• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

fhqy9Ir.jpg

Mail slowly trickling in. :D

Azzurri

So went into my basement just looking for crap, and I found a bunch of DC shit, from controllers, to light guns, memory cards, rumble packs, and some japanese stuff too.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
can anyone sell me on skies of arcadia? played thru grandia II back in the day but skipped skies.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
So I'm having an issue with MakaronEX in SHenmue, it looks like this:
makarondll0030203.jpg

And I can't figure out why.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So I'm having an issue with MakaronEX in SHenmue, it looks like this:
makarondll0030203.jpg

And I can't figure out why.
looks ok to me?

I'm actually sitting here playing shmoo and listening to my DC chirp along. is there a more charming system quirk? I think that there is not.

octopiggy

Can anyone recommend me a cheap VGA to HDMI converter?

Ebay is flooded with them but you can never tell what the quality is going to be like with stuff like this.
I found some people in an older thread suggesting a Monoprice brand one but I'm in the UK it would cost a fortune to ship it over and then I would need a power adapter on top of that.

I know it's not the best option for image quality, but I don't have a tv with a VGA port and this seems the most convenient option.

Erebus

Is Crazy Taxi 2 fully playable through emulation on PC?

I was messing around with the new mobile game yesterday and then nostalgia hit me and I thought how awesome it would be to play this gem on PC.

Is Crazy Taxi 2 fully playable through emulation on PC?

I was messing around with the new mobile game yesterday and then nostalgia hit me and I thought how awesome it would be to play this gem on PC.

I feel like I've played Crazy Taxi 2 on NullDC before but I think I tried to get it working a couple months ago and couldn't, so instead I settled for using a friend's Steam Family Share copy of CT1 for the PC

Hey guys so awhile back I purchased this VGA box and having recently acquired a CRT haven't played very extensively with it. So tonight I said what the hell lets use this on my hdtv. Everything booted up and worked fine, the image is crisp and more colorful than ever but I noticed this really distinct pattern, segregated vertical columns across the display. Really distracting and kind of an eyesore for most games, heres some terrible pics but I think you can make out the "columns":

photo1_zps54cf7ccc.jpg

photo2_zps8c0ed3e5.jpg

photo3_zps1eefd7de.jpg

photo4_zpsae434646.jpg

Anyone know the cause? Is this standard for VGA on DC? (highly doubt it seeing as though I've never seen this for pc connection to my tv). Is it my tv with some sort of interlace/display issue or whatnot? Is it the vga box itself? I have a feeling its the retro bit vga box but IDK

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hey guys so awhile back I purchased this VGA box and having recently acquired a CRT haven't played very extensively with it. So tonight I said what the hell lets use this on my hdtv. Everything booted up and worked fine, the image is crisp and more colorful than ever but I noticed this really distinct pattern, segregated vertical columns across the display. Really distracting and kind of an eyesore for most games, heres some terrible pics but I think you can make out the "columns":

Anyone know the cause? Is this standard for VGA on DC? (highly doubt it seeing as though I've never seen this for pc connection to my tv). Is it my tv with some sort of interlace/display issue or whatnot? Is it the vga box itself? I have a feeling its the retro bit vga box but IDK
It's probably not the VGA box. I think I own the same model. Test it on an actual CRT VGA monitor and see if it's any different.

Dreamcast VGA is 640x480 pixels inside a standard NTSC 720x480 frame, and flatscreen HDTVs tend to mess up the horizontal resolution (e.g. they just assume VGA is always 640x480 even though the Dreamcast signal is formatted differently), which might be causing what you're seeing.

I think it's best to play Dreamcast using a CRT if you're having those problems. Just a few guesses, it could possibly be interference, poor VGA box, cable maybe, again all guesses.

Try here, I think this person is having similar issues.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...6-Problem-with-Dreamcast-VGA-cable-SYNC-lines

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?41574-Dreamcast-VGA-box-problems

Is it a original VGA box, or is it 3rd party?

Some 3rd party VGA boxes tends to have vertical banding (more or less depending on the brand)

It's probably not the VGA box. I think I own the same model. Test it on an actual CRT VGA monitor and see if it's any different.

