• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

kunonabi

Got my broadband adapter. Not sure if I can connect it directly straight to the modem since there are apparently compatibility issues on software and ppvoe(whatever the hell that is) but I bought a dd-wrt firmware enabled router wireless router so I'm try to get my DC on the net wirelessly. I won't be able to sort all that out till July though.

My current AV receiver has S-video inputs, but if I ever upgrade, my next receiver probably won't. And meanwhile, I gave away my composite video cable for my DC because I figured I had the S-video one. What should I do for if and when I change AVRs? Get a composite cable? VGA box?

do VGA for the best image

IrishNinja

i use the same 3rd party one racketboy used to sell, others use it too...mine's hooked through a VGA to HDMI converter from newegg, works great!

IrishNinja

any GAFFERS ordered this?

Hanzo

Ive ordered it based on the impressions in that link.

Anyone here have it yet and can comment?

first ive seen of that one...id prefer some demo screens but it sounds awesome! the workaround for non VGA games sounds good too, i havnet hard any hard times with mine so far.

edit: this list says bang-o and skies shouldn't work, but i wanna say i had no hard time with either

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
On a DC kick and finishing up a run through 3 games I picked up recently.

Space Channel 5: Mentioned above. Seems all style and no substance to me, and while I enjoy that kind of game every once in a while (I did play Rez to completion after all, heyoooo), there just doesn't seem to be enough "game" here to hold my interest. I'm pretty big into some rhythm games, but I like them to be a little more involved than this.

Power Stone: Beat arcade mode with every character. It's fun, but I expect that I'll enjoy the sequel more, especially in VS. Even without playing it, I can see how 4-player and an increase in stage hazards could wreck competitive nuance, but honestly? There doesn't seem to be enough nuance here to sustain this game for long anyway. Way too many of the non-powered moves seem universal or only broken into 2 distinct classes, and I figure I'd enjoy the game's signature power-up mode more in a 4P setting where you have 3 opponents each scrambling to not be the target. It's a little frustrating in a 1v1 setting. VOOT remains the preferred game for 1v1 arena fighting.

Jet Grind Radio: Where the fuck has this game been all my life. What took me so long. Man. Once it clicks, it's golden. Definitely has those score attack legs. I'm almost done with the story mode and can see me coming back for a lot more. Also Japanese as fuck--SUDDENLY ROB ZOMBIE.

Napple Tale should be coming in the mail later today.

kunonabi

Space Channel 5: Mentioned above. Seems all style and no substance to me, and while I enjoy that kind of game every once in a while (I did play Rez to completion after all, heyoooo), there just doesn't seem to be enough "game" here to hold my interest. I'm pretty big into some rhythm games, but I like them to be a little more involved than this.

Power Stone: Beat arcade mode with every character. It's fun, but I expect that I'll enjoy the sequel more, especially in VS. Even without playing it, I can see how 4-player and an increase in stage hazards could wreck competitive nuance, but honestly? There doesn't seem to be enough nuance here to sustain this game for long anyway. Way too many of the non-powered moves seem universal or only broken into 2 distinct classes, and I figure I'd enjoy the game's signature power-up mode more in a 4P setting where you have 3 opponents each scrambling to not be the target. It's a little frustrating in a 1v1 setting. VOOT remains the preferred game for 1v1 arena fighting.

Jet Grind Radio: Where the fuck has this game been all my life. What took me so long. Man. Once it clicks, it's golden. Definitely has those score attack legs. I'm almost done with the story mode and can see me coming back for a lot more. Also Japanese as fuck--SUDDENLY ROB ZOMBIE.

i thought the same in regards to power stone since i always thought it should have been 4p from the beginning. that said, i actually liked the sequel less. my crew played 4p a couple times and it never really clicked. i actually prefer heavy metal geomatrix to be honest. outside the dc, the one piece games and cv judgment are better as well.

Ferr986

Space Channel 5 part 2 is better in every way (except maybe in music) than Part 1, but if you didnt like the first one you'll probably wont enjoy part 2

I have customs of her in every game I can figure out a way to make her in...

I bought VF5 FS on 360 only to play as Sarah-Ulala lol (still worth it, awesome game).

Persona7

Banned
I bought a pair of 2.1 PC speakers the other day, I should be able to plug my dreamcast into the AUX 3.5mm port with a RCA Audio Y cable right? I usually know things like this but I don't have a Y cable to try it out and will probably pick one up in the morning.

The right speaker on my CRT blew out.

Kamek

It's 3:13 AM and here I am just listening to the Shenmue Orchestral soundtrack. Ugh, I'm so tempted to just set up my Dreamcast again right now.

I bought a Dreamcast at a flea market, it seems to work fine but every time I boot up the console it asks me to set the time and date. I've read this as being a battery issue. Am I fucked?

Persona7

Banned
I bought a Dreamcast at a flea market, it seems to work fine but every time I boot up the console it asks me to set the time and date. I've read this as being a battery issue. Am I fucked?

The onboard rechargeable system battery might be dead, or it just lost charge. Did you leave it plugged in for a while?

DigitalOp

Banned
I just got finished playing Soul Calibur and Power Stone with my girlfriend at a friends house. We were getting drunk and I have never felt more happy in my life. I love this girl...
And the Dreamcast was making me remember so many memories... and I got to share them with a new chapter in my life...

