• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega’s ‘Altered Beast,’ ‘Streets of Rage’ Games to Be Adapted for Film, TV

dubc35

No, it's not. You release an Altered Beast movie out there and like 5 people under the age of 30 will have any idea what that is.

Why don't we make a Thexder movie at this rate?
I think a Thexder movie would be much easier and potentially more profitable than these given the love for mechs. Also fuck Thexder.

CamHostage

No, it's not. You release an Altered Beast movie out there and like 5 people under the age of 30 will have any idea what that is.

...Which probably worked in Westworld's favor, for example, because there wasn't as vocal a backlash of "Oh Hollywood, have you just totally run out of ideas?" that they were mining the vaults.

Stories International and SEGA being able to point to the financial success of Altered Beast in the past (even if it was decades ago) and the dedication of the SEGA fanbase, that all will be selling points when the companies are out there looking for investors. It's not going to be a sure thing, but it's a selling point in a way that a movie titled "Modified Monsters" about warrior he-men transforming into creatures to fist-fight zombies would just not have.

Once they actually make the movie, then they have to worry about actually getting the word out about the franchise all over again, because while they are relying on the name to ring some bells and generate some buzz, they cannot at all count on Altered Beast fans alone to show up and make them some money.

The trick is to get enough momentum going through convincing moneymen that you have the key to success that by the time you make the thing, you actually have the key in hand when you need it.

PSqueak

Banned
They should embrace the fact that previous HotD movies where shitty with no budget by making a grind house Overkill movie.

Streets of Rage could work as a series with a similar vibe to Luke Cage.

Synth

Not enough fan service for that.

I dunno....

ze6yW2w.jpg

I'd argue every Last Bronx character's attire is more justifiable than this.

Hmm...

Honestly, a Netflix Streets of Rage show could be really good if they got some decent names attached to it.

As for Altered Beast... Yeah, idk.

remz

Hmm. Streets of Rage could work as a movie. I feel like the Raid and the Raid 2 should be the model because the plot is sort of close (cops beat the fuck out of Mafia and climb up to their hq) the Raid 2 even had those whacky miniboss type characters

Synth

I was talking about The Warriors.

I think Last Bronx was already done for TV though with Ikebukoro West Gate Park.

takashi-grimace.jpg

I know you were talking about The Warriors... but follow the logic... if The Warriors doesn't have enough fanservice to be Last Bronx, but it can be Streets of Rage, then that implies Streets of Rage is less "fanservicey" than Last Bronx.

Why do you have to make this complicated ffs?

Also, what the hell is that?!?

There was an actual Last Bronx movie, but I've chose to ignore its existence here.

Izuna

Banned
I know you were talking about The Warriors... but follow the logic... if The Warriors doesn't have enough fanservice to be Last Bronx, but it can be Streets of Rage, than that implies Streets of Rage is less "fan servicey" than Last Bronx.

Why do you have to make this complicated ffs?

Also, what the hell is that?!?

There was an actual Last Bronx movie, but I've chose to ignore its existence here.

Oh, yeah I can understand that logic now.

IWGP is absolutely amazing (albeit its... lack of a real ending, which is a common problem from that director) -- MC was a drop-out who stupidly strong and floated between not really giving a shit about gang wars, and giving a shit when it affect his group of misfits.

That blond dude in that picture is like a mixture of Red Eye and Tetsuo or something. Crazy dude.

--

I bet you that Last Bronx movie has a ton of panties in it.

fakeedit: oh shit the whole movie is there? I have to watch this...

realedit: this is fucking awful

x4WEBF.gif

ahahahaha it has SFX from the game! It's like a low quality cosplay movie! It has like 10m fight scenes haha

Synth

Oh, yeah I can understand that logic now.

IWGP is absolutely amazing (albeit its... lack of a real ending, which is a common problem from that director) -- MC was a drop-out who stupidly strong and floated between not really giving a shit about gang wars, and giving a shit when it affect his group of misfits.

That blond dude in that picture is like a mixture of Red Eye and Tetsuo or something. Crazy dude.

--

I bet you that Last Bronx movie has a ton of panties in it.

fakeedit: oh shit the whole movie is there? I have to watch this...

realedit: this is fucking awful

Man... you know how much I love Last Bronx... not once have I felt tempted to watch that movie through.

