• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves announced (Rare, XB1/PC, UE4, Pirates, Shared World Multiplayer)

Yager

Banned
I have never seen so many gaffers upset about a new ip. You people are hilarious. This game looks incredible.

Totally agree.

"We want new IPs!"

**Rare shows new IP

"But that's not Banjo! This sucks! Microsoft's forcing them again to do a game they don't want!"

----------------------------------

"Rare, we want a new Banjo!"

**Rare shows new IP

"But that's not what we told you! This sucks! Microsoft should've forced them to do a new Banjo because that's what everyone wants!"

Patapwn

Totally agree.

"We want new IPs!"

**Rare shows new IP

"But that's not Banjo! This sucks! Microsoft's forcing them again to do a game they don't want!"

----------------------------------

"Rare, we want a new Banjo!"

**Rare shows new IP

"But that's not what we told you! This sucks! Microsoft should've forced them to do a new Banjo because that's what everyone wants!"
It's almost like different people ask for different things

As a PS4 owner I'm really jealous of this...

Pirate MMO could be such an interesting genre and it definitely had an awesome art style with the studio pedigree to make it, second best announcement behind Cuphead for me.

daTRUballin

We don't know yet.

I'm guessing Fall 2016, but we'll just have to wait and see.

If the game does come out in Fall 2016 (or even later), then I hope Rare has something to fill in the gap besides Rare Replay. Maybe the rumored Battletoads game?

Amir0x

Banned
I must be really fortunate. Never been a RARE fan, dislike most of their N64 titles (except Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini) and I think this looks rad as hell. No roots or expectations, just a cool concept altogether.

Hugstable

Banned
The whole pirate theme with tons of people online and controlling the ship is great, thought the demo showed off the concept of the game well. Can't wait to see more of how this game will develop

Yager

Banned
It's almost like different people ask for different things

I've got the feeling that sometimes people want everything and also dislike everything.

I mean, for quite a while it's been said that MS needed new IPs, and with Sea of Thieves they have something that looks really good. I don't know, I can get that some people might be frustrated, but it's crazy to cross out this game just because it's not Banjo.

I'll take a new and promising IP everyday instead of an old one.

Leflus

If the game does come out in Fall 2016 (or even later), then I hope Rare has something to fill in the gap besides Rare Replay. Maybe the rumored Battletoads game?
There have been hints that Rare is currently incubating different projects. Maybe the Rare Replay team will move over to an unannounced project once it is done with RR.

I've got the feeling that sometimes people want everything and also dislike everything.

I mean, for quite a while it's been said that MS needed new IPs, and with Sea of Thieves they have something that looks really good. I don't know, I can get that some people might be frustrated, but it's crazy to cross out this game just because it's not Banjo.

I'll take a new and promising IP everyday instead of an old one.
I think it's cool that Rare is making a new IP, but I think it's unfortunate that it's an MMO (or MMO-like). It's true that Xbox needs more new IPs, but it also needs more story driven games.

MCD

Look at FF7 and Shenmue 3 positive reactions. MS and Rare could have ended the conference with an even higher note after announcing backward compatibility with Banjo Threeie.

But no. Let's keep ignoring what people actually want even after the countless teasing and make a new MMO that will prolly bomb harder than nuts and bolts.

I am still happy for Rare doing what they want but I won't deny the bitterness of not getting Banjo.

Poona

I have never seen so many gaffers upset about a new ip. You people are hilarious. This game looks incredible.

When I think of Rare games I think of charming/unique characters. I'd love new IP as well as already existing IP from Rare, but where is the Rare flavour in this character wise? Where is the standout character? Just a bunch of anonymous avatars, like Kinect Sports was it seems. This could have come from any dev it seems.

It's like they've just got some used over kinect sports humans and got them to dress up in pirate clothing. That and being a MMO. Why? Is there really no single player component? Nothing to do by yourself?

I am going to give this a look at when it comes out and I may even somehow like it, but when I look at it doesn't seem Rare to me. I could look at the other new IP released on 360 in Kameo and Viva Pinata, and say 'how great.. I love it. Another great from Rare - definite get' I look at this and it's just 'Huh?'.

daTRUballin

There have been hints that Rare is currently incubating different projects. Maybe the Rare Replay team will move over to an unannounced project once it is done with RR.

