• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana 20th Anniversary Thread

Aeana

I would love a bugfixed version of this game with new sound programming. One of the most regrettable things about Secret of Mana is that the code for determining which sound channels are least important is messed up. It cuts out melody channels rather than less important channels to play combat sound efffects, and it has always bugged me immensely. I always figured it was the result of the move from the SNES CD addon to a cartridge game.

jaxword

Fantastic game, this and Chrono Trigger for me are as good as Square get. Probably never happen or if it did it wouldn't be handled well but I'd be very happy to pay SquareEnix prices for a HDified version of some of their better games on PSN.

ctblWku.jpg

GbzXHqt.jpg

PVQLUew.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ob9UWjY.gif

This is a beautiful, beautiful picture...

Raitaro

Great OP!

Ahh, Secret of Mana. One of my most replayed SNES games. And one of the few games that I could play with my mum as a child because it wasn't too complex for her. I absolutely adore it because of its fantastic music, addictive combat and the multiplayer option. I also loved the way in which most of game world is connected in real time without map screens etc.

I still need to try Secret of Mana 2 / Seiken Densetsu 3 for real unfortunately, which you can buy on a reproduction cart that includes English text these days from places like Timewalkgames. The parts I did try out before were somewhat disappointing though as the combat somehow felt less enjoyable. But maybe this was just a bad first impression.

If only Squenix would release a modern take on Secret of Mana that didn't deviate too far into other genres or gimmicks, or rerelease Seiken 3 in English on the Wii U e-shop at least. Wishful thinking for sure, but still...

JonnyBrad

Because Chrono Trigger didn't come out in the UK for about a year after the US release i bought it assuming it was a Secret of Mana sequel. Based on the pretty much sprite swaps with 2 of the main characters and the fact that there weren't any UK reviews out for it when i imported it.

Was in for a bit of a shock as had never played turn based before but thank god i did.

I still prefer 3 player Secret of Mana to just about any game i have ever played though.

destrudo

I find it puzzling how Square never managed to make another good 3 player action RPG like this. The formula seemed simple enough to build on but the later games all seemed lacking something. I've played them all but none have been as enjoyable as this and no that's not nostalgia talking, as I only played through it recently.

I would absolutely love a remake of this with a revamped battle system.

Gloam

Friends and I used to play this a lot back in the day. We'd name our characters after soft drinks. Many a good times, must dust off the Wii and give SoM a go over the coming days.

Ourobolus

Banned
Such a great, if...unpolished game. I remember when I first played it, some weird glitch with the castle below Pandora prevented me from continuing. Came back later after starting a new game and finished it.

Always loved Into the Thick of It and the song when you fly around with Flammie before the sky gets dark. So good.

I'm glad I got the iOS version though. The controls kinda suck, but not to the point where you can't play it. It's great to have around.

One of my favorite games and soundtracks of all time. Also one of only a handful of titles I've played more than once. I'm probably about due for another replay.

CTLance

need to play this in english. the german translation was godawful!
Aw c'mon, it wasn't that bad.
It9OqoG.jpg

Awright, I yield. It was. :(

At least we got the amazing guide and a humongous box instead of some shoddy manual and a standard-sized box. That counts for something.

one of the best games of all time

truly had an emotional bond with my character - really hated the asshole villagers who freaking threw an orphaned kid out to fend for himself - made me want to finish the game on that basis alone

i'm hoping one day nintendo bankrolls ishii/grezzo to make a spiritual successor to secret of mana...

EDIT: and as long as we're linking music

prophecy (orchestra) (first 1:33)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9NQ-0MQZcg

KiraXD

Such a bummer that Dawn of Mana was so terrible... it was SOOoooooo pretty! like one of the best LOOKING ps2 games.

If only SE would make a new one using the art direction from SD2, SD3 and DoM... with the gameplay of Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3... with and engine like whatever Vanillaware is using for Dragons Crown... i would buy it... i would probably buy 10.

(but Dawn of Mana is still nice to look at... although it will make you sad too)

dawn-of-mana-20070409102120880-1955732.jpg

dawn-of-mana-20070326013729183-1944937.jpg

e3-2006-dawn-of-mana-20060508042210168-1492096.jpg

dawn-of-mana-playtest-20070108112007596-1780055.jpg

600full-dawn-of-mana-screenshot.jpg

-vert-dawn-of-mana-5309.jpg

Such a bummer that Dawn of Mana was so terrible... it was SOOoooooo pretty! like one of the best LOOKING ps2 games.

If only SE would make a new one using the art direction from SD2, SD3 and DoM... with the gameplay of Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3... with and engine like whatever Vanillaware is using for Dragons Crown... i would buy it... i would probably buy 10.

(but Dawn of Mana is still nice to look at... although it will make you sad too)

dawn-of-mana-20070409102120880-1955732.jpg

dawn-of-mana-20070326013729183-1944937.jpg

e3-2006-dawn-of-mana-20060508042210168-1492096.jpg

dawn-of-mana-playtest-20070108112007596-1780055.jpg

-vert-dawn-of-mana-5309.jpg
Wow, amazing.

-NeoTB1-

Secret of Mana was the definitive JRPG that really pulled me into the genre. I had played Final Fantasy and other similar games before it, but none of them really clicked with me like this game. I still go back and play it from time to time.

Good lord, I'm old.

One of the best OSTs of all time. Easily my most played SNES RPG.

