• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

NR1

All this talk about the VGA adapter led me to Google and search for better video solutions for the Dreamcast. Google took me to this very interesting set of videos on YouTube:

UnBoxing - Region Free & VGA Modified Sega Dreamcast & Shenmue HD - Adam Koralik

Keep Dreaming - Sega Dreamcast in HD 1080p with HDMI - Adam Koralik

Keep Dreaming - Sega Dreamcast in HD 720p with Component - Adam Koralik

I am certainly impressed! I'm actually trying to contact the Justin fellow now that did the killer built-in VGA port Mod for Adam. He suggests in his video that this could actually be a much cheaper solution than buying the VGA adapter itself on ebay!?!?

BubbaMc

Bangai-o in 240p on a decent monitor is heaven. Try it some time.

All this talk about the VGA adapter led me to Google and search for better video solutions for the Dreamcast.

Better solutions do not exist. VGA on a decent CRT is as good as you'll get.

NR1

Bangai-o in 240p on a decent monitor is heaven. Try it some time.

Better solutions do not exist. VGA on a decent CRT is as good as you'll get.

I should probably clarify. I was trying to say find better video solutions than my current composite video.

Anyway, the guy that did the VGA mod I posted about above got back to me and said he charges $130 for the mod. Pretty expensive (certainly more than the VGA box prices on ebay), but it is an interesting option.

canocha

Got Maken X:

Fy7qgzt.jpg

Now i'm just missing PSO v1, PSO v2 and Skies of Arcadia from my old collection!

So close!

So much nostalgia. My personal favorite game was Armada, which was the first co-op game I really played with my brother (succeeded by Halo CE)

I think I'm gonna buy a Dreamcast again. Hell, I'd be okay with just owning the controller by itself. That thing was amazing.

That super cheap VGA cable came in this week from Hong Kong. It definitely works. The picture seems pretty clear. The real test though is if it will last. It's got that cheap plastic-y wire coating that I've seen crack and break off a million times on other stuff.

Tain

How tough is it to emulate Shenmue 1/2? I have the games right here. I also want to replace the English audio with Japanese version audio for 1. Can I do this?

I've been wanting to do this for a while but haven't bothered. Would be nice! I'd imagine it wouldn't be too tough, either. Let us know if you get anywhere with it.

1. No Japanese voice track from the DC version. While Japanese is not spoken in China, I think it still helps with the mood and atmosphere and make it feel foreign. On top of this, the English track is significantly worse and without the comedy of the first games dub.

2. Bloom lighting ruins the atmosphere (thankfully 360 emulation glitches so NO BLOOM LIGHTING OCCURS, god bless the 360). This is actually the worst thing for me. It kills the game mood, but playing it on 360 in hd is amazing since it doesn't happen.

183560-shenmue2_004_large.jpg

LOOKS TERRIBLE.

3. No Shenmue 1 data import but I couldn't do this anyways since I'm American and my II DC is EU.

It doesn't reboot. I'll get to a loading screen and it'll just sit there.
Call my opinion wrong if you like, but I prefer the bloom lighting. I'm torn on the VO though. I prefer English Ryo, but Japanese Ren. I'm in the same situation with not being able to import save data.

And with the freezing, in Shenmue 1, does it happen with Disc 3?

tsab

Damn this thread made me nostalgia hard AGAIN.
I'll be in LA in the next month. Where can I find me some dreamcasts? Is there like a local gamestop with old consoles?

Fox Mulder

Got myself a dreamcast again with two controllers and chuchu rocket, had to drive to Charlotte to find a decent game store.

Joins the family of nes, snes, genesis, ps1, n64, and GameCube/Wii consoles I collect for. Who needs next gen?

IrishNinja

i never checked, but...is there any outside chance the EU version of Shenmue 1 had JP language + ENG subs? cause their version of 2 was the definitive one as a result

I loved Shenmue 2 because it was all in Japanese. I got a PAL Dreamcast copy the day it came out and didn't even know it wasn't going to be dubbed. You can't tell the acting is (presumably) terrible which just made the game so much better. One of my favourite games ever.

IrishNinja

heh, won the sega fishing rod + bass fishing for just over $10, both CIB...should be fun

does anyone know if third party Samba de Amigo maracas are good/hold up okay? i'm looking at brand IB, and they're at $40 for 2 of em + pad & samba, pretty good deal but the official ones are only about $20 more, what do you guys think?

Teknoman

So...after not having turned on my dreamcast since I got that cheat code/import boot disc awhile back...it just decided to stop working.

The orange light comes on, but the system doesnt display anything, disc isnt spinning, and you cant feel any air from the vents. Guess that rules out power cable or AV dying.

Not my launch Dreamcast (traded that off back in 01 for a PS2...heh) but it still sucks to have a system die. Especially since it makes you feel like the rest could die at any minute.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
heh, won the sega fishing rod + bass fishing for just over $10, both CIB...should be fun

does anyone know if third party Samba de Amigo maracas are good/hold up okay? i'm looking at brand IB, and they're at $40 for 2 of em + pad & samba, pretty good deal but the official ones are only about $20 more, what do you guys think?
From what I've heard they're pretty crappy. But I've only used the official ones so I can't compare. I'd think it's worth the extra for the official ones.

And try to find a copy of ver. 2000. It's so much better.

So...after not having turned on my dreamcast since I got that cheat code/import boot disc awhile back...it just decided to stop working.

The orange light comes on, but the system doesnt display anything, disc isnt spinning, and you cant feel any air from the vents. Guess that rules out power cable or AV dying.

Not my launch Dreamcast (traded that off back in 01 for a PS2...heh) but it still sucks to have a system die. Especially since it makes you feel like the rest could die at any minute.

Possible fix is to open the Dreamcast and bend the pins that connect the power board to the motherboard back into contact with the socket. Happens occasionally to my Dreamcast.

Top Bottom