Streets of rage I can understand. Altered Beast? Ugh.

Dude, have you never seen a werewolf movie?

seriously, how could a greek dude that turns into a Werewolf, weretiger, weredragon, or werebear, and fights crazy greek myth style creatures and monstrosities not be cool? Creatively, it's easy to see how it could work. They could easily weave in some greek myth on the story front as well. The IP is ripe for more content.

My only concern would be the budget. If this has no budget for SFX, or cool costumes, and practical FX,then they are in trouble.

How do you make Streets of Rage work outside of the late 80s-early 90s ?

Make it an 80's retro throwback, but in the vein of the Warriors? The soundtrack is already rich for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5g-QHq925o&list=PLB7F9A5456C337B43

Seriously though, who is this company? I imagine anything from this deal that sees the light of day will be a steaming pile, but I guess we can always hope.

How do you make Streets of Rage work outside of the late 80s-early 90s ?

There can always be a Mr. X, an evil syndicate, and a bunch of bad guys to punch in the face. It's timeless!

Joking aside, I'd love a new Streets of Rage game. A TV series or movie feels like a waste though, but I'd watch it or at least a few episodes to see how it is.

tkscz

Streets of Rage can be good if it's a tongue in cheek 90's action flick. Hell, considering Leathal Weapon and Rush Hour are now series, I can see SoR being a series. Altered Beast couldn't work as either. Maybe a bad Netflix movie that leans on the "so bad it's good" but not as anything close to series.
RISE FROM YO GRAVE!

Also Westly Snipes as Adam is a must.

Busty

Banned
Pffft. What a nothing announcement. They haven't even attached a writer to work on either of these so called priority projects.

Spend enough time on GAF and these both seem like big gets but in the wider world no one cares. What does a Streets of Rage film even look like in this day and age?

Bleh.

I am confident in saying nearly none, and almost certainly none at all, of these will ever actually see a release. Tons of entertainment properties get licensed and never made and video games in particular have a terrible strike rate.

Exactly. Some people got rights for The Wheel of Time movie and game rights. Yet they havnt done shit with it. This was like 5-6 years ago if i remember right.

batfax

Streets of Rage as a loving parody of the kind of movies and stuff it was based off of could be pretty fun.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Streets of Rage will have to have someone Triple Diamond God Tier on the OST, or it's already failed.

Godspeed to the dude who has to fill those shoes.

Nanashrew

Banned
Stories is producing film and television projects based on Sega game franchises, including “Shinobi” with Marc Platt, “Golden Axe,” “Virtua Fighter,” “The House of the Dead,” and “Crazy Taxi.”

If the Crazy Taxi movie isn't pumping out non-stop music from The Offspring, then it's no Crazy Taxi movie.

CamHostage

Exactly. Some people got rights for The Wheel of Time movie and game rights. Yet they havnt done shit with it. This was like 5-6 years ago if i remember right.

There's a difference here though: SEGA is the one pushing to get the rights into producers' hands and make these movies/series happen. They have a vested interest in making their game titles be hot again. SEGA set up the company Stories to make this happen.

It actually happening, that'll be a Hollywood miracle as it always is, but it's not these people coming to SEGA and saying, "Gee, we'd really like to make an Altered Beast movie, do you trust us?" This is SEGA shopping the rights and asking what a studio can do for them.

Jobbs

Banned
butwhy.gif one hundred times over

these are games with silly stupid ass settings to facilitate beating up lots of things. there's nothing about it that's in any way useful to a movie or tv show

This sounds like a great thing. Altered Beast was fun, but pretty hard. I loved Streets of Rage, so seeing that any media is satisfying.

kromeo

Make it like Gotham, with Axel, Blaze and Adam repeatedly getting called into the office for a bollocking regarding their methods, before eventually being all "fuck this then, we're out"... but some of their friends at the precinct still risk their jobs to help them on the sly.

Sounds more like bad boys

Synth

Sounds more like bad boys

If they were to go with a movie rather a TV show, then yea, that would probably be the template.

I like the Gotham comparison though, because the city itself is a similar "lost cause", rather than just having one big bad, whilst everyone else lives their mostly peaceful lives.

Top Bottom