• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

As far as peripherals go I own:

2x official Lightguns
2x official Arcade sticks
an official Keyboard
4x official jump packs
8 official VMus
7 official controllers
the microphone
a third party rumble pack and a third party mega memory card

They all work great although 1st player on Confidential Mission never calibrates properly.

I was thinking of picking up the mouse but I hear they aren't very good.

Reading your whole post, the only thing I took away from it was Confidential Mission, and then I remembered how amazing the game was. Sega sure knew how to make a decent lightgun game.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
But is it worth the price of 5 Dreamcast consoles? :p

Absolutely not. I paid $20 for a new one and I'm not even sure it's worth that much. It works, but it feels fragile.

I prefer this one which feels much sturdier. Looks like there are a few re-branded versions available on Ebay for ~$40.

PnjO8yg.jpg

What? The Podracer game was on Dreamcast as well? That's awesome. Was it any better than the n64 version? I loved that game back in the day.

Like many other new Dreamcast owners here, I'm trying to figure out the best place to get a VGA box from. I need it before Pier Solar arrives.

No one on earth can get the PC Version of Episode 1 Racer to work on modern GPUs... so the Dreamcast version is the best to emulate for many reasons above the n64 version.

I never saw any Dreamcast selling for 5 dol...

*look on Ebay*

LOL, okay, what the hell happened? There was a bunch of these not even two years ago and they were something around 40 bucks!

EDIT: Oh, looks like they have a newer version. Looks way better imo, I'm tempted to buy it. D:

That one does look pretty good. I ended up buying a really cheap looking cable version that will probably suck :( if it does I might get one of those instead.

It's surprising it doesn't work on a Sharp but works on my shitty LG that doesn't even accept 240p. Maybe you have a lemon too, did you try it on another TV?

I used to have it hooked to an old pc monitor and it used to work but the monitor went bad :/ . I'll try it again on my tv maybe this weekend.

baphomet

Anyone have any idea where I can find some instructions on building my own Sd adapter for the dreamcast? I want to be able to have it internal so I'm not really wanting to buy one that plugs into the serial port.

iMerc

i love the dreamcast.
one of my fav systems ever. not through rose tinted memories. no 'waxing nostalgic', just pure console awesomeness.
that's saying A LOT considering how mangled the launch was here in australia.

it had one of the WORST console launches in history here.

finally got the system in nov '99 after being delayed for at least a month.
when it finally came out, it came with NO demo disc and NO Internet disc.
the modem and it's infrastructure had not been fleshed out yet.
Couldn't get on the internet and play online until march 2000.
speaking of online play, we had glorious 33.6k instead of 56k.
NO 1st party games were available to play at launch (games didn't arrive till at least a week later AFTER the console was out as far as i remember. imagine having a brand new DC sitting in your living room with NO SEGA GAMES to play.)
VMU's and other accessories weren't in stores until WEEKS later.

and to add insult to injury the official DREAMCAST magazine was discontinued just as the system came out.

despite all that, within the next 6 months i had sonic adventure, soul caliber, wwf attitude, etc to play with and i was a little kid on christmas.
seeing soul caliber for the first time; good lawd.

gamers knew the meaning of patience back then.
i can only imagine the crying and nashing of teeth that would be happening if a new systems was launched like that with today's 'entitled' man-baby gamer population.

how many in this thread were actually there buying games and supporting this system back then; you know, when the system was actually on the market and needed supporting? :)

how many in this thread were actually there buying games and supporting this system back then; you know, when the system was actually on the market and needed supporting? :)

I was supporting it. I got mine in September of 1999. I bought most of my games while the system was still "alive" back then. I currently have 52 games and a quite a few demo discs, as you can see in my collection post two pages back.

