• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret World Legends |OT| The Return of Cthulhu ft. Soviet Space Vampires

Hmm I was thinking of giving this a shot after I exhaust the Stormblood content. But that monetization kinda turns me away. And patron status doesn't sound like it lifts too many of those monetization barriers.

I remember hearing good things about the original TSW. Is this one better/worse?

double AP/SP, higher xp rate, more MoF, free teleports, more dungeon keys, daily cache key, reduced mission cooldowns

sounds like a pretty good deal

Patch notes for next update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SecretWorldLegends/comments/6kk9l9/update_201_preview_secret_world_legends/

honestly there is absolutely no reason to play TSW over SWL

cj_iwakura

Altairre

Yes but it's way, way worse now. You used to be able to talk to Moose, do his mission, come back, do his next mission, come back, until you were done. Then you never had to fucking talk to Moose again. Now I never know when his next one will unlock.

Obviously this doesn't bug you guys as much as it does me, but I am very intent on a methodical process of clearing content and it annoys me.

Pretty sure they did that to string people along a bit more in the first area. Once you reach the savage coast you're free to do it your way again, there are none of these restrictions as far as I can tell.

Patron changes actually made me look up what you are actually geting atm and what it costs and just had to laugh. Quite pathetic.

There is a Mark <> Aurum exchange in the auction house window.
How do you find these? Searching for aurum yields no results.

EDIT: NVM, I'm dumb.

Menome

Having finally had a sword drop, the new combat mechanics are bloody awful for trying to kite with it. The targeting-area in which attacks will activate is far too unforgiving for moving around in combat.

I'm now also going to contradict myself and say that combat in general is too easy now. Enemies are walkovers, and half of the tension built up in the classic version was by not wanting to piss anything off unless you had to, because fights were tough.

Having finally had a sword drop, the new combat mechanics are bloody awful for trying to kite with it. The targeting-area in which attacks will activate is far too unforgiving for moving around in combat.

I'm now also going to contradict myself and say that combat in general is too easy now. Enemies are walkovers, and half of the tension built up in the classic version was by not wanting to piss anything off unless you had to, because fights were tough.

The fights were piss easy already in TSW as well. They nerfed the PvE as part of the new player experience ages ago.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah I'm level 14 now and it's evened out to be similar in difficulty to vanilla imo, you just start off stronger in Legends.

Mithos

Having played SWL for a few days now, the differences between "Patreon status" and Free is way to big, 8hrs cooldown on missions vs 60-72hrs cooldown on Free.

m_dorian

Combat remains uninteresting but the sparse density of mobs is something i wanted from this game.
Approaching it as a single player experience is working well but it is still an MMO so i have to endure the annoying respawns.

Having a daily cap of 10.000 (12.000) marks is like the game is telling you to stop playing after you reached that level. Does not feel right.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just did Polaris and all I got was item exp boosts. :(. There's like a 50/50 chance of getting something else and I literally only got shit. Not even a Major Talisman or anything. Ugh.

Having played SWL for a few days now, the differences between "Patreon status" and Free is way to big, 8hrs cooldown on missions vs 60-72hrs cooldown on Free.

as it should be

Repeating missions is not a core part of the game so longer cooldowns makes a lot of sense for f2p.

Menome

Aside from dungeons and helping out lower-level Cabal members, I didn't repeat any missions in my original time with the game. There was more than enough to do without risking ending up under-levelled.

Tendo

If I'm not tales from my butt'ing, I'm pretty sure I read the devs would look into other payment options in the future

They did say they would look into it. May get one of those pre loaded visa gift cards to use in the mean time.

daxy

That site is in German. Does it work with US cards or do you know of a us equivalent?

You can click EN in the top right to switch to English. An alternative is Skrill, which has lower upload fees if you don't intend to large sums of money in (it's % based) but I believe you'll need to wait for the card to arrive.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun just posted their review of the game. It's kind of a mixed bag for them and, to be honest, the very constrainted and strict F2P restrictions kinda put me off from getting into the game.

I guess I'll stick with FFXIV, then go back to TESO and, once I'm done with those two, I'll try this one. But, honestly, my interest in it has been deeply diminished :/

Update on Wednesday will alleviate a lot of those constraints. The dungeon keys restriction remains though, hopefully they will address that later on. Also the review doesn't mention that you can buy aurum with in-game money. And that you can sell caches for shards. Seems like the author just immediately assumed the worst every time.

Anyway the main reason to play Secret World Legends is the storyline, which outclasses every MMO and even most single-player games. And absolutely none of that is hidden behind a paywall.

