• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

mYm|17|

h2CjsGf.jpg

mYm|17|

So the overturned tanker from today is causing all this traffic due to it shutting down 5 and 90. Brief Thunder Snow didn't help I'm sure

_woLf

I haven't seen this much snow come in so fast in a long ass time. I left work at 4 when it first started snowing a bit to avoid any mess.

By the time I got home at 6pm (a normally 20 minute commute!) on foot, after my car got stuck on a hill causing me to have to abandon it, we had about 3.5-4 inches.

This is dumb. I'm so tired of the winter.

Did it calm down a bit on the Eastside after around 5?

I left work around 4:30; Bellevue transit center was nuts. The bus was crowded as fuck and everything seemed to have cleared up in Seattle by the time I got to my stop. Really made me regret leaving work early. :(

dLMN8R

GEEEEEEZUS what a shit show today

People stuck on Microsoft campus trying to get out of underground garages - but the ramps were too steep for most people to get out, leading to huge lineups in the garage before people could get out.

Cars sliding around at slower speeds at the 520 junction on Microsoft campus at 40th street.

Busses running over an hour behind while the transit center fills up with more people than I've ever seen there

Ourobolus

Banned
GEEEEEEZUS what a shit show today

People stuck on Microsoft campus trying to get out of underground garages - but the ramps were too steep for most people to get out, leading to huge lineups in the garage before people could get out.

Cars sliding around at slower speeds at the 520 junction on Microsoft campus at 40th street.

Busses running over an hour behind while the transit center fills up with more people than I've ever seen there
Whew. So glad I work from home and don't have to go to campus that often.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Paseo open next door to Neumos now 😂

The Regal downtown is upgrading: currently sitting in a leather recliner with it's own table and about three feet of leg room in front of me for the same ticket price as before.

Ourobolus

Banned
So guys, I just moved near the Junction in West Seattle about a month and a half ago.

What are the good places to eat around here?

dLMN8R

Cool, I like the Regal but yeah it's been getting a little old. Still far better than the AMC Pacific Place though.

I'll always go to the Cinerama if I can.

I basically only go to movies when work has a free movie night, which is usually in *shudder* Lincoln Square or whatever it's called in Bellevue.

dLMN8R

I mean, I basically just go to the Cinerama for the chocolate popcorn. The movie is kind of just the side-entertainment.

The Regal downtown is upgrading: currently sitting in a leather recliner with it's own table and about three feet of leg room in front of me for the same ticket price as before.
That's great news. I've had horrible experiences there in the past and usually go to pacific place if I'm meeting someone downtown, even though that place is kind of eh.

My favorite theaters in the seattle area are Sundance, Cinerama, Cinebarre, and of course the Boeing IMAX.

dLMN8R

The theater in the U-District is pretty great. Assigned seating, food and beer, etc.

Yeah, Sundance Cinemas right? They're pretty good, but the seats aren't stadium and the screens are a lot smaller.

On the bright side, they have their own online ticket ordering and don't charge any fees for it. So unlike Cinerama and other places with assigned seating, you get assigned seating at Sundance ordering online for no extra charge.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, Sundance Cinemas right? They're pretty good, but the seats aren't stadium and the screens are a lot smaller.

On the bright side, they have their own online ticket ordering and don't charge any fees for it. So unlike Cinerama and other places with assigned seating, you get assigned seating at Sundance ordering online for no extra charge.
Yeah, that's it. I won't watch anything I'd like to see in IMAX there but it's cool for everything else.

dLMN8R

Yeah, that's it. I won't watch anything I'd like to see in IMAX there but it's cool for everything else.

I just saw Get Out there over last weekend and the sound is fantastic, which is usually my biggest pet peeve with less-impressive theaters. Smaller picture is OK as long as the sound is up there, which it is.

I love Sundance Cinemas. I can walk there from my house and have a beer while I watch a movie. I don't really care about stadium seating or big screens. I go to art house theaters, those things aren't really things.

