• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm playing Soul Calibur and I've unlocked the third outfit for some characters but I'm not able to select them. Is there some trick to this? It's just "A+Y" but no dice. I'm playing on the green goblin stick btw

Komo

Banned
Is there an inexpensive method of converting a VGA signal to component? I've got the VGA cable, which works great, but unfortunately, my behemoth of a CRT does not support VGA, and only component.

Peltz

Is there an inexpensive method of converting a VGA signal to component? I've got the VGA cable, which works great, but unfortunately, my behemoth of a CRT does not support VGA, and only component.

I've tried to do this very same thing in the past. You're better off outputting SCART from the Dreamcst then converting it to component. It's a FAR cleaner conversion than VGA to component.

I think also that someone out there is creating a straight Component cable for Dreamcast (if my memory is correct). So it may be worth waiting for that. Personally, I wouldn't try and go the VGA to Component route - there are too many shitty devices out there and I still haven't see one that is good for gaming. I'd either go SCART/Toro to Component or wait.

Toro's SCART output is probably the best of the existing options because it will give you access to 240p, 480i, and 480p over the SCART to Component connection. Sorry, I know this isn't inexpensive, but as always, you get what you pay for, and this will be by far the cleanest way to accomplish what you need. It will look perfect.

I'm playing Soul Calibur and I've unlocked the third outfit for some characters but I'm not able to select them. Is there some trick to this? It's just "A+Y" but no dice. I'm playing on the green goblin stick btw

Just tried this out. When you hover over the character that has a 3rd outfit available (it will let you know they have a 3rd outfit), pressing Y+A together should change their portrait without selecting the character. Holding the Y+A buttons, using another button to select, the portrait should change to the default portrait.

Psxdad

I'm in the process of picking up a xrgb mini and interested in the toro. Which cable on that site do I need for this setup?

I've tried to do this very same thing in the past. You're better off outputting SCART from the Dreamcst then converting it to component. It's a FAR cleaner conversion than VGA to component.

I think also that someone out there is creating a straight Component cable for Dreamcast (if my memory is correct). So it may be worth waiting for that. Personally, I wouldn't try and go the VGA to Component route - there are too many shitty devices out there and I still haven't see one that is good for gaming. I'd either go SCART/Toro to Component or wait.

Toro's SCART output is probably the best of the existing options because it will give you access to 240p, 480i, and 480p over the SCART to Component connection. Sorry, I know this isn't inexpensive, but as always, you get what you pay for, and this will be by far the cleanest way to accomplish what you need. It will look perfect.

A DC component cable would be great, I'd get one too... I have some interest in improving my DC's video cable above composite, but haven't in part because the VGA box doesn't work with all games and I'd also need some VGA to component adapter and yeah, there's sure to be signal degradation there, and it adds to the cost too of course.

Using downloaded ROMs for either is equivalent legally AFAIK. The only legal way to use an emulator is by ripping your own games and patching in your own bios (for systems where that applies).

I think that it would be better to say that downloaded roms of games you own are legally a grey area, since I don't know of any legal cases involving the issue. If you made the backup yourself, of something you own, it's clearly legal, but for a download of something you have? Who knows.

Who has Sturmwind ? Are all the backgrounds real time? Some of them look almost TOO GOOD to be. Not knocking the Dreamcast, but good grief!
The game definitely uses prerendered backdrops quite often, yes. The game uses a mixture of prerendered and polygonal stuff throughout. It's a good game, but the prerendered/polygonal mix definitely gives it a '90s look to it when you play it that you may not notice in screenshots and such-- the game uses a lot of prerendered graphics.

TheContact

I still have my dreamcast. It's the original model where you can just burn dvds to play games. PSO is still good (I re bought the game I liked it so much as my original disc was scratched to hell)

I still have my dreamcast. It's the original model where you can just burn dvds to play games. PSO is still good (I re bought the game I liked it so much as my original disc was scratched to hell)

If that was the case, people wouldn't have waited for the PS2.

So Sonic Adventure is back!

In Mario form...

That city environment reminds me so much of Station Square. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought that.

Fitting since this will likely be Nintendo's last console if that atrocious presentation is any indication.

I hope not.

Also, since we're talking Switch and all the other ones are moving too quickly. I think the presentation was fine. Most people expect too much early on in a system's life-cycle. I feel like if Nintendo had organized a simultaneous conference in NYC rather than relying on real-time translators (some of whom did a terrible job) there would be less despair going around right now. The early line-up is rather solid. We're getting Zelda. Bomberman is back. Tons of Japanese titles. Some ports that I would like to play on the train and while I'm traveling. This is a great console for someone in a city who doesn't drive.

Once the holidays rolls around, this thing will be great. If it's anything like the Dreamcast, I hope it's full of tons of great FUN games. Seems like gamers nowadays don't give a shit about fun.

FN-2187

I hope not.

Also, since we're talking Switch and all the other ones are moving too quickly. I think the presentation was fine. Most people expect too much early on in a system's life-cycle. I feel like if Nintendo had organized a simultaneous conference in NYC rather than relying on real-time translators (some of whom did a terrible job) there would be less despair going around right now. The early line-up is rather solid. We're getting Zelda. Bomberman is back. Tons of Japanese titles. Some ports that I would like to play on the train and while I'm traveling. This is a great console for someone in a city who doesn't drive.

Once the holidays rolls around, this thing will be great. If it's anything like the Dreamcast, I hope it's full of tons of great FUN games. Seems like gamers nowadays don't give a shit about fun.

I also hope not. I love Nintendo games, and I loved both the Wii and the Wii U. From what they have shown thus far, this thing just seems too much like Wii U 2.0 to me (including having many of the same games!). The only game they showed that got me excited was Mario Adventure, and that isn't coming out until Christmas. Also, I'm in Canada and the system is $400.

