• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA + Bioware = Sonic RPG for DS

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Unison said:
Previous attempts at Sonic Role-Playing have been hideous:

212266503_a31a2089e3.jpg

283498905_7cb66e05f1.jpg

spaceball.gif

Anybody have that picture of infinityjinx dressed as Sonic from the "Post new pics" thread in OT? That's the only thing that can save this thread now!

probune

Myke Greywolf said:
I would certainly buy that since I think it has a lot of potential, and the Archie-created characters (some of which are truly great, such as Sally, Bunnie and Antoine) have been ignored by Sega for far too long.

Bioware will make shitty friends not shitty.

Those characters weren't created by Archie, they were adapted from the various TV shows... the Archie specific ones are all pretty bad, like Mina the Mongoose who also has super speed and Nate Morgan, an old black professor midget (I am making neither of these characters up)

But I agree that it would be great to have a game with those characters.

Tailzo

Myke Greywolf said:
I would certainly buy that since I think it has a lot of potential, and the Archie-created characters (some of which are truly great, such as Sally, Bunnie and Antoine) have been ignored by Sega for far too long.

I hope we will not see those characters in the game. Though that's a matter of preference.

The Bioware fan in me is saying "OMG THIS IS AWESOME," but the ex-Sonic fan in me is saying "How can they mess this one up?" As long as they stray away from the urban universe that Sonic's been living in for the past several years and go back to the roots of the franchise, this will be a must buy for me. I really, really REALLY don't want to see a Sonic RPG set in the city.

zoku88

Myke Greywolf said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loved those comics. I had so many of them. I still have the endgame series. :)

as long as the game doesn't take itself too seriously (which is what is plaguing the sonic games nowadays, along with the overall crappy gameplay) it COULD be awesome

This has to be the funniest and yet saddest press release I've read all year. A Sonic RPG, made by guys who came out with KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights. For Nintendo DS nonetheless. It seems like such a waste of Bioware goodness on the ridiculous Sonic universe.

This is going to be the best Sonic game in years... Ok, obviously that's not saying much, but I have faith in Bioware, so this game is going to be the shit. Just when I thought the DS was going into a slump... :D

FightyF

Banned
4kmr76e.jpg

ant1532 said:
Was just thinking.... and yeah, this game can be ****ing awesome?

Who the hell cares about Sonic's friends!!?? Bioware is MAKING it!

Only reason I don't like Sonic's friends is because their gameplay usually sucks(don't know about the rest of you because some of you just sound like you are tryin to be hip or somethin and just hatin.) But hell Bioware is making it, it's probably going to be a ****ing awesome RPG but using Sonic.

EXACTLY.

Knuckles Chaotix had tons of Sonic friends and it kicked ass, and you liked each one for their abilities.

Most of these haters finally played the 2D Sonic titles over Wii's VC months ago. They don't know what they are talking about.

This should be good! I should drive up to Edmonton and tell them how Sonic is supposed to be done! I swear, I'll work for free, as an advisor! I'll freaking watch every Saturday morning Sonic cartoon and read all the comics too.

USD

Wow, reading this thread you can tell how many people have not been playing the Sonic Advance/Rush games. Don't associate the console games with the handheld games.

And back on subject. I'm more worried about the fact that they don't have any experience with working with handhelds, and how seriously they will take on that task, but I expect good things from BioWare.

FightyF

Banned
cjelly said:
Fight for Freeform is back with his Sonic physics pics. :lol

To be clear I didn't make them, these gems were originally posted by Scullibundo and I'm not sure where he got them from. I can't take credit for the genius behind them, but I fully support the endeavor of bringing back Sonic physics.

I'd like to also announce that after a bloody coupe d'etat, I have installed myself as undisputed leader of the Sonic Defense Force.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm enjoying all the hate.

That is all. :)

Looking forward to seeing where Bioware and Sega go with this project.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm enjoying all the hate.

That is all. :)

Looking forward to seeing where Bioware and Sega go with this project.

I'm not sure it's hate, rather than absolute disbelief.

