• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics finally set to release in NA/EU beginning November 28

Shane

Wait, is Sonic the updated one for iOS? Can we play as Tails?

No. It's a port of the original on the developers new port engine. Jap/ International versions, graphics modes, Megadrive 1 or 2 emulation, dash on, those are the sort of options here.

orborborb

It's 60 fps here. I don't know what you're seeing.

Though, obviously, 60 fps on a crappy LCD isn't going to match 60 fps on a real CRT so it definitely doesn't look perfect.

Still, the 3DS resolution is a great match for these games as the Genesis resolution fits perfectly within (3DS = 400x240 while Genesis = 320x224). With most devices you need to upscale everything though the iPhone ports did a perfect job of scaling the pixels to fill the screen.

Yeah it's 60fps, I guess it's just the scrolling speed of the game that makes the LCD motion blur more obvious than the last 60fps game I was playing, Link Between Worlds.

3D looks great, 1:1 pixels, accurate color, I am quite happy with it

GooeyHeat

Also, does anybody know the file size of these games? Most of my SD card is Shin Megami Tensei IV, and I won't have a chance to get a bigger one sooner.

I don't even know how you're supposed to do scan lines on a display with almost exactly the same number of pixels as the original.

3D Sonic looks SO GOOD. Loving the 3D effects. They're good enough to make the game not feel underwhelming after playing the EXCELLENT iOS port for so long.

I can't believe 3D Streets of Rage supports co-op - that's amazing. The inevitable 3D Streets of Rage 2 doing the same thing in wave two of these games will be even better. It's amazing how much SEGA's Virtual Console and 3D Classics efforts put Nintendo's to shame.

After getting and loving 3D Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, and Sonic, I'm annoyed that I'm even thinking about getting Altered Beast. But I mustn't. $6 is $6 too much for such a shitty game. I mustn't...

Sonic 3D looks fantastic.

Can somebody please explain all of the settings in the options menu? i.e. what is the difference between Japanese and international versions, etc.?

Balb

Not a fan of every game in the Sega 3D classics series but I have to get them all anyway because they're made with 100% love.

japtor

I can't see the 3D effect on 3DS and don't really dig any of the games in "phase one" of this. However, the love and care M2 has put into these ports based on the interviews has made me think I really need to vote with my dollars here and buy them. My question is, are they worth it if 3D isn't an option? I know there is a lot of detail added, but are there configurable options and things beyond the parallax?
Can't speak for the other games but for Super Hang On at least it's great without 3D. I play with the gyro controls so it's not really a choice (barring tilting your head in line with the screen), but the control makes up for going without the 3D effect.

And goddamn it's hard. I set it to the easiest option where you pass through other bikes and left the timer on default, I still can't even pass the second course yet.

Woooooooo! I'm hyped for Sonic now, but I want to read all the interviews with M2 first before buying it. I read the Space Harrier interview last night and loved it (even though I never played that game).

Man I'm such a sucker for remakes of old classics. These will be the first games I buy (on any platform) in many many months.

Just bought sonic, very clear looking but 3D effect is kind of underwhelming. Doesn't seem to lend itself to 3D as well as some other games but I only played green hill zone. That said, I still want Sonic 2 in 3D ASAP.

AmyS

Agreed. Altered Beast on Genesis introduced me to the wonders of parallax -- it wouldn't feel right to skip it in 3D.

Although the original System 16 arcade Altered Beast is graphically a lot better (bigger, bolder sprites, more color, much more animation as well as way better special effects like body parts that break up & scale into the screen, the various attacks each altered beast does, Neff growing and the smoke before he becomes each stage boss, etc etc) the MegaDrive / Genesis Altered Beast actually had parallax (4 layers in the 1st stage) whereas the arcade Altered Beast did not have any parallax at all.

That said, I would have much preferred if 3D Altered Beast had been based on the arcade version.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought sonic, very clear looking but 3D effect is kind of underwhelming. Doesn't seem to lend itself to 3D as well as some other games but I only played green hill zone. That said, I still want Sonic 2 in 3D ASAP.
Just imagine those bonus stages in 3D...

Man, I want that game. I want it so bad.

Just imagine those bonus stages in 3D...

Man, I want that game. I want it so bad.

Yup, I really hope it's part of the next group. I'll probably get space harrier and definitely get streets of rage just because of how much I've played that game.

