• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana 20th Anniversary Thread

QkIPTSF.png

On August 6, 1993 Squaresoft's fondly remembered action RPG, Secret of Mana was released in Japan under the title 聖剣伝説2 (Seiken Densestsu 2, literally Holy Sword Legend 2). This year marks the 20th anniversary. Please join me in reminiscing about one of the greatest RPGs of the 16 bit era.

I would like to dedicate this thread to Hirō Isono, the illustrator who created the beautiful artwork for Secret of Mana as well as Final Fantasy Adventure and Heroes of Mana. Isono sadly passed away from heart failure on May 28th.

tngG3il.png

Ob9UWjY.gif

Released on the Super Famicom/Super Nintendo, Secret of Mana was the second in the Seiken Densestu series of video games. It was the only Seiken Densetsu game released on the Super Nintendo outside of Japan. This action RPG had many unique features which set it apart from other games in the genre from that time period. For example: the ability to switch between the three main characters on the fly while the computer controlled the two characters not in use; the "ring menu" system; and, by using a multitap, three players were able to take control of each of the characters and play most of the game cooperatively. Secret of Mana also featured a highly regarded musical score composed by Hiroki Kikuta (菊田裕樹) and beautiful artwork by the late Hirō Isono (‪磯野宏夫).

Since the release of Secret of Mana on the Super Famicom/Super Nintendo, the game has been rereleased on Nintendo's Virtual Console as well as iOS.

9McFrjo.png

The three heroes of the story are unnamed in the game and are generally known as the Boy, the Girl, and the Sprite. The Japanese instruction manual does include names for them but apparently those names didn't originate from Squaresoft but from a Japanese magazine called Gamest Magazine which had previewed the game. Squaresoft has since made those names canon.

1dbgG9g.png
Randi, the Boy (ランディ)
As many great RPG heroes, Randi is an orphan. He was adopted by the elder of Potos village. Randi stumbles upon the Mana Sword embedded in a rock and, without knowing what it is, pulls it free. Well, it turns out the sword was protecting the village from monsters and Randi unknowingly put everyone in danger. His adoptive father has no choice but to banish Randi from the village. Thus begins his adventure to restore the Mana Sword to its full power to protect his village and the world.

iUN0I4g.png
Primm, the Girl (プリム)
Primm is the daughter of a nobleman of Pandora. Her father tries to force her into an arranged marriage but she refuses as she is in love with a warrior in the king's army named Dyluck. Primm runs away with the goal of saving Dyluck who has been sent by the king to battle a terrible witch. For this reason she joins Randi.

DcONSAx.png
Popoi, the Sprite (ポポイ)
Popoi is a Sprite who was washed away from his home by a flood and lost his memory. He lives in the dwarf village and works as a scam artist. Popoi cons Randi out of some money but Randi figures it out and confronts the Sprite. Popoi decides to join Randi in repayment and hopes that by traveling he will regain his lost memories.

tYGgpue.png

som_sword.gif

Prologue:
“Long ago...
Using the power of Mana, civilization had grown strong...
In time, Mana was used to create the ultimate weapon: the Mana Fortress...
But this angered the gods, and they sent their beasts to destroy the Fortress...
A violent war between the beasts and the Fortress plunged the world into chaos, and Mana seemed to all but disappear...
Before all was lost, a hero wielding the Mana Sword smashed the Fortress...
Though civilization had been destroyed, the world was peaceful again.

But time flows like a river... and history repeats...”

The story of Secret of Mana begins with Randi discovering a rusty sword embedded in a rock near Potos, his village. At the urging of a ghostly voice he pulls the sword free and unknowingly disables the magic which protects Potos. Randi rushes home and realizes what he has done. Suddenly a powerful monster attacks the village. Fortunately Randi is able to destroy it using the sword and with the assistance of a wandering knight named Jema. Randi learns this is not just any sword, but the legendary Mana Sword which was once used to destroy the mighty Mana Fortress. Once the people of Potos hear that Randi removed the sword which protected their village, they force the elder to banish him. Jema acts as a guide throughout Randi's quest to restore the Mana Sword to its full power. Randi is joined on his quest by a rebellious girl named Primm and a cheeky sprite named Popoi. Together they must seal the eight Mana seeds to prevent the Empire from resurrecting the Mana Fortress. But what dark force compels the Emperor?

