• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Saw a YouTube video about a racer I'd never heard of before: MagForce Racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqWkosbuXjs

So tracked it down and played it over VGA on my projector.

Interesting game, some really nice touches though could have done with a few more months development.

Still, a nice evenings fun unlocking the second class.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNkbGtOh1fD/
15276731_259203751161858_2172587517096755200_n.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNkycDtBVKb/
15306074_194161730987885_3651301794551693312_n.jpg

soultron

Banned
Skipped Blue Stinger as a kid, for some reason. Picked up a copy, got my DC running again, and was glued to it for 3 hours last night. It's actually not that bad!

IrishNinja

Skipped Blue Stinger as a kid, for some reason. Picked up a copy, got my DC running again, and was glued to it for 3 hours last night. It's actually not that bad!

i'm saving this, Carrier & that saturn one for a halloween playthrough one day! tried out Illbleed a bit this year, man that's a unique one.

IrishNinja

that's pretty cool, always glad to see more options for the DC! between that & the raspberry Pi as a way to get back online with it, it's a good time for the system.

IrishNinja

yeah, glad i'm not in the market for gdemu/rhea or any of that, thankfully there's tons of hardware around!

having used the PS2 HDD loader extensively, these things are always a tradeoff: some games thankfully drop some loading time, others offer varying levels of compatibility. by the time i decide the scene's worth it, they'll likely have this stuff ironed out i imagine - but we're talking enough years down the line where i envision just having hardware 3D printed, haha

I wish at this point he could find someone to farm it out too or that someone would make a competing product that isn't a complete pain to get. one day I guess.

StoneageGamer tried to hook him up with better sources for shit, and tried to help him with producing more of them and he returned that kindness by being a huge dick and telling SAG he was going to be shipping the amount that he told SAG to pre-sell and it was a huge mess. Dude is a giant dick it sounds like, and seems to get off on his shit being impossible to get.

televator

HDMI on Dreamcast???=O

Well, yeah. It does more or less what the Toro + Framemeister or the OSSC does. Converting the analog RGBHV into digital form for HDMI. It's neat and convenient, but I'm still personally waiting for the native digital HDMI MOD, especially for the improved audio.

Galdelico

Well, yeah. It does more or less what the Toro + Framemeister or the OSSC does. Converting the analog RGBHV into digital form for HDMI. It's neat and convenient, but I'm still personally waiting for the native digital HDMI MOD, especially for the improved audio.

Yeah, I was wondering... What's the biggest selling point of that device? Is it the easy/all-in-one solution for displaying all games, including those who aren't RGB but VGA only compatible, and viceversa?

NDPsycho

StoneageGamer tried to hook him up with better sources for shit, and tried to help him with producing more of them and he returned that kindness by being a huge dick and telling SAG he was going to be shipping the amount that he told SAG to pre-sell and it was a huge mess. Dude is a giant dick it sounds like, and seems to get off on his shit being impossible to get.

I got my usb drive replacement from sag a while back. Didn't know they also had the gdemu too. Love using it though, never run into any issues like with using the serial to usb converter.

If you're going to emulate them I would just use MAME.

If I emulate them on MAME, wouldn't I need the original arcade stuff to legally play the ROMs? Forgive my ignorance on the issue since I'm not sure if anything's changed in the emulation scene lately.

The reason why I asked about Dreamcast emulation is because I could get the games and the console itself easily so then I can legally play these games on a emulator by downloading the necessary ROMs and stuff (I don't play on home consoles since I have a serious space issue to play comfortably at home, hence I just play almost everything on a laptop).

televator

Yeah, I was wondering... What's the biggest selling point of that device? Is it the easy/all-in-one solution for displaying all games, including those who aren't RGB but VGA only compatible, and viceversa?

Of which device? OSSC covers DC but has hit or miss compatibility. FM can cover DC with a toro and has other inputs the OSSC doesn't. VGA carries RGBHV from the DC which a toro can convert the sync to an RGB the FM can handle. The OSSC handles that internally, so any standard VGA device should theoretically work on it.

Galdelico

Of which device? OSSC covers DC but has hit or miss compatibility. FM can cover DC with a toro and has other inputs the OSSC doesn't. VGA carries RGBHV from the DC which a toro can convert the sync to an RGB the FM can handle. The OSSC handles that internally, so any standard VGA device should theoretically work on it.

Sorry, I meant the Akura alone.