Edit: Fuck, I forgot about altered beast... Has anyone tried that yet? How does the 3D look? I played the shit out of that game when I was younger too.

Gagaman

Sonic looks great on 3DS. I think i'll buy Hang-On next.

What do people think Season 2 would look like?

-After Burner II
-OutRun (DC ver without Ferrari)
-Sonic 2
-Streets of Rage 2

Dream list:
-Outrunners
-Power Drift
-Virtua Racing Deluxe (32X)
-Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
-Fantasy Zone II DX (the one M2 made for the PS2 Fantasy Zone collection)
-Sonic 3 & Knuckles
-Knuckles Chaotix

Realistic list:
-After Burner II
-Outrun
-Golden Axe (Arcade ver.)
-Gunstar Heroes
-Ristar

Yes Boss!

Power Drift is a no-brainer. Especially considering the tilt controls. It must be done.

I'd also like to see them throw us a Sega Master System game or two.

Also, Arabian Fight. Shit needs to be ported!

RM8

Dream list:
-Outrunners
-Power Drift
-Sonic 3 & Knuckles
-Knuckles Chaotix
Ahaha, your dream list doesn't have Virtua Fighter.

Gagaman

Ahaha, your dream list doesn't have Virtua Fighter.

I considered it, though at the rate I was going the dream list would be never ending haha.

Power Drift is a no-brainer. Especially considering the tilt controls. It must be done.

I'd also like to see them throw us a Sega Master System game or two.

Also, Arabian Fight. Shit needs to be ported!

Master System wise they could just bring over the actual 3D glasses games, though from what I played of them they weren't really all that exciting. Would be cool to see none the less, maybe two or three of them as a bundle.

The Hermit

Dream list:
-Outrunners
-Power Drift
-Sonic 3 & Knuckles
-Knuckles Chaotix

Realistic list:
-After Burner II
-Outrun
-Gunstar Heroes
-Ristar

Damn, I would buy every single one of those.

BTW, where is Saturn and Dreamcast on the Virtual Console? I heard a while ago they were making a new Seaman for WiiU, where is it?

None of Sega's game trailers on the eShop have 3D.

M2: "Hey Sega, we've got some Arcade and Genesis Classics that have been faithfully recreated with 3D support."
Sega: "Great! Let's market them each on the eShop with a low-quality 2D trailer with audio that the viewer can barely hear!"

Yes Boss!

It is by far the best version of Space Harrier imo.

That is the truth. There are zillion games for the 3DS but this port of Space Harrier makes the system a must-purchase for any gamer. If a gamer does not have a 3DS by this point then...I just don't know what to say.

AmyS

Dream list:
-Outrunners
-Power Drift

-Sonic 3 & Knuckles
-Knuckles Chaotix

Realistic list:
-After Burner II
-Outrun

-Gunstar Heroes
-Ristar

Yes!

Especially the ones I put in bold.

Celine

It's not a good game but I would like to try a 3D remake of Arabian Fight.

EDIT:
Scratch that, I'd take Dark Edge instead.

Slermy

Sonic looks great on 3DS. I think i'll buy Hang-On next.

What do people think Season 2 would look like?

-After Burner II
-OutRun (DC ver without Ferrari)
-Sonic 2
-Streets of Rage 2

Based on your comments, and others, I'm going with:

-- After Burner II
-- Fantasy Zone
-- OutRun without Ferraris
-- Bonanza Bros. (I'm pretty confident this is one of them due to the "appeals to Japan" comment, as well as the ability for the "GigaDrive" to write depth per raster line. Could make the floor look really cool.)
-- Puyo Puyo
-- Sonic the Hedgehog 2

bsb

Neo Member
M2: "Hey Sega, we've got some Arcade and Genesis Classics that have been faithfully recreated with 3D support."
Sega: "Great! Let's market them each on the eShop with a low-quality 2D trailer with audio that the viewer can barely hear!"

Heh, and the footage in the Sonic trailer also seems like it's from some poor Sega intern playing the game for the first time and trying to get used to the physics. Doesn't exactly get you pumped up to buy the game.

CLEEK

Power Drift 3D would make my balls explode.

I'm sure Outrun would be at the top of most folk's wish list, but I assume the Ferrari license will prevent that happening.

Voliko

I can just feel the love put into making these while reading the interviews. M2 is awesome. I am definitely picking up most of these.

Top Bottom