• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret World Legends |OT| The Return of Cthulhu ft. Soviet Space Vampires

BTA

So, a couple questions I'm hoping that can be answered here since they're not clear to me:

1. I own TSW on Steam but have never played. Does that get me anything in this new version? I'm assuming I might have some 30 free days of subscription thing that'd carry over to get me bonuses for the first month...?

2. The Path gives you items in TSW, right? If I were to get around to playing that, would that still give me those items? Would I have to make an original account, redeem them, and then transfer them over or something?

Reposting my question from the original thread; I now know about weapons/slots for the first question at least.

these investigation quests are absolutely bonkers. bananas. crazytown shit. what the fuck?

Haha, those quests are the reason I loved TSW so much. Such a novel experience in an mmo where quests are usually go here and kill x things, or find n macguffins.

That and the deck building from the ability wheel. The loss of the passive synergies is my greatest complaint with SWL.

So, a couple questions I'm hoping that can be answered here since they're not clear to me:

1. I own TSW on Steam but have never played. Does that get me anything in this new version? I'm assuming I might have some 30 free days of subscription thing that'd carry over to get me bonuses for the first month...?

2. The Path gives you items in TSW, right? If I were to get around to playing that, would that still give me those items? Would I have to make an original account, redeem them, and then transfer them over or something?

1. I suggest creating a character on TSW and play a minimal amount. After that, link your account to your new SWL account and you should receive some bonuses.

- 3 free character slots instead of 1
- all weapons unlocked from the start
- vanity items (if you have them)

2. The Park, yes. It provides endgame talismans which do not transfer over to SWL afaik. The Chipmunk killer costume does transfer over I think.

BTA

1. I suggest creating a character on TSW and play a minimal amount. After that, link your account to your new SWL account and you should receive some bonuses.

2. The Park, yes. It provides endgame talismans which do not transfer over to SWL afaik. The Chipmunk killer costume does transfer over I think.

Hah, I was thinking of The Path the other day so I know why it came to mind, but I still can't believe I made that switch, whoops.

So in theory what I want to do is: make a TSW account, run (I think I don't have to beat it now?) The Park and link my account for rewards, go back into TSW and redeem them, then I'm free to go into SWL?

Is there a known time limit on that? I'm not itching to dive in immediately, but I'll get that done ASAP if there is one.

Funcom mentioned something about August when they would stop with linking accounts.

So yeah first create your TSW account and get all your items on there and only then link up with SWL. All items you get on TSW after linking with SWL will not carry over.

demented

I had few characters but I didnt log in in a while to tsw, when i wanted to it updated to legends but now i can only make 1 new character :| i linked the accounts

demented

Just checked and I do, didn't yesterday but I see they changed it yesterday as well while I was redownloading (or waiting for downtime to end )

It'll be good to get the Cabal back together, only to descend into bickering and whatnot while trying to run dungeons.

Ahhh... the good ole' days. Never run a guild, it's like herding antisocial cats on meth.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
making some new chars to try out weapons, Made a punisher to try out Shotgun, and its fun... shotguns are always fun I guess. I dont care for Hammer tho. I dont like the grenade mechanic in rifle when I made a Merc (I had already kinda tried rifle on my warlock), guess Ill make a trickster to try out chaos. Now that I know chaos is more of a close combat thing, im thinking chaos / sword or something.

Really wish they didnt force the secondary weapons on you

making some new chars to try out weapons, Made a punisher to try out Shotgun, and its fun... shotguns are always fun I guess. I dont care for Hammer tho. I dont like the grenade mechanic in rifle when I made a Merc (I had already kinda tried rifle on my warlock), guess Ill make a trickster to try out chaos. Now that I know chaos is more of a close combat thing, im thinking chaos / sword or something.

Really wish they didnt force the secondary weapons on you

I haven't been able to dive into how the combat works now, but I plan on getting into it more tonight. But in the original Sword/Chaos had some great stuff, my brother's build was insane for that.

I'm running chaos/shotgun, works well for tanking and chaos has some good self-healing.

It seems to be:

Tank: Hammer, chaos, shotgun
Heal: Fists, blood, rifle
DPS: Pistol, blade, elemental

Only combat downside so far is that there are no more passive synergies from different weapon trees.

Ascheroth

I'm running chaos/shotgun, works well for tanking and chaos has some good self-healing.

It seems to be:

Tank: Hammer, chaos, shotgun
Heal: Fists, blood, rifle
DPS: Pistol, blade, elemental

Only combat downside so far is that there are no more passive synergies from different weapon trees.
So it appears I'm playing Heal/Tank and things drop like flies regardless : P

Ascheroth

Wait for Blue Mountain :D
Welp, that sounds ominous ¬_¬
I hope my Blood/Chaos build stays solo-viable throughout. I really don't give a shit about the combat in this game, sorry. I don't like MMO combat in general, but TSW has that awesome setting, writing and questing.

Stiler

Is there a Gaf guild?

I went with Templar, seems like most of us have went Templar as well from what I've read.

