• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana 20th Anniversary Thread

gblues

Banned
I made some avatars using Higan and the CRT shader, which looks a bit better than the filtered sprites in the OP.

gemax3u3s.png
lukajmub2.png
nekomdubo.png
randis9uln.png
watts7guq7.png

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
One of my top 3 favorite games of all-time. :)
It definitely has one of the best soundtracks as well.

Plus my Smartphone background is the Mana Tree illustration in the OP.

My cell phone wallpaper is too!

Great thread, OP! This game holds a very special place in my heart. I still consider it my favorite game of all time. I played through it solo (multiple times), and marathoned it once with my best friend, and once with my little brother. Of all the series for Square to COMPLETELY fuck up...

Blackage

I don't know what the heck happened to Seiken Densetsu after 3, but I always loved the first 3 for the simple yet fun hack/slash gameplay. Legend killed the series for me, the plot was almost nonexistent, and while it looked great and had great music I feel it forced a bunch of rules on the player that quite frankly weren't needed.

jhawk6

Did the full story ever get revealed as to what content was cut out so the game could fit onto a standard SNES cart? Didn't development start out with intentions to release the game for the SNES-CD?

Also, this cutting and pasting of said content is what constituted many of the game's famous bugs?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This thread just made me decide that I will finally get back to this game when im finished beating Uncharted 3 (yeah I dont know why I play it either), but I have some questions:

1. I hated how the computer played the two other characters, is there a way around the AI doing stupid shit with the two characters he controls (and always getting killed at once during boss fights), or is this just supposed to be part of the charm?

2. I dont really like multiplayer in games like this, but my irritation towards the AI-controlled characters made me consider it for this game. Should I try to find someone to play with, or is it just as good to play it alone?

I also didnt like how slow the battles felt when you always had to wait for your power to fill up, but I guess it also makes manoveuring more important, which is probably nice. The music and graphics are amazing and reason enough t play it though, really looking forward to it!

entremet

Amazing game in every way. Rented so many times I should've just bought it, but it was 80 bucks back then.

The iOS version is surprisingly well done.

This game, FFVI and CT were my Holy Trinity of SNES Squaresoft games. Man, have times changed. :(

Great game. It fucking sucked that Seiken Densetsu 3 never came out in the west and more sucked when the series went downhill afterward.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So many people throwing shade on LoM. It's a better game than any mainline SD title and a million times better than any of the revival games.

jaxword

This thread just made me decide that I will finally get back to this game when im finished beating Uncharted 3 (yeah I dont know why I play it either), but I have some questions:

1. I hated how the computer played the two other characters, is there a way around the AI doing stupid shit with the two characters he controls (and always getting killed at once during boss fights), or is this just supposed to be part of the charm?

2. I dont really like multiplayer in games like this, but my irritation towards the AI-controlled characters made me consider it for this game. Should I try to find someone to play with, or is it just as good to play it alone?

You know you can set the AI in the menu, right?

In any case, though, playing with friends is always better.

DonMigs85

Despite the bugginess and slowdown my cousins and I still love this game so much.
Got really sad when I corrupted my perfect save by glitching into Potos village and saving in there though.
By the way, what's Nasir up to these days?

120v

So many people throwing shade on LoM. It's a better game than any mainline SD title and a million times better than any of the revival games.

haha no. no no nooooooo

i understand alot of people prefer it though. i find it kind of baffling, but i respect that.

to its credit its one of the most beautiful games ever. the soundtrack is godly, and the concept in and of itself was great. but there was virtually no gameplay to tie it down... whatever gameplay there was had zero challenge. battle system had more in common with final fight than secret of mana.

i respect it for what it tried to do, and i like the story book take on the world. i consider it to be the true sieken densetsu 4 over that... thing ... we got instead. but i could never go back to it

As far as im concerned, its the best game ever made. That era was GOLDEN for SNES RPGs.

1) Secret of Mana
2) Chronotrigger
3) FF VI
4) Seiken 3
5) Illusion of Time/Gaia
6) Shadowrun

Such incredible games. Mana was the best of all. I must have finished it over 10 times at least.,

Happy birthday, fantastic game

Had a blast beating this. But I can't help but remember how fucking terrible finding places on that god damn dragon was

Well, I don't know about that but it's at least the second best of the games released in English (haven't played SD3). And the music, oh god the music!

It's a shame that there was never a good SD again after that.

Laurake

Neo Member
This is the only game I played and beat more than 3 times. I just couldn't get enough of Mana when I was young. Rented it by accident and bugged my mom to buy it for me until she couldn't say "no". What a great, great game.

