• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Timu

source

ajgGxc0.jpg

8ssK9o4.jpg

3iYNPqI.jpg

JE41plX.jpg

9xBb8mR.jpg

a1HdG25.jpg

BmClloq.jpg

7tOCKYi.jpg

cAWX2IG.jpg

VnISDUK.jpg

214xkIv.jpg

8NuWGcs.jpg
That reminds me, I just ordered this game recently for 20 bucks, can't wait to play my 1st Fighting Vipers game!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Biggest gaming regret? Not getting a Dreamcast and playing PSO when it launched.
But then again I was like 10 lol.

The days of PSO on the DC were some of the best gaming days I've ever experienced. It was just...fun. My first true online gaming experience, it was like we were all part of some "the future is now" secret gaming event that truly felt like the next generation of gaming had finally arrived. Something often dreamed about but never fully realized...until PSO. I literally bought a Sega keyboard just for PSO and played (no lie) hundreds of hours of it. The only online game that ever even came close to the addictive ness of PSO was WoW for me, and even then to be honest in some ways I enjoyed PSO more. It certainly had a charm about it, but even the online social nature was something special but yet effective, using emotes and chat bubbles and such.

Yep, PSO was fun. I bought my DC for Soul Calibur on 9-9-99, but the game I cherish the most on the system is PSO.

Spades

Cross post from the anniversary thread (meant to post this here on this thread the other day actually!):

Last week, we spent the night before my best friends wedding with some 4-player Virtua Tennis 2 and Virtua Athlete 2K!

EH4hGey.jpg

It's amazing how much more fun local (retro) multiplayer gaming is. Apart from all the wires, of course!

clem84

Gold Member
Cross post from the anniversary thread (meant to post this here on this thread the other day actually!):

Last week, we spent the night before my best friends wedding with some 4-player Virtua Tennis 2 and Virtua Athlete 2K!

EH4hGey.jpg

It's amazing how much more fun local (retro) multiplayer gaming is. Apart from all the wires, of course!

It's really nice seeing this. I haven't seen 4 people in real life sitting around a Dreamcast in just about 14 years. Brings me back to playing 4 player split screen quake 3 and Virtua Tennis as well as being about 7-8 people sitting in front of Soul Calibur with a few beers and bags of chips. I'll never forget those days.

kunonabi

It's really nice seeing this. I haven't seen 4 people in real life sitting around a Dreamcast in just about 14 years. Brings me back to playing 4 player split screen quake 3 and Virtua Tennis as well as being about 7-8 people sitting in front of Soul Calibur with a few beers and bags of chips. I'll never forget those days.

my group does 4 player gaming nights about once a month. Most of them are DC/Wii/Wii U multiplayer sessions and just tons of fun.

Toxa

EH4hGey.jpg

I can see carrier in this pic

Timu

Why didn't Fighting Vipers 2 come out in the US? The whole game besides the character voices are in English. It's a pretty fun game as well and I do love the ability to break armor off even if it's a bit difficult to do. Anyways screenshots I took, and yes Honey is using dat ass as an attack:

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Why didn't Fighting Vipers 2 come out in the US? The whole game besides the character voices are in English. It's a pretty fun game as well and I do love the ability to break armor off even if it's a bit difficult to do. Anyways screenshots I took, and yes Honey is using dat ass as an attack:
these are great, thanks! land a super ko yet? :)

Pachimari

I had an Asian version of the Dreamcast some years ago with some 40 games, and I sold it.

A big regret I now get to rectify, as I'm buying a European Dreamcast tomorrow. I gotta get used to seeing that blue logo instead of the orange.

Which games should I get?

There's Shenmue, Shenmue 2, Virtua Tennis 2, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure 2, Jet Set Radio, 18 Wheelers, Skies of Arcadia, PowerStone Fighters, Head Hunter, Silent Scope, Space Channel, Chu Chu Rocket and Crazy Taxi 2. And is there anywhere I can buy Dreamcast stuff like light-guns?

Is it possible to hook it up to a HDTV or do I need to connect it to a standard tv?

Pachimari

Hmm, I just bought a used Dreamcast which happens to have some marks and a darker white color. I'm thinking of buying a new white Dreamcast case, and spray it with matte black and see how it goes.

Is this at all possible?