Wait for Blue Mountain :D

Yeah, that's accurate. Blue Mountain is where builds get tested.

I used to run a rolling crit Gunslinger with Pistols/Elem and could dish out some ludicrous damage when I got up to speed. The problem was I pulled aggro like a Trump Supporter. My brother tended to tank, so I might have pulled more aggro then necessary to make his life difficult.

It's my brother, don't judge me.

I'm looking forward to grinding through, even if it is just because of how much I miss Kingsmouth. Honestly the best zone I have ever dealt with in an MMO... everything is perfectly creepy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, that's accurate. Blue Mountain is where builds get tested.

I used to run a rolling crit Gunslinger with Pistols/Elem and could dish out some ludicrous damage when I got up to speed. The problem was I pulled aggro like a Trump Supporter. My brother tended to tank, so I might have pulled more aggro then necessary to make his life difficult.

It's my brother, don't judge me.

I'm looking forward to grinding through, even if it is just because of how much I miss Kingsmouth. Honestly the best zone I have ever dealt with in an MMO... everything is perfectly creepy.

but Kingsmouth is awful compared to Savage Coast? :eek:

Anyway, Chaos is cool but dmg seems quite low at first, seems like its very dependant on proccing the special effect, since there's a lot of passives and shit that make that chance higher. Hell my highest dps skill is by far...the gun skill from the secondary >_>

The problem is doing this fucking zone again tho, since my Warlock is like 22 in Savage Coast. Really wish you could respec :/

Just invest your AP/SP in a new skill tree? You can redo some missions if you need more XP. I don't recommend creating a new character.

Also Kingsmouth is a bit slow but that's partly why I love it so much. You are gradually introduced to various factions (Orochi, Morninglight, Phoenicians, Illuminati). It gets even better on second playthroughs when you start understanding all parts of the story.

TheYanger

Blue Mountain certainly USED to be where the game got hard/showed you how builds really worked. idk about now. But yeah Solomon island is the entire first 3 zones, Kingsmouth is easy rhak. The old TSW got extremely hard by the time you got to the last half of the questing experience in the game, like...Blue Mountain (third zone) would start making you realize you had to strongly consider how you used your skills and how they interacted with one another, mostly regarding status effects. Then Egypt 1 would be kind of similarly hard still, egypt 2 would be harder, and finally in the 3 transylvania zones you would start coming accross shit that really made you realize that this game wasn't fucking around and you would STRONGLY need to alter your builds depending on the types of mobs you were fighting.

But that was all TSW, SWL I have no idea how hard it gets, but the changes they've made SHOULD make it a little more forgiving in terms of being able to use any weapon fromw hat I can tell.

Also Chaos is fantastic, but I use my secondary all the time too, I find it exceptionally easy to run out of primary energy, and the secondary spenders do much more than primary non-spenders.

Rhaknar

where did I mention difficulty? I said its awful because its zombie apocalypse bullshit, and then merman... hooray >_>

Savage Coast is much more up my alley, and where it gets genuilly creepy imo.

Blue Mountain certainly USED to be where the game got hard/showed you how builds really worked. idk about now. But yeah Solomon island is the entire first 3 zones, Kingsmouth is easy rhak. The old TSW got extremely hard by the time you got to the last half of the questing experience in the game, like...Blue Mountain (third zone) would start making you realize you had to strongly consider how you used your skills and how they interacted with one another, mostly regarding status effects. Then Egypt 1 would be kind of similarly hard still, egypt 2 would be harder, and finally in the 3 transylvania zones you would start coming accross shit that really made you realize that this game wasn't fucking around and you would STRONGLY need to alter your builds depending on the types of mobs you were fighting.

But that was all TSW, SWL I have no idea how hard it gets, but the changes they've made SHOULD make it a little more forgiving in terms of being able to use any weapon fromw hat I can tell.

Also Chaos is fantastic, but I use my secondary all the time too, I find it exceptionally easy to run out of primary energy, and the secondary spenders do much more than primary non-spenders.

god those Nightmare Zones in Transylvania kill me plz

also can't wait to go for the unseen achievement in The Cost of Magic, what a time to be alive

but Kingsmouth is awful compared to Savage Coast? :eek:

Anyway, Chaos is cool but dmg seems quite low at first, seems like its very dependant on proccing the special effect, since there's a lot of passives and shit that make that chance higher. Hell my highest dps skill is by far...the gun skill from the secondary >_>

The problem is doing this fucking zone again tho, since my Warlock is like 22 in Savage Coast. Really wish you could respec :/

I view Kingsmouth/Savage Coast/Blue Mountain as one big chunk of zones, and I love all of them. I love the zombies, the ghosts, the deep ones... all of it is just perfect New England fuckery of fog and seeping terror.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So uh, what's going on with the transfer stuff? I must've done it properly, because I have 3 character slots, but the weapon pages aren't unlocked, plus my clothes and pets didn't carry over

wat do?

