• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret World Legends |OT| The Return of Cthulhu ft. Soviet Space Vampires

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The hell. I tried logging in to my regular account and now it says I can only use it via Steam?
Is this because my OG Funcom/Secret World account was made via Steam or what?

Time to see if I can start the DL on Steam and just copy the old install folder into the steam subfolder.

Edit: That's a no on importing game assets.

Re-Edit: Oh, had to cancel the download, copy the files over, relaunch Steam and start it again, it's discovering the already downloaded files now. Nice :). Wish Steam would just have an "Import Game Data" option built in, would be much quicker.

Re-Re-Editing-Revengeance: Fucks sake Funcom, did you really have to make the Steam files different to the degree that Steam imported literally zero files from the old installation? So I either convert my account to a Funcom account and lose the Steam benefits or wait 5 hours. Good grief.

BTA

Took me a month but I was going to finally start on the whole actually start the original -> get The Park bonuses -> transfer to Legends process, only to discover the game's like 50 GB. Which would have been fine, except I think my roommate and I passed some cap on our internet because we're currently not getting what we're paying for anymore (hopefully that changes tomorrow as the month ended).

Now, on that note... is there any way to make sure I'm actually downloading the right game? It's in my Steam Library but it's titled Secret World Legends, so... I'm a little afraid of waiting a day for it to download only to find it's the wrong version.

EDIT: Now I'm hearing I apparently had to make an account by June 22nd for to do any of this, despite the transfer cutoff being in August? Fuck that.

EDIT2: I've emailed support about it. I'm way more annoyed than I should be about a game I'd probably not end up playing anyway, but it sucks to be sitting here looking at these CD keys and knowing I'm getting nothing for owning this.

Helloween

New player here, which is the best faction?

All are great, but between them I'd same Illuminati if you would love a snarky hilarious handler, or Templar if you wanted a serious business thoughtful one.

Though I would say the unique faction quests for Templar are slightly creepier

Templer I guess as they are more straight forward. Illuminati is too sarcastic and Dragon is just plain weird.

They get the best quest giver in Kaidan
who also comes out on top after the events since basically the factions get exposed. Not only that, he kicks out that lady who has a stick up her butt to become the #2 in the Dragon.

Sölf

Played a bit today and yesterday. I am not far yet, only reached level 7 and just visited Norma. But damn, it feels good to be back in Kingsmouth. <3

Were all those champion mobs there before and just dead all the time or were they a new addition (or maybe just the map icons)?

Sölf

I am nearly done with Kingsmouth now. A few quests left (I think around 8 or 9, including side missions) and then it's off to the Savage Coast. Man, I will miss this region. Savage Coast was still great, especially with the university, but once I hit Blue Mountain I really didn't enjoy the theme in there. And then Egypt... >_>

However, something different. So, after I am done with Kingsmouth I want to try the first dungeon. I know that they have been changed to be able to do them without tank/healer and 3 people, but I've also read I could basically solo them when I do that quest after I finished the zone. I never did a single Dungeon in the old Secret World version, so anything I need to look out for? Do I really need heal skills even if I am level, I don't know, 18-20? How much "tactics" are needed for the bosses during Story Mode?

Ascheroth

Sölf;245273736 said:
I am nearly done with Kingsmouth now. A few quests left (I think around 8 or 9, including side missions) and then it's off to the Savage Coast. Man, I will miss this region. Savage Coast was still great, especially with the university, but once I hit Blue Mountain I really didn't enjoy the theme in there. And then Egypt... >_>

However, something different. So, after I am done with Kingsmouth I want to try the first dungeon. I know that they have been changed to be able to do them without tank/healer and 3 people, but I've also read I could basically solo them when I do that quest after I finished the zone. I never did a single Dungeon in the old Secret World version, so anything I need to look out for? Do I really need heal skills even if I am level, I don't know, 18-20? How much "tactics" are needed for the bosses during Story Mode?
I soloed Polaris with Chaos/Blood. The solo mode is pretty easy, but you definitely want some sort of healing. Doesn't have to be an active healing skill, but at least passive stuff.

