• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

yup, same adapter i have, only with the one VGA to HDMI powered converter on monoprice

if it dont play via VGA i don't fucks with it

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, Power Stone 1 vs Power Stone 2. Which should I get? What are the differences I should know about?

nded

So, Power Stone 1 vs Power Stone 2. Which should I get? What are the differences I should know about?

Power Stone is 1v1 only, while Power Stone 2 allows up to 4 players simultaneously. I would recommend the second game if you plan on playing with friends.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Just note that some games don't work with VGA (although it's very few of them). Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense will never bleed through my plasma.

Only game I've owned that doesn't work with the VGA box is Last Blade 2... which was just an okay-ish port anyway, so whatever.

I forget, did Bangai-O support the VGA box, or was that s-video only?

kunonabi

Finally bought the LE of Space Channel 5 part 2. Now I just need Segagaga. The rest of my DC interests are fairly inexpensive after that one.

Sixfortyfive

Sometimes I feel like actually busting out the t-shirt from that set. Not really a smart move considering how much it's worth but it's not like I ever really plan on selling the thing.

IrishNinja

oh man, i'd be so tempted! especially if it's the right size. i half want that set just for the pins.

reminds me, im still salty my old roommate moved up to chicago & left my black launch Dreamcast swirl shirt at his parents somewhere down here, i wanna wear that thing alla time but it's gone & i'm too cheap to just find it on ebay in my size. at least i still have this Sonic 2 "are you up 2 it?" one, haha

Mzo

Power Stone is a fantastic and creative 3D fighting game. Power Stone 2 is hot garbage.

edit: ok, I'll elaborate:

Power Stone 2 simplified the controls greatly and made stages way too busy. You'll more often find yourself getting killed by obstacles and other dangers than other players.

Power Stone is a great, unique fighting game. Power Stone 2 is a mediocre party fighter where luck, confusion, and environmental hazards win out over skill.

But I like both of those things! That was the answer I was afraid of!

Power Stone 1 is two player only, while Power Stone 2 has four player mayhem. Both ways are good, but different. Just get both games, they're both worth playing.

(Also, having to avoid stage obstacles is not that bad!)

Seik

Banned
Anyone have experience with Mark of the wolves of Heart of the Samurai? Not sure if they are worth picking up.

What I can say with MotW is that it's the best console version available...

..if you don't want to invest into a Neo Geo. D:

Seriously, I like it, great fighting game. It gets hard quickly after a few fights in arcade mode though, I suck at it. :(

goldenpp72

Well I'm at something like 74 games for the DC, and I thought it would be fun to dig a tad and end at 80, so stuff like that as well as Armada and such are on my list of maybes. I'm also researching EGG which looks fun.

What I can say with MotW is that it's the best console version available...

..if you don't want to invest into a Neo Geo. D:

Seriously, I like it, great fighting game. It gets hard quickly after a few fights in arcade mode though, I suck at it. :(

Isn't the PS2 version of MotW better than the DC one? I remember the audio lagging behind in the DC version or something like that.

Seik

Banned
Isn't the PS2 version of MotW better than the DC one? I remember the audio lagging behind in the DC version or something like that.

*checks on Ebay*

Oh...right...I didn't even know there was a PS2 version. D:

Japanese only though...Might grab it soon.

Last Blade 2 is my favorite SNK game... but I do have a bit of an issue with the DC release, even though it's one of the few non-Neo-Geo US releases (Wii Virtual Console is the only other one) -- as with the WiiVC, US Neo-Geo, and US Neo-Geo CD releases, it's censored, with white blood, no fatalities allowed, and no special ending for Hibiki (because it requires you kill all opponents). Pretty lame. On a Japanese Neo-Geo/CD system you can play with English text and have the fatalities and blood and everything, but there's no English text option in the Japanese Dreamcast release, sadly, and the US release of course is censored as always.

There is one interesting thing, though, and that's that the US and Japanese DC versions actually can share a save file, so you can put in the Japanese version to play, then use the US one to watch the endings and such... nice feature.

As for those other games, MotW is another one of SNK's best games ever, and the DC version is pretty good. EGG is a good 2d/3d Zelda game, well worth playing. Armada's good too; it's repetitive, but quite fun and interesting. Why only 80 games though? There are more good DC games than that. :)

ThEoRy...

Well I'm at something like 74 games for the DC, and I thought it would be fun to dig a tad and end at 80, so stuff like that as well as Armada and such are on my list of maybes. I'm also researching EGG which looks fun.

Armada is pretty great in co op. Be prepared for the dreaded "Armada Finger" as it became known amongst my friends.

Ferr986

Finally bought the LE of Space Channel 5 part 2. Now I just need Segagaga. The rest of my DC interests are fairly inexpensive after that one.

damn congrats.

I want that LE but I cant justify its price, especially when I have the original game already...

kunonabi

I probably shouldn't have bought it either since I'm not actually going to play it(can't stand the jp voices) but I've been obsessed with it ever since I saw it in an arcade a few years back.

