• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves announced (Rare, XB1/PC, UE4, Pirates, Shared World Multiplayer)

Moobabe

One of the seeming few that's happy this is online with players.

If it turns out to be good then it might push me to get an Xbox One.

squidyj

If this game turns out well it could be the one that makes me buy an Xbox One.

I don't think i twill, all the best bits I think will rely on a group of people that want to make the game work and work together... good luck finding a lot of that.

I just don't understand though, why not just make Banjo 3? Thats what everyone wants and it wouldn't be hard to make, and it would sell more than this. Why not just make Banjo 3?

Aeqvitas

I don't know why people are saying MMO when I think they said "shared world" so it is probably much more similar to something like Destiny, where you can do a lot of it by yourself and other people show up in your instance.

I think this looks fantastic. And we need more pirate games.

Heroman

Banned
I just don't understand though, why not just make Banjo 3? Thats what everyone wants and it wouldn't be hard to make, and it would sell more than this. Why not just make Banjo 3?
Making a good 3d platformer is really hard to make and people whom can do that aren't with rare any more.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Some will never be pleased, some people only want the same shit Rare produced 10-20 years ago
If one literally wanted that, one would be more than happy with the Rare Collection and wouldn't care what else Rare has announced. However, if someone is a fan of the Rare style of games (say, 1994-2005), then this hurts immensely. This is a game we could have gotten from all kinds of developers. It looks like half an Assassin's Creed game with MMO elements and more colourful graphics. Yes, I want something like what made Rare special 10-20 years ago. Not exactly the same games, but continuations. It's not like I'm shouting "I want a full remake of Banjo-Kazooie". No, I want a true sucessor. And if I cannot have that because Microsoft just continues on insisting no one is interested in that, then I at least want something in the spirit of "classic Rareware", especially if that is what I am being promised before by Spencer among others. And an online-only Assassin's Creed 4-copy has nothing to do with classic Rareware. At all.

But let me show you what I mean. Compare this
banjo-kazooie-wallpaper-nintendo-64-cover-1920x1320-hd.jpg

Kameocover.jpg

2483712-diddy_kong_racing.jpg

conker%27s-bad-fur-day-pic2.jpg

1259808-donkey_kong_donkey_kong4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

to this:
294014-sea%20of%20thieves%20xbox%20one.jpg

I'll thow in something of a similar style:
kinect-sports-screen1.jpg

And tell me I'm solely demanding the same game over and over again instead of a certain style of game design philosphy and overall feel to a game. The only thing that makes me more furious than this announcement of Rare's right now is postings like yours that treat us Rare fans as if we were sitting here crying for Final Fantasy VII remake or an HD remaster, because we want to play the same game in better visuals again. Because sure as hell, I am not doing this. At all. And it's a disgrace that a small inide team of six people can offer a way better return to Rareware of old than a 100+ people team that carries the fricking NAME Rare.

WinFonda

This looked fantastic, art style is great. Never woulda thought I'd be the most excited for a Rare game out of everything but it's true. Game of Microsoft's show for me. Well done Rare!

TriGen

Could be cool. I like the colorful art-style and pirate theme, plus my brother has an XBO so maybe the MP could be a plus for me. I don't know what to think exactly, but it has some potential.

I hope this turns out well. It looked great, though I'm not too hot on the online. But whatever, glad to Rare making something substantial again.

Fredrik

Looked great but since I won't touch it unless it's offline single player I'm really sad to see that this is what Rare has been up to all these years :(

Ramenman

I want to know what this is about, because there's no way I could tell.

I mean, gameplay-wise what exactly is it. The trailer didn't even really say what was the over arching goal or something. It really lacked explanations.

The art style is cool but other than that I don't know what it is.

KiraXD

looks cool but... MMO im not sure of. i already have FFXIV im dedicated to....

plus its kinda a letdown when they started off showing Banjo, Conkers, Etc... then drop a classics rerelease and this... what a letdown lol.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well so much for a Rare IP to make a comeback and after Killer Instinct being handled by someone else this tells me that Microsoft doesn't trust Rare to handle Rare IPs (for good reason since most of them left already anyways) and so Rare continues to tumble around in their tomb.

