• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Conezays

Yes. I used to have amazing 21 inch Sony professional CRT computer monitor, but that eventually kicked the bucket. Now I use a middle of the road old 19" Viewsonic CRT from a yard sale. Have it set up on a secondhand KVM switch with my Xbox 360 over VGA for Tate STGs like Raiden Fighters Aces and Espgaluda II.

Thanks for the response (and Alf). I bet that looks fantastic, just not sure I can justify another monitor in my office, lol. I have my 4K computer monitor, PVM, CRT, and a Vectrex. Granted, I would love to see how the Dreamcast looks on VGA.

IrishNinja

Was Illbleed actually any good? I feel like I've asked this before. I remember it looked awesome in the first couple of previews in Dreamcast magazine, but I seem to recall it getting a lukewarm reception upon release.

always wanted to know myself, meant to burn acquire a copy for a halloween playthrough - but i'm going in with heavily b-rated expectations, friends like Mzo have sworn it's not nearly worth the asking price

you know which one was on GameSack recently? Carrier, never did play it but it looked neat

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
always wanted to know myself, meant to burn acquire a copy for a halloween playthrough - but i'm going in with heavily b-rated expectations, friends like Mzo have sworn it's not nearly worth the asking price

you know which one was on GameSack recently? Carrier, never did play it but it looked neat

I played the demo way back. I remember nothing. I should take another look at it, though, because it seemed interesting.

Now that I know that Illbleed's from the Blue Stinger guys, it's off the list.

Gyrian

I played Illbleed back when it was new (still own that same copy, even). It's fantastic if you can find joy in completely insane, unique B tier software. If you add to this love for cheesy horror movies, you'll freaking love it. It's janky as hell, but it knows it. If its sense of humor clicks with you, it is unforgettable. What hurts it most is that its rules are both opaque and obtuse when you first get started, so you'll die a lot and not get any of it. Past that hurdle, the game makes a lot of sense within its insanity.

Taken the above into account, I highly recommend it. :D

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was bored, so I threw in Soul Calibur and played that game for the first time in more than a decade. Probably haven't played the game since 2001.

How... how the hell was this game so good? The game still looks good, and it's fun as hell. Like, it just feels good to play. And it's a really substantial game. Like, I'm remembering how many unlockable modes and characters and stages there were... and then there's the mission mode, which was excellent. There's a lot of stuff here. Never felt like the games that came after came even close... Soul Calibur II was good, but I still think Calibur 1 feels the best to play.

I really miss this era of fighters. There's not really much focus on being a "competitive" game -- it's just about having a good time. And for me, having a shit-ton of unlockables just for playing through the game a bunch of times is still really exciting.

tumblr_o5mozuY0o91t51kf8o1_540.jpg

tumblr_o5mozuY0o91t51kf8o2_540.jpg

Teknoman

I was bored, so I threw in Soul Calibur and played that game for the first time in more than a decade. Probably haven't played the game since 2001.

How... how the hell was this game so good? The game still looks good, and it's fun as hell. Like, it just feels good to play. And it's a really substantial game. Like, I'm remembering how many unlockable modes and characters and stages there were... and then there's the mission mode, which was excellent. There's a lot of stuff here. Never felt like the games that came after came even close... Soul Calibur II was good, but I still think Calibur 1 feels the best to play.

I really miss this era of fighters. There's not really much focus on being a "competitive" game -- it's just about having a good time. And for me, having a shit-ton of unlockables just for playing through the game a bunch of times is still really exciting.

Right there with you man.

IrishNinja

love 16-bit's launch party pics, and chac's Soul Calibur love...you're right, i don't do competitive fighters either but man i played the crap out of that one

I've been on a Dreamcast games buying spree of sort. I'm cross-posting from the monthly pick-ups thread, because "why not?".

Yu Suzuki gameworks! damn man, that's right up there with the Segagaga LE for me, congrats!

CXFwdPo.jpg

Didn't expect to pick this one up

woof, that couldn'tve been cheap...great one though!

Yu Suzuki gameworks! damn man, that's right up there with the Segagaga LE for me, congrats!
Thanks! I have the "dorikore" print-run (I was smart enough to import it back in the day), but I I'm still trying to find the LE at a "not outrageous" decent price...

Didn't expect to pick this one up

What a coincidence, me neither xD! Got a great deal on ebay, I essentially managed to snatch it as soon as the listing went up. Just went to the post office to get it, this morning.