I just splurged on more games I shouldn't have.

Picked up Treasure Strike, Giant Gram 2000, and Mobile Suit Gundam EFF vs. Zeon & DX

Prices were good and the sellers were American so I went for it.

That leaves Segagaga and the El Dorado series as my main interests. I might get the first Power Stone, Armada, and Gaia Master Kessen as impulse buys somewhere down the line though.

Sixfortyfive

I guess I'll ask in here too:

So, I have a Dreamcast VGA box. I also have a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle and an AverMedia Live Gamer Portable, both of which are capable of capturing footage through HDMI or component.

What's the best way to go about hooking up the former to the latter? Simple cables alone won't work; I'll need an active converter box of some kind for this. I'd like something that produces a clean and untouched signal (minimal distortion, no upscaling, etc.) as much as possible. Does anyone have any particular experience or recommendations? I'm thumbing through various items on Amazon and elsewhere right now but I figure I'd ask around before buying anything.

Alternatively, you could recommend VGA capture devices, but it'd have to be external since I'm on a laptop and I'm not sure if anything of that sort exists.

I just thought I'd drop in and help some fellow Dreamcast fanatics. I bought this cable: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/215915918.html and while it took like over a month to arrive it worked perfectly and outputs in shiny, shiny 480p

Woah hang on, a direct cable works? I thought the DC needed some kind of special pass-thru box as part of the vga output like you see with the official vga adapter or 3rd party ones on ebay.

Or is that just a spare cable thing?

Jamix012

Woah hang on, a direct cable works? I thought the DC needed some kind of special pass-thru box as part of the vga output like you see with the official vga adapter or 3rd party ones on ebay.

Or is that just a spare cable thing?

I thought it needed a box too, but I have an unmodded dreamcast and it worked perfectly.

Seik

Banned
Just got a broadband adapter off of ebay. I am ecstatic.

Do you intent to play PSO with it?

Because if you ever manage to make it work on the schthack servers, let me know how you managed to do it, I tried but never achieved to connect. :(

kunonabi

Because if you ever manage to make it work on the schthack servers, let me know how you managed to do it, I tried but never achieved to connect. :(

Yeah, I'm going to try. I'm pretty computer/internet illiterate but I really want to get online with it. If I succeed I'll let you know. At the very least I should finally be able to transfer my shenmue data to part 2.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I managed to get it work a couple times.

Wasn't there a FAQ on how to do it on the server itself? I remember following it and not having much problems.

Teknoman

Watching some videos...Sturmwind really does look good. Soundtrack isnt that bad either.

Speaking of new DC games, how was Gunlord? The only new DC i've got coming for sure in the future, is Pier Solar from the kickstarter...but i'm still kinda on the fence about buying games like these.

Well, if you're really curious, here's Classic Game Room's review of Gunlord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXiDHriOJUw

It was his game of the year last year, if I remember correctly.

It was indeed, and it deserved it. The only problem is that the game is getting more expensive, since for some incredibly stupid reason NG.Dev Team have refused to reprint the game or something. It's not available for sure, anyway, and hasn't been for some time. It would sell if they sold it again, no question.

reson8or

Watching some videos...Sturmwind really does look good. Soundtrack isnt that bad either.

Speaking of new DC games, how was Gunlord? The only new DC i've got coming for sure in the future, is Pier Solar from the kickstarter...but i'm still kinda on the fence about buying games like these.

I can attest to both being really really good and absolutely worth picking up. Bought both and my only regret is not playing them enough because of backlog.

Sixfortyfive

So I've played through roughly the first 10 minutes of Space Channel 5.

...Is there anything more to this game?

So I've played through roughly the first 10 minutes of Space Channel 5.

...Is there anything more to this game?

What more would you need? :p

But yeah, it's all about pressing what they tell you to in time with the music. Basically, Simon Says in video game form. There's not much "more" to it than that.

Personally, I freaking LOVE it, but it might not be for everyone. I like the sequel more, though.

I'm a big Ulala fan. I have customs of her in every game I can figure out a way to make her in...I used to rock an avatar of an Ulala customized Lili in Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Hah.

Getting frustrated with Headhunter, I'm so close to finally finishing it.

I've reached the final battle with Adam and he is kicking my ass, all the cover gets wiped out early and many of his attacks are unavoidable, also the guy is a damn bullet sponge.

Border Down is good, but yeah. As a commercial Dreamcast game released after commercial production of the Dreamcast console itself ceased, the prices are quite inflated

Dereck

The VGA Box.

The sound can only be done on separate speakers? Or can I change my TV's settings so that it displays RGB video and outputs red/white sound?

beat

My current AV receiver has S-video inputs, but if I ever upgrade, my next receiver probably won't. And meanwhile, I gave away my composite video cable for my DC because I figured I had the S-video one. What should I do for if and when I change AVRs? Get a composite cable? VGA box?

Top Bottom