One of my biggest regrets is selling it on Ebay for $100 many moons ago. Maybe I need to get on ebay and buy another copy!

Didn't development start out with intentions to release the game for the SNES-CD?

Absolutely, yes. Now, what's less discussed is that Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy IV, and Chrono Trigger were all originally planned to be the same game. That's right, two decades before Final Fantasy XV, Secret of Mana was originally going to be the first main-series Final Fantasy game to become an action RPG:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv-secret-of-mana-and-chrono-trigger-had-a-connection/

Hiromichi Tanaka/Legends of Localization said:
From FFI and on, we would always look at the previous games for things we felt could have been better. FFI had an orthodox design, while II featured a narrative story plus a brand new growth system that didn’t use experience points. FFIII had jobs you could switch between while you fought, the ability to cast multi-target spells, and other such gameplay tempo improvements, as well as more fully-refined experience and battle systems.

After we finished FFIII, we started FFIV with the idea of a slightly more action-based, dynamic overworld rather than keep combat as a completely separate thing. But, at some point, it wound up not being IV anymore… Instead, it was eventually released as “Seiken Densetsu 2″ (Secret of Mana), but during development it was actually referred to as “Chrono Trigger”. (laugh)

At the time, just after FFIII, we were working with Mr. Toriyama on a game with a seamless, side-view system. A CD-ROM attachment for the Super Famicom was scheduled to be released, you see. So we had this enormous game planned out for the CD-ROM attachment, but ultimately we were never able to release it.

So we had the Chrono Trigger project changed to a new game, and this other game we had been working on was condensed down into Seiken Densetsu 2. Because of this, Seiken 2 always felt like a sequel to FFIII to me.

This might explain why Square-recruited American Apple II programming guru Nasir Gebelli ("PROGRAMMED BY NASIR," you know what I'm talking about) programmed the bulk of the mathy parts of Famicom Final Fantasys I-III and Secret of Mana, but not the released Final Fantasy IV. It also goes without saying that Randi and Primm look and act a helluva lot like Crono and Marle.

I'll vouch for the Wii Virtual Console release -- aside from it being a lot easier to get a three-person game going on a Wii (to clarify, Wiimotes alone won't work -- you either need a Wiimote with Classic Controller attached or GameCube controller per player), playing this game on a GameCube controller with A assigned to attack, B to run, and Y and X to pull up your menus feels glorious, better than the SNES controller or CC Pro.

I also really need to check my saved game and ask you guys about the weapon orbs while SOM is on people's minds -- I'm at the end of the game, and there are one or two orbs that I swear are just flat-out missing for me from both my inventory and locations where they were supposed to have been, and it's been driving me nuts.

jaxword

I also really need to check my saved game and ask you guys about the weapon orbs while SOM is on people's minds -- I'm at the end of the game, and there are one or two orbs that I swear are just flat-out missing for me from both my inventory and locations where they were supposed to have been, and it's been driving me nuts.

That's normal. Due to glitches, some orbs just flat out did not appear.

You may be able to make up for this with extremely low odd random drops in the mana fortress, but to be quite honest you may find it faster to replay the entire game than grind for 20 hours.

This game was a revelation for me. Up until I saw a second hand copy in a local video rental store (I'm in the U.K but luckily this independent store imported and rented out U.S games) I had never played an RPG.

I couldn't believe the beauty of it when I started playing. But what amazed me the most, is that the game manual had a walk through for the first few hours of the game - but which I actually thought, was for the whole game!. I'd been playing simple games up until this point, and didn't realise games existed that had such long play times.

For the life of me I couldn't understand why the manual would have a walk through for the whole game. Boy were my eyes opened up once the walk through section ended in the manual and I had this massive world still to explore.

I was hooked on Squaresoft games from the day I rented (and then bought) this game. What a shame that they never managed to capture the magic in any of the sequels - save 3 which of course never saw the light of day here.

That's normal. Due to glitches, some orbs just flat out did not appear.

You may be able to make up for this with extremely low odd random drops in the mana fortress, but to be quite honest you may find it faster to replay the entire game than grind for 20 hours.

Thank you, as much as I love this game, I certainly don't doubt its glitchiness! Believe me, I've done some grinding in the Mana Fortress. So if I've missed something, are the specific enemies for sure going to eventttttuualllllyyyy keep dropping orbs until each of the non-sword weapons hit level 8, or, for example, is the Tsunami only designated to ever drop one spear orb, regardless of if the spear is at level 6?

I've also read rumors that the later-released European version fixed some of the game's glitchiness, can anyone confirm?

Staab

My mother gifted me this game for having good grades, I was like 11 y.o., best gift EVER.

