• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret World Legends |OT| The Return of Cthulhu ft. Soviet Space Vampires

I'm just waiting for controller support to jump into this game.

Do you guys think/know it will happen? If so, will it be soon?

Devs said maybe at some point, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Also, regards to shitty performance on high-end machines: you might want to fiddle with settings. Apparently for some people, having lower than the highest settings actually caused FPS issues.

I'm just waiting for controller support to jump into this game.

Do you guys think/know it will happen? If so, will it be soon?

Devs said they would look at it. So no, absolutely no idea. In the meantime you can use programs like xpadder which work great. I use it myself.

Only downside might is that you still need the keyboard for entering text (puzzle solutions, chatting).

Is anyone else getting terrible performance like sub 30fps and screen tearing? I'm on a gtx 1060 with 16 gigs of ram.

Performance has drastically improved for me compared to The Secret World. I'm on GTX 770 with 8 gigs of ram.

Here's a thread on reddit with a similar problem, maybe you can try here something that helps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SecretWorl...iculous_on_modern_pc/?st=j52d7awh&sh=572a0790

Ascheroth

Amusement park quests were great. Really liked the roller coaster ride.

Some questions:
What are the best things to spend your Marks on? Anything more useful than sprinting speed upgrades?

Is there a way to see how much Lore you haven't found in a zone?

Amusement park quests were great. Really liked the roller coaster ride.

Some questions:
What are the best things to spend your Marks on? Anything more useful than sprinting speed upgrades?

Is there a way to see how much Lore you haven't found in a zone?

You can buy better gear on the AH with marks. Also clothing, inventory space, sprinting, certain upgrades.

I don't think you can filter on lore per zone. But I wouldn't worry about that and just collect the lore you find and leave the rest for later. Some lore is also very rare and drops from bosses under certain conditions or from seasonal events. XP wise it is actually best to leave collecting lore until level 50 because it scales.

Malyse

I just want this on consoles with controller support. I enjoy playing it, but mouse and keyboard feels cumbersome with all the streamlining that's been done.

Won

Finished up New England and I'm on the way to Egypt. Getting to the point at which I got stuck during the original release. Let's see if I can get past it.

Random notes:
Really dislike the daily challenges. Creates some weird playing habits for me. Usually I just ignore crappy daily quest systems, but the Marks are used for everything and it gets a bit annoying.

On the other side I actually doing the dungeons this time around. Quite nice how little trash is in them and I enjoy the easy mode to just experience them once. (No plan for sticking around for any endgame)

Menome

Honestly, I'm just not purposefully doing the Daily Challenges. I get a bunch of them done each session via general playtime and it's a nice bonus on top of what I'm already getting. I'm nearing the end of New England and I've still managed to accumulate all-blue weapons and talismans so far thanks to dungeon-runs constantly giving me Distillate drops.

Even with splashing out on a couple of clothing items, I'm sitting at around 40,000 marks with nothing to spend them on.

Finished up New England and I'm on the way to Egypt. Getting to the point at which I got stuck during the original release. Let's see if I can get past it.

Random notes:
Really dislike the daily challenges. Creates some weird playing habits for me. Usually I just ignore crappy daily quest systems, but the Marks are used for everything and it gets a bit annoying.

On the other side I actually doing the dungeons this time around. Quite nice how little trash is in them and I enjoy the easy mode to just experience them once. (No plan for sticking around for any endgame)

Dailies are really dumb, yes. They were introduced in the last year of The Secret World and were a lot better back then to be honest. Now it's just the same every day.

Sölf

So, for those who are already playing, how is it compared to the old version? Is the combat really good now (or at least better than before)? And considering the game is now single player/small group content, how exactly does this differ from before? Do I just see less people outside of the main hub? Any other changes? What about the dungeons, since I am not sure if the Tank/Heal/DPS trinity is still there (especially with the whole weapon revamp).

Sölf;243609645 said:
So, for those who are already playing, how is it compared to the old version? Is the combat really good now (or at least better than before)? And considering the game is now single player/small group content, how exactly does this differ from before? Do I just see less people outside of the main hub? Any other changes? What about the dungeons, since I am not sure if the Tank/Heal/DPS trinity is still there (especially with the whole weapon revamp).

Combat is sort of better. I think they made some visuals and sound effects snappier but otherwise, it's not too different from the old one. Main improvement is that instead of mapping skills to 1-7, you map to both mouse keys, Q, E and 1,2,3. So at least for me, it's much more comfortable. Old tab targeting is replaced with third person aiming style, which was actually available in TSW as well.

To be honest, the whole small group thing doesn't feel that different from what TSW was, at least at the end of its lifespan. Even in TSW, they limited the number of people on maps, IIRC.

