• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

No good Sonic game exists on the Dreamcast though.
=O
I still like Sonic Adventure even though it's aged terribly. And, well Sonic Adventure 2 is just a guilty pleasure of mine. No defending that one.

But those two games, despite being their first efforts into 3D Sonic, are still better than Sonic 2006. No idea how that happened

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
my dreamcast is my only system connected to my sound system. no reason why, just kind of worked out that way, but man the VF3 tunes sound GREAT turned up! the "continue?" jingle does some neat traveling between speakers and everything sounds so weighted.

Seik

Banned
Ahem. Sega Smash Pack has Sonic 1, so there is a good sonic game on Dreamcast. No other ones though.

Damn, you too?! D:

Sonic Adventure 1-2 weren't that bad...or maybe I was too young and easy to impress back then and now I'm trapped in an eternal nostalgia void of feels for these. I was only 13 when SA came out and I already was a big Sonic fan.

At least they were better than many Sonic titles that came out after, so there's that.

Just saw this on youtube
, holy shit. XD

televator

Damn, you too?! D:

Sonic Adventure 1-2 weren't that bad...or maybe I was too young and easy to impress back then and now I'm trapped in an eternal nostalgia void of feels for these. I was only 13 when SA came out and I already was a big Sonic fan.

At least they were better than many Sonic titles that came out after, so there's that.

Just saw this on youtube
, holy shit. XD

Yup, its another one of those games, where in my mid teens, I suddenly realized were not as great as I thought them to be while I was caught up in prelaunch hype.

That Sonic vid... Whaaaaaaaaat the fak did I just watch? Lol

IrishNinja

Are DC game prices on the rise in general? It's been a while since I checked ebay prices of games but Cannon Spike is going for around ~$100 and most other great games in the library are upwards ~$50 or more.

yes, they absolutely have in many cases - berserk, spawn and other stuff took me a bit to replace for cheap.

speaking of, i bought back most of my DC collection this year, and there's still deals to be found - Cannon Spike was $45 on amazon, bout the same price for JP Project Justice. Ikaruga and others were less, i lucked out with Power Stone 2 in a giant lot. don't be frightened by the prices the scrubs are okay with.

Skies was on my list but i've got the JP LE (artbook, pendant thing & flag!), as well as the GC port so i'm good

I am a jerk, I know, but I like the rising prices.

well at least you're aware of it man

Project Justice was hard to find while the Dreamcast was still around. I remember my manager at EBX had hiked up the price of a used copy we had so it cost more than the new SKU.

that was even going on back then? man that shit's always been weird

No good Sonic game exists on the Dreamcast though.

stop this

Ferr986

I really like SA1. Yeah its janky and unpolished as hell, and theres a lot of side optional stuff that sucks (atleast its optional though), but the Sonic levels are really good IMO, with a good mix of platforming and speed.

SA2 its the opposite for me though, way more polished but not as good. Sonic levels are more based on speed and with less platforming, and not only they force the side characters onto the main story, they are even worse in here (worse controls on the shooting sectionts, fucked radar on the Emeral hunt stages...). Chao raising is where SA2 is at.

that was even going on back then? man that shit's always been weird
I know gamestop fluxuates the pricing based on demand. I remember when MvC2 was at the height of its poularity a couple of years before the XBLA and PSN version dropped, they were selling MvC2 on PS2 and Xbox for $70 used. I've heard stories of them gutting new copies of the Shin Megami Tensei Nocture reprint at the game's height of scarcity to sell them for $50 used as opposed to $30 new. Amazon got the reprint shortly afterward and were selling it for $30 new, so that wasn't a good look. And of course more recently, the Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade Chronicles shadyness.

Seik

Banned
I really like SA1. Yeah its janky and unpolished as hell, and theres a lot of side optional stuff that sucks (atleast its optional though), but the Sonic levels are really good IMO, with a good mix of platforming and speed.

SA2 its the opposite for me though, way more polished but not as good. Sonic levels are more based on speed and with less platforming, and not only they force the side characters onto the main story, they are even worse in here (worse controls on the shooting sectionts, fucked radar on the Emeral hunt stages...). Chao raising is where SA2 is at.