I love my Dreamcast to death, and I plan to start importing more games for it soon, too, probably starting with Puyo Puyo~n/4. The only import games I have right now are the King of Fighters 2000, 2001, and 2002. I'd also love to get Twinkle Star Sprites, but it's pretty expensive, so that'll have to wait. I think I have most of the US games I want, though there are still a few more I want to get at some point.

i love the dreamcast.
one of my fav systems ever. not through rose tinted memories. no 'waxing nostalgic', just pure console awesomeness.
that's saying A LOT considering how mangled the launch was here in australia.

it had one of the WORST console launches in history here.

finally got the system in nov '99 after being delayed for at least a month.
when it finally came out, it came with NO demo disc and NO Internet disc.
the modem and it's infrastructure had not been fleshed out yet.
Couldn't get on the internet and play online until march 2000.
speaking of online play, we had glorious 33.6k instead of 56k.
NO 1st party games were available to play at launch (games didn't arrive till at least a week later AFTER the console was out as far as i remember. imagine having a brand new DC sitting in your living room with NO SEGA GAMES to play.)
VMU's and other accessories weren't in stores until WEEKS later.

and to add insult to injury the official DREAMCAST magazine was discontinued just as the system came out.

despite all that, within the next 6 months i had sonic adventure, soul caliber, wwf attitude, etc to play with and i was a little kid on christmas.
seeing soul caliber for the first time; good lawd.

gamers knew the meaning of patience back then.
i can only imagine the crying and nashing of teeth that would be happening if a new systems was launched like that with today's 'entitled' man-baby gamer population.

Not me, but I was 11 years old...

televator

I actually had about 10 games for the DC, which was more games than any system I've had before at the time. All were bought at full retail price.

I was also subbed to the DC magazine.

My rich ass friend bought his in 1999, and barely touched it. I took it off his hands for 150 plus a few games. I did some research started the good stuff (Soul Calibur, JGR, Shenmue, crazy taxi) and invited him over. By the end, One or the other of us had purchased nearly every important release on the system.

Damn if he didn't go out and buy another one immediately. After that, I bought PSO, and many great times were had.

I even had the keyboard, twas good stuff for PSO on a modem.

Yes Boss!

I was living in Paris at the time and the launch was HUGE there. That is why I tend to prefer the blue DC logo...just the way my system looked. Came back to the states and re-bought a non-PAL system and basically every single first-party game except the sports titles. It was an arcade beast. Some of my favorite title were things like 18 Wheeler and Confidential Mission, games like that. Everybody I knew had a DC and Soul Calibur, at the very least. Everybody.

When I look back, not as much as I probably should have. The US launch wasn't as big of a deal for me. Two of my friends imported Dreamcasts during the Japanese launch. I had played most of the US launch titles to death on their systems and was waiting around for the PS2.

One of my roommates picked up that US system at launch, so I was buying games and supporting the software side at least. I didn't buy my own Dreamcast until mid 2001 when I moved out.

So what are the absolute must plays for dreamcast? both exclusive and multi platform at the time???

Im also wondering what multiplatform games run best on dreamcast, for example, are Shadow Man and Legacy of Kain better than the PC versions?

Exclusives are a toughie as most of the best DC games have been ported to other systems, or are arcade ports themselves.

One of my favorite games that is still exclusive to DC is Crazy Taxi 2. I thought it got shit on unfairly when it was released. The maps are more labyrinthine and the traffic is more pervasive than the first game, but it just means you must memorize routes and they designed the new jump button around the traffic.

edit: lol, apparently Crazy Taxi 2 was ported to PSP in 2007. Never mind what I said about it being exclusive.

Dave Long

Banned
I was a firm supporter of the system. I bought it on launch day with NFL 2K, Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure. As you can see in my earlier post, I have a pretty decent collection of games and I still buy things from time to time. I certainly paid out for the big games and not so big games.

I just love all the SEGA hardware and games. It resonates with me in a way no other company's products ever have or probably ever will. Nintendo probably come closest for me today.

Hightower

Banned
So what are the absolute must plays for dreamcast? both exclusive and multi platform at the time???

Im also wondering what multiplatform games run best on dreamcast, for example, are Shadow Man and Legacy of Kain better than the PC versions?

SOUL CALIBER
Sonic Adventure
NFL 2k
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2
Power Stone 1 and 2
SHENMUE (FUCK THE HATERS! I LIKED PETTING THE KITTEN!)

