• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret World Legends |OT| The Return of Cthulhu ft. Soviet Space Vampires

derFeef

Gear was always my main problem in TSW. I never did raids and most dungeons, and did not have any will to do PVP or farm that much.

Blue Mountain certainly USED to be where the game got hard/showed you how builds really worked. idk about now. But yeah Solomon island is the entire first 3 zones, Kingsmouth is easy rhak. The old TSW got extremely hard by the time you got to the last half of the questing experience in the game, like...Blue Mountain (third zone) would start making you realize you had to strongly consider how you used your skills and how they interacted with one another, mostly regarding status effects. Then Egypt 1 would be kind of similarly hard still, egypt 2 would be harder, and finally in the 3 transylvania zones you would start coming accross shit that really made you realize that this game wasn't fucking around and you would STRONGLY need to alter your builds depending on the types of mobs you were fighting.

But that was all TSW

That was actually only in the beginning. They rebalanced everything at some point and made everything easy as fuck.

Really dissappointed with the dumbing down of the skill wheel in SWL.

That was actually only in the beginning. They rebalanced everything at some point and made everything easy as fuck.

They're just trying to make it more accessible to new players, and open up the game itself to more people. I eventually grew to love the psychotic wheel of powers, and had fun digging through it to find cool synergies and the like. Right now I'm just clicking through the trees and just seeing where it takes me. I figured it I max out Pistols and Elemental I'll have enough stuff unlocked to come up with a half decent build.

I never got to do any of the Raids in TSW, never really had the groups for it, but I think I'll finally get the chance to do them now. The dungeons were a lot of fun for sure.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Does anyone have any experience with the account recovery system? I used to have an account when the original game launched. I've tried accessing it, but the password isn't working. I know the username is correct, because I tried to create a new account and that username is already in use.

I've tried using the password recovery option, but I never got the e-mail. Anyone else went through this?

TheYanger

Is not really dumbed down, the old system was fun for some but not most and in the end it really was just a way to make your character shitty instead of powerful. The new setup is a lot better

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Some spectactular download speeds atm. A whole 30kB/sec

Edit: JESUS CHRIST IT'S BEEN LIKE THIS FOR OVER AN HOUR!?

BizzyBum

Broken auction house, long maintenance, 30 minutes to download a 60MB patch, and now can't even create my character.

Great first impression, FunCom.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Broken auction house, long maintenance, 30 minutes to download a 60MB patch, and now can't even create my character.

Great first impression, FunCom.

If it says "Can't create character in this dimension" just keep clicking, worked for me last night

Edit: 2 minutes to go!" Almost taken me 40 minutes to download a patch that should've taken less than a minute lol.

Edit #2: Thank GOD the RDB Hash Database whatever download was full speed, that was 30 whole megabytes, could've taken me a solid 20 minutes! I feel I've been complaining more than playing the game lol. Let's hope I can even log in ;) FakeEdit: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. "Please check your connection or firewall". Please.

Edit#3: After minutes of trying, it's finally (slowly) loading the character list. Aaaand, in!

Ascheroth

You know what's annoying? That the game doesn't want to save my outfit and resets to default every time I switch zones *grumble*

You know what's annoying? That the game doesn't want to save my outfit and resets to default every time I switch zones *grumble*

It keeps taking off my glasses for cutscenes.

Damnit, now I can't see who I'm talking to!

Otherwise I haven't had any issues. I got my stuff transferred over without any problems. I miss my old Illuminati Outfits, but we'll see what happens there.

derFeef

Is there a way to skip the tutorial? I know you could in TSW if you are in the subway but can you actually here before?

demented

I've been running pistol shotgun (gunslinger) and I like it but I'm not sure it's the "best", I kinda just want to have easiest time leveling, maybe do some dungeons and no real plans for endgame stuff, should I stick with this or change to something else? I started upgrading them a bit but don't want to keep wasting money on that if I'll switch.
Pistol is nice, aoes stuff and shotgun for when they get close or single target but still no idea which abilities and passives to pick...

phant0m

Tried this out this past weekend, and it's sorely a 2011 game in a 2017 coat. The animations and UI are so unpolished, and it seems to have a real lack of content compared to what else is on the market. I'm also waaaaaay over zombies (though maybe that's just the first area?). It probably doesn't help I also started BDO this weekend (trying to decide which one to stick with), but BDO had a fit and finish to it that SWL just can't hold a candle to.

Shame, because SWL has a much more interesting premise and backstory, but the gameplay in the first 2-3 hours just wasn't there for me.

