• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Nice setup! Can you add some rubber or something to the bottom to keep your stick from sliding?

The title 'Under Defeat' always makes me smirk when I hear it. It sounds broken, or mistranslated or something.

Gunbird 2 also runs in tate mode.

There's already 4 rubber pads on the bottom, but it didn't provide much friction. Could be worn out. Fresh ones might work better.

Sidenote, the stick shipped with an extra VMU, and it had saves dating back to 2000-2002. Was a trip seeing those savefiles for Sakura Taisen, Garou, MvC. Felt a sense of connected-ness right then. Sadly had to delete them to make room for all the arcade ports I'll be playing soon.

Arcade stick finally came in from Japan. Gave it a run through Third Strike, but it kept slipping around my desk. No worries, I now have my Naomi@home setup up and running.

I need to find a smaller CRT because this Trinitron is jutting out too far into my face. Can't be good for the eyes. Might have to go the VGA route with a small monitor and the works. Anyways, glad to get the HKT-7300 in. Might end up adding some weight onto the base to make it heavier. Any other TATE game recommendations?

I can't look at this picture cause Im too scared thinking about my trinitron falling off its shitty desk back home. Pray for my shelves and desk please.

I should try this with Gunbird 2 then sixteen-bit lol.

So I got a bunch of Dreamcast PAL game cases broken while in transit in the mail. These things are so fragile they'll break if you give them a menacing look...

Does anyone know where I can get some replacements?

fenners

So I got a bunch of Dreamcast PAL game cases broken while in transit in the mail. These things are so fragile they'll break if you give them a menacing look...

Does anyone know where I can get some replacements?

I've been looking for replacements for a year :( No good reasonably priced source I can find (especially here in the States). I've been tempted to buy some cheap horrible games for 'em but the price to ship is ridiculous....

televator

You could go with custom DVD cases. They look really good. I recommend putting all the CD case artwork and manual inside the DVD case as well.

Conezays

Got the Sega Fighting Stick for $70 USD in good condition so pretty excited to finally try it out. Will post impressions in a couple days :) Looking forward to testing it out on some shmups.

Also yeah, Gunbird 2 looks fantastic in tate on my PVM. The scart cable has been a bit underwhelming otherwise for most stuff though; I guess I need to grab the VGA cable at some point.

Anyone have any opinions on this bundle and the games within it? Worth picking up? Overpriced? (Gunlord, Redux, Dux 1.5, Neo XYX, Ghost Blade)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272214172269

NDPsycho

Got the Sega Fighting Stick for $70 USD in good condition so pretty excited to finally try it out. Will post impressions in a couple days :) Looking forward to testing it out on some shmups.

Also yeah, Gunbird 2 looks fantastic in tate on my PVM. The scart cable has been a bit underwhelming otherwise for most stuff though; I guess I need to grab the VGA cable at some point.

Anyone have any opinions on this bundle and the games within it? Worth picking up? Overpriced? (Gunlord, Redux, Dux 1.5, Neo XYX, Ghost Blade)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272214172269

Seems about right on the price. Gunlord seems to have come down since I got mine a couple years ago. If you haven't already, check out Sturmwind. It's probably my favorite of these independent releases.

You could go with custom DVD cases. They look really good. I recommend putting all the CD case artwork and manual inside the DVD case as well.
Nah, for me it has to be original or bust. :p The CDs aren't loose inside or anything like that, so I'll just hold cases in place with transparent sleeves. I just really want my cases in one piece.

Btw, these things are godsend for PAL game collectors.

Conezays

Seems about right on the price. Gunlord seems to have come down since I got mine a couple years ago. If you haven't already, check out Sturmwind. It's probably my favorite of these independent releases.

Cool, thanks for the recommendation (I've heard of it, just haven't played). Anyone else have any thoughts on the above ebay listing? Gunlord seems like a well-revered game.

