• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves announced (Rare, XB1/PC, UE4, Pirates, Shared World Multiplayer)

I just don't understand though, why not just make Banjo 3? Thats what everyone wants and it wouldn't be hard to make, and it would sell more than this. Why not just make Banjo 3?
Whose everyone? As hard as it might be to swallow, a game like Banjo would be a very difficult sell to children, especially on the Xbox. Like it or not, that would be the target demographic, not adults. It was the target demographic the day the original came out and still would be. 3D platformers aren't very popular anymore. As much as I'd like to see a new Banjo game, it's not surprising to see year after year no dice.

Mahonay

Banned
I think this looks really interesting, love the super characterized swashbuckling type thing they have going, and it's great to see a fresh new IP. Honestly one of the games that peaked my interest most during the Microsoft conference. Although details are obviously slim at the moment.

Too bad a lot of people in here seem to be immediately burying this game because it's not Banjo-Kazooie 3.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
b3akoGp.png

That's the Rare I know and love!

_woLf

This looks fantastic. I'm not sure why people are complaining. If you want a Banjo Kazooie game go play Yooka Laylee. This is something entirely new that actually looks appealing, something Rare hasn't done in a long time.

Illucio

Banned
The true essence of Rare is taking a genre (whether it be motion sports, 3D platforming, FPS, Fighting Games etc) and turning it into something special and unique.

MMO is a new step for Rare's already massive stable.

This is Rare.

No this is a company NAMED RARE, the Rare you and I knew left a long time ago buddy. :/

I would still rather see this game become a Open World RPG instead, the game would be more successful if they did so.

demolitio

Definitely the most intriguing game from the conference in my opinion. It's either going to be amazing or be a massive letdown. I love me some naval combat though.

Looked interesting but somewhat light on the gameplay front other than ship combat. Hopefully, some people will get to play this on the show floor (if it's on the show floor) and find out what you actual do in the game.

Maron

This didn't get me much excited for Rare again. :(

Was really hoping to see a new game with Rare magic again, Just seemed like a bunch of random human pirate people running in a forest and then shooting cannons. Might as well have been the human characters from Kinect Sports in their own adventure game.

Where are the fantastical worlds or fuzzy animal characters? :(

Will get that Rare collection and hope for more magic from Rare again soon.

This. I was really huped for a possible Banjo announcement, what with all the hints and rumors.

At least I know to not get my hopes up for a new Banjo title for Rare. Hopefully this game turns out better than the reveal appeared.

Pirates are almost always fun, but beyond the theme and co-op boating, I'm not sure what this game is yet. And like, that one guy was raising the sails, just standing there pulling a rope. How do you make interactions like that engaging?

Kinsei

Banned
Whose everyone? As hard as it might be to swallow, a game like Banjo would be a very difficult sell to children, especially on the Xbox. Like it or not, that would be the target demographic, not adults. It was the target demographic the day the original came out and still would be. 3D platformers aren't very popular anymore. As much as I'd like to see a new Banjo game, it's not surprising to see year after year no dice.

Then why all of the Banjo teasing from Microsoft? The Banjo thing at that conference earlier this year, a "uniquely Rare game", and Phil Spencer's most recently played game last night was Banjo-Kazooie. There's no way they could have thought the people that they were hyping up would have been happy with Rare Replay and this.

harSon

Banned
I'm not going to lie. This announcement was a huge disappointment to me. I'm at the point in my gaming career where my sensibilities are quickly swinging away from MP, and more towards single player experiences where I can sit down and plow through at my own pace - when my schedule permits.

I was kind of hoping Rare's new game would fit that mold. I know I've been saying I'd rather the current Rare naturally develop their next title utilizing their own strengths and sensibilities, instead of trying to relive the "glory days" that they had no part of. But I'm still disappointed. That's not to say that the game doesn't look good. If this were 10 years ago, I'd be hyped. But these types of games (Fable Legends too) just don't do it for me anymore :(

Hopefully I'll see some stuff in the future that changes my mind.

SRTtoZ

It's disappointing as a Rare game but I think we don't see enough of Pirates in video games so I'm cool with this. I guess we'll see...

Green Yoshi

I don't expect this game to be ever released but the collection is really nice (30 games for 30 bucks), so I won't complain.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
not sure I would consider an XBONE for this....

but it's the closest MS has gotten yet to making me think about it.

Will keep on eye on this.

I'm not going to lie. This announcement was a huge disappointment to me. I'm at the point in my gaming career where my sensibilities are quickly swinging away from MP, and more towards single player experiences where I can sit down and plow through at my own pace - when my schedule permits.

I was kind of hoping Rare's new game would fit that mold. I know I've been saying I'd rather the current Rare naturally develop their next title utilizing their own strengths and sensibilities, instead of trying to relive the "glory days" that they had no part of. But I'm still disappointed. That's not to say that the game doesn't look good. If this were 10 years ago, I'd be hyped. But these types of games (Fable Legends too) just don't do it for me anymore :(

Hopefully I'll see some stuff in the future that changes my mind.

This!
I thought they would finally make a Banjo or Battletoads game... you know, Single-Player stuff. At first it was Kinect stuff, now it's MMO/Online stuff. Ugh!
Disappointed and not interested at all.

SRTtoZ

not sure I would consider an XBONE for this....

but it's the closest MS has gotten yet to making me think about it.

Will keep on eye on this.

There's a windows icon on the bottom near the XB1 logo, so it could be a win10 thing.

Sydle

I immediately thought of Project Dream and the MMO they always wanted to make. It looks good.

Hopefully there are a ton of areas to explore, lots of loot, and great RPG elements. I also hope that giant octopus drawing on the rock is a hint of more stuff to be weary of in the sea.

EDIT: the new Rare website is awesome and the official Sea of Thieves website definitely hints at more to the world than rival crews.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I profess to never doubt Rare being dead to me. The prospect of a Battletoads, or Banjo or Perfect Dark had me intrigued but they show this? That's no Rare's DNA Phil. Hec, a Viva Piñata for the casuals would of been preferred.

The collection was more impressive.

Nothing really happened during the trailer so I don't really know. Nice that Rare is doing something else than Kinect Sports though.

harSon

Banned
I would have been infinitely more excited had they taken this same game, and tailor made it for a single player experience :(

Doffen

I'm glad we're getting a new IP from Rare.
They need to do this before they go back to Banjo, prove Rare as a studio can deliver a core game and then deliver new installments for their beloved franchises.

Kinsei

Banned
They need to do this before they go back to Banjo, prove Rare as a studio can deliver a core game and then deliver new installments for their beloved franchises.

How does making a good MMO prove they can do a new single player game? The design philosophies are completely different.

harSon

Banned

But this screams like the type of game that's going to bomb. Fable Legends too. It's incredibly difficult to find success within the multiplayer oriented sphere of gaming.

Toad.T

Banned
I'd figure they'd also announce a side project with an old IP as well. Like how Double Helix handled KI. It isn't a HUGE loss however. The collection probably is also a test to see how said old IP's would function in the modern market.

Top Bottom