I love Sundance Cinemas. I can walk there from my house and have a beer while I watch a movie. I don't really care about stadium seating or big screens. I go to art house theaters, those things aren't really things.

bringing back memories of the shitty theater I had to go to see The Road. Glad I got to saw it with the pops, though.

RaoulDuke

So guys, I just moved near the Junction in West Seattle about a month and a half ago.

Ma'ono is good - fried chicken is amazing
Ittos up the street from there is good tapas style place
Husky deli for ice cream is great
Bakery Nouveau is amazing
Easy Street record shop is good greasy spoon style brunch
Mashiko is secretly one of the better sushi places in town

Kizuki is good ramen. Jacks has a great burger. Marination Makai down on Alki is kickass.

And don't forget you can bring all this food to Beer Junction.

jb1234

Called Comcast because they keep raising my rates. I'm not paying over a hundred bucks just for internet. They lowered me about $25 by bundling it with a phone. I asked specifically if my internet speed was changing and they said no.

Yeah, it changed. Down to 25 Mbps, which is too slow for my needs. Calling back, I bitched and the nice (but not budging) support lady told me that my only option was to add back blast internet but that my bill would basically go back to what it was before. And since I have no leverage in this situation (what am I going to do, threaten to cancel when there's no other alternatives?), I had to grin and take it.

Oh, and they sent me a second modem, which is basically the size of my car (and I'm returning). This only really annoys me because before I opened it, I actually thought my Switch had arrived early. Fuck Comcast for getting my hopes up (and being an overpriced monopoly).

Comcast has been jacking up prices like crazy. When I moved into my current house, I was paying $65 a month. It recently increased to $88 a month.

They know they have a virtual monopoly here because CenturyLink are such a useless company and they are milking us like 1-2 Switch players milk cows.

Comcast has been jacking up prices like crazy. When I moved into my current house, I was paying $65 a month. It recently increased to $88 a month.

They know they have a virtual monopoly here because CenturyLink are such a useless company and they are milking us like 1-2 Switch players milk cows.

We switched to CenturyLink when finally given the opportunity. They suck real bad too. My favorite part was when an error in their billing system meant we got a bill for 1700 bucks.

I mean that unironically, because by the time my wife got done with them, our account got locked to a rate and "won't ever go up".

That was about a year ago, and we just got a bill about twice our regular, so wife had to talk to them again. Another "error in the billing system" that got resolved

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I switched to CenturyLink FioS last week and I have been basking in the speed and reliability. Even ignoring the fact that Comcast managed to creep my bill up to basically triple what it was initially, they started throttling service and dropping connection - which would magically fix itself ONLY if you called.

Stinkles

I've had good experience with century link, and you sign a 2 year contract so you know what your price is going to be.

At half the price of Comcast - same channels, vastly superior speeds and connection quality. Just a no brainer. Dude even patched a hole in my wall for free. Installation took about an hour total, and he was able to tie in directly to the existing coax run. Only tricky bit was drilling a hole in an exterior wall to run the fiber in, but that took all of 15 minutes.

Oh and finally convinced wife to dump land line. So quality of life improved dramatically because solicitors stopped calling.

Stinkles

SeattlePI is warning about a possible mini snowpocalypse starting tonight. If the convergence zone thingy forms.

I get the feeling they're positive it won't, but don't want to be blamed if it does.

dLMN8R

I feel like I've had a pretty good deal from Comcast for a while in Wallingford.

For a couple of years I had a promo on their "Internet Plus" deal, which is:

• Internet (paying extra to boost it to 100 megabits)
  • TV (local channels only, SD only - HD is an extra $10/month, and no DVR - DVR is an extra $10/month too)
  • HBO (which allows me to access full-fidelity HBO Go)
  • $77.10 after taxes and fees

The promo just ran out though and they're not giving it back to me, so that's up to $94.66/month now.

For TV I end up just shelving the cable box they give me entirely, and I use an over the air tuner going into a HTPC instead. Works great for me.

I've thought about trying Century Link since Comcast won't give me the promo price anymore, and Century Link just started offering Fiber to my house a couple months ago, but the customer support and reliability stories give me lots of concern.

Top Bottom