MLZIQ0z.png

Hiroki Kikuta composed a truly excellent score for Secret of Mana. Here are some classic tracks:

What the Forest Taught Me

Prophecy

Star of Darkness

Into the Thick of It

Speaking of Hiroki Kikuta's Mana albums, did you guys know that last year Kikuta (he being the original SOM/SD3 composer, mind you) and S-E released an album last year called "Secret of Mana Genesis" that is basically a remade version of the Secret of Mana soundtrack with high-quality sequenced instruments and synths that is very much in the spirit of the original?

http://www.destructoid.com/secret-of-mana-genesis-with-composer-hiroki-kikuta-236262.phtml
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/seiken2_somg/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g54I_1RMXJU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czj0QzbQ564
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/secret-mana-genesis-arrange/id548354190
I'll let someone else make a new thread but for you Secret of Man music lovers the fan album for Secret of Mana's 20th just got released.

You can download the entire album and artwork for FREE at the website below

http://www.spectrumofmana.com/
tumblr_mtujpvHC5e1shnmy0o1_1280.jpg

u9XBneH.png

Hirō Isono's Original Artwork

iOS Version Artwork

Randi
NbJiwzi.png

Primm
uxKO5K9.png

Popoi
GAEJ7Y6.png

Fanmade Artwork:
http://caffeware.com/som20th.html

Secret of Mana avatars for everyone! If you would like to use one, PM me the link and I will mark it as claimed.

If anyone would like to graciously create more avatars I will happily add them.

Free
qsjF1RZ.png
6mvwvID.png
UKx6Gbr.png
pUQHkhb.png
lYEGDTG.png
R2MUNvg.png
RnxE9yu.png
lQJLMlM.png
gemax3u3s.png
lukajmub2.png
nekomdubo.png
randis9uln.png
watts7guq7.png

Claimed
qlZlJIB.png
tf9ZicO.png
NcfP7SH.png
g7V6xrs.png

Ey0CrLP.png

Interviews:
Translator
Composer
Composer 2
Programmer - This video honestly isn't much of an interview but the interviewer is John Romero and his hair looks especially luxurious here.

Secrets and Oddities:
http://www.flyingomelette.com/oddities/oddities25.html
http://www.seikens.com/secret-of-mana/secrets/
http://www.unseen64.net/2008/06/08/secret-of-mana-snes-beta/ (Thanks CengizMan!)

Gaming Magazine Previews:
EGM

Nintendo Power

Secret of Mana Editor:
http://somedit.blogspot.jp/

More GIFs:
Japanese title screen
sd2_intro_loop.gif

Calling your dragon
som_call.gif

Mode 7 world map
som_m7.gif

Long intro
som_intro_long.gif

Japanese long intro
sd2_intro_long.gif

A very interesting review/history/explanation of SoM (Thanks CengizMan!)

Acknowledgments:
Thank you to caffeware for suggesting content, doing research, and creating the GIFs. I also want to thank the creators of the superb Metroid 25th anniversary Thread from which I shamelessly took ideas. And thank you gblues for making some avatars for everyone and jaxword for Nintendo Power scans!

Much of the information contained in this thread is from Wiki of Mana as well as official sources.

DJIzana

Sigh... an amazing series. Maybe one day Square Enix will consider reviving older IP's or stop making only FF's, from their Japanese department, for AAA games. Maybe....

Einbroch

Banned
Second best game of all time. Astonishing, amazing, insert random buzzwords here.

So much fun, and one of the first co-op RPGs ever.

My avatar gives me away.

Negator

20 years later, and I finally know the names of the characters!