Ascheroth

So uh, what's going on with the transfer stuff? I must've done it properly, because I have 3 character slots, but the weapon pages aren't unlocked, plus my clothes and pets didn't carry over

wat do?
Upper-left menu -> Daily Deliveries or how it's called -> claim vanity items

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Right right, gotcha. Didn't have a lot of clothing items, but unlocking all the weapon slots + a bunch of class outfits at once was nice.

derFeef

So Steam has not patched it to Legends yet? I am confused. I started the DL fresh out of the Steam store (which lists it as Legends) and it still is the "old" TSW in my Library. I might go non-Steam but it would be convenient...

So Steam has not patched it to Legends yet? I am confused. I started the DL fresh out of the Steam store (which lists it as Legends) and it still is the "old" TSW in my Library. I might go non-Steam but it would be convenient...

From what I understand there is two different versions now. You have the original TSW, and then you have Legends.

The Original is done, and Legends will be updated and modified as the 'go to' game from now on. I just downloaded the launcher straight from their website rather than going through Steam.

Menome

I loaded up my Classic TSW character this morning to note down my skills from four years ago, and I was reminded of what a great set-up I had. Getting Critical Hits to cause Afflictions, which in turn upped my damage and Critical Hit rate. I only had two ranged combat skills because that was all I needed.

Rhaknar

I havent tried them because, well, APs are in short supply early on, but looking at both the shotgun and the chao trees, it seems the coolest spells are in the fucking tank tier lol :(

edit: Are pistols the highest dps at early game or something? That skill you get as a secondary on the trickster does stupid damage, and its just one skill on a secondary

I tried to launch TSW to get some clothes and it's saying I need 47 gigs of free space to update ... wtf. Does that update include the new SWL? Updating from steam.

derFeef

I tried to launch TSW to get some clothes and it's saying I need 47 gigs of free space to update ... wtf. Does that update include the new SWL? Updating from steam.

No idea. I can't get Steam to "switch" to Legends, but it also updated TSW and it still was the regular TSW and not Legends. Not installing Legends outside of Steam. Confusing...

I really hope Funcom will make adjustments to the current f2p model. Being restricted to 3 dungeons a day as a patron is complete bonkers. It feels like the current game is rewarding for short playing sessions only. Collect your daily login reward, do your daily missions (only way to gain MoF) and use your daily dungeon keys.

Also the RNG on dungeon keys and caches seems pretty bad.

Carcetti

So with an old TSW account the order of things to do is:
1. make new Legends account
2. Somehow merge them

Is that accurate?

Can't wait to bring back the ol' Rifle/Blood I used to wreck Kaidan with.

Rhaknar

So with an old TSW account the order of things to do is:
1. make new Legends account
2. Somehow merge them

Is that accurate?

Can't wait to bring back the ol' Rifle/Blood I used to wreck Kaidan with.

you dont make a new one, you just log in and in the account page select the transfer option

Carcetti

Ah, nice!

Got the account managed in the webpage but now...

Steam apparently installs old TSW instead of Legends for me even if I use the Legends store page to play now :s

I really hope Funcom will make adjustments to the current f2p model. Being restricted to 3 dungeons a day as a patron is complete bonkers. It feels like the current game is rewarding for short playing sessions only. Collect your daily login reward, do your daily missions (only way to gain MoF) and use your daily dungeon keys.

Also the RNG on dungeon keys and caches seems pretty bad.

I did one and a half Polaris runs since I had leftover keys for the night before going to bed, all I got was Distilled stuff. Same with my brother and same with my wife, who are both Patrons and have more keys than I do.

The RNG system is bad, and the timers are rather brutal on rerunning missions for non-patrons. Part of the reason I didn't mind hanging out in Kingsmouth and helping my newbie friends when they joined in was because I could still pick up the missions and replay them with them, so unless I want to pony up that's not happening. It is tempting to be a Patron, if only for a little bit, but the rewards seem rather lackluster.

I think a Patron gets more credits, and more keys? That's it? I'll have to go look it up.

Mithos

These daily login rewards and daily challenges is going to steal so much time, I hate it :p
SWL, TERA, BDO all do dailies :'/

These daily login rewards and daily challenges is going to steal so much time, I hate it :p
SWL, TERA, BDO all do dailies :'/

Dailies really help for players who are at endgame. Less useful for a lot of the newbies, at least in most of the games. TSW's I had done in no time though, didn't take long at all.

Mithos

Dailies really help for players who are at endgame. Less useful for a lot of the newbies, at least in most of the games. TSW's I had done in no time though, didn't take long at all.

I know TSW, maxed out 100% of all wheels there, hade tank/dps/healing gear all 10.4+
Thing is, free is good and I'm addicted when it comes to free stuff in mmo's I play ;p

I know TSW, maxed out 100% of all wheels there, hade tank/dps/healing gear all 10.4+
Thing is, free is good and I'm addicted when it comes to free stuff in mmo's I play ;p

Likewise, though I didn't have a full set of maxed out gear when I stopped. But it continues to be one of my favorite MMO's of all time. I just wish the proper faction gear switched over, not just the generic outfits. I liked my Gunslinger and my Mercenary Illuminati gear.

Top Bottom