• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Forever: The nostalgia trip that could change the company's future

Loona

This could be interesting. They also talk about potentially releasing games that weren't localised either like Segagaga which would be weird.

If they localize SEGAGAGA through this Imma explode. Do it, SEGA!

I want this so bad... sadly it's not explicitly mentioned in the interview.

I this point I'd settle for just a translation of the ending, that whole sequence is insane more emotional than it has any right to be: https://youtu.be/QuRWvl2-wPE?t=1470

But that's a Dreamcast cast - I wonder if they'll make it a point to cover Saturn games first, despite their reputation for being harder to emulate... I'd love me a modern port of Fighters Megamix...

from forever.sega.com

MC6Ja0i.png

Virtua Tennis 1 or 2?

The guy in the pic is the Rival from VT4.

This might be Virtua Tennis Challenge or something they released a while back, it has the same app picture.

Phones. More bloody phone games that either require a bluetooth controller or touch screen controls. Phone games are for sitting on the toilet.

Not like this Sega.

Did you know the Dualshock 4 is a Bluetooth controller?

Aside from screen size, how would playing these on mobile be any different than playing them on a console if the mobile port is competent?

Platy

This is from Sega's mobile division, unless you want Shenmue on mobile phones they're probably not gonna be able to give you what you want.

The interview in the OP said Sega Forever is easily ported for everything under the sun if the need arise.

THAT BEING SAID, it does not look to be HD versions of the 3d games.

If this actually does spread to desktops in the future I could see it putting Sega on Steam in a pretty awkward position, assuming they don't do dual releases.

Otherwise, it sounds fine to me.

Saikyo

I see Arle Nadja in the names of the high score, maybe they are going to translate puyo 1 or 2?

Still worried about they are maybe using code from retroarch without giving proper credits...

sibarraz

Banned
Sega is having one of its best years in the last time on both pc and consoles and people still pretend that sega only cares about mobile, while criticizing something that is free, with controller support, and that been sold in other plataforms countless of times

btw, how could they port saturn games to unity?

atr0cious

Then play these free games with a DS4.
Why would I when I can play the multiple different Sega collections on my steam account with any number of controllers from humble bundles? Point being, if you're gonna use a controller, why attach it to an inferior solution? And who's gonna take a ds4 with them just to do this? This is sega being sega, and giving people definitely what they weren't looking for, just like the Saturn.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Why would I when I can play the multiple different Sega collections on my steam account with any number of controllers from humble bundles? Point being, if you're gonna use a controller, why attach it to an inferior solution? And who's gonna take a ds4 with them just to do this? This is sega being sega, and giving people definitely what they weren't looking for, just like the Saturn.
a DS4 is smaller than a Switch. what do you want man? if you don't want to play these games on the go, well shit, you already own them on steam! what's wrong with bringing these games to a wider audience, for free?

cireza

From the press release :
The upcoming lineup will include games from all console eras, including:
•SG-1000
•Master System
•Genesis/Mega Drive
•Game Gear
•SEGA Saturn
•Dreamcast
Probably the few games that were already ported in the past.

Shaneus

They've patched existing titles to use this model, so I'm guessing they'll just be making existing releases run on the same base ad-supported software.

I can't think of any Saturn titles that have already been ported to iOS, for example, but the DC is already covered with Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, JSR and Chu Chu Rocket.

I think anyone expecting out-of-nowhere announcements of games that haven't been released anywhere else outside of their original platforms like Shenmue, Segagaga, Burning Rangers or VF2 (as examples) are kidding themselves... this is Sega we're talking about.

Though I would love to see them try a portable Seaman...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I hope you have a set up for when virtua fighter saturn and dreamcast versions go up ;)
my setup would be two XB1 pads, a wall to lean my phone against, and a magnifying glass.

for real tho if they put non-genesis VF2 on anything I'll be delighted.

thatJohann

They need to bring Sega Forever and the games to the Switch. It would be a huge hit given the Switch does not have Virtual Console.

I won't be happy until I can play PSO V2 on my phone. I don't care if it's offline mode only.

Reicast can emulate it but there's a few bugs with the map system rendering and framerates, but playable. The emulator has not been officially updated on the app store since 2014 but there are dev builds out there.

It even worked on an ouya back in the day.

Kolibri

With a wireless controller and a USB to HDMI cable, you can pretty much use your mobile device like a regular console on TV.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
"Not available in the Canadian App Store"
The games launch on the 22nd in the west.

Almost feel like they are trolling.

Hopefully, they will somehow bring this to PC not too far in the future.

The five games that are already available through this are already sold on PC as part of the Genesis Classics Collection. The interview in the OP mentions that other games will likely come to other platforms at some point, as most of the games use Unity.

In the initial presentation we saw, Sega made a big deal about the fact that it's building a new brand in Forever. All the titles will be presented in a similar way, and the app icons will follow the same style. With such efforts going into establishing a new brand, could we see it brought to other marketplaces such as the PlayStation or Xbox store?

"About 90% of the games so far are in Unity," Evans explains. "The reason we chose Unity as middleware is it enables us to take this content to other platforms as well.

"So my first focus is mobile. It's a huge project and what I really want to do is get mobile right. After this, there are options: we can look at desktop, Facebook, we could even take these games to consoles like Switch.

wrowa

So, Sega Forever is just a label and not a subscription service after all. That's a bit of a bummer. I'd have liked to see someone experiment with a subscription model for retro games for once.