Boy would I love this game to based on Satam. Mobius. Freedom Fighters. Hot damn that would be one awesome RPG.
Dragona Akehi said:
I'm not sure it's hate, rather than absolute disbelief.
Yeah. Why would Bioware stoop so low...

Muppet345

The worst part of this news is that Bioware is introducing us to a world of idiotic, whiny manbabies, otherwise known as the Sonic community. I'll have to read their speculation for the game and scoff at their plebeian ideas and disgusting fantasies when the Bioware development process is something more holy than whatever their dust-filled, Dr. Pepper-fueled minds could muster. It's like a pack of retards staring at the sun, which is bright and just and good, while they are slobbering and probably on the verge of shitting themselves out of habit.

Kevar said:
The worst part of this news is that Bioware is introducing us to a world of idiotic, whiny manbabies, otherwise known as the Sonic community. I'll have to read their speculation for the game and scoff at their plebeian ideas and disgusting fantasies when the Bioware development process is something more holy than whatever their dust-filled, Dr. Pepper-fueled minds could muster. It's like a pack of retards staring at the sun, which is bright and just and good, while they are slobbering and probably on the verge of shitting themselves out of habit.

Could be worse... and Bioware making a Mario RPG.

Amir0x

Banned
you know it's Bioware, and an RPG. It should be awesome. It's just the idea of using Sonic as a basis for the world. I mean, Mario RPG's worked out well enough... but that world can be pretty charming when it's not being milked in twenty eight different ways. I never found Sonic's world involving or interesting. I hated the tv shows, hated most of the characters, hated most of the attempts at story throughout the series. I just like physics based Sonic, going really fast and overcoming obstacles in that way.

It should be interesting to see how Bioware implements the classic foundations of the Sonic world (speed, obviously) into an RPG format, at least.

Everything tells me to be excited for this game, but for the best of me I have absolutely no clue what this game will look like when all is said and done. :lol Has there ever been a weirder collaboration?

Xavien

I come back from my work and i find this on GAF??

wow...

i mean... wow... what?? what? WHAT?

This is like mixing oil and water... but its such a crazy idea, it might just work :)

This game will probably be done by junior team members who need to cut their teeth on some game development before moving onto to Bioware's main products.

If this Sonic RPG requires a party, Sonics freinds wont be such a game breaker like they were before.........so long as the main character is Sonic the entire time you play.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Everything is right about this situation except the subject matter. Nothing about the Sonic universe appeals to me other than the action mechanics.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
For a couple minutes there I thought this was a joke topic.

Only a funnier note, when I first went to type "For" I was typing awkwardly and accidentally tyoed "Die".:lol

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
This game will probably be done by junior team members who need to cut their teeth on some game development before moving onto to Bioware's main products.

Chris Priestly (Bioware's community coordinator) on the Bioware forums:

Chris Priestly said:
Well, we do have a lot of guys and gals working on Mass Effect and Dragon Age, but there is a tight group of talented, experienced BioWarians working on our Sonic title as well. The team is lead by Mark Darrah who has been with BioWare for over a decade and worked on BG, BG2, NwN and Jade Empire

Tremis

This man does his research.
How the hell is this real news?...... I am stunned. This is of a caliber of Snake in Smash. As per TheRipDizz, has there ever been any crazier/less expected collaborations than this?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tremis said:
How the hell is this real news?...... I am stunned. This is of a caliber of Snake in Smash. As per TheRipDizz, has there ever been any crazier/less expected collaborations than this?
It's a MEGATON so unbelievable that nobody knows what to say. :lol

Maybe when we get some screens and info (about how much the shitty friends plague it).

Ugh, I was hoping it was just a clump of newhires making the game with a couple of veterans managing the project.

What a waste. Of course that was my first thought when I saw this thread.

Defcon

Banned
It's something different at least. It will be interesting to get more info and hopefully some screens in the coming months. Can't say I'm interested in the Sonic universe, but Bioware are pretty good at what they do and it should be worth playing.

Taxman

What if bioware goes the KOTOR route and lets you be evil? You could join Dr. Robotnik and beat the crap out of those friends you all hate with such passion.

Top Bottom