Maybe, but I think a Battletoads is definitely coming. There have been so many hints towards it over the past year or so. Even Nick Burton, a Rare employee who has been there for awhile, was wearing a Battletoads shirt in that Rare retrospective video that IGN put up yesterday. Just like Phil Spencer was earlier this year.

I think something's definitely going on with that IP.

daTRUballin

I must be really fortunate. Never been a RARE fan, dislike most of their N64 titles (except Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini) and I think this looks rad as hell. No roots or expectations, just a cool concept altogether.

Oh wow. Amir0x finally says something positive about a Rare game. :p

Look at FF7 and Shenmue 3 positive reactions. MS and Rare could have ended the conference with an even higher note after announcing backward compatibility with Banjo Threeie.

But no. Let's keep ignoring what people actually want even after the countless teasing and make a new MMO that will prolly bomb harder than nuts and bolts.

I am still happy for Rare doing what they want but I won't deny the bitterness of not getting Banjo.

So would you prefer Rare to be working on something they don't want to be working on (presumably Banjo in this case)?

Sea of Thieves seems to be completely what Rare wants to be working on right now. I think it's great that they're working on something that they're extremely passionate about.

I also think there is a very good chance we're going to get a new Banjo soon, too (I wouldn't even be shocked if we got that announcement at Gamescon, although that's unlikely). These two things can coexist quite happily. We don't have to cancel a passion project for Rare to get Banjo (our vice versa).

Also wasn't there a rumor that Rare currently had at least two projects going on internally, one based on unreal engine 4 (I think) and another being built with Unity? I wonder what that second project could be. Replay is a collection of old games, so that wouldn't necessarily fit, would it?

Yager

Banned

I don't think that's how it works, specially after the things they showed at the conference.

Anyway, if studios and publishers used forums as a guide to what they should and shouldn't do, the industry would be pretty much dead.

Tumeke NZ

Banned
When I think of Rare games I think of charming/unique characters. I'd love new IP as well as already existing IP from Rare, but where is the Rare flavour in this character wise? Where is the standout character? Just a bunch of anonymous avatars, like Kinect Sports was it seems. This could have come from any dev it seems.

It's like they've just got some used over kinect sports humans and got them to dress up in pirate clothing. That and being a MMO. Why? Is there really no single player component? Nothing to do by yourself?

I am going to give this a look at when it comes out and I may even somehow like it, but when I look at it doesn't seem Rare to me. I could look at the other new IP released on 360 in Kameo and Viva Pinata, and say 'how great.. I love it. Another great from Rare - definite get' I look at this and it's just 'Huh?'.

Wow so Rare get to try something different and get slammed for not making it cutesy and Banjo like??
Yeah it's a shame Naughty Dog stopped making cartoony Jak games and decided to make that terrible The Last of Us game. What were they thinking?? /s
How about judge it when you know more or actually experience it first hand.
I thought this site was for gamers but all I see is knee jerk reactions and double standards

Poona

Wow so Rare get to try something different and get slammed for not making it cutesy and Banjo like??

It doesn't specifically need to be cutesy. I wouldn't really classify Joanna Dark or Battletoads as particularly cutesy.

I just want a character to latch onto I think. There wasn't really any character in the kinect sports games, just random soulless human avatars, and Sea of Thieves just seems the same continuation of that (after placing some pirate clothes on them)..

Leflus

Maybe, but I think a Battletoads is definitely coming. There have been so many hints towards it over the past year or so. Even Nick Burton, a Rare employee who has been there for awhile, was wearing a Battletoads shirt in that Rare retrospective video that IGN put up yesterday. Just like Phil Spencer was earlier this year.

I think something's definitely going on with that IP.
Everything is possible after this E3. :) Rare and Rare IP are finally being put to better use.

-Sea of Thieves. New core IP with Gregg Mayles as the project lead.
-Rare Replay. Potentially the best retro collection in years!
-Killer Instinct. Fun reboot by DH/IG/MS.
-Conker in Project Spark and Battletoads in Shovel Knight (not huge things of course, but still nice bonus content).

I agree that a Battletoads game is probably coming at some point.

daTRUballin

Everything is possible after this E3. :) Rare and Rare IP are finally being put to better use.

-Sea of Thieves. New core IP with Gregg Mayles as the project lead.
-Rare Replay. Potentially the best retro collection in years!
-Killer Instinct. Fun reboot by DH/IG/MS.
-Conker in Project Spark and Battletoads in Shovel Knight (not huge things of course, but still nice bonus content).