My arcade stick just arrived and feels great. Besides some minor rusting on the metal part of the stick it looks like new. The joystick and buttons feel great besides my A being a little sticky; not a huge deal though.

Cool, thanks for the recommendation (I've heard of it, just haven't played). Anyone else have any thoughts on the above ebay listing? Gunlord seems like a well-revered game.

My arcade stick just arrived and feels great. Besides some minor rusting on the metal part of the stick it looks like new. The joystick and buttons feel great besides my A being a little sticky; not a huge deal though.

I also got this stick in last week and I actually took apart the buttons and gave it a clean because it felt sticky initially. The buttons still aren't as sensitive as I'd like (doesn't register when I tap it on the very edges), but I don't think I'd be doing the mods for putting in real arcade button because that'd involving dremeling the holes wider.

Conezays

I also got this stick in last week and I actually took apart the buttons and gave it a clean because it felt sticky initially. The buttons still aren't as sensitive as I'd like (doesn't register when I tap it on the very edges), but I don't think I'd be doing the mods for putting in real arcade button because that'd involving dremeling the holes wider.

Yeah, I'll have to give it a cleaning soon. What did you use? This video includes using bicycle oil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja_KMrXGlD0

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm thinking about buying a new DC console soon. Should I go with the OG white, or the Sega Sports black system? I'm not sure if I think the Sega Sports logo looks too tacky...

But then, the white has a tendency to yellow.

I'm thinking about buying a new DC console soon. Should I go with the OG white, or the Sega Sports black system? I'm not sure if I think the Sega Sports logo looks too tacky...

But then, the white has a tendency to yellow.

My brother recently got a white one that is still white.

NR1

you can polish off the sega sports logo and pretend you have one of the rare JP black ones

Just got a DC bundle off Craig's List... Jez, some people need to be beaten upside their head for what they do to their game discs. I have a MINT copy of Crazy Taxi from release day, but the copy included in this bundle is a Greatest Hits copy and it looks like someone used it for a hockey puck. It's the only game of the 47 that doesn't play--- it looks like it may actually be broken (not a scratch) on the outer edge. The guy kept all his games in a disc binder, but at least he had enough sense to hold onto the manuals and paper jewel case inserts--- plastic jewel cases were tossed though.

Tailzo

I use those too for just about everything else, but PAL Dreamcast cases are just way too fragile. These at least offer some protection against bumps, and not just scratches.

Yes I agree. I just gave up and threw away most of my PAL DC game boxes.

Anyway, what is the best graphics plugin or settings in 2016? I'm finding a lot of old info while googling. I have a gtx 970 with 16 GB ram, and an i7, so I should be able to run anything. But my games does not look nearly as good as what I can see online. How do I enable any form of AA?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Are all the Dreamcast games the same across regions? Been playing my pal and NA-games on a japanese system, and all the text is now in japanese. Guess that means all games are the same and that it doesnt matter which version of a game i get?

petran79

Banned
Are all the Dreamcast games the same across regions? Been playing my pal and NA-games on a japanese system, and all the text is now in japanese. Guess that means all games are the same and that it doesnt matter which version of a game i get?

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Japanese version has blood and all the original manga names, as opposed to the Western version. Also VGA cable compatible

fenners

Totally depends on the game.

Theonik

No, but games can tell what configuration your system is in and adjust accordingly, but different regional versions of some games, especially PAL can have major differences.

I've been wondering this to. Been wanting to purchase some PAL games but always stopped myself due to lack of documentation on a specific game running at 50hz in Pal versions or not.

Anyone aware of a onestop master list for region differences with PAL libraries at least?

Bar81

the only cool looking jp black DC was that S.T.A.R.S. RE one though

It's not black. More like dark blueish/purple. The Clare looks a lot better. Out of the 8 LEs I have, the Super Black and Silver are my favorites given that they make the DC look pretty sleek. Maziora is probably the most interesting though given that it's a car paint finish on a video game system.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times, but are any of the RE games on DC the definitive version?