I know some Dreamcast games aren't RGB compatible, and there are quite a few of them that don't support VGA. I don't own a Mini, but I've got an OSSC, and I'm aware the combo with the DC would run into problems (I'm one of those who like to simply play with the original game, rather than with patched/modded ISOs... Even if it means to deal with major shortcomings). That's the reason why I was wondering about the HDMI, whether if it could provide an easy all-in-one solution to play every Dreamcast game, without worrying about RGB/VGA incompatibilities.

televator

Sorry, I meant the Akura alone.

I know some Dreamcast games aren't RGB compatible, and there are quite a few of them that don't support VGA. I don't own a Mini, but I've got an OSSC, and I'm aware the combo with the DC would run into problems (I'm one of those who like to simply play with the original game, rather than with patched/modded ISOs... Even if it means to deal with major shortcomings). That's the reason why I was wondering about the HDMI, whether if it could provide an easy all-in-one solution to play every Dreamcast game, without worrying about RGB/VGA incompatibilities.

I see what you mean. The previous devices from Behar Bros included a 15/31Khz switch so that non VGA compatible games could still be passed through or tricked into 31Khz mode. Things could work differently with an HDMI box though. Where 15Khz only games could be line doubled internally by the box thus providing an all encompassing solution for all games on the DC as you are thinking. However I have not seen any detailed bullet points of the functions and features of the Akura.

I got my usb drive replacement from sag a while back. Didn't know they also had the gdemu too. Love using it though, never run into any issues like with using the serial to usb converter.

They did at one point they don't any more cause the dude who makes the gdemu is an ass.

leroidys

If I emulate them on MAME, wouldn't I need the original arcade stuff to legally play the ROMs? Forgive my ignorance on the issue since I'm not sure if anything's changed in the emulation scene lately.

The reason why I asked about Dreamcast emulation is because I could get the games and the console itself easily so then I can legally play these games on a emulator by downloading the necessary ROMs and stuff (I don't play on home consoles since I have a serious space issue to play comfortably at home, hence I just play almost everything on a laptop).

Using downloaded ROMs for either is equivalent legally AFAIK. The only legal way to use an emulator is by ripping your own games and patching in your own bios (for systems where that applies).

Galdelico

I see what you mean. The previous devices from Behar Bros included a 15/31Khz switch so that non VGA compatible games could still be passed through or tricked into 31Khz mode. Things could work differently with an HDMI box though. Where 15Khz only games could be line doubled internally by the box thus providing an all encompassing solution for all games on the DC as you are thinking. However I have not seen any detailed bullet points of the functions and features of the Akura.
Thanks for clarifying, dude. It's interesting enough to keep my eyes on the device and see how it turns out to be, when it gets released. I definitely want to add the Dreamcast back to my retro garage, next year... I start to really miss playing my DC games (I kept them all, but never touched them in more than a decade, since both my consoles died, basically), it's been so long.

NDPsycho

I think that was a different person with a usb mod, not the same as the gdemu guy.

gdemu is still rather difficult to order though....

That was why I was asking. I know they did the USB drive replacements through SAG once, because that's where I got mine. I didn't think they sold the SD drive replacement?

TeaJay

I have my new Dreamcast hooked to my PVM on RGB scart. Apparently that's not the best possible option? I know of VGA boxes, but I don't have a device to hook VGA to. Will some games look worse on RGB?

Peltz

I have my new Dreamcast hooked to my PVM on RGB scart. Apparently that's not the best possible option? I know of VGA boxes, but I don't have a device to hook VGA to. Will some games look worse on RGB?

You're just missing out on 480p. Otherwise the quality of scart is equal to that of vga.

Some games wont work with RGB at all, just a heads up.

The most recent one that comes to mind is SF Zero 3 or SSF2T X GMC.

For clarification, GDEMU and USB GDROM are different. The scenario you are refering to happened with USB GDROM.

TeaJay

From what I read PAL versions do support RGB though? Either that or just burn a patched ISO. I do want to try Skies of Arcadia and Giga Wing.

IrishNinja

yeah, some games don't support VGA either...it's why most solutions should include options for both, or some workaround i guess. i dig options.

TheBear

I'm trying to configure my ipac 4 with nullDc and not having much luck. Selecting the xinput inputs in the maple slots won't allow me to configure. Puru works fine with a 360 controller.

Can anyone help with this?

Also which emulator runs NFL blitz the best? Nulldc has some weird artifacting happening with the wire frames of the players

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

D.Lo

I swear I upgrade from his last box just before he releases a better one every time...

Oh well they sell on ebay for full price second hand anyway.

Top Bottom