• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Phthisis

I did Ashland Lakes a couple weeks ago and it was gorgeous. Really amazing trail. However, getting there will require a sense of adventure and a rugged vehicle, as it's on a "road" that turns off an unpaved forest road (that's how you know you're in the boonies).

I'm currently in Toledo, Spain. It's in the upper 90s, but the place we're staying at has AC and there is also an underground cave to escape the heat. I'm so glad I'm not back in Green Lake in my brick house. The AC unit is in our daughter's room while my wife and I normally sleep in the basement.

cdyhybrid

I'm currently in Toledo, Spain. It's in the upper 90s, but the place we're staying at has AC and there is also an underground cave to escape the heat. I'm so glad I'm not back in Green Lake in my brick house. The AC unit is in our daughter's room while my wife and I normally sleep in the basement.

Spain named a town after an Ohio town? Neat!

;)

Trouble

Banned
I hope you die of frostbite.

You're going to hoping that for yourself this weekend. :p

I'm on the top floor of my building with too many windows and vaulted ceilings (no real air gap for insulation), so I feel your pain. I bought a portable 14k BTU unit at costco which doesn't do much to bring down the temp overall, but feels nice if I'm sitting close to it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Perfect weather. My basement is a pleasant 68 degrees. I'm going to ride the Burke Gilman to Redmond and back, then go out on the boat.

Stinkles

I don't like you, sir.

I also have central AC. But cheaper to just abuse the basement. Would never have bought it but the house already had it installed. Not quite enough power in the circulation to fully cool the top bedroom floors but it helps. Kitchen and living room get icy tho.

jb1234

I also have central AC. But cheaper to just abuse the basement. Would never have bought it but the house already had it installed. Not quite enough power in the circulation to fully cool the top bedroom floors but it helps. Kitchen and living room get icy tho.

Grrrrrr. It's like 85 degrees in my apartment right now. I'm roasting!

Stinkles

Grrrrrr. It's like 85 degrees in my apartment right now. I'm roasting!

Btw Lake Washington is GLOrIOUS for swimming today and will actually be better tonight. I think the best swimming spot is Log Boom Park, just north of seattle at Lake Forest Park. You can camp out there on one of the docks and swim and picnic. Just get there before the (well behaved) teenagers show up and grab your turf.

riotous

Banned
Grew up in LFP; log boom park was always fun. Used to be some decent spots with rope swings across from there too if you knew anyone with a boat.

Laying low in our 68 degree dungeon all day.. ironically resting up for a trip to Maui in 2 weeks lol.

Sol1dus

Recommend a place to hike tomorrow? Thinking of going earlier in the day. I'm going by myself and I'm thinking of just hiking a light trail. Anybody have pointers for Mount Si?

Le-mo

Recommend a place to hike tomorrow? Thinking of going earlier in the day. I'm going by myself and I'm thinking of just hiking a light trail. Anybody have pointers for Mount Si?
A very popular and easy hike is Rattlesnake Ledge. Both Mt. Si's are relatively easy. The small one is 4 miles round trip and the big one is 8 miles round trip. My personal favorite easy hike is Snow Lake.

Brakke

Banned
"June is running a staggering 6.5 degrees above normal. Easily will be Seattle's warmest June in 120+ years of record-keeping." [source]

Yikes! It hasn't been too bad for me but my dog is miiiiiiiiserable. I wish I could do anything for him. Been giving him ice cube "treats" every few minutes when I'm home.

cdyhybrid

"June is running a staggering 6.5 degrees above normal. Easily will be Seattle's warmest June in 120+ years of record-keeping." [source]

Yikes! It hasn't been too bad for me but my dog is miiiiiiiiserable. I wish I could do anything for him. Been giving him ice cube "treats" every few minutes when I'm home.

Fuck Bill Shatner, California isn't getting any of our water :p

Phthisis

I'm way concerned about how fucked up the weather is on Earth at the moment. News from all over the planet this week about record highs and lows, record rainfall and record drought that defy all historical information from every corner of the globe. Climate change is going to sneak up on us a lot faster than I think anyone predicted. Scary as shit.

jb1234

I'm way concerned about how fucked up the weather is on Earth at the moment. News from all over the planet this week about record highs and lows, record rainfall and record drought that defy all historical information from every corner of the globe. Climate change is going to sneak up on us a lot faster than I think anyone predicted. Scary as shit.

It's really scary. And for the most part, it's out of our hands.

The weekend and yesterday didn't seem too bad to me. I did some practical things to stay cool but didn't have to find air-conditioning or anything like that.

Brakke

Banned
my apartment is The Worst for summer. it's a loft with one wall that is entirely glass, two stories high. so it doesn't have any rooms and it's terribly insulated and all my windows are on the same wall so I can't make a cross breeze. huge air volume, no air flow, and for bonus points even if I wanted to I couldn't put in an AC since my windows are tall and narrow so a unit wouldn't fit.

it's a damn greenhouse.

riotous

Banned
my apartment is The Worst for summer. it's a loft with one wall that is entirely glass, two stories high. so it doesn't have any rooms and it's terribly insulated and all my windows are on the same wall so I can't make a cross breeze. huge air volume, no air flow, and for bonus points even if I wanted to I couldn't put in an AC since my windows are tall and narrow so a unit wouldn't fit.

it's a damn greenhouse.

Portable AC. They sit on the floor and you run a hose out a window.

I can give you some Amazon recommendations; I have 4 in my house now.

They take up space which sucks but better than dying in te heat.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
We spent the late afternoon/early evening in a quiet part of Madison beach eating brisket (related to my bbq inquiries from a while back, this was from a food truck called Campfire and was damn good), Rainier cherries, and wine.

I hate this weather, tbh, but it's hard to beat the selected moments.

dLMN8R

Considering spending all day in my bedroom with my air conditioner playing Xbox One on my Surface Pro 3 via Windows 10 streaming :p

Stinkles

Considering spending all day in my bedroom with my air conditioner playing Xbox One on my Surface Pro 3 via Windows 10 streaming :p

Oh is that working already? I can't install Windows 10 till after we ship this product.

How's laaag?

cdyhybrid

Was at Newcastle Beach Park today BBQing, was a good time with lots of shade :p

Heading over to a friend's place on Queen Anne now to watch the pyro.

kronose

Banned
I have done lots of reading, but I thought I would ask Seattle-Gaf:

Where are the best places to look at living? I am married and prob have a kid sometime soon. Don't need downtown life, and don't mind the area being quiet, maybe even boring to some.

What are some of the better companies (besides the obvious Seattle bigs) to look at Career wise? I might even not be thinking of some of the big ones to look at.

Background in IT, Systems Administration, SCADA technology.

Top Bottom