• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega’s ‘Altered Beast,’ ‘Streets of Rage’ Games to Be Adapted for Film, TV

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Streets of Rage better get Yuzo Koshiro back to do all the music. It wont' be a SoR property without some incredible synth scores.

Haunted

woah, timewarp

Double Dragon was a seminal moviegoing experience for me as a child. Robert Patrick, Alyssa Mylano, Mark Dacascos - all the hottest stars.

Outrun

I want a balls crazy adaptation of Streets of Rage, you have to keep the pure insanity of the games, I want the cops fighting a Freddy clone and a Dude with a boomerang. I want the cops throwing down Napalm in the middle of the road. I want a fight between Blaze and the twins. I want Cyborgs, and Tyrus playing Max. I want it all.

If not, don't bother.

Don't forget F-ing Shiva....

Synth

I'm looking at that recent Sega poll with the favourite IPs and characters in a whole new light now.

Should have voted Ulala.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
not enough people supported games like Fighting Force and The Bouncer. :/

but hey maybe with online being huge now for consoles....they might do better.

Doesn't help that both games were mediocre.

I was especially disappointed with The Bouncer after coming off of Tobal 2.

At last, Guardians of the Galaxy and 007 sensation Dave Bautista in Altered Beast.

fywSnD7.gif

Soodanim

Gold Member
If Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima aren't doing the music for Streets of Rage I'm not interested. Fuck it, just use the music from 1 and 2. Best ending music ever in 2.

In my head all of these would be better as animations, although they wouldn't sell as well.

Bebpo

Banned
Why do people ask questions like this

Nostalgia is immune to time

No, it's not. You release an Altered Beast movie out there and like 5 people under the age of 30 will have any idea what that is.

Why don't we make a Thexder movie at this rate?

oY8q7j.gif

Expecting a lot of nothing for awhile, but will be glad whenever something actually happens. Unless Altered Beast ends up as teen wolf drama or something.

pswii60

Altered Beast?!? Time for that franchise to RISE FROM ITS GRAVE!!!

I'm so in.
Ugh?! AB was always a bit rubbish. SoR on the other hand, bizarre why Sega hasn't done a sequel since Genesis. They could have reimagined it as a beat em up meets GTA, the prostitutes were their idea after all.

Okay here is how is how I see the plot for Altered Beast:

Brave Greek warrior is introduced, he's strong, brave, etc. Then he falls in battle and buried. Years later he is revived by the gods to save the land once again from an evil tyrant and his legion of monsters. He is given a gift from the gods to even the playing field, the ability to change into a monstrous form for greater power. Also the ability to collect the souls of the dead creatures to change into different creatures as well.

Ogodei

C'mon, at least go for Ecco the Dolphin or Jet Set Radio, something people would remember (Phantasy Star/PSO also, but that would be best set as an anime movie).

Edit: by "remember" i mean that the movie itself would stand out, not that these games are necessarily more memorable. Live-action movies of either of the listed franchises would be instantly forgettable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The only way Streets of Rage will get justice is if it's shot like an 80's show.

They are probably going to go the sci-fi Altered Beast from the reboot a few years back. Urgh, bullshit, if you as me. I'd love full fantasy Altered Beast, but that stuff wouldn't fly much nowadays. I always envisioned part-Conan, part-Beastmaster, and part-Krull(more-so bizarre imagery).

I see Neff sitting in a throne with his minions, sitting wickedly while he orders various monsters out to dispatch the heroes. Man, this could only be done right in the 80s, huh? Shame.

Streets of Rage, I can see happening sorta like a Westernized version of The Raid on the street and through various locations(well, similar to The Raid 2, I guess). Just keep it colorful (lots of neon lights and maybe an amusement park being one of the locations).

CamHostage

Yet another "announce the movie to gauge market reaction and see if we'll ACTUALLY do the movie or not" situation. If they can't get Uncharted/Bioshock off the ground, two highly critically acclaimed videogames, how on earth do they expect to get momentum behind two 25 year old titles with next to 0 current cultural capital?

I don't think either will ever get off the ground either (as Outrun pointed out, this is not a new relationship, and over the years SEGA has already announced intentions for movies of Crazy Taxi, Shinobi, a new House of the Dead, Virtua Fighter, Rent a Hero ... RENT a HERO?!)

That said, the cultural capital and currency of Bioshock and Uncharted seemed to be roadblocks in those projects. Everybody wanted to own the the properties, and nobody could put together a package that made everybody happy enough to settle their differences and go make the movie. Here, it's SEGA making a SEGA movie (Stories International is a subsidiary of SEGA, and although Circle of Confusion will probably be doing most of the heavy lifting, Stories has apparently actually made some production work in music videos and commercials and shorts over the years.) They have the reason to push it through above any other projects on the docket, they know how solid the brand is (or isn't) and how much leeway they have to produce it without interference, and they have the direct line to the brand holder to clear their ideas for franchise direction.

Still probably vapuloid, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked if I actually saw a SEGA movie in real life some day.

Everyone keeps mentioning Altered Beasts and Streets of Rage but they fucking mentioned Shinobi too D: and that's awesome.

You must have missed the April 2016 news. Shinobi: The Movie, 2019.

Whompa02

So you're saying I may finally get a chance to play a tie in videogame for the almost certainly guaranteed awful Streets of Rage movie adaptation?

hooray I guess...

I love the Streets of Rage IP, but can I just get a good SOR game and not a fucking movie to suck up the entire budget?

Okay here is how is how I see the plot for CW's Altered Beast:

Brave Greek warrior is introduced, he's strong, brave, etc. Then he falls in battle and buried. Years later he is revived during a construction job to save the city from an evil businessman and his legion of mobsters. He is given an injection from the evil corporation that ironically evens the playing field, giving him the ability to change into monstrous forms for greater power. Also he has quirky out of period humor with his hacker roommate and tenant who becomes love interest and is probably related to the bad guy.

FTFY
unfortunately

CamHostage

Damn, Hollywood really has run out of ideas...

Well, it's Japan's ideas, not Hollywood's. SEGA is throwing practically all of its franchise rights up in the air for anybody to grab and develop them. (I wish they'd do the same with the game rights, since they seem to be in no hurry to actually put these franchises back in action where they belong, but that's another story...) Whether anything will come of any of it, who knows, but that's a business SEGA is trying to get into, and although they are ancient and dusty brands at this point, most times an old brand still has more selling strength than a new one.

I advise folks to read up on Stories International real quick to understand the part SEGA has in bringing (or attempting to bring) these brands out of the mothballs. Here's a little bit of boilerplate:

http://www.stories-llc.com/news/stories-and-caa-team-up

Top Bottom