Can't believe this game is 20 years old. I have fond memories of my best friend and I waking up at the crack of dawn to play this game co-op before eating breakfast and getting ready to go to elementary school.

...God damn I'm old.

20 years later, and I finally know the names of the characters!

Can't believe this game is 20 years old. I have fond memories of my best friend and I waking up at the crack of dawn to play this game co-op before eating breakfast and getting ready to go to elementary school.

...God damn I'm old.

I just realized after 20 years that the Girl has some elf type ears!

I can remember renting this and locking myself in my room (with a bag of Doritos) in order to beat it before the weekend ended.

My folks wouldn't let me keep games for an extra day so it was a mad dash to the end before I had to return it.

funny enough, I rented it several times throughout the years, whenever there wasn't anything interesting or available on the shelves

Finally bought it years later!

If Chrono Trigger didn't look like a sequel to Secret of Mana (both main characters had red spikey hair and both main girls had ponytails) I might have missed out on one of the best RPGs for the SNES!

To this day it is still my favorite action RPG! Can't wait for it to release on the U-VC so I can have easy access to it

Thanks Secret of Mana and Happy 20th Anniversary!

Second best game of all time. Astonishing, amazing, insert random buzzwords here.

So much fun, and one of the first co-op RPGs ever.

My avatar gives me away.
The co-op is what makes this game one of my favorites. I can't believe there aren't more co-op RPGs where everyone plays as one of the characters in the story.

ebil

This game holds a very special place in my heart. I remember buying a SNES after having played it co-op at a friends' and still play it from time to time. I can't believe it's been 20 years!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Probably my favorite snes game. I never owned a snes but my friend did, spent so much time playing this game coop together.

Mazre

Spent many hours in my childhood playing this with my sister. It was an incredible game at release and still holds up really well, pixels just don't age. Only problem with the game was the need to constantly access the menu-wheel for weapon swaps/magic, which could slow co-op play down. Other than that it was an absolute joy.

Major nostalgia factor with those magazine scans too, if I was of a mind I could probably find those issues boxed up somewhere.

Gameboy415

One of my top 3 favorite games of all-time. :)
It definitely has one of the best soundtracks as well.

Plus my Smartphone background is the Mana Tree illustration in the OP.

Never got the opportunity to play this game but I heard a lot of great things about it. I did however play Final Fantasy Adventure (my first ever JRPG if you can believe it) which if I remember is a part of the Mana franchise.

spoonztt

Sadly I've never gotten the chance to finish this game. Much like my luck with Zelda OOT , my system always died or got damaged before I finish the game.

I'm presently playing this on my Ipod. Here's hoping it doesn't die or something.

I always thought Secret of Evermore was way better.

BLASPHEMY!

I did enjoy Secret of Evermore as well, though. But it was certainly no Secret of Mana!

---

Sigh, Secret of Mana... That was like my FAVORITE game growing up because my best friend and I used to play it nonstop every summer. I remember we just had fun grinding enemies in the final dungeon to get exp and drops. And leveling up our magic and stuff. Seiken Densetsu 3 was great, but I dunno.. nothing ever surpassed SoM for me personally. I miss it. <3 Flammie <3

Jethro

The first US import game from me and my siblings. What a fantastic experience. Will always love this game.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I can't even look at Square's SNES games without getting pissed off.

To Secret of Mana, happy 20th, I loved you.

To Square Enix, get fucked and good luck maintaining your empire with iOS shovelware.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted to say that Seiken Densetsu 3 is one of the most beautiful-looking games ever. Thank you internet for giving me access to a fan translation around 13 years ago when I played it for the first time. Shame on SE for never bringing it here.

SMgamer83

Bought the adapter for 5 controllers just so I could play this game 3 player. Spell system was a bit silly, but loved the weapons and story and art and environments and enemies and music and bosses and etc...

I loved grinding out the level 9 magic effects on every single playthrough. Essential part of the game's experience. Getting the final weapon orbs at the end? not so much. I distinctly remember keeping bosses alive as long as possible so I could groove to the phenomenal boss music. I also remember being somewhat disappointed in the input processing lag created by 3-player action, because it made the chaincasting exploit impossible.