I agree with most of your points, but SA2 isn't suffering from a lack of platforming though.

Doczu

So i thought my Dreamcast was dying (kept resetting) and i bought a second one. Turned out it was a matter of some easy home repairing to get the first on running and i ended up with two working units. That's good, a backup console will always be handy.

But i have another problem at hand. Before i get into details, i will say it concerns backups. Yes, i know, that's bad and all that stuff, but believe me on this one, i got my Dreamcast when i was young and stupid and i had burned some games (i will burn in eternall flames for this).

Both of my consoles have no problem reading original discs. I've tried them all and they work just fine. Problems start when i want to launch a backup copy. Some work, some don't. I've cleaned the laser in both consoles, cleaned the discs and some of the ones that didn't work launched, but not all of them. Is it because the discs are bad, or does the laser in both consoles need to be calibrated?

purg3

slept with Malkin
How is Psychic Force 2012? Local used shop has it for $20 and I don't own it yet.

Also, hopefully I should have some pics up later of my modest collection since I haven't posted in here. I've been getting back into DC games lately and would like to finish out some missing titles I've always wanted to get.

purg3

slept with Malkin
My current collection, still missing a few games I want though. Not so much interested in the fighters that have been ported. Currently at 54 games with only one being incomplete (Sonic Adventure 2, should get around to printing cover art since the original was damaged).

dXH8gYa.jpg

efh8Q6D.jpg

ukacloO.jpg

syqdfvX.jpg

Dgpk8n2.jpg

x1BgybF.jpg

aOkahG1.jpg

R4Z9jJA.jpg

FAzYILU.jpg

Ferr986

I agree with most of your points, but SA2 isn't suffering from a lack of platforming though.

Of course. Its not like a DIMPS Sonic.

IMO SA2 is still way better than 2006 or any DIMPS Sonic post SAdv1. Its just that I like the level design in SA1 more.

Holy fuck the prices on Rival Schools 2 is reaching Skies of Arcadia levels.

Isn't Skies only worth like $50, while Project Justice is easily double that?

Sidenote: Is there a cheap way to get replacement CD cases. I have a great collection of something in the neighborhood of 50 games, but like 10-15 of them have deep cracks in the cases with flawless artwork and no scratched discs.

IrishNinja

i adore SA2's OST and will fight anyone but I ain't gonna let it get to me, I'm just gonna creep

Cool, at least I have Irish on my side. :D

BTW, I played SA1 yesterday, did a couple of Sonic stages and got 4 emblems completing missions with Knuckles, now I'm at 86 emblems.

You guys are cray, Sonic Adventure is legit good. :p

damn! i definitely never got that far...been wanting to try back on christmas for the event stuff, which reminds me that i need to get more into Dream Explorer to unlock DLC stuff like Samba songs, etc haha

for real though i know SA1 aged poorly for many since most of what it did was done soon after (and better in certain cases) but my only real knock on it was getting lost & the game not always being clear on where you should be, like when you're controlling ED209 or whatever and you reach that ship...what then?!

I know gamestop fluxuates the pricing based on demand. I remember when MvC2 was at the height of its poularity a couple of years before the XBLA and PSN version dropped, they were selling MvC2 on PS2 and Xbox for $70 used. I've heard stories of them gutting new copies of the Shin Megami Tensei Nocture reprint at the game's height of scarcity to sell them for $50 used as opposed to $30 new. Amazon got the reprint shortly afterward and were selling it for $30 new, so that wasn't a good look. And of course more recently, the Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade Chronicles shadyness.

jesus @ bolded, but what all did they do specifically with Trilogy & Xeno? I just recall them pushing people to trade em in like suckers & flip them for more due to demand

Skies is so good. Did you see the Vyse statue First4Figures is making?

i did indeed!

haha yeah, ordered the LE but ive been thinking about it, and between the aforementioned Eternal Arcadia box's goodies i feel like i've got enough Skies love in my current display, plus it's a bit more than my precious Ryo was & i really do need to pay off other purchases...been debating canceling or checking ebay/etc to sell it when it drops honestly

You ever try to get a Soul Cali versus game going with those?

ddin't even think to try this...oh man this is totally gonna happen now

jesus @ bolded, but what all did they do specifically with Trilogy & Xeno? I just recall them pushing people to trade em in like suckers & flip them for more due to demand
Gamestop got the Xenoblade reprint (people ID'd this as a reprint because the game case was slightly different than the original release) and sold them for $90 "used".
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648963
It was easier to tell the Metroid was a reprint because it was in a regular wii case instead of the steelbook.