Tried this out this past weekend, and it's sorely a 2011 game in a 2017 coat. The animations and UI are so unpolished, and it seems to have a real lack of content compared to what else is on the market. I'm also waaaaaay over zombies (though maybe that's just the first area?). It probably doesn't help I also started BDO this weekend (trying to decide which one to stick with), but BDO had a fit and finish to it that SWL just can't hold a candle to.

Shame, because SWL has a much more interesting premise and backstory, but the gameplay in the first 2-3 hours just wasn't there for me.

Yeah, I will never make apologies for the combat and animations. But what really makes the game is the storylines, the voice acting, and the writing. The writing is really really good, and has some truly excellent moments. The world is dark and interesting, and genuinely easy to get involved in.

But yeah, combat isn't very pretty.

TheYanger

You haven't left the first area, complain about content and zombies? Game has a ton of content, and always had fantastic dungeons. There are like 8 areas so no kingsmouth is not indicative of what you're going to see in transylvania for example

Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. I'm a big sucker for great storytelling and writing so naturally The Secret World stuck out for me and eventually became my main MMO. I also dabbled a bit in Black Desert but despite its fancy graphics and solid combat it s personality never managed to convince me. It also doesn't help that the game is written with Google Translate and that there are close to zero customisation options.

BizzyBum

I dunno man, I think this is a low key great game. I did play this when it originally launched but didn't get far. Played about 5-6 hours today and the tin foil hat conspiracy world mixed with surprisingly stellar voiceovers and writing make this really great.

Yeah the game is still full of jank but it's still a 2012 game at its core. I'm not sure how end game holds up (I think I read that's where the original fell apart) but I can see myself playing just to experience the story and it seems it would have lots of replay value by doing all 3 factions.

Mithos

You haven't left the first area, complain about content and zombies? Game has a ton of content, and always had fantastic dungeons. There are like 8 areas so no kingsmouth is not indicative of what you're going to see in transylvania for example

Yeah, I think I spent my 2 first weeks in Kingsmouth Town & South Coast before I moved on and even then you go back now and then (old TSW)

London is still very stuttery, much like the beta. Original game ran perfectly fine for me there.

Also, is there a way to prevent the game from switching back to reticule mode if you press any movement buttons while in cursor mode? Very annoying change.

Oh, and the official site shows me as a non-patron, despite it also saying I have an active membership.

Stiler

I don't get the point of limited dungeons.

Why is this even a trend in some modern mmo's?

If someone wants to run a dungeon over and over like you used to easily be able to do then it should be their choice.

derFeef

If someone wants to run a dungeon over and over like you used to easily be able to do then it should be their choice.

Hell it was all I did in Anarchy Online. Go to mission terminal, start mission helper tool to find what you need. Run mission.
Go to mission terminal...

You can run it over and over again but you can only pick up loot from the first 18 bosses

lol

My only wish for this is true controller support like ESO...Would be glorious.

I've set up an xpadder profile and it works surprisingly well. Only problem I can see for SWL is that it's incompatible with entering passwords and when doing text adventures.

You can run it over and over again but you can only pick up loot from the first 18 bosses

lol

I've set up an xpadder profile and it works surprisingly well. Only problem I can see for SWL is that it's incompatible with entering passwords and when doing text adventures.

By 'loot' you mean tons of toothpaste tubes of distilled stuff I can't even drink.

Oh my god, when you hit 15 it starts dropping those 'Loot Crates' like the Black Lion Chests in Guild Wars 2. Except they drop every other kill and now I have a metric fuckton of them. Those are getting vendor'd.

Ascheroth

I do not understand this. I was dreading going home to have the world's slowest patch yesterday, then I went home and it downloaded in about 45 seconds.
You're lucky, I guess.

Anyway, is there a way to not display missions you already completed on the minimap?
Edit: Forget it, I just realized they are colored grey, which works. :p

I downloaded this over night and finally got a chance to play a few hours ago, decided to roll trickster as it had the fewest skulls (is this an inclination to skill level required to play?) and the spells/attacks seemed pretty meh.

Does anyone have a recommendation for class to try out first?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone else getting worse performance in Legends than in Vanilla? like a good 15-20 FPS lower on average

Menome

Anyone else getting worse performance in Legends than in Vanilla? like a good 15-20 FPS lower on average

It's been dreadful in parts for me in the early-game, and I'm two graphics card upgrades up from when I last played back in 2014.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can play for a couple of hours and have enough skill points for a full action-bar.

he asked if the monitization was scummy, and I anwsered, in fact, I didnt even say if I thought that was scummy or not, I left it up to him (for the record, I think its SUPER scummy). I didnt say you couldnt get skill points yourself.

Top Bottom