Apart of that... eh. If Crazy Taxi's recent implementation of ads is any indication, this will be quite bad. Crazy Taxi has ads that can block UI elements entirely, making the game impossible to play. Like, I just had an ad that entirely blocked all of the important parts of the main menu (like, selecting a game mode) and that I was unable to close (either because it's just not possible to close the ad or because it isn't very intuitive).

It's cool to see they want to add Saturn and Dreamcast games as well, though. I hope that's not just a pipedream, but something that will actually happen -- the current line up is just the same old, same old Sega gives away for practically free all the time. That's frankly not very interesting. Generally, I feel that people moved on from playing retro games on mobile years ago, but maybe I'm wrong about that,

It's nice that it's free, i guess.
Playing classic games on my phone doesn't sound too fun. Even the widely acclaimed Sonic ports and I doubt these would have as much work put into them as those.
Guess we'll see. I'll download a few

Glad to see this is free. I'm in the minority i guess, but as much as I love retro and Sega, I'm not sure it's something I would pay for. Hell I don't think I've spent more than $20 in the Google Play and Apple App Store combined, in the last decade. I refuse to even pay $1 for Swype, which I absolutely adore and miss for the last year that I've been on iOS. ...

I should really buy Swype.

Well I need to try my chromecast now.

Do you need to download the game directly or there is a "hub app" called Sega Forever?

Also, are there any controller that support mobile and Switch?

atr0cious

a DS4 is smaller than a Switch. what do you want man? if you don't want to play these games on the go, well shit, you already own them on steam! what's wrong with bringing these games to a wider audience, for free?
Nothing, touch screen mobile is the problem. Some of segas games, like their most important IP, need precision controls. And let's not get silly, a ds4s gonna be a lot more noticeable in your pocket than a switch. But that's not the point, the ds4 or any other controller is not native to the phone, so they must be bought separate, and for this reason, will not be how the vast majority interact with this app. Instead of leveraging their IP and making new iterations, or even renting out ip to Indies and third party to make themselves relevant, like Nintendo, they're just flogging the old shit, at least initially, on a platform that doesn't lend itself to the games at all. Probably be full of ads and other bits to mitigate.

Again, not saying the concept is bad, but they're execution has to be on point, and mobile first does them a disservice. Unless they've changed how the games control and haven't just slapped a digital pad on their like the crazy taxi mobile game, it seems many will probably get a skewed perspective of these games, which could hurt an IP in the future for any project that is related to it.

Any word on what the long term goal for this is? IP awareness like Nintendo's mobile games? Customer data? I'm surprised it's literally free, with the ability to save to Sega's own servers (seemingly).

They'll potentially make more money off of ad impression than they would off a subscription service.

Nyoro SF

Change the company's future? I severely doubt such a sensationalist title. Sega has re-released their classic games so many times I can't even count the number, and mobile gamers have assuredly better mobile games to play than classic games which will not play nice with the default mobile tap controls.

inner-G

Banned
'Forever'

Until 64-bit iOS 11 breaks them and they never get updated, right?

(Sorry - just jaded about digital games being called 'forever')

I'll support them to have an excuse to toss them a dollar or two but dont see myself playing any of these. As someone who grew up on these games, I am not blind to how most are unplayable for me at this stage.

Has anyone been able to give these a go on their smart device? Would love to be proven wrong about the quality of the Unity ports and emulated versions.

Change the company forever? I severely doubt such a sensationalist title. Sega has re-released their classic games so many times I can't even count the number, and mobile gamers have assuredly better mobile games to play than classic games which will not play nice with the default mobile tap controls.

Sega Networks already makes successful mobile games, while I see the headline as sensationalist I see Sega Forever as marketing that'll go back into influencing company decisions. It's the first time Sega will (for all the good and bad it'll bring) use analytics and user data from 25 year old games to inform all sorts of decisions across the business. I doubt it'd lead to any major changes in the way the company does things or the way the company's balance sheet looks, but it's certain to influence some things. We just won't see the impact for a while...

'Forever'

Until 64-bit iOS 11 breaks them and they never get updated, right?

(Sorry - just jaded about digital games being called 'forever')

It's been 4 years since 64 bit apps on iOS became a thing, you haven't been able to submit a new 32 bit app, or update, to the App Store for years now.

CJY

Banned
Any word on what the long term goal for this is? IP awareness like Nintendo's mobile games? Customer data? I'm surprised it's literally free, with the ability to save to Sega's own servers (seemingly).

Interesting to find out that it's the project of Sega Network's chief marketing officer though, rather than a creative or programmer, so I'm going for IP awareness.

The games are available now, hopefully they stand up to scrutiny against M2's 3D Classics.

Not in the Ireland store

pswii60

Also; everyone complaining about this being on Smart Phones. Why? Would you complain about them being on Switch?

Seems like a good deal to me.

Touch controls. Although I have an Android controller (well,a Beboncool laggy piece of shit anyway) to get around this and it works OK with emulators on my S8. But really, I'd love Sega to do a service like this on consoles - all the three consoles. I'd be far more interested in that than playing the games on my phone.

Top Bottom