IrishNinja

^look up anything you can first, man! ive a few of those for varying systems, and don't often use them but i wanna say there's talk online about compatibility/etc in some

Timu

^look up anything you can first, man! ive a few of those for varying systems, and don't often use them but i wanna say there's talk online about compatibility/etc in some
Oh, well, for 2D games I would prefer it. Even for some 3D games as well.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's a bit unusual for me, but I've been playing a lot more Dreamcast than Saturn or Genesis lately... this damn monitor! too good.

Gonna record some VF3tb stuff tonight I think. I've been knee deep in FAQs from 1997 lol, there's some really nasty stuff in this game...

IrishNinja

...anyone else ready for tomorrow? 9/9 is always Dreamcast night for me, gonna put some more time in some stuff i missed (Sturmwind, Volgar, Propeller Arena etc) and no doubt hit up the classics & make some ca-razy money

...anyone else ready for tomorrow? 9/9 is always Dreamcast night for me, gonna put some more time in some stuff i missed (Sturmwind, Volgar, Propeller Arena etc) and no doubt hit up the classics & make some ca-razy money

100% playing some Power Stone and ChuChu. May give Outtrigger another try since i'll now have my keyboard and mouse as well.

I recently got a NOS Dreamcast Mouse so Confidential Mission is probably my 9/9 game this year. Strangely, it doesn't list mouse compatibility anywhere, but it works great from my limited testing the other day.

Teknoman

100% playing some Power Stone and ChuChu. May give Outtrigger another try since i'll now have my keyboard and mouse as well.

I recently got a NOS Dreamcast Mouse so Confidential Mission is probably my 9/9 game this year. Strangely, it doesn't list mouse compatibility anywhere, but it works great from my limited testing the other day.

Oh snap thats right!!

Well House of the Dead 2 for me maybe...or some Craaazy Taxi. I wish I had Virtua Fighter 3TB.

Happy birthday, Dreamcast! Have some buddies coming over for Powerstone and Beats of Rage mods later today. My birthday is the 13th and I'll always remember the surprise party my parents threw me on 9/9/99. Got a few Dreamcast games, controllers and strategy guides, and was told I'd have to wait a while to get the actual console, because they were sold out everywhere. Ten minutes later my dad pulls it out from behind the couch, greatest moment of my young life. Will always remember my cousins immediately breaking Sonic Adventure.

IrishNinja

so did anyone make the thread? did i miss it?

damn, kinda wanna pick up a mouse on the cheap, now

also anyone ever had issues with DC drives? my old one died, but the unit was modded so i replaced it & had a friend toss it in and adjust the pots (sp?) but now Giga Wang, Blue Stinger & a few others either won't load or just keep looping a reset/Sega license screen, anyone else ever had this issue?

kunonabi

It's a bit unusual for me, but I've been playing a lot more Dreamcast than Saturn or Genesis lately... this damn monitor! too good.

Gonna record some VF3tb stuff tonight I think. I've been knee deep in FAQs from 1997 lol, there's some really nasty stuff in this game...

Could you point me to some? I came in with VF4 and I'd really like to learn VF3 properly.

I realized in the birthday thread that I now have wired internet in my room now so I can use my broadband adapter without any trouble. Are any DC games still online through private servers?

CT3 also contains the arcade city and cast for CT1 but IIRC the game performs worse for some reason. It has the new features like multi-fares as well.

I guess I just like prefer the simplicity of CT1 lol

StayDead

Finished Jet Set Radio today after a binge session over the past week or so (a level a day, sometimes more).

Such an amazing game. My first taste was with the HD version, but when I got a dreamcast I just had to get this and play it on the original hardware.

Well worth it. Favourite track was likely Soul Brother.

Got Dino Crisis for DC instead of the ps1 version (Jawmuncher's comparison thread ftw btw) and I can't believe I haven't played this before. I studied to be a paleontologist until switching full-sail into writing (yes I know) and as a dino nut this game needs a fucking reboot already. I am legitimately enraged Capcom won't hand the IP to someone who could actually give the brand some respect.

IrishNinja

hnnghh those DC mags! and what a great box for the system, i got one of those later boxes but man that one's cool

CT3 also contains the arcade city and cast for CT1 but IIRC the game performs worse for some reason. It has the new features like multi-fares as well.

I guess I just like prefer the simplicity of CT1 lol

still haven't played 3, that's crazy though. yeah 2 is neat & picking up multiple people in a different layout is cool, but don't get it twisted, 1 still reigns supreme!

I played some Illbleed, game is super weird. Think I'm getting a handle on it though.

you're gonna have to put on a clinic about that one, i tried it out the other night and it seems really interesting but fuck me i've no idea how not to die

Top Bottom