I agree that a Battletoads game is probably coming at some point.

Yeah, these are definitely great times to be a Rare fan. :p

It seems MS is finally giving them creative freedom after having Rare make Kinect Sports games for the last five years or so. It's funny how some people are upset about Rare making a new IP, but isn't that pretty much what everyone wanted? People have been wanting Rare to move on to core games for awhile.

I do hope they will revive Banjo someday tho. :/

It does put a damper on it for me, sorry to say so.

Everything from that game looked amazing but having to rely on other people to play with makes it very unappealing.

only thing i dont like about this.

everything else was alright i need to see some straight gameplay before i decide to buy it

Yeah, these are definitely great times to be a Rare fan. :p

It seems MS is finally giving them creative freedom after having Rare make Kinect Sports games for the last five years or so. It's funny how some people are upset about Rare making a new IP, but isn't that pretty much what everyone wanted? People have been wanting Rare to move on to core games for awhile.

I do hope they will revive Banjo someday tho. :/

apparently not.

HowZatOZ

Banned

Oh are you a fortune teller now? We have absolutely no clue what Rare are up to besides this title, so jumping to conclusions is so hilariously stupid that it can only come from those who jump up and down screaming that they want it their way like a petulant child.

People like MMO's, this looks like it has potential and has a great developer behind it as well.

zero86r

It does put a damper on it for me, sorry to say so.

Everything from that game looked amazing but having to rely on other people to play with makes it very unappealing.
That would be my concern too particularly regarding naval exploration/combat,if I can have a competent AI crew and not need other players then I'll be happy otherwise it wouldn't work for me.

D-Stubbs

I'm honestly glad Rare is doing this game over another Banjo game. Loved Banjo back in the day and yeah would love to play another but that franchise has had it's time. Give me something new and this looks really cool and interesting. A Pirate game I can play with friends? Sign me up.

Meaty

this is very exciting. I dont know how talented rare is atm with making good gameplay, but the concept and the visuals got me on board.

Now MS only needs to announce a slim version for me to jump in the xbox train =/

SparkTR

Don't you need an Xbox One to play this on the PC? I think that's the catch, because Phil Spencer was talking about that recently, right?

It's a native Windows 10 version, like KI and Gears Ultimate Edition. Every game has in-home streaming, not every game has Windows 10 versions.

Red Hood

Banned
It's a native Windows 10 version, like KI and Gears Ultimate Edition. Every game has in-home streaming, not every game has Windows 10 versions.

Nice! If it's natively on Windows 10 then consider my interest peaked. It may not be Banjo-Threeie, but considering I was doubting whether current Rare could pull it off anyway, a new IP is a great workaround.

deleted

streaming from your XB1 to W10 lol

stop pretending every XB1 game published or developed by MS or its first parties will come to PC eventually

I'm not, but since MS will bring a few games over to PC now and Rare is starting to build something on PC, it would be cool to also get the old legacy stuff.

Entirely okay if it doesn't make it, but it's not like there isn't a chance or precedent to warrant at least asking if something was announced...

Etnos

Banned
I'm not into MMOs but this one looks like it could be a lot of fun. Love the art-style!
also...
pirates
PIRATES
PIRATES!

Tntnico

I like the look of the game but my excitement is cushioned by the fact that the game is most likely Free2Play according to a job posting from Rare https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=6&jid=180714&jlang=EN&pp=SS where they seek a Retention Designer for the game with

Yep, that was a given, and seeing the game trailer juste confirms it. Rare was looking for people with "Software as a service" experience, like Lionhead. Can't wait to have more informations on this. I'm very excited :)

sangreal

Common... 2015, MMO? of course it's going be free to play, doesn't necessarily means that is a bad thing, monetisation can be done right.

Still not convinced it is an MMO, but regardless... does Rare have history of implementing a decent monetization policy? KSR was a joke and wasn't even f2p (but should have been)

I'm not reflexively opposed to F2P if it is done well, but it sets off all kinds of alarm bells -- especially with MMOs (RIP non-f2p MMOs. I remember fondly when SOE was raked over the coals for suggesting introducing real money purchases into online games)

Blimey. I just watched the trailer for the first time and I'm pretty sure that's the best water I've ever seen. Looked amazing!

Top Bottom