• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sturmwind (Dreamcast Shmup) gets a release date, finally. Out April 24th.

It's only been, you know, like three years since a lot of people pre-ordered.

Gameplay footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GnhhRBZkrA

Order page:

http://www.redspotgames.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=19

Just got this email:

Antritt zur Weltenrettung!

The fierce enemy‘s troops have already reached our world‘s doorsteps and we are running out of time! Our reconnaissance drones have detected 16 promising locations for our search of „Mother“, the planet of our living ancestors. After several development steps by Duranik and redspotgames the launch date for your mission is clear.

Sturmwind pilots, your all-dominant mission will begin on April 24th 2013. All documents will be sent to you until this very date.

Fight over 20 boss enemies in 16 levels. In addition to the so-called “Award Trophy System”, there will also be an internet highscore list in which your performance can compete against each other worldwide. Your wings of steel are now our last resort.

Stay ready for further instructions. Over and out.

You can find further information on our Facebook page www.facebook.com/redspotgames

With best regards

redspotgames customer support
p.o. box 31 04 64 / 80104 munich / germany

shop: www.redspotgames.com/shop
flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/redspotgames
twitter: www.twitter.com/redspotgames
facebook: www.facebook.com/redspotgames

If I still had a dream cast I would have picked this up.

I can never understand developing a game for a completely dead system.

If I still had a dream cast I would have picked this up.

I can never understand developing a game for a completely dead system.

It could be developer passion for an old system. It could also be that when you release a game for Genesis or Dreamcast, you're guaranteed a pretty large (by indie standards) number of orders from collectors and completionists who have to own everything that's coming out. You also get a lot of attention because "OMG it's for the Sega!!" from mainstream sites and blogs.

I don't know about the guys behind Sturmwind since it's their first/only release, but the two brothers that pump out all the games for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast (NG:Dev.Team / Hucast Games) are probably making a nice wad of cash off fans. I think it's kind of scammy and I'm not sure how much love they're putting into their products anymore, but it works. I mean, they just released GunLord and now they have Ghost Blade, DUX 1.5, ReDux, and NEO XYX coming out in the next year or so. And they're selling fast.

Slermy

If you did it through Play-Asia you'll get it sooner than the people who bought through RedShitGames.

Actually, looks like I went with NCSX this time.

I don't know about the guys behind Sturmwind since it's their first/only release, but the two brothers that pump out all the games for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast (NG:Dev.Team / Hucast Games) are probably making a nice wad of cash off fans. I think it's kind of scammy and I'm not sure how much love they're putting into their products anymore, but it works. I mean, they just released GunLord and now they have Ghost Blade, DUX 1.5, ReDux, and NEO XYX coming out in the next year or so. And they're selling fast.

Holy hell, I think I've only heard about one of those titles.

I'm confident it's going to look stunning, at least. We'll see how it plays! :)

Yeah, that's the question. Will it play anywhere near as well as it looks?

It could be developer passion for an old system. It could also be that when you release a game for Genesis or Dreamcast, you're guaranteed a pretty large (by indie standards) number of orders from collectors and completionists who have to own everything that's coming out. You also get a lot of attention because "OMG it's for the Sega!!" from mainstream sites and blogs.
True. I think Atari stuff is similar, just on certain sites (Atari-age) and not here; still, there's a reason why the Atari systems all have homebrew games, while lots of others only have a very few at most: Atari still has a fanbase willing to buy games, and it's easy to publish for those systems. The Dreamcast and Genesis are similar. (On that note, the main reason the Saturn isn't with them is because it's NOT easy to publish for that one...)

I don't know about the guys behind Sturmwind since it's their firsts/only release, but the two brothers that pump out all the games for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast (NG:Dev.Team / Hucast Games) are probably making a nice wad of cash off fans. I think it's kind of scammy and I'm not sure how much love they're putting into their products anymore, but it works. I mean, they just released GunLord and now they have Ghost Blade, DUX 1.5, ReDux, and NEO XYX coming out in the next year or so. And they're selling fast.
GunLord was an absolutely amazing, amazing game, and was maybe 2012's best game, but those upcoming ones... they're all shmups, and yeah, I remain to be convinced. NG Dev Team and HuCast (they're not the same team,they are different yes?)'s shmups so far have been pretty average... (Also, wasn't GunLord by some other guys, only published by NG Dev Team?)

