• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret World Legends |OT| The Return of Cthulhu ft. Soviet Space Vampires

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can I link the newly created account with the Steam version when it releases?

I assume it will use the same one or il be pissed.

Some more quick thoughts now that im level 10 and have been fucking around in solomon island:

- Yeah this is deffinately easier. Like, a lot, compared to OG TSW launch years ago (maybe not so much compared to the last few years, apparently it had already been nerfed). I used to struggle with fighting packs and accidentaly pulling another mob would mean death, now its just a normal mmo in that sense. I like it, but I can see more hardcore people being turned off by that. But for me, youre supposed to be a badass magic using guy or gal in this "secret world" of monsters, and you cant take on 3 zombies? Please. I'd rather be OP (much like with a superhero game I guess).

- Spells seem much flashier, which im a big fan of. There's deffinately some "pazzaz" now, I love seeing the huge AOE effect of the blood spell, and the magus has some flashy stuff aswell.

- Story quests, or big sidequests with cut scenes and stuff are great, fetch quests and other similar ones are terrible. I kinda just want to do the big ones but im a ocd completionist unfortunately. Also, I aplaud the idea of investigation quests, but they are completely negated by...google. Like any other game. Of course you can choose NOT to use it but....well yeah lol. The game will actually tell you to use sources outside the game sometimes, but I guess thats not what they meant :p

- Combat still feels janky as fuuuuuuuuuck. Its stangely laggy, floaty, most stuff doesnt have much impact.

- Aquiring AP and SP points isnt as bad as it seemed at first, still seems a bit slow tho, especially because you cant refund them (or can you?) and you dont know what spells do until you try them. I still have zero interest in using the secondary weapon stuff :(

- The new skill trees are good, I like how it splits passives and actives, and how there are passives for each skill. I hated the wheel tho so, take that for what it is.

- These zones are big and have a lot of fucking quests.

So, yeah... I dunno man (lol). I still dunno. I'm kinda having fun? The modern setting certainly makes it different, and I imagine that you can play every episode for free now (in fact the SW ultimate edition is now gone from steam) so that is A LOT of story content for free. I take it new players will probably enjoy it more than veterans. I'm not sure how much more i'll play when the necromancer is out next week, but for now Im having fun. Kinda...sorta :p

edit: oh I forgot, I hate how you can repeat main quests, that shit makes no sense to me, especially as a completionist. I hope they dont show up on the map after the first time, I actually think the map does a great job of showing where you can get quests.

Also, it still makes NO FUCKING SENSE how you can only have a limited number of quests in your log, I hate that system.

Li Kao

Can someone tell me if there is any benefit from doing a legacy transfer if I never really played the original, meaning I had nothing special unlocked. I read that it unlock all weapons, what does it mean exactly ? Are weapons now purchasable with real money ?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can someone tell me if there is any benefit from doing a legacy transfer if I never really played the original, meaning I had nothing special unlocked. I read that it unlock all weapons, what does it mean exactly ? Are weapons now purchasable with real money ?

Weapons are unlocked with real money or ingame currency, alot of ingame currency from what ive seen.

You also get 3 character slots instead of just one.

Li Kao

Weapons are unlocked with real money or ingame currency, alot of ingame currency from what ive seen.

Weapons I would maybe have hesitated due to a misplaced sense of cheating, but character slots ? Deal.
Thank you for the quick answer Rhak !

Inspector Q

The thing that's strange is that Age of Conan is an even older game made by Funcom and that game had some really decent combat animations. The combo attacks all looked pretty neat and the fatalities were pretty nicely animated. So not sure what happened with TSW.

AoC also had much better combat sounds that added to the impact of each attack and fatality. TSW seems to have taken a step back in this regard as well for whatever reason. I don't know, everything just lacks impact, in my opinion. Kind of disappointing.

The idea behind the game's world and it taking place during a modern day setting is really intriguing, though. And they did put a lot of effort into all these animated quest cutscenes. Unfortunately, that brings me to my next gripe...the fact that your main character is a mute statue during all these cutscenes bothers me. All these NPCs go on these really long monologues while your character just stands there looking like a fool, lol. I had the same problem when I played the Division beta and that kind of completely turned me off of the game.

So yeah, the above issues were my main gripes with the original TSW and from the little I just played they seem to be the same in the new version. Obviously, they would never redo all the quest cutscenes, so I knew that would still be bothersome, but I was hoping for combat that looked and felt better. Alas, it still looks and feels quite similar.