What did you guys buy at launch? We didn't have much of a launch line-up in Australia, iirr I got Blue Stinker, Ready2Rumble and Sega Rally.

I got Sonic Adventure, Power Stone and Trickstyle. Picked up Soul Calibur shortly thereafter.

Still my favorite launch ever.

Soul Calibur
Sonic Adventure
Power Stone
Worms Armageddon
Test Drive Le Mans
Shenmue
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2
Virtua Tennis
Crazy Taxi
Metropolis Street Racer

Dave Long

Banned

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is super on Dreamcast. PC probably looks better, but it plays great on the DC.

As for must play...
Sonic Adventure
Shenmue
Soul Calibur
NFL 2K (with a buddy and two VMUs)
Bangai-O
Ferrari F355 Challenge
Rush 2049
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II
Virtua Tennis
Space Channel 5
Crazy Taxi
Phantasy Star Online
Power Stone 2
Cosmic Smash (Import)

After those...
Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Hydro Thunder
Street Fighter III Third Strike
Cannon Spike
Re-Volt

canocha

Oh yeah found Sonic Adventures 2 for 15€ (with Sonic Adventures 1 as a bonus on the back):

NPxwM0P.jpg

Also got Ecco the Dolphin!

iMerc

I was supporting it. I got mine in September of 1999. I bought most of my games while the system was still "alive" back then. I currently have 52 games and a quite a few demo discs, as you can see in my collection post two pages back.

I love my Dreamcast to death, and I plan to start importing more games for it soon, too, probably starting with Puyo Puyo~n/4. The only import games I have right now are the King of Fighters 2000, 2001, and 2002.

Yea, i saw your DC collection. very impressive!!! :D
i don't currently own that much DC games, but it's purely a 'space' thing. i'm very o.c.d. when it comes to how i organise my dvd/games catalogue.

As i recall, PuyoPuyo4 was the last official game released for DC here in australia. Could be wrong though. That game is of course in my collection. :D

I just love all the SEGA hardware and games. It resonates with me in a way no other company's products ever have or probably ever will. Nintendo probably come closest for me today.

Me too.
i really love the controller button layouts on sega hardware.
i own most of them too; master system 3, megadrive, 32x, megaCD, game gear, saturn, and of course dreamcast.

Yes! Soul Reaver 2 is at its best on DC.
Same with Shadowman. WWF Attitude. Hydro Thunder.
You should grab RE:CV while you're at it. Despite it being available on multiple consoles now, i still see it as a DC classic.

Daingurse

Every time the Wii-U is compared to the Dreamcast I feel a bit ill.

Love the shit out of that console. Still got one hooked up to my TV with a VGA box, I just bought a copy of Skies of Arcadia last week. Me and my brother love to get high and play Rush 2049 or Gauntlet Legends lol.

canocha

Every time the Wii-U is compared to the Dreamcast I feel a bit ill.

Love the shit out of that console. Still got one hooked up to my TV with a VGA box, I just bought a copy of Skies of Arcadia last week. Me and my brother love to get high and play Rush 2049 or Gauntlet Legends lol.

PAL version of Skies of Arcadia does not support VGA.. such a shame.
Is there anyway to force it?

Dereck

Oh yeah found Sonic Adventures 2 for 15€ (with Sonic Adventures 1 as a bonus on the back):

NPxwM0P.jpg

Also got Ecco the Dolphin!
Does the NA really have the worst packaging and cover art for every system? Holy cheese.

It's like PAL and JAP everything regarding cover art and packaging shit on ours.

canocha

Believe me not. PAL version used overscan to fill the screen at 50hz, so there is no way to force PAL60. Same with RE:Code Veronica.

=(

Now that you mention i don't remember either game asking to change to 60hz... oh well 50hz it is :(

Does the NA really have the worst packaging and cover art for every system? Holy cheese.

It's like PAL and JAP everything regarding cover art and packaging shit on ours.

I love the PAL boxes and art even if they are really fragile. I always thought that NTSC were custom cases xD

I was wrong!!