Yeah, that's the question. Will it play anywhere near as well as it looks?

I think Sturmwind was about to be a big disaster before he got feedback that the game was too easy. Even hard looked like a snoozefest before he added more bullets and junk.

True. I think Atari stuff is similar, just on certain sites (Atari-age) and not here; still, there's a reason why the Atari systems all have homebrew games, while lots of others only have a very few at most: Atari still has a fanbase willing to buy games, and it's easy to publish for those systems. The Dreamcast and Genesis are similar. (On that note, the main reason the Saturn isn't with them is because it's NOT easy to publish for that one...)

I remember seeing the entries in a Saturn homebrew contest and it was all pretty primitive. It won't ever get anywhere, either, not when there's another Sega system with the same retro appeal, more power, and the ability to run homebrew code with modification.

GunLord was an absolutely amazing, amazing game, and was maybe 2012's best game, but those upcoming ones... they're all shmups, and yeah, I remain to be convinced. NG Dev Team and HuCast (they're not the same team,they are different yes?)'s shmups so far have been pretty average... (Also, wasn't GunLord by some other guys, only published by NG Dev Team?)

I love GunLord. Nice change of pace, even though I'm not a Turrican fan. GunLord was entirely by NG:DEV.TEAM, though.

As far as I know, NG:DEV.TEAM is two brothers plus some other guys, and then Hucast is one of those brothers plus some other guys except that the other brother helps out occasionally. So they're very similar teams with a lot of overlap. I think Hucast's only game so far (DUX) sucked ass and I'm not optimistic for DUX 1.5 or ReDUX.

Honestly, the game I'm most excited for is Watermelon Game's Project Y for the Sega Genesis. Because a) it's a beat-em-up instead of a shmup or RPG and b) because Watermelon Games has some damn ace programmers. Pier Solar really slammed the hardware and I'm confident Project Y will as well.

Unlike NG:DEV.TEAM, whose games are coded for NEO-GEO and therefore end up looking kind of underwhelming on Dreamcast. (Sturmwind dodges this bullet.)

Don't get me wrong, I like NG's games but I think they're about to jump the shark with all these kind of middlin' looking shmups coming down the pike.

Like a little bitch, though, I have them all preordered. :(

I think Sturmwind was about to be a big disaster before he got feedback that the game was too easy. Even hard looked like a snoozefest before he added more bullets and junk.
Definitely, yeah. It was looking too simple at first... but hopefully the several years of delays have paid off! I mean, Sturmwind was first announced 2 1/2 years ago.

I remember seeing the entries in a Saturn homebrew contest and it was all pretty primitive. It won't ever get anywhere, either, not when there's another Sega system with the same retro appeal, more power, and the ability to run homebrew code with modification.
You mean without modification. :p I mean, the problem is that most Saturns need modification to play CD-Rs, while most Dreamcasts do not.

And yeah, that the Dreamcast is also more popular and sold better in the West (and worldwide, by a slight margin) helps too of course. And that it's easier to program for as well. I think that last one has hurt the N64 too... it has no retail homebrew releases. Well, neither does the SNES, though it's getting one sometime soon, finally... though it is a '90s cancelled game, not something entirely new.

I love GunLord. Nice change of pace, even though I'm not a Turrican fan. GunLord was entirely by NG:DEV.TEAM, though.
Oh, it was? Okay. But yeah, I like Turrican quite a bit (well, not the original Turrican, but all the other games in the franchise), so I loved Gunlord...

As far as I know, NG:DEV.TEAM is two brothers plus some other guys, and then Hucast is one of those brothers plus some other guys except that the other brother helps out occasionally. So they're very similar teams with a lot of overlap. I think Hucast's only game so far (DUX) sucked ass and I'm not optimistic for DUX 1.5 or ReDUX.
Ah. I didn't know the two teams were so closely connected.

Honestly, the game I'm most excited for is Watermelon Game's Project Y for the Sega Genesis. Because a) it's a beat-em-up instead of a shmup or RPG and b) because Watermelon Games has some damn ace programmers. Pier Solar really slammed the hardware and I'm confident Project Y will as well.
I'm quite hopeful about that one as well. They have several other projects earlier in development too... mostly Genesis, but maybe also one SNES?