Anyway, these issues probably won't bother a lot of people. So hopefully others can get some enjoyment out of the intriguing world that Funcom came up with.

Rhaknar

Lack of impact isnt just you mate, I think its a general consensus, and it hasn't changed with the new system.

The game is still as janky as ever, but if all episodes are indeed free now, its hard to hate on that since...well its free.

cj_iwakura

PSA: if you're trying to run TSW vanilla, Funcom are forcing it to update to SWL.

Be careful. This fix saved me, thankfully:
Alternate approach to fix your TSW installation after an interupted SWL patch of TSW:
1. Goto TSW account page and download the TSW game installer
2. Run, choose custom installation and install to a new folder
3. Close the patcher
4. Move or copy the RDB folder of your original TSW installation into the new folder
5. Run the patcher in the new TSW folder
6. The patcher will now revert back all updates the SWL patcher made to the RDBs
7. Play TSW

Depending on how far the SWL patcher got before you aborted it, this is a lot faster then redownloading the entire TSW client.
(about 30 minutes for me after the SWL patcher downloaded about 1GB)

Li Kao

Lol, OCD question as I'm unable to play now and just thought about it, is the opening cutscene still partly unsubbed ? I seems to remember something strange with the vanilla game.
IIRC the first version of the opening was fully subbed but the second version left the radio talk out.

As a player that would really appreciate to play English subbed, this is interesting. But very OCD, you had been warned ^_^

anothertech

- Spells seem much flashier, which im a big fan of. There's deffinately some "pazzaz" now, I love seeing the huge AOE effect of the blood spell, and the magus has some flashy stuff aswell.

- Combat still feels janky as fuuuuuuuuuck. Its stangely laggy, floaty, most stuff doesnt have much impact.

Also, it still makes NO FUCKING SENSE how you can only have a limited number of quests in your log, I hate that system.
Dammmiiiitttttt!!!! The one thing that needed fixing I. This game. Literally everything else was great. Bugs be damned-

I mean the story, setting, missions are all so good. WHH TGE HELL must the game be plagued with sht character models and suck ass combat/animations??

Stiler

How do you claim items from TSW?

I Think that the transfer worked because in SW:L I have three character slots open.

However I don't see anything in my inventory an dif I type the /delivereditems into chat like what was said on the previous page I get no pop up or anything.

I know I had some special clothing items from events and other things in TSW.

Rhaknar

How do you claim items from TSW?

I Think that the transfer worked because in SW:L I have three character slots open.

However I don't see anything in my inventory an dif I type the /delivereditems into chat like what was said on the previous page I get no pop up or anything.

I know I had some special clothing items from events and other things in TSW.

Upper left Menu, deliver claim items or somethig

Scirrocco

Hmm. I started the game, logged in for a bit but i'm can't seem to find how to transfer my character. The instructions show it being on the account page of secretworldlegends, but i'm not seeing it. Any suggestions on what i'm doing wrong?

Also, a small tip for new players. Choose a piece of clothing you like for all slots. YOu can take them off later if you want, but if you don't get them at start you'll have to buy them again.

Rhaknar

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I take it it's quests like this every now and then why the game is so special for the hardcore fans?

because holy shit o_O

I would never figure that shit out btw, I had to follow the guide.

The quest is called Something Wicked, and there are spoilers in that link obviously.

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I take it it's quests like this every now and then why the game is so special for the hardcore fans?

because holy shit o_O

The quest is called Something Wicked, and there are spoilers in that link obviously.

Yep. You will find quests that good often.

Ascheroth

Sooo, I'm level 10 now, couple impressions:

- Started as a mage (Elemental/Chaos) but ditched the former and went Blood/Chaos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Which brings me to the first point: Unlocking weapons with ingame currency seems fairy expensive and a lot of work. Thank god I played the former version and got them all for free.

- Not sure what to think about the pseudo-detective vision for the 'follow the trail of x' quests. Sure, it's harder to overlook something and get lost for a few minutes, but I really liked how the old version only used its environment design/object placement to lead you. Eh :/

- Progression is decently fast. Feels like the old version. Enemies barely give any XP at all, but quests quite a bit like always and you get multiple points per level, like always.

- It is really easy. I was playing until level 8 without spending a single point or changng/upgrading any equipment and was just cruising along. Which I don't really mind because it also means things die faster which means spending less time in combat which is much appreciated.