Concept is interesting but it looked boring in terms of being a participant of the game

For example, it looked like on the ship 1 person steers (captain presumably) then other people were manning cannons. So unless you can fire cannons rapidly like a gatling laser gun, thats super boring for everybody except the captain.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
People really don't like multiplayer games it seems.

Concept is interesting but it looked boring in terms of being a participant of the game

For example, it looked like on the ship 1 person steers (captain presumably) then other people were manning cannons. So unless you can fire cannons rapidly like a gatling laser gun, thats super boring for everybody except the captain.

Try Guns of Icarus

Have you thought that perhaps Rare doesn't want to make Banjo 3?

Yooka-Laylee is basically Banjo 3 anyway. I don't understand why people are still clamoring for more Banjo after that game was revealed. I, for one, am actually happy to see Rare try something new. This looks great.

Kinsei

Banned
Christ, apparently Rare can't win.

Looks interesting to me.

Announce a new Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata, Banjo, Conker, etc and they would win. Announce a new single player IP that has that Rare artistic flair with a good gameplay showing and they'd win.

They could have very easily had a great E3 showing, they just decided to make the wrong game.

alouette

Really interested in this. Looks good. A little sad, that there was too less gameplay to see.
It felt like Monkey Island for me, as I saw the graphics and music the first time. A great way to start some good feelings, in my case. Even if it´s, obviously, a completely different gameplay ^^

RK128

If one literally wanted that, one would be more than happy with the Rare Collection and wouldn't care what else Rare has announced. However, if someone is a fan of the Rare style of games (say, 1994-2005), then this hurts immensely. This is a game we could have gotten from all kinds of developers. It looks like half an Assassin's Creed game with MMO elements and more colourful graphics. Yes, I want something like what made Rare special 10-20 years ago. Not exactly the same games, but continuations. It's not like I'm shouting "I want a full remake of Banjo-Kazooie". No, I want a true sucessor. And if I cannot have that because Microsoft just continues on insisting no one is interested in that, then I at least want something in the spirit of "classic Rareware", especially if that is what I am being promised before by Spencer among others. And an online-only Assassin's Creed 4-copy has nothing to do with classic Rareware. At all.

Kameocover.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

to this:

And tell me I'm solely demanding the same game over and over again instead of a certain style of game design philosphy and overall feel to a game. The only thing that makes me more furious than this announcement of Rare's right now is postings like yours that treat us Rare fans as if we were sitting here crying for Final Fantasy VII remake or an HD remaster, because we want to play the same game in better visuals again. Because sure as hell, I am not doing this. At all. And it's a disgrace that a small inide team of six people can offer a way better return to Rareware of old than a 100+ people team that carries the fricking NAME Rare.

I think we need to see more of this game in action before we can call out "Its not Rare", as for all we know, this could be the next-generation version of the long scrapped Project Dream.

That what I thought of once I saw the trailer and I personally can't wait to see what Rare has in store for this project. It could be a great game and while its not like their past efforts, it is very important to point out that this isn't 'Rare'.

Like what happened with Retro Studios after Prime 3, the team grew and expanded, with some original talent leaving forming their own studio. Nintendo gave them the keys to make a Donkey Kong Country tittle and the rest is history; they worked hard in making something unlike anything seen in Prime, leading to two fantastic platformers being born.

With this, that is my mentality with Rare; they moved on from their past and want to do something new, that they never done before. Honestly, I prefer them making a new IP like this instead slapping one of their older ones to this and passing it off as a continuation of Banjo or Conker :l.

I hope that this game ends up being a great game and I have strong expectations it will be; this is Rare's first 'big' chance since Nuts and Bolts. They wont fuck this up :).

Kameocover.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

to this:

Thanks for reminding how nasty the old 3D Rare games look compared to 360 and afterwards :p

tumblr_nfm6ed56eX1tptpfqo5_540.png

Looks interesting to me, like a mixture of Guns of Icarus and Assassin's Creed 4. Hopefully this turns out well for Rare, and they aren't stuck making sports games anymore.

Dabanton

Hopefully those battles are a lot more tactical.

Than just firing wildly.

Top Bottom