I have never played a better RPG since then, even Chrono Trigger doesn't compare to it, imo.

The tears flowed massively when I finished the game...
Replay value is so fucking high though, I must've finished the game like 10 times, be it solo or with a friend / sibling.

Secret of Mana for life !

jaxword

Thank you, as much as I love this game, I certainly don't doubt its glitchiness! Believe me, I've done some grinding in the Mana Fortress. So if I've missed something, are the specific enemies for sure going to eventttttuualllllyyyy keep dropping orbs until each of the non-sword weapons hit level 8, or, for example, is the Tsunami only designated to ever drop one spear orb, regardless of if the spear is at level 6?

I've also read rumors that the later-released European version fixed some of the game's glitchiness, can anyone confirm?

I've never tested it, but I suppose you could grind forever and the RNG will drop another orb eventually. That's the general fan consensus, that site you linked even suggests grinding glove orbs from wolf lords.

Was Dawn of Mana really that bad?

Also, I know it's a pretty good series but I never liked the art style like the characters. The backgrounds and everything was beautiful though.

120v

Was Dawn of Mana really that bad?

there are much worse games out there, but it's an action platformer that has nothing in common with SD gameplay. the lore is there and all fan servicey, but it's has no business being sieken densetsu 4... it really makes you wonder what they were smoking

and even if it was a spinoff the game is still pretty mediocre

Mory Dunz

I've played this game (beaten once) so many times, but I always forget Randi talked. I keep assuming he's a silent protagonist, maybe because of Crono.

Is that bad...?

EDIT: Am I forgetting? Did he only talk in the beginning of the game and then stopped talking...?

jaxword

I've played this game (beaten once) so many times, but I always forget Randi talked. I keep assuming he's a silent protagonist, maybe because of Crono.

Is that bad...?

EDIT: Am I forgetting? Did he only talk in the beginning of the game and then stopped talking...?

The game is pretty limited in general for dialogue. Randi does talk but since it's mostly NPCs and villains explaining plot, he doesn't have a need to have many lines.

Mory Dunz

The game is pretty limited in general for dialogue. Randi does talk but since it's mostly NPCs and villains explaining plot, he doesn't have a need to have many lines.

Ok, thanks. I was trying to remember.

But about the game, one of the top Super Nintendo games for sure.
I must say, I did like Secret of Mana 2 more though.

At the time, being able to choose your own party, the order of your party, and having everyone's stories intertwined really blew me away, not even to speak of gameplay.

My favourite game of all time. Even though I never managed to finish it, it truly holds a special place in my heart. A friend actually gave this game to me back when I was around 12 years old. Even though the SNES' generation had long come and gone, I frequently played SNES games. I loved the multiplayer of this game and just exploring the world with a friend by my side was tons of fun. Secret of Mana's world managed to give me the chills every time I discovered a new area. Every place had its own vibe, own atmosphere, own music and own story. The world, with all its elements, from art style to music to characters to game play, really managed to surprise me with its diversity and beauty. And I loved it. And I still do.

Here are some links I would like to share with you:
The Angriest: Secret of Mana
Chiptuned: 1UP's Game Music Blog: A Conversation With Secret of Mana's Composer
Secret Of Mana / Seiken Densetsu 2 [SNES - Beta / Unused Stuff / Debug] | Unseen 64

Hey, thanks for the links! I added 2 of them to the OP. I didn't add the composer interview since I already had that under the "Interesting Extras" section :).

I will buy this the minute releases it on Wii U VC. Playing Earthbound for the first time ever that way is magical.

Wii U could be the ultimate throw back machine <3

CTLance

Fuck me I am old.

Oh well. Amazing games, amazing music, love the art style.

"Final Fantasy Adventure" & Secret of Mana & Legend of Mana remain my favourite games on their respective consoles. I think. Well, with this being the 20th anniversary thread, let's just say they are. Not that far from the truth.

*shakes angry fist in vague direction of SquEnix HQ*

Also: RIP Hir&#333; Isono

Dio

Banned
Seiken Densetsu 3 is awesome, I've been cooping it with friends.

Man, I am so glad it's not a broken shitty game like Secret of Mana, what with its palette swap bosses, horrible hit detection, incoherent story, terrible magic leveling system and all. At least the game looked good, but now that I'm 10 hours into SD3 with coop I see the light.

JP

Fantastic game, this and Chrono Trigger for me are as good as Square get. Probably never happen or if it did it wouldn't be handled well but I'd be very happy to pay SquareEnix prices for a HDified version of some of their better games on PSN.

Top Bottom