• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves announced (Rare, XB1/PC, UE4, Pirates, Shared World Multiplayer)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
¡HarlequinPanic!;168226644 said:
Yes it is a vendetta against you personally.

Gamerz

It was just a joke out of frustration, I don't really believe it is of course. Though after all the teasing (with the broken Banjo, the "true classic Rareware", Kampfheld certainly also playing a role) this is really the ultimate let-down for me. Up until now the most disappointed I have been with anything games related - and became the truth, so dismissing Xbone Periodically-Online-Requirement - was Yoshi's Story - my first console game - being extremely short and extremely easy. It has now been beaten. So yes, I've never been this frustrated with something gaming related in 17 years.

Banjo-Kazooie is one of the best games I've ever played, it is the pinnacle of my favourite subgenre of my favourite genre - which has been dead for more than ten years now. And after almost a year of teasing directed at my most wished-for game, one that would have single-handedly have won E3 for me, no matter what Sony or Nintendo announce, I not only get to see there is no Banjo-Threeie, but there is no "classic Rareware" game either, but just a freaking online-only pirate game that looks like it's ripping off the overused pirate's gameplay from AC3 / AC4 / ACR. As a huge Rare fan to see this as the "rebirth" of said studio is incredibly frustrating. Never have I gone to bed frustrated by something gaming-related to wake up and still be furious about it. Now this time has come for the first time. I will now stop this posting because I fear my language might be to crass right now and it will just end me up banned.

They're determined to make these guys do anything that isn't a 3D platformers aren't they?

Who is they? You are aware that this was Rare's concept for a game, right? They wanted to make this, and I'm glad they're doing something they want. Maybe they don't want to make Banjo (at this time, at least).

Would you prefer the higher ups at MS force Rare to make something they don't want to make? Isn't this what people have been wanting out of Rare for years? I.E. For them to make something they want to make, as opposed to them being forced to make something they don't want to (as the popular narrative goes)?

Granted, I'd personally love a new Banjo, but what they showed today really intrigued me. I'm glad they're working on something that the company is passionate about. And hopefully if this (and the anniversary pack) goes well, they'll work on something else fans want (such as Banjo).

Kevin

I was briefly excited until I noticed that it was an MMO. Had they of made a really well done single player story-driven adventure platformer then this likely would have been a day one purchase for me. Now I'm not even interested currently. We'll see how it continues to develop.

As I posted in another thread, the studio head of Rare said "2/3 to 3/4" of the studio (120 total work at Rare) were on Sea of Thieves and they'd have more to show later in the year (more projects it sounded like, not Sea of Thieves). Gamescom is a week or two after Rare Replay is out so i'd expect them to be there with a smaller game or two thats releasing next year

Would love to see more gameplay of Sea of Thieves and introduce a new game at gamescom. They said they have 2-3 teams. I also want a KI Season 3 announcement

Caayn

MMmhh need to see more, right now I'm not excited or interested in this game despite it being Rare behind the wheel.

So glad it's not Banjo - couldn't think of anything more boring!

Pirate MMO is like my dream game. Shenanigans with my crew on the high seas? I am SO there.

VinFTW

I wanted banjo 3. Just shows Sony listens to its fans more than MS or Rare does.

I mean, this game will probably be fantastic but... Clearly everybody and their fucking mother wanted Banjo 3.

How did they miss that opportunity?

Ugh, nevertheless, im unfortunately intrigued.

This game looked pretty awesome but I'm very skeptical about that running on an Xbox One. Regardless, they've got my attention.

Oh, and I'm currently playing Elder Scrolls Online and it made me realize how much I prefer NOT having nametags floating above player characters in MMOs. I hope they have that as a toggle.

Edit: Oh, it's coming out to Windows 10 as well. That explains why it looks so good.

Cptkrush

Sucks they're still not giving the majority of us what we want. I dunno, are their egos bigger than their ears?
Why do they have to make what we want? Rare has been stuck making what Microsoft wants for years, and finally they get a chance to make what they want. Why should we take that away from them?