Tendo

Update on Wednesday will alleviate a lot of those constraints. The dungeon keys restriction remains though, hopefully they will address that later on. Also the review doesn't mention that you can buy aurum with in-game money. And that you can sell caches for shards. Seems like the author just immediately assumed the worst every time.

Anyway the main reason to play Secret World Legends is the storyline, which outclasses every MMO and even most single-player games. And absolutely none of that is hidden behind a paywall.

That is how I'm selling it to some friends. Don't worry about min maxing - go in for one of the most unique worlds created in games. I love just exploring and finding new things. It is probably the only MMO I have ever played where I actually read all the text.

aravuus

Yeah, very excited to dive in at some point to experience the world and all the quests and stories in it. Just hope the gameplay is even a bit more fun than it was in the original.

Tendo

IMO it's definitely an upgrade. I wouldn't call it good, but it's okay enough to experience the story with if you're not a person who focuses on combat above all else.

I agree. I never enjoyed the combat before. Now it is a nice little action MMO feel to it. Faster paced and more fluid.

Menome

As a Pistols person, I miss the old system. The matching-chambers system either requires a complete focus in Passives to be worthwhile at the expense of everything else, or just has to be ignored completely.

Plus, as mentioned before, kiting is a pain in the backside.

Heads-up, big patch coming in 2h20 mins. Downtime is estimated to be around 4 hours.

Major changes:

Dungeon Highlights

- Introduced phase 1 of the Elite Dungeon System
- Adjusted the loot table for chests in story dungeons to provide a higher chance of receiving an item over a distillate &#8211; Rougly a 50/50 split.
- Significantly increased the rate that rare chests will spawn in story dungeons. Rare chests in story dungeons will now give both a distillate and an extraordinary item.
- Players will receive a guaranteed extraordinary item for the first dungeon they complete each day.
- Added XP to the repeatable dungeon missions.

General Highlights

- Increased the base inventory size to 35.
- Reduced the cost of Sprint 2 to 2500 Marks of Favour.
- Unlocking a weapon's active or passive page will now unlock the other page for free.
- The price of the first weapon unlock has been reduced to 5000 Marks of Favour.
- Increased the rate at which players gain AP and SP at level 50.

Patron Highlights

- Patrons will now receive 1 bonus AP whenever they gain an AP through XP.
- Players will now receive 1 bonus SP whenever they gain an SP through XP.
- Patrons now receive 20% more Marks of Favour from Challenges.
- Teleporting no longer requires Anima Shards for Patrons.
- All players can now initiate a trade with any other player as long as they are either a patron, or have reached level 15.

Xiaoki

Servers up! Got 20 ap when I logged in. Not sure why.
Are you level 50?

A lot of the changes are retroactive. AP and SP gains at level 50 were sped up.

I bought a different secondary weapon with Aurum on the first day and when I logged in after the patch the Aurum was refunded.

Tendo

Are you level 50?

A lot of the changes are retroactive. AP and SP gains at level 50 were sped up.

I bought a different secondary weapon with Aurum on the first day and when I logged in after the patch the Aurum was refunded.

I was like 12 at the time. I did read the aurum was being refunded for some things that were changed. Good move by Funcom.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Servers up! Got 20 ap when I logged in. Not sure why.

Sure it wasn't an event bonus? I think one of 'em was 20 AP

Edit: Funcom finally posting server downtimes in GMT, surprised it took this long, them being Norwegian and all.

Just did Polaris and all I got was item exp boosts. :(. There's like a 50/50 chance of getting something else and I literally only got shit. Not even a Major Talisman or anything. Ugh.

They said they're patching the Dungeons to give you an item drop on your first run and increasing the drop rate on items. I've been running Polaris and the first Hell dungeon with my crew almost daily and have yet to get an item drop. I'm fine with the distillates though, I got some nice gear I need to crank up for Egypt.

Funcom has published a roadmap for the months ahead. It seems like we will be going to either Antarctica, Oceania or South America in 2018. My bet is on Antarctica, which was teased in issue 11. Funcom has also fed speculation that Antarctica, Congo and the Moon are the next three locations in the game.

July: A Dream To Kill

2_Issue_7-1024x576.jpg

A secret agent themed issue that continues the storyline of Transylvania.

August: The Whispering Tide

A special event where you must defend Agartha from the encroaching filth.

August: Inner Kaidan

Explore Tokyo for the first time in Secret World Legends and continue the main storyline.

August: Lair Mega Bosses

Defeat summoned bosses in lair raids with up to 40 players for powerful signet rewards.

