• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Forever: The nostalgia trip that could change the company's future

Omikaru

Honestly I don't understand why companies are focused on putting retro games on mobile where emulators are widely available for cheap and the market is looking for more casual and less challenging experiences that cost nothing.

Mewnwhile on consoles where there's proper input methods, a market looking for challenging games, and willing to pay for them, it's tumbleweeds except for hamster corp and their arcade archives which are great.

I don't disagree, they should definitely release these games on modern systems, but I don't think that precludes mobile. And it sounds like they have been thinking about controls and creating an experience that's better than emulation.

Plus nothing on this precludes an ad-free paid console release down the line. Given the chance, I'd take the entire Sega Forever lineup on Switch, because that's my portable system of choice, but I think getting upset because it's on mobile is counterproductive. It's a perfectly valid platform to release these games on.

Let me guess : Sega is releasing for the XXX time the same old Genesis games.

Of course, give away the games for "free" because they know thier core fans already own them in one format or another. They hope to draw in new fans, that's what this is, a Sega social media network. They think it's smart, but it's so transparent.

GAF and it's mobile hate boner. Tsk, tsk.

On the first page alone I counted about four posts complaining about mobile and more than four posts complaining about the people complaining about mobile...but it's still a shame that half the debate on this thread is over that topic, instead of the service itself.

Dr.Social

Banned
from forever.sega.com

MC6Ja0i.png

Virtua Tennis 1 or 2?

TimmiT

Since this comes from Sega Networks, which is Sega's mobile branch, makes sense that this would be mobile first at least.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Not really understanding the disappointment.

It's a collection of free games with more being added and they even have controller/leaderboard support.
What's not to like?

Phones. More bloody phone games that either require a bluetooth controller or touch screen controls. Phone games are for sitting on the toilet.

Not like this Sega.

Of course, give away the games for "free" because they know thier core fans already own them in one format or another. They hope to draw in new fans, that's what this is, a Sega social media network. They think it's smart, but it's so transparent.
You say that like it's a bad thing

Wow SEGA, trying to make consumers aware of your products by giving them away for free, very ANTICONSUMER

Floex

On the first page alone I counted about four posts complaining about mobile and more than four posts complaining about the people complaining about mobile...but it's still a shame that half the debate on this thread is over that topic, instead of the service itself.

Because who does it benefit?

At this stage in Sega's career, they're a nostalgia act. No one gaming on phones cares about Sega games, let alone controlling games that require a pad on a touchscreen.

It's not about mobile gaming that is the issue, it's that they continue to ignore the market that wants to give Sega money.

TimmiT

At this stage in Sega's career, they're a nostalgia act. No one gaming on phones cares about Sega games, let alone controlling games that require a pad on a touchscreen.

It's not about mobile gaming that is the issue, it's that they continue to ignore the market that wants to give Sega money.

Except Sega has been pretty successful on mobile.

Platy

Interested on seeing what happens when they run out of the exact same handful of Mega Drive games they've been porting to everything over and over again.

I mean, some Master System or Saturn ports might be nice for a change.

Let me guess : Sega is releasing for the XXX time the same old Genesis games.

Show me the Dreamcast content and we'll talk.

tenor.gif

Hoping for Dreamcast stuff.

From the press release :

The upcoming lineup will include games from all console eras, including:
•SG-1000
•Master System
•Genesis/Mega Drive
•Game Gear
•SEGA Saturn
•Dreamcast

Aki-at

Who says they're ignoring the console or PC market? Everything this year has shown strong support from SEGA across the board.

If anything mobile is playing catch up with the other two platforms. It's a wise decision considering mobile is SEGA's strongest market.

gelf

I'll be interested if we actually end up getting more then the usual Mega Drive games I've bought many times over already.

Hope it comes to all formats eventually as well. I never feel comfortable using mobile for old console games even with a Bluetooth pad as it feels cumbersome to set up when I just want a quick game. Though if they gave us rare titles that are hard to find these days I'd probably try and suffer through it. Would love to see some Saturn games.

cclittle

Neo Member
Pretty skeptical of this but that trailer definitely has its heart in the right place. Hope that mention of Switch in the interview is more than talk.

...also looking forward to Panzer Dragoon Saga on my phone.

I'm slightly confused, so is Sega Forever a downloadable app hub to then download these games from, or are they all just standalone individual apps?

I only ask because these games are already downloadable standalone for quite some time now, no?

kulapik

I'm slightly confused, so is Sega Forever a downloadable app hub to then download these games from, or are they all just standalone individual apps?

I only ask because these games are already downloadable standalone for quite some time now, no?
Sega 1 and Sega CD have been out for a while, but the rest of games are new.

cclittle

Neo Member

They are separate apps. Games that already exist are going to be relaunched (with slight modifications?) as forever branded apps.

I wanted to install Phantasy Star II but it's not compatible with my nexus 6p yet, the google app store can be so annoying.

I'd like to believe this is corporate synergy to rebuild the brand, use the nostalgia and ubiquitous nature of smartphones to remind people of SEGA, and of those games.

While at the same time reviving IP on Console as well as building new IP with the core DNA of SEGA games.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I find it really hard to believe you can't understand why people are disappointed.
we've literally known this was a mobile initiative since the day it was announced so if you couldn't be assed to read about sega forever how disappointed could you possibly be?

I'd like to believe this is corporate synergy to rebuild the brand, use the nostalgia and ubiquitous nature of smartphones to remind people of SEGA, and of those games.

While at the same time reviving IP on Console as well as building new IP with the core DNA of SEGA games.

I fully believe this is what it is. It's the beginning of something. I personally believe Shenmue HD will be coming and it seems it may be part of this service, but if they released that on mobile only? Man the outcry would be insane among the Shenmue community alone, as well as further than that.

TimmiT

I like how ironic is the "We're listening" in the Twitter bio of Sega Forever.

Shenmue HD Collection? Yeah? No? Fuck me?!

This is from Sega's mobile division, unless you want Shenmue on mobile phones they're probably not gonna be able to give you what you want.

Top Bottom