So I bought this a couple months ago off of a ebay, I guess now is a better time than any to start playing. Is the co-op pick up the controller and play or is it more cumbersome?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just wanted to say that Seiken Densetsu 3 is one of the most beautiful-looking games ever. Thank you internet for giving me access to a fan translation around 13 years ago when I played it for the first time. Shame on SE for never bringing it here.

That fan translation is same one that circulates today, too.

I've never understood SE's position on its older franchises and why they abandon them and/or put so much less effort into them than Final Fantasy.

Word of warning about the iOS version.

The iOS version is quite passable in many respects, and while they did upgrade the visuals and included a bit more text (especially in regards to the minor characters like Phanna and Krissi) there are two major drawbacks. one of the drawbacks is a relatively minor thing, but it still makes one dungeon very frustrating, the other item practically makes the last boss impossible.

1: The game is great, as far as design decisions go about the transition from the SNES to the iphone. The controls and quick cast buttons are passible and the item ring are still very easy to maneuver. Each dungeon is very well replicated in the iphone version, except for one. The final dungeon. In the SNES version, each floor of the dungeon was essentially one large stage, with enemies chasing you and pursuing you around. In the iOS version, each room is entirely separate from each other. This may sound like an ok thing, except with the SNES version previously destroyed enemies would not respawn until you went to a new floor. in the iOS version they respawn as soon as you leave the room. This makes backtracking incredibly difficult.

2: The game breaker. They messed with at least 1 stat, maybe 2. Either the Hit or the evade stats (or both) are broken. In the SNES version, you could miss with an attack, but charging skills would increase your ability to hit an evasive enemy. In the iOS version, enemies will evade any attack 90% of the time. This includes those charge up attacks. You might ask, "Once you get Magic, why not pep up and attack or just kill it with magic" Well Pep up does not seem to work in this version, and magic well...
You need to physically attack the final boss due to plot

TL, DR: get the SNES version if you really want to enjoy the game. Buy the iOS version for Nostalgia only, the additions just do not outweigh those two glaring critical issues.

So I bought this a couple months ago off of a ebay, I guess now is a better time than any to start playing. Is the co-op pick up the controller and play or is it more cumbersome?
First you have to meet the other characters, but once they join your party you just have to hit start on the other controllers to use them. Select rotates through the characters.

Celine

The effort put on the OP will be probably an order of magnitude superior to whatever sloppy SquareEnix will ever do for the event (I bet nothing).

SoM has very nice and colorful graphics and one of the best OST ever but the core game is deeply flawed and aged badly.

Co-op is really the feature that elevate the game to be a milestone and for which it should be remembered.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember having trouble with the final boss in the iOS version, but I do know after the halfway point I was spamming magic left and right.

I haven't replayed this ever. I loved it at the time - it was probably the first JRPG I played - they made a pretty big deal of this at the time in import-centric magazines, this and FFVI (III) were probably the two titles that paved the way for the acceptance and popularity of the JRPGs of the following PSX-era. Would really like to give it another play through.

Nohar

Sacred_Skies_by_keiiii.jpg

Artwork by keiiii, on DeviantArt.

So close... and yet so far away. I'm afraid that sadly the Mana-universe is going to fall into limbo because of Square-Enix. And that makes me feel depressed.
Squaresoft... Words can't express how much I miss you.

120v

my childhood literally revolved around secret of mana. my life would probably be much different if not for that game. playing it in 1993 was a pretty big deal

its kind of heartbreaking seeing what they did to the series... i don't ever expect them to match it (even sieken densetsu 3 fell short IMO) but dear god dawn of mana was just terrible

i don't want a sequel though. i want a remake ... not just because its my favorite game but because it needs it. it can be a glitchy mess at times. just a few tweaks and a graphical upgrade, boom you've got one of the greatest games of all time. i won't hold my breath though

Top Bottom