• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA + Bioware = Sonic RPG for DS

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Right. An experience lead and a team of newbies. This is usually how handheld divisions are run.

It's not a team of noobs and you're a complete dumbass. Handheld projects are the new black for dev team members.

justchris

I hope to god the final official name is 'Sonic and his Shitty Friends DS'. It's only fair.

I mean, a game where the shitty friends would actually serve a purpose, how can you complain about that? At least give Bioware the benefit of the doubt.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
justchris said:
I hope to god the final official name is 'Sonic and his Shitty Friends DS'. It's only fair.

I mean, a game where the shitty friends would actually serve a purpose, how can you complain about that? At least give Bioware the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think most of the people complaining are worried that the game will turn out bad. It is Bioware after all. It is just most people wish the game wasn't based around Sonic.

justchris

Screaming_Gremlin said:
I don't think most of the people complaining are worried that the game will turn out bad. It is Bioware after all. It is just most people wish the game wasn't based around Sonic.

The thing is, what do you fear you're missing out on? Bioware doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon. Any story they might otherwise have used before they got the Sonic license will just end up in a future game. This is good for Sonic, and more money for Bioware, that can be used to make that future game even better. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

beat

TreIII said:
That's all that's really necessary...but of COURSE, they probably have to satiate the Shadow and Silver fanboys who will cry foul if they're not in the game...

Taxman said:
What if bioware goes the KOTOR route and lets you be evil
I'm guessing here, but what if Bioware puts in their usual good-and-evil role-playing and the hedgehog main character goes between Sonic and Shadow depending on your choices?

I guess this thread confirms what many have suspected all along.

A majority of the people don't just bash the Sonic franchise because the games have been bad lately(with a few exceptions, that nobody ever cares to point out. Wonder why.).

They just bash them 'cuz they're Sonic.

So, what don't you like about Sonic(when it's good)?

Too kiddy? Did a Genesis owner take a piss in your Super Nintendo when you were in gradeschool? Maybe you're afraid of being labeled a furry? That's like, worse than being labeled a racist or a nazi, you know.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
SonicMegaDrive said:

There's the rub. When was the last time it was good? Consistantly good? Very good? Exactly.

Mar

SonicMegaDrive said:
I guess this thread confirms what many have suspected all along.

A majority of the people don't just bash the Sonic franchise because the games have been bad lately(with a few exceptions, that nobody ever cares to point out. Wonder why.).

They just bash them 'cuz they're Sonic.

Too kiddy? Did a Genesis owner take a piss in your Super Nintendo when you were in gradeschool? Maybe you're afraid of being labeled a furry? That's like, worse than being labeled a racist or a nazi, you know.

I'd say most are like me. Previous fans of the series and proclaimers of it being one of the best 2D platformers ever made. Yet they've destroyed the series and keep beating it like a dead horse.

I have hope for this game though. Bioware should be able to do something good with it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This is the most exciting Sonic game announcement in a long time. I approve heartily.

Bioware fanboys might be disappointed, wanting a game that's "teh mature," but it's their own fault for hyping themselves up for a nonexistent Baldur's Gate DS.

My beef against this game is that the Sonic franchise doesn't line up very well with Bioware's RPG style at all. That's an RPG style I have enjoyed greatly for nearly a decade, and the Sonic universe is just unsuitable for it.

That means that instead of a translation of Bioware's existing formula to handhelds-something that would likely involve numerous throwbacks to the Infinity Engine games that put them on the map-we're likely going to get something far more simplistic and unsophisticated instead. I'm not saying it won't be good, what I'm saying is that it won't really be made for people like me who are fans of the companies' work-and as a fan, that's disappointing. There aren't too many studios out there like Bioware-heck, I'd argue that there are two at most-and when the sources are that few "missing out" on a game sucks.

Mar_ said:
I'd say most are like me. Previous fans of the series and proclaimers of it being one of the best 2D platformers ever made. Yet they've destroyed the series and keep beating it like a dead horse.

I have hope for this game though. Bioware should be able to do something good with it.

That's the kind of fan I am. I detest most of the new stuff(except for oddities like Sonic Rush and Sonic ATSR). But I don't let that bother me, I just keep in mind that the old stuff was and still is great. True, there hasn't been a spectacular Sonic game since....geez, probably 1994. I don't expect that to change anytime soon, as Sega has been stripped of most of it's talent.