Dreamcast VGA is 640x480 pixels inside a standard NTSC 720x480 frame, and flatscreen HDTVs tend to mess up the horizontal resolution (e.g. they just assume VGA is always 640x480 even though the Dreamcast signal is formatted differently), which might be causing what you're seeing.

Hmm well I don't have a CRT monitor present but I do have some other VGA monitors that I could dig up and test. Thanks for the tip, I'll get back with findings when I can.

I think it's best to play Dreamcast using a CRT if you're having those problems. Just a few guesses, it could possibly be interference, poor VGA box, cable maybe, again all guesses.

Try here, I think this person is having similar issues.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...6-Problem-with-Dreamcast-VGA-cable-SYNC-lines

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?41574-Dreamcast-VGA-box-problems

Yep starting to sound like its my display then lol I should test out my laptop via vga and see if has the same vertical banding (which sounds exactly like whats happening). I prefer and primarily play on my Sony Trinitron but unfortunately I'll be off to college again for the fall soon and have to leave that beast behind and go with the HDTV alone, which is why I ask. Gotta have Dreamcast for dorm room brawls.

Trojan X

Banned
from the ign review of vf3tb, suggesting that the US release is definitive for not only the inclusion of 2P Versus:

dLUXMnv.png

am curious if anyone can verify. and how about the PAL version?

PAL version was the same the US but it was 17.5% slower due to no 50/60hz switch. This was why the US was the definitely version compared to the two. The 50/60hz switch was first kicked-off by Soul Calibur and everyone else copied from there. We should all thank Namco for this.

Wools

Neo Member
PAL version was the same the US but it was 17.5% slower due to no 50/60hz switch. This was why the US was the definitely version compared to the two. The 50/60hz switch was first kicked-off by Soul Calibur and everyone else copied from there. We should all thank Namco for this.

Sonic Adventure was the first PAL UK game to have a 50hz / 60hz toggle unless I'm mistaken.

Soul Calibur was not a PAL UK Dreamcast launch game but Sonic Adventure was.

kunonabi

Sonic Adventure was the first PAL UK game to have a 50hz / 60hz toggle unless I'm mistaken.

Soul Calibur was not a PAL UK Dreamcast launch game but Sonic Adventure was.

Well I made a few more purchases:

Konohana true report 1 & 2
July
Puyo Puyo 4
DeSpiria
Gundam Girhen's Greed Blood of Zeon

That brings me up to 124 games.

I thought I had the last el Eldorado game in the cart but apparently not. That should be my final big purchase. I still need crazy taxi 2 and a mouse though. Might also pick up a Japanese copy of Blue Stinger and another copy of Psychic Force if I can't track down a loose manual.

Crazy Taxi 3 was only on Xboxand Windows kunonabi. Would be cool if it came out on Dreamcast, but considering how it performs less than stellar even on Xbox they'd probably have to cut back on effects to make it work.

kunonabi

Crazy Taxi 3 was only on Xboxand Windows kunonabi. Would be cool if it came out on Dreamcast, but considering how it performs less than stellar even on Xbox they'd probably have to cut back on effects to make it work.

There was a crazy taxi 3? Man, most informative typo ever.

mltplkxr

I see the same thing on my HDTV using a "Treamcast" brand VGA box. It looks like it's due to the TV scaler. If I turn off scaling, the issue goes away but the the image is really tiny.

alf717

VGA Stuff

I have the same issue with my VGA box. It does it on an LCD and on a CRT. I never was able to get a smooth looking image using my vga box. I use this box but with a different sticker on the top. I tried using a VGA to HDMI box and got the same results. One of my LCD screen let me mess with clock setttings in the menu and it is the only way to fix the issue but the settings seem to vary from game to game.

mltplkxr

I have the same issue with my VGA box. It does it on an LCD and on a CRT. I never was able to get a smooth looking image using my vga box. I use this box but with a different sticker on the top. I tried using a VGA to HDMI box and got the same results. One of my LCD screen let me mess with clock setttings in the menu and it is the only way to fix the issue but the settings seem to vary from game to game.