- Combat is flashier and the weapon gimmicks are... well, they're something. I didn't really like the heat-management of Elemental Magic, but Chaos is pretty neat. Haven't played enough with Blood yet to say how I feel about it.
I still don't really care about it, but again, so far it's been really easy and faster then the old version.

because holy shit o_O

That's an amazing quest. I remember spending an entire evening on that one, haha. It also continues in the dungeons Hell Raised, Hell Eternal and Hell Fallen.

edit: I misremembered, this is not the Theodore Wicker quest :p

Rhaknar

healed my first dungeon as blood (with 1 rifle skill I guess but I never used it meh), that was...ok? There wasnt much dmg going around.

Is there no way to quickly change your defensive target? because alting to get the mouse to click the party memeber and then doing something to drop the mouse and THEN do a skill is not... ideal.

Surely there is a key to just alternate your party members no?

Also I need to be able to change my skill loadout, so I can go from a dps spec to a heal spec, im lvl 12 can I do that yet?

Menome

Okay, so I clicked the link in my email to go to The Secret World Legends page. I enter my account details from the original TSW, but it doesn't recognise them. I go to create a new account, and it's saying that the username is already taken, which I presume is it detecting my TSW account?

How on earth do I get in from here then?

Scirrocco

Okay, so I clicked the link in my email to go to The Secret World Legends page. I enter my account details from the original TSW, but it doesn't recognise them. I go to create a new account, and it's saying that the username is already taken, which I presume is it detecting my TSW account?

Same issue here. It won't accept my old info. I haven't played in a while, maybe that has something to do with it. I alreadyy created a new account, hope I haven't screwed myself.

Another possible issue is, had an account with age of Conan. I have to log in with that user ID. Even if I recover the password for the tsw I'd, it still won't let me long in with that ID.

Amneisac

When you say it doesn't recognize your account details, do you mean username and password or just username? I did the forgot password and it sent me an email and I made a new password.

Menome

When you say it doesn't recognize your account details, do you mean username and password or just username? I did the forgot password and it sent me an email and I made a new password.

It says 'Authentication failure'. Did the password-reset and can log into my old TSW account online just fine. It just won't let me in on Legends.

Rhaknar

is this the dev that made these investigation quests?

source.gif

Altairre

is this the dev that made these investigation quests?

I did solve a couple of them on my own in the original game but yeah, some of them are just fucking nuts. There's one where you have to use the correct emotes while standing in front of a bunch of statues and I would have definitely not figured that one out ever. Even reading the solutions was fun though.

Rhaknar

I did solve a couple of them on my own in the original game but yeah, some of them are just fucking nuts. There's one where you have to use the correct emotes while standing in front of a bunch of statues and I would have definitely not figured that one out ever. Even reading the solutions was fun though.

im not even trying to solve them and im having a blast just following the solutions tbh lol

Won

Considering jumping before the Steam release after all. But I can neither decide on a faction nor if I go with a female character this time around. Kinda feel I should mix things up, but on the other side I really liked my Dragon dude. MMO problems.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ah, too bad. The current game just feels super clunky, laggy and dated.

I never felt vanilla was laggy, maybe Euro servers are better in that regard? Performance wise it's quite a step above Guild Wars 2, while simultaneously looking better in some respects and worse in others. Both kinda pale in comparison to FF14 though, that game looks *great* and runs fantastic even on my weak FX6300

Considering jumping before the Steam release after all. But I can neither decide on a faction nor if I go with a female character this time around. Kinda feel I should mix things up, but on the other side I really liked my Dragon dude. MMO problems.

The Templar Uniform looks super cool on a female character, just sayin' :p

It says 'Authentication failure'. Did the password-reset and can log into my old TSW account online just fine. It just won't let me in on Legends.

Did you link your TSW account with TSL yet? The email I got gave me the impression the beta's only open for players of TSW as of now and won't be fully public until the Steam launch, so could be something like it doesn't recognize your TSL account having access to the beta yet?

Templar:
- best faction hub

Illuminati
- best handler

Dragon
-blowjobs

Altairre

Menome

Did you link your TSW account with TSL yet? The email I got gave me the impression the beta's only open for players of TSW as of now and won't be fully public until the Steam launch, so could be something like it doesn't recognize your TSL account having access to the beta yet?