But when they outsource it to somebody like Bioware, then that gives me a reason to hope something good comes out of it.

Duderz

Banned
Amir0x said:
you know it's Bioware, and an RPG. It should be awesome. It's just the idea of using Sonic as a basis for the world. I mean, Mario RPG's worked out well enough... but that world can be pretty charming when it's not being milked in twenty eight different ways. I never found Sonic's world involving or interesting. I hated the tv shows, hated most of the characters, hated most of the attempts at story throughout the series. I just like physics based Sonic, going really fast and overcoming obstacles in that way.

It should be interesting to see how Bioware implements the classic foundations of the Sonic world (speed, obviously) into an RPG format, at least.

QFT. I'm interested because of Bioware, but Sonic? Really?

And this sure isn't megaton by any means. Sega contracts a developer to do a Sonic RPG? :/

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
If I can decide on the Shadow path (and have a big gat while rolling in my low-rider) I am all over this day 1

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I am all over this anyways. I have never played a Bioware game I didn't like.. soo with that track record day one purchases always

Kintaro

SonicMegaDrive said:
But if THIS game is good, then who cares?

I like this non-answer. =P

Bioware = Good (as long as it's not Jade Dragon)
Sonic = Bad
Result = Push.
Variables = RPG in Sonic's world, DS.

Either way, shitty friends are on their way. Or worse, HUMANS + Sonic.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Kintaro said:
There's the rub. When was the last time it was good?

I hear the Wii game was good, though I haven't played it yet.

Kintaro said:
Consistantly good?

Define "consistently." I doubt many series can be considered "consistently" good unless your definition is loose.

Kintaro said:
Very good?

Sonic Rush (2005) was very good. Thanks for playing.

Sonic can be done well. It's possible.

Kintaro said:
I like this non-answer. =P

Bioware = Good (as long as it's not Jade Dragon)
Sonic = Bad
Result = Push.
Variables = RPG in Sonic's world, DS.

Either way, shitty friends are on their way. Or worse, HUMANS + Sonic.

Well, to have an RPG, you have to have a wide array of characters.

Hey, let me ask you this: in an RPG, would you rather have a roster of furry sidekick characters(even if uninspired), or generic spikey-haired anime characters?

Yeahhh, I thought so.

Bring on the shitty friends.

IAmtheFMan said:

:lol

Why are people scared of the thought of a good Sonic RPG? I thought Super Mario RPG was supposed to be good.

I don't think Square fans back then were all like "DAMN SQUARE IS MY FAVOURITE DEVELOPER I DON'T WANT THEM TO WASTE THEIR RESOURCES".

CurseoftheGods said:
:lol

Why are people scared of the thought of a good Sonic RPG? I thought Super Mario RPG was supposed to be good.

I don't think Square fans back then were all like "DAMN SQUARE IS MY FAVOURITE DEVELOPER I DON'T WANT THEM TO WASTE THEIR RESOURCES".

Well, yah, but back then Square fans and Nintendo fans were pretty much the same contingent. Their games were all on the same console, after all.

Sega fans and Bioware fans are quite a different breed indeed.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Well, yah, but back then Square fans and Nintendo fans were pretty much the same contingent. Their games were all on the same console, after all.

Sega fans and Bioware fans are quite a different breed indeed.

Good point.

Salazar

There we were, thinking those novelty random-game-generators were just for fun.

This is cool - it would have to bomb unprecedentedly hard to knock Bioware off future (less insanely experimental) DS work, right ? I doubt it's what all the folks who wrote articles howling 'Sonic needs a fix / a change / a revolution' were expecting, but the startling boldness is good.

Meantime, we have Mass Effect - hopefully Dragon Age version at some point - and whatever else Bioware are cooking. After this, who knows what in hell that might be ?

Fragamemnon said:
My beef against this game is that the Sonic franchise doesn't line up very well with Bioware's RPG style at all. That's an RPG style I have enjoyed greatly for nearly a decade, and the Sonic universe is just unsuitable for it.

That means that instead of a translation of Bioware's existing formula to handhelds-something that would likely involve numerous throwbacks to the Infinity Engine games that put them on the map-we're likely going to get something far more simplistic and unsophisticated instead. I'm not saying it won't be good, what I'm saying is that it won't really be made for people like me who are fans of the companies' work-and as a fan, that's disappointing. There aren't too many studios out there like Bioware-heck, I'd argue that there are two at most-and when the sources are that few "missing out" on a game sucks.