Almost bought a similar one by Retro-bit but went with the Tomee cable instead. The Tomee cable works great with with both a 19" and 24" Dell, scaled and 1:1. No bars. It doesn't work on my HDTV though. The TV just doesn't get the signal.

WarRock

I am living with a bunch of people now and my Dreamcast is finally being fixed this week (got plugged on 220V by accident), so I must ask Gaf's recommendations on co-op games for it!

It's our only console for now and I have some single player and versus stuff that came with the console.

mltplkxr

I am living with a bunch of people now and my Dreamcast is finally being fixed this week (got plugged on 220V by accident), so I must ask Gaf's recommendations on co-op games for it!

It's our only console for now and I have some single player and versus stuff that came with the console.

Powerstone. No skill required, lots of fun.

SHL23

Banned

Expendable. Top down shooter thats alot of fun.
Power Stone 2. Fun game, kinda rare and expensive though.
Dynamite Cop and Zombie Revenge. Awesome beat em ups

WarRock

Power Stone 1 and 2 both came with the console (though I'm sure both are pirate copies... at least the 2nd one). Last time the Dreamcast was turned on it was running PS2, actually =)

What I think we have at the moment with multiplayer:

Power Stone 1 and 2
Soul Calibur
Capcom vs SNK
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Sonic Adventure 2 (it has a versus mode IIRC)
Project Justice

As you can see, basically no co-op games haha. Since I brought the Dreamcast here people asked for some but since I never searched for more games besides the ones that came with it, I'm a bit lost.

Alright I got the chance to run some tests.

So I dug up a pc VGA monitor and plugged in the DC. Same vertical banding result was instantly visible though much less severe than my HDTV. However once I changed the CLOCK settings (increased it from default 50 to 80) as alf717 suggested, it fixed it! Pictures are arranged from pre-clock default settings to post increase in Clock settings.

Great so we can basically surmise its a clock/frequency related issue with the HDTV...unfortunately after diving into said tv menu settings and reading the user manual unlike a PC dedicated monitor, I cant find any means/options to change my TV's VGA preset CLOCK settings...

I have a feeling this is a setting I might be able to tamper with if I can somehow delve into the service menu but I'm not confident about it.

Honestly I think I might just make the extra purchase of the Tomee VGA cable and see if that somehow (even though it shouldn't if its a TV Hardware discrepancy) remedies this banding issue.

NR1

Just scored a near mint copy of Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves at Half Price Books in Dallas for $30! Only thing keeping it from "mint status" is the jewel case has suff marks and hairline scratches from pulling it in and out of a bookcase. The manual and disc are mint though!

image-156.jpg

I'm glad you're so chuffed about the condition it's in because thanks to that annoying intermittent audio lag, Dreamcast sure as heck isn't the best way to play that game.

I need to look into the vga banding problem, I get it myself and thought it was due to the vga box not being official, i'll see what I can come up with later today.

NR1

I'm glad you're so chuffed about the condition it's in because thanks to that annoying intermittent audio lag, Dreamcast sure as heck isn't the best way to play that game.

My understanding is that the original GD-Rom doesn't have this issue on the Dreamcast, but rather burned CD-R copies of the game...?

petran79

Banned
My understanding is that the original GD-Rom doesn't have this issue on the Dreamcast, but rather burned CD-R copies of the game...?

from the dumpers:

"The game is also known for stuttering audio from CDR on the Dreamcast. But that is all solved by downsampling the audio some. See this game has two audio tracks that it streams from at the same time cuasing extra stress on the Dreamcast laser since while using CDR's the Dreamcast max read speed is only 6x, this doesn't happen using the orignal media as the GD-ROM drive has 12x read speed access double what is capable using CDR's so it was a MUST to recode audio to obtain a stutter free version. "

"Both are English friendly but the Japanese has a little Kanji but is 100% uncensored. The other version is 100% English while slightly censored. Honestly I never could tell. These were posted by request but he wasn't straight forward about which region he wanted so both are here. PAL patched as well so no regional problems will arise and will run in PAL60 for both releases. "

Top Bottom