Bringing this around to Dreamcast, so as not to highjack this thread with pure Switch talk, I've had my Dreamcast hooked up to the big living room TV for the last couple of weeks, so it was right next to my TV while I watched the Switch presentation. Every time Nintendo made another announcement about the launch of this thing that disappointed me, I kept looking over at my Dreamcast and thinking about how SOA nailed everything for the NA launch of that system. This Switch launch looks to be on par with the pathetic Japanese launch of the Dreamcast.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I also think the reactions to the Switch presentation has been way more negative than it deserves, but that is just how internet reacts to everything Nintendo it seems.

WIth that said, there are some things im legit worried about.

First of all their ridiculous peripheral prices, especially considering i would like to play mp on this thing. Why cant i use wiimotes for a game like Bomberman? This is going to be really expensive unfortunately.

Secondly, the thirdparty support looks atrocious for now. I dont care about the big western games, but i really wanted the 3DS/Vita software to transition over - which it probably will when the 3DS dies in Japan - but for now it doesnt look that hot.

Thirdly, while i dont use online myself, i still really dislike that Nintendo now adopts the PS+ model of paid online. Its especially annoying on the PS4 where primarily singleplayer games like Dark Souls 3 have important features that enhance the singleplayer experience looked behind the paywall. We dont know if games like this is coming to the Switch, but just the possibility is annoying me.

But all in all, I think the firstparty lineup looks great, the hw looks cool, and the price for the device itself is fine. I really want one at launch for Zelda, but might wait until summer since money is going to be tight until then.

Nice, what kind is it? I have a monitor that accepts both but it's not VGA. It's the X68000 standard.

I think Dreamcast games that are 15 KHz only do not allow output to a VGA cable regardless of what kind of signals the monitor accepts. I imagine that's part of why the Toro has a SCART out. I could be wrong though since I don't have one to test with.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Nice, what kind is it? I have a monitor that accepts both but it's not VGA. It's the X68000 standard.

I think Dreamcast games that are 15 KHz only do not allow output to a VGA cable regardless of what kind of signals the monitor accepts. I imagine that's part of why the Toro has a SCART out. I could be wrong though since I don't have one to test with.
It's an NEC 71V

According to this post, a Toro might do the trick.

It's an NEC 71V

According to this post, a Toro might do the trick.
I assume running the game from a backup is not an option? I remember that back in the day whenever a game wouldn't have VGA box support I would just get an ISO from the Internet and patch it with a self-boot tool. I would imagine these days pre-patched ISOs of the game are probably easy to find.
Of course unless this is one of those games (such as Bangai-O) that simply get messed up when you force VGA support.

petran79

Banned
I had the infamous reset issue. Soldering didnt help.

The solution with the best longetivity was placing toothpicks in the pins.

Consoles are hasslefree they said...

Galdelico

I had the infamous reset issue. Soldering didnt help.

The solution with the best longetivity was placing toothpicks in the pins.

Consoles are hasslefree they said...
I mean, people who keep rocking their launch XBOX360 and PS3 do exist for sure, but we all know what's the deal. The Dreamcast is right there too, in my opinion. I've been extremely unlucky with my two units, but I still have to understand if there's any fix to prevent the system to just prematurely fail under very normal usage conditions.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's been going like that for months now!!!

Guess it was always a matter of time... but for a while, it was kinda oddly inexpensive to buy DC games. Wasn't sure if they were on a trajectory to become like Saturn prices, but now I kinda think they are.

Anyway, I bought Lodoss and Virtua Tennis today. I've wanted to play Lodoss since 2001, and I've only ever played the demo of Virtua Tennis. Should be aight.

NDPsycho

Guess it was always a matter of time... but for a while, it was kinda oddly inexpensive to buy DC games. Wasn't sure if they were on a trajectory to become like Saturn prices, but now I kinda think they are.

Anyway, I bought Lodoss and Virtua Tennis today. I've wanted to play Lodoss since 2001, and I've only ever played the demo of Virtua Tennis. Should be aight.

Both are great games. I wished there had been more Parn and Deedlit, but it was still awesome to get a localized Lodoss game. Just don't take a long break midway through and forget that you need to upgrade as you grind :)

Was worried my DC was dying yesterday but decided to look at the power component of the innards

After an alcohol cleansing of the prongs and a dust blower all over, it runs like a charm now ^_^

Going tomorrow to a showing of the documentary The Lost Arcade and setting it up alongside a few other games for moviegoers to play before and after showing.

Pretty happy I fixed the problem pretty quickly and easily.

Danny Dudekisser

Woooo I'm out of control. Not really. But I am buying random ass stuff.

Bought Chu Chu Rocket, Gundam Side Story 0079, Crazy Taxi 2, and Aerowings. Only one of those I've played before is Crazy Taxi 2, which I sold a looooong time ago, because I was stupid. So that's... what? 6 Dreamcast games in the last few days? Feels good.

IrishNinja

yeah, i got my copy around this time 3 years ago, no idea what print that was - but since someone on here before was looking to pay above-ebay prices, i thought it was worth posting!

IrishNinja

Is Sturmwind worth the $25 asking price if u don't fuck with Euroshmups?

of that batch, i think it stands out - ive felt forever now that there's a different (lower) bar for aftermarket SHMUPs, and to me, this felt like one of the better ones i'd played - certainly presentation wise

for that price you can very likely get your money back if it's not for you, though

Danny Dudekisser

Wooo. Got 7 Dreamcast games from my buying spree last week. Now that I've received them all, I'm kinda in the mood to go buy some more.

But I need to drink more first.

Top Bottom