Do some games have known issues with boot discs?

I've been importing some Japanese games to play on my US DC and using the Utopia disc to boot them. I haven't had any issues until now; Puyo Puyo 4 just doesn't want to play. It boots and then just hangs at a black screen. The disc looks ok, and something is happening because it created vmu data. It just won't play.

Theonik

I've been wondering this to. Been wanting to purchase some PAL games but always stopped myself due to lack of documentation on a specific game running at 50hz in Pal versions or not.

Anyone aware of a onestop master list for region differences with PAL libraries at least?
For DC the definitive output method is VGA 480p. All PAL games that support VGA will also do 60Hz for that mode since VGA doesn't support 50Hz. There are several guides out there for DC VGA compatibility.

Edit:

I've been importing some Japanese games to play on my US DC and using the Utopia disc to boot them. I haven't had any issues until now; Puyo Puyo 4 just doesn't want to play. It boots and then just hangs at a black screen. The disc looks ok, and something is happening because it created vmu data. It just won't play.
Have you tried different output methods?

fenners

There's gogle results about out puyopuyo not working with utopia dating back to 2002... Try another bootdisc like gameshark maybe?

Conezays

I just used water and soap. Some lubricant should be a good idea, but I don't want to pop out the buttons again and wear out their plastic tabs. Anyways, let us know what you're playing because the stick is breathing new life into the DC for me.

Cool, I'll have to get around to opening it up and cleaning it soon, just been busy. I used the stick so far on a handful of shmups: Chaos Field, Under Defeat, Gunbird 2, etc. It's definitely nicer to use than the DC's stock dpad, I just need to get used to using it versus a regular controller. I'm spoiled with the excellent Model 2 Genesis controller as well as the Saturn 3D Control Pad (my personal favourite).

Tain

cool thanks!

anyone vouch for VOOT dc? should i stick with the xbla version?

XBLA version is better in every way (all the new 5.66 stuff, color customization, nicer visuals, better controls both in terms of possible gamepad bindings and in potential peripherals) except for the lack of split screen.

oneida

XBLA version is better in every way (all the new 5.66 stuff, color customization, nicer visuals, better controls both in terms of possible gamepad bindings and in potential peripherals) except for the lack of split screen.
oh well! xbla it is.

picked up doa 2 since the shop had it for $10 and the copy i had growing up is scratched to shit.

also got my old soul calibur disc resurfaced but it might also be beyond repair. fingers crossed!

when i was 12 i ruined cds

Utopia boot discs aren't actually very good if you want to play genuine imports. For that you want to use cheat disks such as Action Replay CDX or Code Breaker.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im using Code Breaker because that will also force all games into VGA Mode, so its the perfect boot disc.

Theonik

cool thanks!

anyone vouch for VOOT dc? should i stick with the xbla version?
It's not bad. But the XBLA version is based on a newer version of the codebase and is better in pretty much every way. I wouldn't discourage picking up the DC version though.

Controls are worse on DC with the standard pad though and I'd greatly encourage picking up twin sticks for either version, but DC especially.

Tain

Controls are worse on DC with the standard pad though and I'd greatly encourage picking up twin sticks for either version, but DC especially.

Yeah. It's a relatively minor thing, but with the 360 port you can bind RB/LB to rotate left/right, which is 10000x better than the spotty analog stick rotation on DC.

The end result is still not twin stick good, obviously, but I find it pretty playable.

oneida

NEC 71V

xqToqoch.jpg

it's trisync, 15,24 and 32. this means i can connect my VF3 board to it directly via VGA. there's still some work to do on that though, so here's DC.

there's a YouTube video about this monitor:
https://youtu.be/rbIrNzV_k_E

i paid $35 for a NIB one, shipped.

Cedric

150$ for a dreamcast with Skies of Arcadia, Power Stone 1, Soul Calibur, Grandia 2 and Spawn. I'm thinking this is very worth it?

Top Bottom