My sentiments as well. I mean Sonic? You could argue that a number of other SEGA franchises would meld more with Bioware: Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force or Phantasy Star would make much more sense.

Firestorm

I'm not reading all this! Quick! Is it true and is this what's causing the server errors!
If true... YES!

If Sega's not in charge they can't screw it up!

Edit: Finally found it! Post #109 has the press release.
YAAAYYY!!!

Tails will be super awesome mega great.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dragona Akehi said:
My sentiments as well. I mean Sonic? You could argue that a number of other SEGA franchises would meld more with Bioware: Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force or Phantasy Star would make much more sense.

Wow, a Bioware PD could be cool. I mean, we already had one awesome RPG in that universe, why not another from another perspective?

Pachael

Dragona Akehi said:

I'd argue that that may have been the case - Sega approached Bioware about making a RPG with them or vice versa. What probably then happened was that over the negotiations of franchises Sonic come to the forefront as something that could sell in comparison to the others, especially on the DS.

While something like a Bioware Panzer Dragoon RPG would excite Sega fans, I don't think Sega as a publisher would sanction marketing it and putting it out. (Besides, other than the Sonic brand, Sega has shown itself to be complete numbskulls in marketing of anything).

Dragona Akehi said:

I think it comes down to Sonic's recognition by casual gamers, like others have mentioned. It seems like on handhelds, branding and consumer familiarity are even more potent than they are on the consoles, and Sonic is easily still Sega's strongest brand (and new brands are something Sega really needs to work on).

Gattsu25

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
So here's a little synopsis of how I heard about it:

"So yeah there's a new Sonic game for DS."

"So?"

"It's an RPG, cool huh?"

"So?"

"Oh and Bioware is making it."

"WHAT?"

"I said, Bio--"

"WHAT?"

"Bio--"

"WHAT?"
That's nearly 100% how it was in my case, as well

Rezbit

Wow...what unexpected news. It could be good gameplay wise, but I don't have much hope for the story. I mean, the Sonic canon isn't exactly a work of great literature.

TreIII

Kintaro said:
Then what does Sonic equal?

A good franchise that fell on bad times, thanks largely in part to Yuji Naka's direction for the series that was prominent from 99-06.

If placed in competent hands (like say...BioWare's), Sonic could become a respectable and "cool!" franchise once more.

I mean, hey, look what they did for Star Wars with KOTOR. Even in spite of the rather cruddy films in theaters at that point, KOTOR reached and re-ignited the flames of passion for the SW-verse for many, after so many were burned out after seeing Hayden Christiansen's bad acting. I could definitely see something similar for Sonic. Even as bad games may continue to be pumped out, at least BioWare's entrant into the Sonic series will be a high quality one that will actually do credit to the series' name.

Fight for Freeform said:
4kmr76e.jpg
I'd like to see a 2D physics-based RPG battle system.

Well, it can't be worse than Sonic Battle. Or Sonic X360, although knowing Bioware it'll be just as buggy.

After thinking about it, I think the Sonic RPG could work. Sonic's shitty friends could actually be useful in an RPG instead of being a hindrance in a 3D Sonic platformer (StH2006 excluded, since Sonic was a hindrance in that one). And the generally retarded plot that you see in modern Sonic games would fit in a RPG; I mean, people bought into FFVII for ****'s sake.

Since Bioware are making it, it at least should play alright. Hell, it'll probably be the best RPG from Sega since SoA. I hope this means we get Skies of Arcadia 2 or Phantasy Star V from Bioware somewhere down the track. They'd at least do a better job with SoA than Overworks did.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ok, how to analyse this...

Bioware making an RPG: :yey:
Bioware making an RPG on DS: :eek:
Bioware making an RPG, on DS, with Sega: :|
Bioware making an RPG, on DS, with Sega, involving Sonic: :lol

Kintaro

MiamiWesker said:
A well known, legendary videogame character. The quality of the Sonic games depends on who makes them, the fact that Sonic is in a game does not make it bad.

Sonic has become synonymous with bad games. It's a rare occasion when there is a decent Sonic game, let alone a good one. Even more so for a streak of good Sonic games. Doesn't matter where you put the blame, the name is trying to sell it, so the name takes the blame.

Ashodin

Dragona Akehi said:
masssssssssss marketttttttt

Top Bottom