Tank/Heal/DPS trinity is still there. I haven't checked out the Elite dungeons yet, but they should correspond to Elite/Nightmare variations in TSW. The Normal dungeons are VERY easy and require no trinity party composition whatsoever, hell, you can solo Polaris very early on Normal. I think they did it so people could just get a more relaxing attempt at a dungeon before running them for real on Elite difficulties.

Skill tree has been MASSIVELY dumbed down. Most of the passives of a particular weapon boost only specific skills of that weapon to begin with, no interesting ways to combine the passives of, let's say a Sword, to work with an active skill of the Shotgun skill tree. None of that is here. I mean, having two different weapons to begin with is almost pointless now, since the more you use a particular weapon, the better crits and other bonuses you get towards that proficiency.

New content (that was not available in TSW) is promised at the beginning of next year. Presumably, a new continent and the launch of the Season 2 of the storyline. Hopefully.

Ascheroth

Ffs I'm getting really pissed now.
Every time I think things are running smooth now, I get trouble with the audio.

Currently doing the "Strangers from a strange land" quest, which requires you to find those runestones and listen to the ravens. Well, I can't hear what the fucking Ravens are saying. Which is not a problem in itself, since the quest counts it as heared anyway, but then at one point you have to answer questions. I CAN'T EVEN HEAR THE FUCKING QUESTIONS AND IT'S WRITTEN DOWN NOWHERE. The first time I didn't even realize I was supposed to give an answer I just clicked on one option. Which of course was wrong.
On the plus side, I had to listen to the question again and this time I actually heard it. BUT THEN I COULDN'T CLICK ON ANY OF THE ANSWERS. I had to go away and come back for it to work.
Same shit happening at the Runestone.

Fuck you Funcom, how the fuck is it possible that something as essential as TALKING TO NPCs is broken. I actually can't listen to any of the non-mission dialog with NPCs. Which I didn't mind until now, as that was content I already played.

I set my audio settings to Steoro, which fixed the cutscene bug at least. I used the 'Repair Broken Files' or what it's called from the launcher. Didn't do jackshit.

Was actually considering leaving some money later on, as I'm the enjoying the game, but I don't think this is worth paying for. I'm pretty annoyed right now.

Menome

Have you got the in-game subtitles turned on? Or sometimes local NPC speech can turn up in Local in the Chat Window.

Menome

I do. I see them when they actually talk. But they usually just don't talk. And nothing shows up in the chat window.

Also, as I made this mistake when I did the quest: Are you clicking on the correct raven for the question? Only one of them will give you the question, the other stays silent if you click them first.

Ascheroth

Also, as I made this mistake when I did the quest: Are you clicking on the correct raven for the question? Only one of them will give you the question, the other stays silent if you click them first.
No I did.
I actually found out that it works if I click on Hugin -> I hear nothing, quest gets updated -> wait 10 seconds -> click again, hear something. Same thing with Munin too. First time talking doesn't do anything, second time talking actually works.
Seems to work the same way with the normal NPCs with dialog options as well. Although the problem there is that first time clicking 'locks' the options, but since there is no talking, the talking never ends and so they don't 'unlock' unless I go away and wait awhile before coming back.
Which. Is. Annoying. As. Fuck.
Edit: Scratch that bit about the NPCs. It's entirely random when it works and when it doesn't. Sigh.

Parsnip

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but how viable is it to play this alone?

Was always curious about the Secret World but it being an mmo and not free, never took the plunge. But now with this, I might.

Altairre

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but how viable is it to play this alone?

Was always curious about the Secret World but it being an mmo and not free, never took the plunge. But now with this, I might.

Extremely viable, after the update even more so than before. I personally play it almost exclusively alone, I only use the group finder for the area dungeons if I'm in the mood. The best things about Secret World are by far the setting, characters, story and writing in general. Just give it a shot, there's really no reason not to.

Parsnip

Extremely viable, after the update even more so than before. I personally play it almost exclusively alone, I only use the group finder for the area dungeons if I'm in the mood. The best things about Secret World are by far the setting, characters, story and writing in general. Just give it a shot, there's really no reason not to.
Cool cool cool, this is great to hear.

I still remember those Secret World trailers that got me super excited about the setting only to get super bummed that it was an mmo.

How's the player population? I reckon this game is almost dead from the last time I played. (2013)

A lot of new players with the relaunch. Also be aware that the game is set up so you won't see many people in the zones. So the fact that you are only seeing one or two other players is absolutely meaningless.

Basically for every zone I think it's pretty feasible that you can solo the dungeon if you leave it as your last mission for that zone, and have half-decent skill loadout selected. Might require a character that has some healing skills, though.

Ascheroth

Uh wtf?