Harmen

Not my cup of tea but it does look nice. Too bad it is no Banjo Threeie though, that would be MS's TLG equivalent for me personally.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Not what I would traditionally play or even hope for from Rare but the little we saw looks very promising and I still have faith Rare can deliver some magic.

And yes DAT WATER. Laaaawwwwwwwd.

Watched this with some friends while it was announced and we all thought it was great, could imagine the squad rolling heavy with some cheeky banter all the while sailing the seas and making fools walk the plank. Dope

woen

Why do they have to make what we want? Rare has been stuck making what Microsoft wants for years, and finally they get a chance to make what they want. Why should we take that away from them?

Because a vocal minority is too nostalgic and don't want to let go Banjo for fresher concepts and games that are made because a team wants to make it.

Sucks they're still not giving the majority of us what we want. I dunno, are their egos bigger than their ears?

Are Rare your bitches or what?

Companies do whatever they want. if the product they choose to make is also liked by consumers, they will have profits, or otherwise they will lose money. That's how it works.

Kickz

ReCore is more interesting new IP.

Just disappointed in Rare for going this route. Hopefully a surge in sales of its Rare 30 collection will refocus them.

Azlan

This could be amazing. I just wonder how they can do a massive multiplayer adventure game with ship battles. How does that work? I hope that you have an AI crew on your ship.

Zyae

I wanted banjo 3. Just shows Sony listens to its fans more than MS or Rare does.

I mean, this game will probably be fantastic but... Clearly everybody and their fucking mother wanted Banjo 3.

What a shit post. Why even bring Sony up?

People want new and interesting IPs and this is one.

Sydle

Just registered with me that there were no parrots, monkeys, or rats on any shoulders. Hopefully that's coming.

Rare have other projects in the works which we don't know what they are. Imagine the uproar if MS forced them to make Banjo, this is what they want to make, this is what they are excited about.

I don't know about my mother, but I'm quite happy with the Rare Replay and this, even if MMO/shared world games aren't really my thing.

Dynasty

ReCore is more interesting new IP.

Just disappointed in Rare for going this route. Hopefully a surge in sales of its Rare 30 collection will refocus them.

ReCore is made by the developers of Metroid Prime so that game is going to be amazing. Yh the Pirate game has a lot of potential but don't see it living up to it, I want Rare to make a 3D Platformer doesn't have to e Banjo.

feel

I have never seen so many gaffers upset about a new ip. You people are hilarious. This game looks incredible.
Seriously.

This is some sort of childhood dream videogame come true, an open world mmo pirate game by Rare that looks absolutely gorgeous and everyone's disappointed. Haha.

It was just a joke out of frustration, I don't really believe it is of course. Though after all the teasing (with the broken Banjo, the "true classic Rareware", Kampfheld certainly also playing a role) this is really the ultimate let-down for me. Up until now the most disappointed I have been with anything games related - and became the truth, so dismissing Xbone Periodically-Online-Requirement - was Yoshi's Story - my first console game - being extremely short and extremely easy. It has now been beaten. So yes, I've never been this frustrated with something gaming related in 17 years.

Banjo-Kazooie is one of the best games I've ever played, it is the pinnacle of my favourite subgenre of my favourite genre - which has been dead for more than ten years now. And after almost a year of teasing directed at my most wished-for game, one that would have single-handedly have won E3 for me, no matter what Sony or Nintendo announce, I not only get to see there is no Banjo-Threeie, but there is no "classic Rareware" game either, but just a freaking online-only pirate game that looks like it's ripping off the overused pirate's gameplay from AC3 / AC4 / ACR. As a huge Rare fan to see this as the "rebirth" of said studio is incredibly frustrating. Never have I gone to bed frustrated by something gaming-related to wake up and still be furious about it. Now this time has come for the first time. I will now stop this posting because I fear my language might be to crass right now and it will just end me up banned.

I'm just joining the thread but doesn't Yooka Laylee's existence do anything for you?

Top Bottom