Eh, I dunno. I imported it and was so so so disappointed with it. Terrible sequel, IMO. Wished that Last Bronx got one instead even if I really liked the first FV.

Which games should I get?

There's Shenmue, Shenmue 2, Virtua Tennis 2, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure 2, Jet Set Radio, 18 Wheelers, Skies of Arcadia, PowerStone Fighters, Head Hunter, Silent Scope, Space Channel, Chu Chu Rocket and Crazy Taxi 2. And is there anywhere I can buy Dreamcast stuff like light-guns?

Is it possible to hook it up to a HDTV or do I need to connect it to a standard tv?

All of them except for Silent Scope. Check ebay or Sega forums for DC gear, though I'm personally going to recommend against spending any serious money on light gun games and the guns themselves as I never thought they worked very stably. Shame, too, because Sega had a generally good track record with them on previous systems. Find yourself a VGA cable if your HDTV has the input, or you can go with a converter for VGA to your HDTV's compatible input.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hmm, I just bought a used Dreamcast which happens to have some marks and a darker white color. I'm thinking of buying a new white Dreamcast case, and spray it with matte black and see how it goes.

Is this at all possible?
If you want to be 100% safe, make sure that the two systems you're mixing and matching parts from are the same revision. Flip the console over and check the underside for a big circled number (0, 1, 2) on the bottom-right side of the label. This denotes what version of the console it is.

If you're just exchanging outer shells, this may not make a difference, but I know that some of the internals changed a bit between versions.

Pachimari

If you want to be 100% safe, make sure that the two systems you're mixing and matching parts from are the same revision. Flip the console over and check the underside for a big circled number (0, 1, 2) on the bottom-right side of the label. This denotes what version of the console it is.

If you're just exchanging outer shells, this may not make a difference, but I know that some of the internals changed a bit between versions.
I'll just be moving it from one shell to another shell.

Do you guys know where I can get a black shell that is not the Sports Edition? Can't find anything on eBay.

br3wnor

The days of PSO on the DC were some of the best gaming days I've ever experienced. It was just...fun. My first true online gaming experience, it was like we were all part of some "the future is now" secret gaming event that truly felt like the next generation of gaming had finally arrived. Something often dreamed about but never fully realized...until PSO. I literally bought a Sega keyboard just for PSO and played (no lie) hundreds of hours of it. The only online game that ever even came close to the addictive ness of PSO was WoW for me, and even then to be honest in some ways I enjoyed PSO more. It certainly had a charm about it, but even the online social nature was something special but yet effective, using emotes and chat bubbles and such.

Yep, PSO was fun. I bought my DC for Soul Calibur on 9-9-99, but the game I cherish the most on the system is PSO.

Spot on though for me it was PSO on the original XBOX that I had this experience. Summer before 11th grade, staying up until 6am with my friends, playing with mics. Man, some of the most fun gaming of my life for sure

Pachimari

Is there nowhere I can get a black shell like this?

XvMHc7c.jpg

If that's not possible, I would like to try out mounting the insides of the Dreamcast on the wall.

Just got my old Dreamcast out of the closet and I realized I had no games. I do have my copy of Illbleed though, so that should be fun later tonight!!

How much should I pay for one of the memory paks that goes in the controller these days? I don't have one

FaintDeftone

Man, looking at all of these Sega appreciation threads, it angers me even more than Sega has completely abandoned so many amazing franchises. The company should just close down already -- it is a shell of its former self.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Man, looking at all of these Sega appreciation threads, it angers me even more than Sega has completely abandoned so many amazing franchises. The company should just close down already -- it is a shell of its former self.
"if I can't have everything, let's all just have nothing!"

The DC isn't region free is it?

Is there a mod I can do to play imports?

I use a utopia boot disc to play my japanese games, don't need to mod your console and everything ive tried seems to work perfectly fine

I dont wanna give you a download link incase its frowned upon but some googlefoo should find it for you

The DC isn't region free is it?

Is there a mod I can do to play imports?

The regular Dreamcast isn't region free but you don't need any special mod to run imports. If you search enough you can find isos to various boot CDs (Utopia, Game Shark, Action Replay) that people used back in the day for cheats, running backups and imports.

But swap discs suck. Get a mod chip.
Needless to say, that not everyone want's risk the system installing one.

Top Bottom