• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega’s ‘Altered Beast,’ ‘Streets of Rage’ Games to Be Adapted for Film, TV

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/altered-beast-streets-of-rage-sega-movies-shows-1201933661/

Stories International has partnered with Circle of Confusion to produce adaptations of Sega’s video games “Altered Beast” and “Streets of Rage” for film and television.

Tomoya Suzuki, president and CEO of Stories International, will produce with Circle of Confusion partner Lawrence Mattis and Julian Rosenberg. Evan J. Cholfin, head of development and production, will executive produce the projects for Stories International — the production arm and joint venture of Sega Group and Hakuhodo DY Group.

Production-management company Circle of Confusion produces “Fear the Walking Dead,” “The Talking Dead,” “Powers,” “Outcast,” and “Dirk Gently.” Its recent films include “Spare Parts,” “American Ultra,” and “Mr. Right,” starring Sam Rockwell and Anna Kendrick.

Circle partner David Engel executive produced “Straight Outta Compton.”

Stories is producing film and television projects based on Sega game franchises, including “Shinobi” with Marc Platt, “Golden Axe,” “Virtua Fighter,” “The House of the Dead,” and “Crazy Taxi.” It said Monday that it is in the process of partnering with major studios, producers, and filmmakers to co-develop adaptations of these properties as English-language feature films and television series for worldwide release.

“These are some of the most well loved SEGA games, and we are thrilled to be working with Stories to adapt them into major film and television franchises,” Mattis said.

Suzuki, Stories, and Circle of Confusion are all repped by CAA.

Outrun

Sega has been partnered with Circle of Confusion for the last 2 decades...

Get Yuzo to score the project.

Synth

How do you make Streets of Rage work outside of the late 80s-early 90s ?

Make it like Gotham, with Axel, Blaze and Adam repeatedly getting called into the office for a bollocking regarding their methods, before eventually being all "fuck this then, we're out"... but some of their friends at the precinct still risk their jobs to help them on the sly.

EDIT: Technically beaten...

Give it a few years of a Trump presidency...

Yet another "announce the movie to gauge market reaction and see if we'll ACTUALLY do the movie or not" situation. If they can't get Uncharted/Bioshock off the ground, two highly critically acclaimed videogames, how on earth do they expect to get momentum behind two 25 year old titles with next to 0 current cultural capital?

It said Monday that it is in the process of partnering with major studios, producers, and filmmakers to co-develop adaptations of these properties as English-language feature films and television series for worldwide release.

They're nowhere near even pre-production yet. This is the corporate equivalent of George Lucas saying "I think I might like to make an American Graffiti sequel someday"

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Altered Beast is a pretty good game.

I'm happy to see more VF content always.

Meier

I am confident in saying nearly none, and almost certainly none at all, of these will ever actually see a release. Tons of entertainment properties get licensed and never made and video games in particular have a terrible strike rate.

Streets of Rage.

A buddycop movie along the lines of Rush Hour...

Ugh...

A movie along the lines of The Raid...

So in

Ps all these franchise ideas and no love whatsoever for Daytona USA

Camjo-Z

I swear I've heard this "news" at least twice before now. Sega hasn't even made new games in these series for years and I'm supposed to believe they're going to turn them into huge media franchises? Wake me when there's a trailer.

I swear I've heard this "news" at least twice before now. Sega hasn't even made new games in these series for years and I'm supposed to believe they're going to turn them into huge media franchises? Wake me when there's a trailer.

I think that its good as people may not associate them with games and not see them as a game adaptation. But as with you I have heard this a few times down the years.

Would rather have these be new games, but that's just me.
These are never going to get past initial stages of film/TV development, just like all of the other VG adaptations that get canned.

Shredderi

Or, just take those millions, and put them towards a new Streets of Rage game. Even if the game sucks I'll get a new Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack from it.

GooeyHeat

Yet another "announce the movie to gauge market reaction and see if we'll ACTUALLY do the movie or not" situation. If they can't get Uncharted/Bioshock off the ground, two highly critically acclaimed videogames, how on earth do they expect to get momentum behind two 25 year old titles with next to 0 current cultural capital?

They're nowhere near even pre-production yet. This is the corporate equivalent of George Lucas saying "I think I might like to make an American Graffiti sequel someday"
Yeah, I don't see it being worth taking any of these seriously until they have, say, a writer/director signed on.

...which, by the way, another old SEGA property does.

RENT A HERO IS MORE OBSCURE THAN ANYTHING IN OP WHY IS RENT A HERO GETTING A MOVIE WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY THE HOT TUB TIME MACHINE GUY HOW IS THAT NOT SOME SORT OF APRIL FOOL'S JOKE

Wut lol? Ok...sure. SoR I don't really care about unless they lean in to the near future pre-cyberpunk dystopia setting, but Altered Beast could be interesting. Really interested what they could do with Golden Axe and I honestly think Crazy Taxi could be fun if it was like directed by the Crank guys or had a Torque vibe.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Virtua Fighter?

They've never even bothered putting that story into the games so far.

Base it on the quest mode, made it about someone trying to beat people at the arcades in Virtua Fighter!

It would be like a remake of The Wizard.

I want a balls crazy adaptation of Streets of Rage, you have to keep the pure insanity of the games, I want the cops fighting a Freddy clone and a Dude with a boomerang. I want the cops throwing down Napalm in the middle of the road. I want a fight between Blaze and the twins. I want Cyborgs, and Tyrus playing Max. I want it all.

If not, don't bother.

Top Bottom