NekoFever

PAL version of Skies of Arcadia does not support VGA.. such a shame.
Is there anyway to force it?
I've been on the lookout for an NTSC copy of Grandia II for the longest time because the PAL version of that drops VGA support as well. Really annoying.

I've been on the lookout for an NTSC copy of Grandia II for the longest time because the PAL version of that drops VGA support as well. Really annoying.

Guys, if I have the original game I don't feel bad about downloading an iso/ripping it so I can apply a patch to play it with VGA support. But that's just me...

televator

I actually prefer the NA cases. Those Pal ones seems hard to replace and I was never a fan of the blue template. What sucks about the NA cases is that even though they look like standard CD cases, they actually aren't. If you replace a broken front case with a regular CD one, it doesn't line up too well and doesn't open and close smoothly.

Guys, if I have the original game I don't feel bad about downloading an iso/ripping it so I can apply a patch to play it with VGA support. But that's just me...

As easy as it is, it comes at a cost. The GD Rom drive wears out with prolonged CD reading.

You can force PAL60 on PAL Grandia II. Never tried to force VGA. Will hook up my Dreamcast and try later.

Only thing, intro music goes unsync forcing 60hz. You won't notice if you never played it in original format, just a couple of minor details. Maybe some other cutscene too.

canocha

You can force PAL60 on PAL Grandia II. Never tried to force VGA. Will hook up my Dreamcast and try later.

Only thing, intro music goes unsync forcing 60hz. You won't notice if you never played it in original format, just a couple of minor details. Maybe some other cutscene too.

I think the voices (especially when casting a spell) also go out of sync.

Well, it works fine in VGA out of the box. Even is listed as VGA compatible in the case, but music sync problems still there in cutscenes. Like when Elena starts to talk even when she still singing in the background.

Crazy amount of detail this game have. Never noticed things like transparent ribbons at Elena outfit before. It's a shame that, as many other developers, this game pushes so little polygons per frame. Not many people get used to the way Dreamcast renderer works, granting minimum overdraw, and they just rely on raw brute force.

NekoFever

I'm a collector so I want the boxed game. Plus my current copy is Japanese.

Thanks for testing it, but I'm pretty sure that sync issue was what I was thinking of. I prefer NTSC games anyway so I'll stay on the lookout for a US copy.

Teknoman

EU Dreamcast cases look so much cooler than the NA. Personally i'd take EU cases and JP cover art.

Anyway, picked up Evolution 2 at one of the local thrift stores today, along with some other stuff. Almost had Capcom vs SNK...but the case was empty.

Sanic

Just dug my DC out of storage. I only could fine the RF adaptor for some reason so image quality is pretty terrible, i'm gonna have to hunt down a better solution.

The internal clock resets everytime I unplug the unit. Is there a battery somewhere I can replace?

kunonabi

It was my primary console at the time. I didn't pick up a Ps2 until Xenosaga Episode 1 came out and even then I waited until I got used one for 40$ off ebay.

My group of friends did most of out multiplayer gatherings with the DC since we were big into fighters. I was big into the single player and arcade stuff too so it took up the vast majority of my gaming time and money.

Just dug my DC out of storage. I only could fine the RF adaptor for some reason so image quality is pretty terrible, i'm gonna have to hunt down a better solution.

The internal clock resets everytime I unplug the unit. Is there a battery somewhere I can replace?

Yup, pretty easy to replace. You only need to remove 4 screws from the case, including the one behind the modem. It's near the gamepads ports.

By the way, I bought mine day one, and never pirated a single game during its commercial life. Not a single one. Bought them or rented.

Persona7

Banned
I am kind of amazed the battery still works in my original dreamcast, it is actually rechargeable so if you don't play the console for a while then it loses charge and comes back to life when you play it.

Sanic

Yup, pretty easy to replace. You only need to remove 4 screws from the case, including the one behind the modem. It's near the gamepads ports.

By the way, I bought mine day one, and never pirated a single game during its commercial life. Not a single one. Bought them or rented.

Cool, thanks. I tried leaving the unit on for a couple of hours to let it charge, but that didn't work.

On another note, I had no idea there were still games being released for the DC. That's really awesome, gonna have to check some out.

Top Bottom