You can't link it until you get to the Account page. Going to have some lunch, try another password-reset and see if that helps.

mAcOdIn

The idea behind the game's world and it taking place during a modern day setting is really intriguing, though. And they did put a lot of effort into all these animated quest cutscenes. Unfortunately, that brings me to my next gripe...the fact that your main character is a mute statue during all these cutscenes bothers me. All these NPCs go on these really long monologues while your character just stands there looking like a fool, lol. I had the same problem when I played the Division beta and that kind of completely turned me off of the game.
This is why I stopped playing. For all the praise the game gets for its' writing I can't help but feel it's actually too overwritten, everyone's a fucking poet. And like you said, the conversations are so one-sided. I think the fact that it's present day is what really drives home the fact that this is just not how ordinary people talk and it really pulls me out of the setting, this just isn't how people of this era would really converse with you.

Won

Templar:
- best faction hub

Illuminati
- best handler

Dragon
-blowjobs

Blowjobs is why I quit Illuminati and went Dragon my first time around. I found that somehow appealing.

I ended up really enjoying the writing of the Dragon faction, and how they look down on everyone else. Gonna miss that.

No need to hurry I guess. With 3 character slots I can give them all a spin again anyway.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You can't link it until you get to the Account page. Going to have some lunch, try another password-reset and see if that helps.

Ah, right, did it back when Legends was announced so I didn't remember the details, hope it sorts itself out for ya

Hahaha, I remember that one. It's fucking bullshit.

I rolled a Templar this time because my character in the original game was Illuminati. Already miss Kirsten Geary and the mission reports.

It's cool, Templars have Dame Julia, who's awesome.

This is why I stopped playing. For all the praise the game gets for its' writing I can't help but feel it's actually too overwritten, everyone's a fucking poet. And like you said, the conversations are so one-sided. I think the fact that it's present day is what really drives home the fact that this is just not how ordinary people talk and it really pulls me out of the setting, this just isn't how people of this era would really converse with you.

That's a clear choice in style. I really like the extravagant writing with the long, dramatic character monologues. It provides the game with a very unique style, something that a lot of games lack. Not only that, it also allows characters to infuse their dramatic speeches with heavier, philosophical themes. To me that's a lot more interesting than the usual quest dialogue in MMO's.

For me The Secret World is one of the best written games out there and I like making the comparison with The Witcher 3. One is a great example of very extravagant and heavy writing, the other is very good at more grounded and realistic writing.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Templar:
- best faction hub

Illuminati
- best handler

Dragon
-blowjobs

Was Templar and Illuminati originally. Last year decided to play through the entire games story again as Dragon. It feels so odd that you get almost no time with your handler the entire game unlike the other faction.. but then Kaidan comes along and makes it worth it. Also i like how wtf their mission complete messages are.

PaulLFC

I saw on the SWL website FAQ that the original would effectively exist alongside SWL and still be playable - I bought it in the last sale but didn't play much.

If I were to do the transfer to SWL, does that stop me playing the original TSW, or just mean that I need to start over in TSW with a new character?

Apologies for the dumb question!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I saw on the SWL website FAQ that the original would effectively exist alongside SWL and still be playable - I bought it in the last sale but didn't play much.

If I were to do the transfer to SWL, does that stop me playing the original TSW, or just mean that I need to start over in TSW with a new character?

Apologies for the dumb question!

I think what's been said regarding transfers is that it only affects cosmetic items, so stuff like clothes and the like. So your old character should be fine? I'd download vanilla and check but I got slow internet

PaulLFC

I think what's been said regarding transfers is that it only affects cosmetic items, so stuff like clothes and the like. So your old character should be fine? I'd download vanilla and check but I got slow internet
Thanks - I barely played any of the original at all beyond creating a character, so I'm going to give the transfer a go - nothing to lose really.

Edit: Found some more information on the transfer here and you're correct:

Login details on existing TSW accounts remain unchanged, should you wish to log back onto TSW.

Ascheroth

I can do most of them without a guide but sometimes that also leads to frustration

https://i.gyazo.com/d584cb390b880b0ec46ac0966387fe4b.mp4
I figured that one out on my own. I still had to look up a guide because it never worked and I was right all along, it's just that bullshit.

Yeah, I kinda agree. Like, I enjoy it and it's miles above every other MMO, but it feels like even though all the side characters have their personalities and backstories and everything, everyone has the same 'voice'.

Top Bottom