• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Season's Beatings: Summer Slam

Dahbomb

This is ridiculous...

Noel "Best in the World" Brown wins a major and there are no Bill Duke gifs?

macside.GIF

That Yipes vs PRBalrog final match final moment where Yipes didn't XFC the Million Dollars with Vergil still has me shocked. Yipes is exceptionally skilled and top 3 in the EC IMO but sometimes he makes the most questionable decisions as a player.

I still don't get Combo's team either, his Doom is pretty bad too. Best thing about the tournament (aside from Noel "Best in the World" Brown winning) is the return to form of Viscant. Not 100% back but he is definitely back to being a formidable player. I saw numerous instances of team counter picks and this is what I like to see.

Did I say he sandbagged SS and I still stand by that statement and the knock for Marlin was he never won a Major even thought he won Canada cup SS just made it so no one can say that anymore.

i guess nothing at SB could've topped waking up, walking over to my macbook, and watching Kyohei's Journey: Redemption while the coffee brewed

my hazy smelly ass was doing the doom dance at 7am or w/e it was

jbug617

Banned
For the East Coast I think Marlinpie, Chris G, Noel and Yipes can compete with West Coast top talent. Players like Ray Ray, Josh Wong, Ry Ry are a step below those 4.

Congrats to Noel Brown. Sad to see The Champ didn't win, but I guess you can't have it all. Gnna be a sick Evo with all those guys, this years SS crew, a few surprise Japanese players, and probably a few other surprises.

So hyped

I just wanna put it out there that I tuned in to the finestKO stream and someone just connected with Thor's hyper command grab. LOL wtf

I still don't get Combo's team either, his Doom is pretty bad too.

His Doom is 4 days old, what were you expecting? She Hulk is still very good as an anti-derp rushdown character and having missiles prevents her opponent from playing patiently and picking their spot. This is certainly one of the few setups that can make her a threat.

Infinite

His Doom is 4 days old, what were you expecting? She Hulk is still very good as an anti-derp rushdown character and having missiles prevents her opponent from playing patiently and picking their spot. This is certainly one of the few setups that can make her a threat.

"Neutral" assist like task arrows (lol) work better for her imo though. the potential to "combo break" with missiles is cool though.

Lethality

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;37626609 said:
glad Fraudscant lost.

Seriously? I mean, sure he plays Phoenix, but try getting past the best of the best with a Phoenix team, especially with all the anti-Phoenix tech around these days, see how far you get. Give the man credit, getting past PR Rog and Yipes is pretty fucking good.

Did they ever say how many people entered each game. This wasn't meant to be bigger then the real SB in October, but I'm curious to know good the turn out was considering that fact.

Road

I don't think Viscant is a fraud, but it's about time he'd learned some character not named Wesker -- even his Phoenix is still meh.

I don't think Viscant is a fraud, but it's about time he'd learned some character not named Wesker -- even his Phoenix is still meh.
I like viscant, but this. Fchamp has a great Phoenix and let her rock to decent success a few times at SS. Viscant seems to look for the hard tag immediately. Not that he shouldn't probably do that, but his incoming character ate a full combo a bunch of times.

Also lol at pr rog. Great player, but for being a shit talker himself he doesn't seem capable of taking much back.

Dahbomb

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;37626609 said:
glad Fraudscant lost.
Getting top 2 at a non west coast major makes someone a fraud?

I do agree that viscant needs to step up his non wesker characters. Its a harsh environment for Phoenix players these days.

So after catching up on ss2k12 i can say without question that the only good character on viscants team is his wesker, and its not great. Champ and tokidos phoenix's are light years ahead. hes a great player but to take evo again hes going to need to watch some film and take notes.

ilMikhail

So after catching up on ss2k12 i can say without question that the only good character on viscants team is his wesker, and its not great. Champ and tokidos phoenix's are light years ahead. hes a great player but to take evo again hes going to need to watch some film and take notes.

really ? I think Viscant's Wesker is really good , he was the best in Vanilla and still good in UMVC3

Viscant always is that guy who analyze analyze and analyze some more but doesn't learn that fast. It's like he has all these great ideas and strategies on paper but he can't apply any of them.

I feel like even though it's extremely unlikely for Viscant to win EVO he has a shot. Because he for the most part plays really smart.

A) He doesn't style
B) He doesn't have dumb assist calls.
C) He understands when to x-factor or when not to.

If you watch Combofiend play for the most part he likes to keep his X-factor for his 3rd character. However sometimes he gets lucky and gets a happy birthday and usually he would try to capitalize on it with an x-factor but he blows the combo 90% of the time. Why? Because he not used to those situation a lucky hit landed in his lap that caught him by surprise so he tried to make the most of it but unfortunately screws up.

Viscant on the other hand for the most part never deviate from his game plan, and I kind of like that.

really ? I think Viscant's Wesker is really good , he was the best in Vanilla and still good in UMVC3

Combo wise Jimmy Tran, Mine, and Chris G all have much better and more optimize Wesker combos.
Movement wise Justin and Mine is better than Viscant.

I think Mine is by far the best Wesker.

Tobe

you are probably not watching the big picture here, viscant is a player with absolute no execution skills, he wins with pure strategy and mental fortitude. his wesker and mixups are top notch. dude has serious yomi skills. yes his other 2 characters are sub-par no question on that tho.
i would say that he is in the top 3 weskers in the world just cause how smart he plays him.

Oh my, the defence force! Viscant's Wesker isn't even that great. I guess he wouldn't be a fraud if combos were meant to be dropped. I want him to win Evo because it would be hilarious to me, but if there is anything right in this world that won't happen again.

Viscant is probably my favourite player to watch. He has his own style, it works, and I enjoy it.

Sure he can play exactly like everybody else and not be called a 'fraud'. But he wouldn't do as well, and the game would be poorer for it. It is that type of 'the right way to play' thinking that makes sfxt what it is and holds certain parts of the community back.

Good on him and I hope he takes out EVO again. Nobody thought he would last time either. But he did.

Top Bottom