I wanted to do the Into the Inferno mission as the last one from the Savage Coast. Take the quest. Enter the dungeon trough the door. Proceeded to die against the first boss, as everything is level 30 there.
Thought 'fuck that shit, why can't I solo a level 21 quest at 29. Why are there even level 30 enemies in a level 21 quest?'
Proceeded to leave and check the door again. Turns it out I went into the wrong dungeon. I can only select the 'War against Darkness' dungeon and the 'Rising Hell' one is unselectable. Because I'm level 29 and the dungeon is for 19-27? I don't think this is how it's supposed to work. Because it's complete bullshit if that's the case.

Man, I really want to love this game. I love the setting, atmosphere, writing and quests. But I stumble across so many bullshit bugs(?) that suck all the enjoyment out of it.

Menome

Uh wtf?

I wanted to do the Into the Inferno mission as the last one from the Savage Coast. Take the quest. Enter the dungeon trough the door. Proceeded to die against the first boss, as everything is level 30 there.
Thought 'fuck that shit, why can't I solo a level 21 quest at 29. Why are there even level 30 enemies in a level 21 quest?'
Proceeded to leave and check the door again. Turns it out I went into the wrong dungeon. I can only select the 'War against Darkness' dungeon and the 'Rising Hell' one is unselectable. Because I'm level 29 and the dungeon is for 19-27? I don't think this is how it's supposed to work. Because it's complete bullshit if that's the case.

Man, I really want to love this game. I love the setting, atmosphere, writing and quests. But I stumble across so many bullshit bugs(?) that suck all the enjoyment out of it.

Not a bug. You have to select 'Private Team' in the bottom-right of the Dungeon list, otherwise you're level-locked out because it's still trying to matchmake.

Is anyone here a patron? Is it worth it?

Still deciding whether to install this new game or just finish the story in the old Secret World.

Is anyone here a patron? Is it worth it?

Still deciding whether to install this new game or just finish the story in the old Secret World.

Patron is certainly worth it if you have any plans to stay around for endgame. If you just want to play solo and see the story content, less so.

Patron is certainly worth it if you have any plans to stay around for endgame. If you just want to play solo and see the story content, less so.

Hmmm... maybe I'll just do it for a month. The double AP/SP and extra teleport points are enticing. Don't want to waste time with the missions I've already done. (It's $15 right? Can't find a price online.)

Won

In Egypt 2 now, a good way past I stopped originally. Interesting premise for a zone, but I am a bit tired of the Egypt theme at this point and all the sidequest scattered around don't look too appealing.

I assume all the teleports in the main story weren't there in the original, because they make it awfully easy to just plow through it, which I welcome.

derFeef

In Egypt 2 now, a good way past I stopped originally. Interesting premise for a zone, but I am a bit tired of the Egypt theme at this point and all the sidequest scattered around don't look too appealing.

I assume all the teleports in the main story weren't there in the original, because they make it awfully easy to just plow through it, which I welcome.

Egypt is my least favourite zone. I think it looks really bad compared to the other zones and the missions are also not really well done.

I personally really like Egypt, especially the second zone. But it's a divisive area, yes. Not everyone likes the linearity and the difficult to manage terrain there. But I really like the story of Ptahmose and the Sentinels.

I think the first area of Egypt is my favourite place in the game. I love the crazed zealots and the whole cult storyline. The second area is a bit sparse though.

For me Transylvania is the worst (which doesn't say too much because I think every area is still pretty good). The main story with Mara and the Draculesti is trash, though it does get more interesting when they introduce
Lillith

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I can't fucking wait for Egypt. I'm in Blue Mountain Hell right now and the larger area in general just gets boring as hell.

Savage Coast is a fantastic zone though, the whole theme park, the League of Monster Slayers, the Black House, awesome lore, awesome missions. But fuck Blue Mountain.

derFeef

I can't fucking wait for Egypt. I'm in Blue Mountain Hell right now and the larger area in general just gets boring as hell.

Savage Coast is a fantastic zone though, the whole theme park, the League of Monster Slayers, the Black House, awesome lore, awesome missions. But fuck Blue Mountain.

Haha, yeah it's weird. Transylvania raised the same feelings a bit for me, but it has some redeeming qualities.

Ascheroth

I'm at the beginning of Blue Mountain and haven't found it too bad so far.
But yes, Savage Coast was fantastic.

Sölf

So, 2 more days until release, right? I will definitly dip into this, even if only to experience Kingsmouth again.

Wollan

Why relaunch and not get that sweet sweet console money?
Likely because it's a proprietary engine (that's a bit rough around the edges) and adapting it for consoles would potentially not be worth it and/or be a long process.

Their new Conan game is using UE4 and is a multiplatform title.

So I've been playing this for a couple of days. Improved combat, easier low-level difficulty and other QoL improvements have me loving this new version.

I feel like this game would sell like crazy if it ever got a console release, it's so unlike anything else on the market really.

But the investigation missions would be a real pain in the ass.

Top Bottom