• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves announced (Rare, XB1/PC, UE4, Pirates, Shared World Multiplayer)

Yuterald

I'm not going to lie. This announcement was a huge disappointment to me. I'm at the point in my gaming career where my sensibilities are quickly swinging away from MP, and more towards single player experiences where I can sit down and plow through at my own pace - when my schedule permits.

I'm right there with you.

Looks interesting. Wouldn't mind if we could get one platformer to Xbox too, but I think it's great they can do their own game, not something that relies on legacy of old game.

Too bad Kampfheld was already banned, I'd like to have a word.

Yeah, I think this all but confirms that his banning was the right move. I am still intrigued by all of the stuff he showed re: cloud technology and all of the knowledge he had about XB1 software updates (he had to be an employee of MS or a company doing work for MS); but his information on Banjo was definitely off. Too bad, was hoping for that.

That being said, Sea of Thieves looks pretty cool and interesting. The art style is really cool, and I'm a sucker for pirate anything. Can't wait to see more.

Miles X

Ugh. Do not want.

After all the hyping, after all the fucking YEARS we have been begging for them to work on their old IP, or at least do a classic new rare game.

We get a collection and this bland (but beautiful I admit) looking MMO ...

I'm beyond gutted. I didn't think it was possible I would be disappointed with Rare at E3 this year.

thetwinsattack

Neo Member
This water / sailing reveal made me gasp. No idea how anyone could be disappointed!

E8KEaYo.gif

GavinGT

Banned
Ugh. Do not want.

After all the hyping, after all the fucking YEARS we have been begging for them to work on their old IP, or at least do a classic new rare game.

I'm beyond gutted. I didn't think it was possible I would be disappointed with Rare at E3 this year.

You get to run a pirate crew with your friends. Shit sounds hype.

I'm thankful they didn't show Banjo 3 because it means I still don't have to buy an Xbox One yet.

That was the one silver lining from the crushing disappointment. No Banjo saves me $410.

But I would have been willing to pay if we were finally getting Banjo-Threeie.

Havik

Hoping they will talk more about this game during the rest of E3. If this is supposed to launch early 2016 it should be somewhat complete allready.

After all the hype for a new Battletoads or other Rare old franchise I officially give up on this company. This game does not look bad but come on it doesn't come even close to any Rare classic. At least he got Playtonic to give us what we want

Gartooth

I'm gonna have to eat crow on the post I made earlier in this thread. The game's concept sounds pretty fun. I'm not sold at all on what I've seen, but my negative reaction stems mostly from what it isn't. That's not really fair to the game though so I will try to be optimistic and not a brat about it.

Also I might (I probably will) eat shit and buy an Xbone anyway for the Rare Replay so why not try this.
I'm still mad about no Banjo-Threeie. :mad:

GavinGT

Banned
After all the hype for a new Battletoads or other Rare old franchise I officially give up on this company. This game does not look bad but come on it doesn't come even close to any Rare classic. At least he got Playtonic to give us what we want

Are you saying you would've preferred a new Battletoads over this? Because that's crazy.

SparkTR

Ugh. Do not want.

Definitely feel the same way, was dead set on a third Banjo game being released. A collection of games I've already finished and this wasn't what I was hoping for.

I do hope to be wrong about this, but it sort of felt like those cheap survival MMO's that Steam is littered with at the moment that are buggy and never fully complete.

"The story people want to hear is that Microsoft came in and destroyed everything. It wasn’t like that. They gave us freedom, almost more freedom than Nintendo gave us."

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/23/playtonic-rare-collaborate-banjo-kazooie-ukulele

But even before that quote, I had the feeling Rare had no direction after the Stamper bros left and it clearly showed with the games released under Microsoft. Rare just wasn't a great game studio anymore and it wasn't Microsoft's fault.

I can't imagine how many prototypes Rare shelved this whole time and were only confident in a few projects.

Some of you guys are freaking weird you want another Banjo.... yet when you did get one. You did not like it at all. Make up you're minds.

Any was glad Rare is doing something new yet within their style. Can't want to pirate.

Some disappointed folks in here, got damn.

I think this could be a really good title. I want a new Banjo/Battle toads just as much as the next person but I also don't mind if they want to branch off and do something new and interesting.

I have a good feeling about this one and looking forward to more details on the game. Hey it could of just been a new Kinect game or some shit.

Kinsei

Banned
Some disappointed folks in here, got damn.

I think this could be a really good title. I want a new Banjo/Battle toads just as much as the next person but I also don't mind if they want to branch off and do something new and interesting.

I have a good feeling about this one and looking forward to more details on the game. Hey it could of just been a new Kinect game or some shit.

I'd rather a Kinect game. I can't stand games like this.

Maybe they'll reveal some sort of single player mode so there's a chance I can enjoy it.

Arnie

Jesus, the harsh reactions to this. Christ alive.

It's a fucking big open pirate multiplayer game by Rare. It's an exceptional proposition on paper. And it looks gorgeous amidst a sea (excuse the pun) of soulless shooters and post apocalyptic blob-fests.

I want to walk the plank and jump into that water to face the sharks. And the music made me smile.

In fact the whole game did. It could be utter shit but right now it's a breath of fresh air.

leeh

People want new original IP from Rare what looks great, gets announced, people aren't happy. I just don't get the internet.

Looks fun this, water looks great. Why is the water so good in like wave racing games but then bad in everything else?

Jesus, the harsh reactions to this. Christ alive.

It's a fucking big open pirate multiplayer game by Rare. It's an exceptional proposition on paper. And it looks gorgeous amidst a sea (excuse the pun) of soulless shooters and post apocalyptic blob-fests.

I want to walk the plank and jump into that water to face the sharks. And the music made me smile.

In fact the whole game did. It could be utter shit but right now it's a breath of fresh air.

Agreed, its leaps and bounds better than a new Kinect Sports game. I'm not ready to jump on the hype train just yet though. It looks like a very rough early demo, which is fine and looks promising but I'd rather wait to see more of the game.

Very excited about this, I really need a good pirate game and so far I love everything I see. Go forth Rare, leave the past (legacy) behind you ( some games should stay in the past) and do whatever the hell you want, cause it looks like, that's how the See of Thieves was born!!!

Leflus

This water / sailing reveal made me gasp. No idea how anyone could be disappointed!

E8KEaYo.gif
I have no complaints against the graphics. They look great!

I am however disappointed that it sounds like it's going to be an online only game. I hate that trend. : / I would have been 100% on board (heh) if it was a single player adventure game.

As it stands right now I'm going to try it when it comes out, but I can't say I'm super hyped for it.

I'm happy that they're no longer working on Kinect Sports, though!

Miles X

People want new original IP from Rare what looks great, gets announced, people aren't happy. I just don't get the internet.

Looks fun this, water looks great. Why is the water so good in like wave racing games but then bad in everything else?

Are you somehow suggesting we should like any new original IP that rare comes out with? Don't be ridiculous.

And people want classics like Banjo, in their true form, or Rare esq games like that. I didn't see much about Sea of Thieves that was classically Rare.

I would have been 100% on board (heh) if it was a single player adventure game.

Then buy Yooka-Laylee when it releases. That's the game for nostalgic Rare fans.

I want them to do something different, they gotta move past game design circa 1997. It's one of the reasons the industry has past Rare by.

Top Bottom