September: Manhattan Exclusion Zone Raid

Enter the Manhattan Exclusion Zone with a group of ten players and travel through the city's devastated subway system. Make your way through office blocks as terrified citizens run for their lives, and get ready to take a stand as you face the Unutterable Lurker in Times Square itself.
Just like Elite Dungeons, Raids will come in varied difficulties and will earn you powerful rewards.

September: Outer Kaidan

Continuation of the main storyline in Tokyo.

September: The Orochi Tower

Continuation of the main storyline in Tokyo.

October: Halloween Event

The Secret World had great Halloween events every year, and we are continuing the tradition with Secret World Legends as well!

December: Winter Event

The Holidays have always been a great time for new events in The Secret World and we will continue this tradition in Secret World Legends. Look forward to cool new content and outfits.

Late 2017 / Early 2018: Dark Agartha

Explore the dark corners of Agartha and meet some of its oldest residents. Push forward against dangerous enemies and collect great rewards.

Late 2017 / Early 2018: Agent System

Now that you've been going up through the ranks of your faction, it is time to get yourself a team of rookie agents and send them on adventures of their own.

Late 2017 / Early 2018: Season 2 of Secret World Legends

Continue the main story mission and follow up on a lead which will send you on your way to a brand new continent.

Menome

Spent most of yesterday evening doing the bloody jumping puzzle in the scrapyard. I hope to hell none of the others are like that in the future.

Spent most of yesterday evening doing the bloody jumping puzzle in the scrapyard. I hope to hell none of the others are like that in the future.

LOL

I also spent like an entire day on that puzzle in the original game. I vividly remember missing the last jump to a few times.

Also, ARG reward codes should have been sent out!

Tendo

I didn't know there was an ARG! Ahhh! I just solved it and put in my e-mail but no idea if I'll still get the items. Dang it!

Truant

Been playing a bit the last week, and the game holds up well. Combat feels pretty decent if you turn off the red targeting circles.

The shared world RPG thing is a good idea, as seeing dozens of players running around in the old game (2012 ish) took me out of the great atmosphere.

Currently at level 12, and the Kingsmouth part sure is meaty. Been doing most quests, and I'm digging the Lovecraftian angle a lot more now than I did five years ago. Does this continue throughout the game?

How are the other zones compared to Kingsmouth in terms of quality?

Been playing a bit the last week, and the game holds up well. Combat feels pretty decent if you turn off the red targeting circles.

The shared world RPG thing is a good idea, as seeing dozens of players running around in the old game (2012 ish) took me out of the great atmosphere.

Currently at level 12, and the Kingsmouth part sure is meaty. Been doing most quests, and I'm digging the Lovecraftian angle a lot more now than I did five years ago. Does this continue throughout the game?

How are the other zones compared to Kingsmouth in terms of quality?

In my opinion there is not really a zone which suffers from a drop in quality.

You have gloomy New England with a focus on Lovecraftian horror. Then follows bright and sunny Egypt which is a nice change of pace and is influenced by Indiana Jones. The second zone of Egypt is quite divisive and people seem to either love it or hate it. Then back to the gloomy atmosphere but this time in Transylvania which relies heavily upon European folklore and fairytales.

I think Tokyo might be my favourite zone. I absolutely love all the characters there and the main storyline is simply superb. Lots of elements from Japenese folklore and again more emphasis on horror. The zone is officially called Kaidan, which loosely translates to ghost story/horror story.

Not sure, might have to reinstall the entire game.

I've arrived in Egypt, having completed everything in New England. I am level 39, have acquired all active abilities in my two weapons and all passive abilities in one of them. Seems like the AP/SP grind isn't that harsh, at least for patrons. Item grind seems a lot worse, lol. Hopefully the rewards in Tokyo and further content will make crafting faster.

Also people, be sure to pick up the Tyler Freeborn quest at the SD card in Blue Mountain! It is pretty easy to miss and that quest chain contains one of the best quests in the entire game.

Another update.

NEW

Update 2.0.2 continues the main story mission following the events of ”Mortal Sins". You will receive instructions on how to proceed if you have completed ”Mortal Sins" and are on the mission ”What Was Missed". Investigate a rising threat, uncover secret Orochi facilities, and expose a crucial part of the story that sets up the events leading to Tokyo!

GENERAL

- Green distillates will no longer drop in Elite dungeons. You will always at least be rewarded with a blue distillate item when gaining distillates.
- PayPal is now accepted for payments.
- Shambala and Raid Groups are back available.

KentBlake

I'm just waiting for controller support to jump into this game.

Do you guys think/know it will happen? If so, will it be soon?

Top Bottom