And she actually loves Power Stone... My life is so perfect right now... lol

She was kicking ass in Soul Calibur too haha lol. Im gonna train a warrior!

This really inspires me to start going back and rebuying all the Dreamcast titles for my library.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
A world where someone felt they had to add Rob Zombie to the US version to make it sell better.
Indeed. I actually went ahead and grabbed the original version just to have a copy without Rob Zombie.

Plus, dat art

W9q.jpg

Indeed. I actually went ahead and grabbed the original version just to have a copy without Rob Zombie.

Plus, dat art

W9q.jpg

Y'all need that De La Jet Set Radio DX.

delajetsetfny3.jpg

All the American bonus content, superior Euro soundtrack, released only in Japan through Sega Direct

Pretty, full-color printed GD-ROM disc too.
delajetsetcdqo2.jpg

Yall are crazy. I love the whole OST but when Zombie came on it was flipping amazing.

This guy knows what's up! Flawless soundtrack all around, if you ask me.

Anyway, I should play the game again. I haven't played it in a while. I still need to get Jet ratings on the last set of levels.

I did completely restart Jet Set Radio Future again recently, though. The game was the only thing I got with my Xbox back in early 2002. It was totally worth it.

This guy knows what's up! Flawless soundtrack all around, if you ask me.

Anyway, I should play the game again. I haven't played it in a while. I still need to get Jet ratings on the last set of levels.

I did completely restart Jet Set Radio Future again recently, though. The game was the only thing I got with my Xbox back in early 2002. It was totally worth it.

I got stuck really late in the Xbox game. I liked it though and thought it improved on a lot of stuff that bugged me in the original. I need to go back and finish it.

Dereck

Power Stone can be a bit boring alone. PS 1&2 needed to be on PSN/XBLA since 5 years ago with online support, but they don't care about my needs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Y'all need that De La Jet Set Radio DX.

delajetsetfny3.jpg

All the American bonus content, superior Euro soundtrack, released only in Japan through Sega Direct

Pretty, full-color printed GD-ROM disc too.
delajetsetcdqo2.jpg
Yeah, I need to get that as well, but I kind of prefer the flow of the original game. I just don't think the added American levels are any good. Grind Square is particularly bad and goes against the flow.

I loved it at the time but I don't think it holds up as well as JSR. The flow of the game is completely wrecked.

Sixfortyfive

Yall are crazy. I love the whole OST but when Zombie came on it was flipping amazing.
It honestly even sort of works because those extra tracks only kick in once the story shifts focus to the apparently American city.

Yeah, I need to get that as well, but I kind of prefer the flow of the original game. I just don't think the added American levels are any good. Grind Square is particularly bad and goes against the flow.
Both of those levels are great.

Sixfortyfive

I got a stupid question,

I own original Dreamcast GD-Roms. Do any of these emulators work with the real games?
First, I'm not familiar with any of the emulators, and I don't know if they have the option to read from an optical drive to load games. I would not expect that to be the case, though.

Second, you'd have to actually have an optical drive that can read the high-density track on GD-ROM discs where game data is actually written. I'm not sure if there are any such devices other than a Dreamcast that do this out of the box. I DO know that it is possible to tweak some existing CD/DVD drives so that this can be done, but it's been ages since I read up on how to do this and couldn't point you in the right direction for more info.

Dereck

If my Dreamcast can play PAL/NTSC/NTSC-J backups, it can play imported retail games right?

Might sound like an absurd question that I probably already know the answer to, just asking anyway.

If my Dreamcast can play PAL/NTSC/NTSC-J backups, it can play imported retail games right?

Might sound like an absurd question that I probably already know the answer to, just asking anyway.

No. (Almost, they say) any Dreamcast can play burned games. No Dreamcast can play imports out of the box.

canocha

Added two more games to my collection:

Power Stone 2 and Plasma Sword

bVUElfn.jpg

The person that sold me those also had Tech Romancer, I'll probably get it too!

kunonabi

I was running a little low on funds for games and Plasma Sword was cheaper...

Time to contact the seller and get that Tech Romancer!!

please do. since most fighting game ports on the dc are jacked up tech romancer ends up being one of the real must-haves. it's also just plain awesome.

kunonabi

Dreamcast has so many games.

i'm still stumbling onto games i've never played and enjoying them. it's going to be sad day when i no longer have dc games to buy. although if we continue to get these little indie releases that day may never come.

IrishNinja

its weird, i recall my PAL shenmue 2 not even needing a swap disc. i've been using the same one for years though, works like a charm for any J stuff.

televator

Oh helllllll naaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww! GAFfers hatin' on Zombie in Jet Grind Radio?!

You done crossed the line mothafuckas! :p

Seriously though. Zombie is the shit and Dragula fits in the game quite nicely. The game is an ode to rebellious/grungy 90s youth culture and the sound track reflects that.

Teknoman

GET THA FUCK OUTTA HERE, seriously though?

Just get one of those Cheats n codes disc for cheap on ebay. Works perfectly as a boot disc.

Also when did Berserk start going up in price? At least we dont have to worry about Time Stalkers and Blue Stinger...

Yes I do want Blue Stinger at some point.

IrishNinja

haha when i rebought my DC, i got it back with a few games - mostly sports, but finding blue stinger in the lot got me hyped!

it's weird, i know i played it, but i totally repressed it. i keep saying i wanna give it a go one day but then my mind goes nah you should check out Illbleed or something man

Top Bottom