Unlike NG:DEV.TEAM, whose games are coded for NEO-GEO and therefore end up looking kind of underwhelming on Dreamcast. (Sturmwind dodges this bullet.)

Don't get me wrong, I like NG's games but I think they're about to jump the shark with all these kind of middlin' looking shmups coming down the pike.

Like a little bitch, though, I have them all preordered. :(
I haven't, I have rarely bought homebrew games; I do have Pier Solar (for Genesis) and Gunlord, but that's about it. The shmups... most of them just don't look interesting enough. Sturmwind interests me more than any of the other ones, though, and I might get it.

And on that note, I think that NG Dev Team have made a big mistake by not re-printing Gunlord... it sold out and now is expensive. If they made another run, it would sell, guaranteed!

You mean without modification. :p I mean, the problem is that most Saturns need modification to play CD-Rs, while most Dreamcasts do not.

I thought I said that...

I haven't, I have rarely bought homebrew games; I do have Pier Solar (for Genesis) and Gunlord, but that's about it. The shmups... most of them just don't look interesting enough. Sturmwind interests me more than any of the other ones, though, and I might get it.

I'm also interested in seeing what they do for Pier Solar on Dreamcast. And then there's also the twin FPS games of Hypertension and SCOURGE hopefully coming for the Dreamcast from TDGMods. So that's some variety, at least.

I thought I said that...
You said
not when there's another Sega system with the same retro appeal, more power, and the ability to run homebrew code with modification.
With modification, at the end? The DC doesn't need modification...

I'm also interested in seeing what they do for Pier Solar on Dreamcast.
I don't think I'll re-buy Pier Solar, I already spent $50-plus on that game... but for people who don't have it, it's good that it's getting ports.

And then there's also the twin FPS games of Hypertension and SCOURGE hopefully coming for the Dreamcast from TDGMods. So that's some variety, at least.
I haven't heard of these. What are they?

IrishNinja

nice! what sucks about these things is that i tend to wait for some impressions (classic game room if nothing else, heh) but by the time i hear GunLord, Pier Solar etc are interesting, they're like $100 on ebay. this one looks great though, hopefully it holds up cause the other SHMUPS falcon & you guys listed, i don't hear much about them.

*edit well $45 right now isn't too bad at least

You said

With modification, at the end? The DC doesn't need modification...

I don't think I'll re-buy Pier Solar, I already spent $50-plus on that game... but for people who don't have it, it's good that it's getting ports.

I haven't heard of these. What are they?

Eh, meant to say 'without' modification.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Isotope-TDGMods/232903863419077

Kind of a rough development cycle with several restarts/disbandings, but I think they'll be releasing products eventually.

IrishNinja

cross-posting Genesis Knight's impressions, cause now i really want this thing:

Okay, so some bulleted thoughts:

• Makes NG:DEV.TEAM's games look 16-bit. So much going on in the level backgrounds.
  • Sound effects are a bit meh. Kind of muffled and muddy.
  • Music is the same catchy Eurotrance we've seen in most of these indie shmups. Good stuff. Wish I'd bought the version with the OST.
  • Hard difficulty is no joke, for those of us worried it would be too easy.
  • Lots of neat little touches here and there like lens flares and killer explosions.
  • The bosses are pretty imaginative, and very tough because they fill the screen and hurt you on contact.
  • Most of my deaths come from running into things I didn't know I couldn't fly over. The difference between background and foreground is hard to determine and kind of trial-and-error. My biggest complaint.
  • Definitely has some unpolished assets, like the little chick who talks to you in German during levels. Ugly model.
  • Weapon system is very addictive since you can only upgrade weapons by getting a pickup while firing that gun. Takes a second to make powerups change weapon type and they aren't up very long, so it's a tense little moment trying to amp your weapons.
  • Love that you can select levels you've already beaten in Normal mode. Nice that I don't have to play the first level over and over like in normal shmups.
  • Weapons could have used more variety but you can charge shot them, change your drone positions, and switch them forward/backward. So plenty of tactical options.
  • Will take a while to beat all the Normal Mode levels on Hard difficulty.
  • If you've bought and enjoyed any other Dreamcast indie shmups, this will be a no-brainer purchase.

Top Bottom