I didn't find out who Nasir was until years later, interesting story there.

caffeware

Banned
I would love a bugfixed version of this game with new sound programming. One of the most regrettable things about Secret of Mana is that the code for determining which sound channels are least important is messed up. It cuts out melody channels rather than less important channels to play combat sound efffects, and it has always bugged me immensely.

Well, in the other had it feels like a live orchestra in a theatrical event where the music goes along the action. :p

---
I don't get the hate for the AI. Remember this was the 16-bit era. What other action game had AI controlled partners? None. The game is ground breaking in this regard.

Taking Chrono Trigger as an example: the game was intended to be more like an action-rpg, yet the programmer couldn't get all things running at once; hence the "semi action system" of that game.

Higuchi: Hmm, of course I did think that to an extent, but you don't know that it will work out the way you expect. It's that gap that's really hard. Actually, we were hoping to make something where the monsters moved better, and you could move around a lot doing the smallest actions, so it would move the same way as an action game, but the Super Nintendo had its limits—the processing speed was slow, there's only so much V-RAM, and we took a lot of time dealing with things like that.

Chrono Trigger Development Team Special Talk". Gamest (Shinseisha): 211–215. March 1995.

Yet, Secret of Mana programmers achieved seamless battles with multiple enemies!

Also this game is a 16-bit cartridge, while SD3 and Chrono Trigger are 24-bit, hence the less palettes swaps and "better graphics" in those games.

Aeana

Yet, Secret of Mana programmers achieved seamless battles with multiple enemies!

Also this game is a 16-bit cartridge, while SD3 and Chrono Trigger are 24-bit, hence the less palettes swaps and "better graphics" in those games.

I'm not sure why this is such an achievement. They achieved seamless battles with multiple enemies on the Gameboy, too.

Aesthet1c

Such an amazing game. Still one of my all time favorites. I've probably my finished this game at least a dozen times. I'm excited for my kids to get a little older so we can play through it together.

Skab

Wait. Those were the official names? The US strategy guide had different names for them. I'm confused now.

Edit: I think I'm actually mixing them up with something else. So ignore this, I'm dumb.

CorvoSol

Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Adventure, and SD3 are some of my favorite games ever. I played them so much when I was younger.

Celine

I'm not sure why this is such an achievement. They achieved seamless battles with multiple enemies on the Gameboy, too.
Nor was SoM the first big action RPG for the system since Soul Blazer came out a few years before and Illusion of Gaia was released just 3 months later.

Co-op was a first thought.

Krelian

20 years now, wow. I remember playing the game with my sister. One of the few games she ever played. Too bad I can't remember if we finished it together. I did finish the game sometime though.

JaseMath

Great job, OP! Some of my fondest gaming memories are with SoM. I need to play it again soon.

Edit: Are any of the GBA or DS games worth playing?

halfbeast

Banned
Aw c'mon, it wasn't that bad.
It9OqoG.jpg

Awright, I yield. It was. :(

At least we got the amazing guide and a humongous box instead of some shoddy manual and a standard-sized box. That counts for something.

this and the guy wearing shades pretending to be "Heino" - ugh! all of my hate!

but the big box art + guide was pretty sweet. :3

Mitsurux

I'll never forget going over to my friends house and he was playing a game that sorta look like the legend of Zelda..... then he said, pick up a controller.... (i was blown away).. a multiplayer co-op action rpg on SNES...

just a great game

The title screen music still gets me to this day

I hate to nitpick over something that had such an impact when I was younger, but after looking at the comparisons....

...was there a reason why the US version got the equivalent of a low resolution image compared to the JPN title screen?

I'd say they just zoomed in a bit, but the JPN version has pixel detail not seen in the US version. It's like they zoomed in and softened up, making it look worse in comparison

US
Ob9UWjY.gif

JPN
sd2_intro_loop.gif

sd2_intro_long.gif

KaYotiX

Banned
Best game ever made.

HELL YES!!

I remember hooking up a multitap and me,my brother and cousin all played it during a 4 day weekend and beat it. One of my best memories as a gamer growing up.

PS> Chiming in for the "Damn I feel old" crowd.

I hate to nitpick over something that had such an impact when I was younger, but after looking at the comparisons....

...was there a reason why the US version got the equivalent of a low resolution image compared to the JPN title screen?

I'd say they just zoomed in a bit, but the JPN version has pixel detail not seen in the US version. It's like they zoomed in and softened up, making it look worse in comparison

US
Ob9UWjY.gif

JPN
sd2_intro_loop.gif

sd2_intro_long.gif
Yeah, that is weird. I wonder if it's because they think Americans don't like feeling small and insignificant? It reminds me of the amazing Ico boxart from Japan and EU which America didn't get:

Ikon

Man, Secret of Mana really is one of my fondest gaming memories. I still have my SNES copy (although only the cartridge has survived these 20 years) and have replayed it more times than I can count. It's a blast alone and magical with the right friends. I'm terribly biased but I'm just soo in love with every aspect of this game, even the grinding for magic levels is a fond memory for me :)

To think that Square went from Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI to their latest offerings. For shame.

Natetan

I love the game to death, but playing it again recently I realized how nonsensical the story is. If you can just accept you need to get the mana seeds because reasons then it doesn't really matter. Gameplay is fun, magic is fun, beautiful game and great music more than make up for the silly non story.

I love equally as much secret of evermore too. Soe had some great humor actually and amazing music. Alchemy wasn't bad either.

SD3 didn't really resonate with me for some reason. The game play feels way less smooth than the other two games. Yes it has some very nice pixel art but outside that I didn't enjoy it as much as the others.

Top Bottom