Sölf

I soloed Polaris with Chaos/Blood. The solo mode is pretty easy, but you definitely want some sort of healing. Doesn't have to be an active healing skill, but at least passive stuff.

I am currently using Elemental/Chaos with most AP/SP put into Elemental thingies. Should I switch to a weapon with an active healing skill (Shotgun for example) just so I actually have something? I mainly ask because I think the only passive healing I have is 4% max HP heal for every chaos paradox I do (which... may or may not happen at all).

Ascheroth

Sölf;245278875 said:
I am currently using Elemental/Chaos with most AP/SP put into Elemental thingies. Should I switch to a weapon with an active healing skill (Shotgun for example) just so I actually have something? I mainly ask because I think the only passive healing I have is 4% max HP heal for every chaos paradox I do (which... may or may not happen at all).
That was the only one I had as well : P
Though my passive skills were basically all for increasing paradox chance, heh.

You're probably fine though.

Jharp

Been wanting to jump back into this game, as it's one of the most underrated MMOs out there. Two questions-

Does owning the Ultimate version on Steam get me anything special?

How has combat changed? More actiony? Third person shooter mode actually feel more like an action game?

Sölf

Been wanting to jump back into this game, as it's one of the most underrated MMOs out there. Two questions-

Does owning the Ultimate version on Steam get me anything special?

How has combat changed? More actiony? Third person shooter mode actually feel more like an action game?

They changed quite a bit. As for combat, each weapon now has unique gameplay. For example, Elemental has attacks that generate heat. The more heat you have the more damage you do. However, if you overheat you can't cast any of those skills. To prevent that from happening, you also have skills that reduce heat. So you have to jiggle your skills and resources to get enough heat but not overheat.

Chaos is just that, chaos. Whenever you deal damage divided by 8 you get a sort of combo point. When all are full you create 1 out of 3 paradoxes: Create clones which attack enemies, create 3 AoE damage zones around you, buff an enemy and when you kill him while he is buffed you get an even stronger version of that buff for yourself.

If I had to compare it, I would say it's a mix of Wildstar and WoW. It's not as actiony as Wildstar, because you still basically target enemies, but with a moving camera depending on where you are looking, it feels more like Wildstar combat than WoW.

Aside from that, when you start the game you now basically choose a class which unlocks 2 of the 9 weapons. If you bought Secret World before you can claim your legacy account and instantly get access to all weapons and several cosmetics you ownd back in the day. However, this only lasts until some time in August, so you need to decide "quickly".

Won

Took a break after finishing Egypt 2, waiting for Tokyo, not realizing how much there is to Transylvania.

Probaly gonna focus only on the main mission, like I did with Egypt 2. The AP/SP gain at max level feels pitiful anyway.

cj_iwakura

Hopefully someone here still plays this... I'm updating TSW to Legends(finally), and the climber is way into the 90GB for the download. Is this normal?

Fuz

Banned
Hopefully someone here still plays this... I'm updating TSW to Legends(finally), and the climber is way into the 90GB for the download. Is this normal?
I still play it when there's an event or new missions.
I'm a huge fan of the original TSW. They managed to do a lot of wrong things with this "re-release" (gear in lootboxes, excessively simplified combat, extenuating gear leveling etc.), but it's still a good game and there aren't many games out there with such an amazing writing.

No idea about the download size, sorry.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

I still play it when there's an event or new missions.
I'm a huge fan of the original TSW. They managed to do a lot of wrong things with this "re-release" (gear in lootboxes, excessively simplified combat, extenuating gear leveling etc.), but it's still a good game and there aren't many games out there with such an amazing writing.

No idea about the download size, sorry.
Yeah, I didn't want to update, but running the original kept going sideways for me.

Top Bottom