IrishNinja

^jesus, that's shady! didn't know that even got reprinted, figures though....wow.

also meant to say props to purg3 for a great collection! youve got a few im missing too (Giga Wang 2, Alien Front Online, Mr Driller etc), nice stuff man

purg3

slept with Malkin
^jesus, that's shady! didn't know that even got reprinted, figures though....wow.

also meant to say props to purg3 for a great collection! youve got a few im missing too (Giga Wang 2, Alien Front Online, Mr Driller etc), nice stuff man

Thanks! Yeah, there are a few more titles for me to add, then I think I'm done for now, especially since a lot of the games like Rez, Ikaruga, etc have been brought to other platforms, I don't see much of a need to get them. At least any time soon.

Thanks! Yeah, there are a few more titles for me to add, then I think I'm done for now, especially since a lot of the games like Rez, Ikaruga, etc have been brought to other platforms, I don't see much of a need to get them. At least any time soon.
So many DC titles have been ported to other systems... Might I recommend Crazy Taxi 2? Yeah, it was ported to PSP, but that was 30fps and the DC original is a much better experience.

any idea if there's a good reason to not go with the cheap JP game? lookin on ebay it's like $10 or so, just wondering if the language barrier matters

I've only played it in the arcade, but I can't imagine there being much of a language barrier.

purg3

slept with Malkin
So many DC titles have been ported to other systems... Might I recommend Crazy Taxi 2? Yeah, it was ported to PSP, but that was 30fps and the DC original is a much better experience.

That's one that was on my list, and yeah true. I just meant that I own it on other platforms so for the time being I don't really need to spend the money on those ones when there are other titles I'd rather get. Also kicking myself for not buying Mars Matrix for $35 when I saw it...

I'm probably going to head down to my local shop tomorrow and pick up a few more DC games on the cheap. I can still get deals on some of the lesser known games, but they know which ones are popular and sought after and usually charge a little above the online going rate. They have a lot of sub $10 games so I'm going to sift through and see if I can find any hidden gems.

kunonabi

How is Psychic Force 2012? Local used shop has it for $20 and I don't own it yet.

Also, hopefully I should have some pics up later of my modest collection since I haven't posted in here. I've been getting back into DC games lately and would like to finish out some missing titles I've always wanted to get.

psychic force is awesome and one of the best fighters on the system.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
from the ign review of vf3tb, suggesting that the US release is definitive for not only the inclusion of 2P Versus:

dLUXMnv.png

am curious if anyone can verify. and how about the PAL version?

I like the Dreamcast version. I got it back in 1999 and I still play it every once in a while. It's not my favorite in the series, though, but I still enjoy it. Its soundtrack is great, too. I always play Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown with the soundtrack from 3 on.

mltplkxr

in the year of out lord 2014 should I buy the DC port of VF3?

VF games are staples of Sega consoles: flagship 1st party games developed by their best team. VF was huge back then as well. So, in the context of collecting, it's good to have a game like that with the console.

petran79

Banned
from the ign review of vf3tb, suggesting that the US release is definitive for not only the inclusion of 2P Versus:

dLUXMnv.png

am curious if anyone can verify. and how about the PAL version?

I have the PAL version and it features 2P versus as well

Seik

Banned
Played a lot of Sonic Adventure during the week-end...finally managed to reach 100 emblems at this moment.

qIqkVqi.jpg

Just a few more...

Played a lot of Sonic Adventure during the week-end...finally managed to reach 100 emblems at this moment.

Just a few more...

Even though I loved that game I never even tried for all the emblems. Getting the higher rankings seemed so hard for me.

Top Bottom