• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Forever: The nostalgia trip that could change the company's future

Really doubt they will beat the 3DS ports of some of these gems. Here's hoping the service goes to other platforms as well at some point, this is just the start though, so I'll hold off on being negative.

Piers

None of the current games are new releases right? Hardcore sega fans already bought most of these earlier (like myself). Wake me up when they port over some new games.

This. Just buy the games for cheap on Steam + workshop.
Forever sounds like nothing so far.

I really hope that the Taxman version of Sonic 1 that I payed for previously won't have ads...

This is the extent of Sonic 1 ads:
DC3EbF5XcAAy8B-.jpg

DC3EatLXUAECzed.jpg

But yes I would imagine your paid copy is safe.

flattie

Shit. The PR graphic has a picture of a Saturn! If this is the only way I get Panzer Dragoon - I'm in.

Anybody know any decent controllers for Android? (Or IOS for that matter).

Daffy Duck

So how do I get this?

I have a paid version of sonic 2, is that something different?

Edit:
Oh I get it now, visited the website.

zenspider

SEGA maybe, hell, is demonstrably the worst manager of it's own IP in the industry.
Have they ever successfully revived a classic franchise? Have they ever been able to take any franchise into a new generation of hardware successfully? Yakuza, Sonic (kinda), full stop.

They're trying to capitalize on thier incredibly broad, diverse, and potent catalog ala Nintendo, but I have zero faith they can execute.

Nintendo made a new FE for smartphones, along with 3 new, unique games (Echoes, Warriors, TBA Switch 2018).

I have zero faith SEGA can match that output in total, let alone to reinvgorate and/or capitalize one franchise.

Drayco21

I would rather see a service like this on console/PC, but I'm down with mobile- the ads are really nonintrusive, and hopefully this gets some of these games into new hands. Might need to pick up a controller down the line though- touchscreen controls for a lot of these are awful.

Really hoping to see some non-Genesis games soon too. Genesis was an awesome machine, and Sonic 1, Comix Zone and Altered Beast are rad and all, but they've been ported a million times. Show me some of that promised Saturn/Dreamcast/ect. love and I'll really get excited.

Synth

Have they ever successfully revived a classic franchise?

Outrun and (though very different) Phantasy Star.

Have they ever been able to take any franchise into a new generation of hardware successfully? Yakuza, Sonic (kinda), full stop.

Phantasy Star and Virtua Fighter.

I'd argue part of the reasoning for this was the constant focus on a new slate of IP for each generation. Outside of Sonic, they never really did go the Nintendo route of reliably sequelling each IP across generations. I'd imagine this was largely due to their arcade focus where (outside of fighters) sequels were less reliable than the home market.

Neff

I love Sega to bits and want to give them money for their games, which sucks because advertisers are willing to give them more than we are.

I curse the day the games industry ever discovered this business model.

Synth

I love Sega to bits and want to give them money for their games, which sucks because advertisers are willing to give them more than we are.

I curse the day the games industry ever discovered this business model.

Sega doesn't even give me that many opportunities to give them money. I'd have sunk stupid amounts into PSO2 if they had just released it here.

Releasing the same games 100 times obviously isn't going to result in me buying 100 copies... gimme the shit you didn't release already (Daytona USA 2 ffs omfg).

sibarraz

Banned
The framerate is terrible in all games except sonic the hedgehog, and that's because they used the godtier version developed by taxman

Altered Beast runs like a stuttery mess on my IPHONE 7 PLUS, for fuck's sake.

My copy of Phantasy Star II used to run good on my older iPhone, but thanks to this update it runs like complete ass too.

starmud

Putting their catalog behind a service with cloud saves and leaderboards is aweosme IMO, the price of entry isn't bad either... only annoyance here is the service should be coming to desktop/console.

Mobile is a strange choice for many of these legacy games, is the audience there for nostalgia over some of these franchises? I just can't see many of their legacy titles getting attention on mobile.

Downloaded the games and the emulation is pretty poor, at least on Android. The sound and framerate stutter a lot. I don't care for the soft upscaling either. This kind of kills my enthusiasm for the whole thing. They seem like cheap rush jobs all around, except for maybe Sonic which isn't showing up for free for me yet. They're keeping the awesome port of that and just layering the Sega Forever stuff on top, right?

Hilarion

Wait...5 games with plans to expand it to...30?

And this will eventually include Saturn and Dreamcast titles?

Why cap it at 30? 30 games over nearly 15 years isn't a great representative sample of Sega's incredible back catalog.

This is the extent of Sonic 1 ads:

But yes I would imagine your paid copy is safe.
My paid copy sure isn't. The restore purchases option is stuck at this screen. Keep in mind, I'm able to restore my Phantasy Star 2 purchase, so it's not a problem with my App Store account or anything..

DC3SoCuUIAAN_rA.jpg

DC3U6u7UAAE9VWA.jpg

bjork

I'm sure this is a very unpopular opinion, but... Comix Zone is so bad.

I'm with you. I'll DL it just to support the idea of what they're trying here, but Comix Zone was never good. A cool concept for sure, it just isn't a fun game to actually play or watch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
These emulators are horrible. This is not a way to honor the legacy of Sega.

Really hope they don't go and replace the versions of Sonic 1, 2 and CD on the store because those are light years beyond this garbage.

AaronMT86

These emulators are horrible. This is not a way to honor the legacy of Sega.

Really hope they don't go and replace the versions of Sonic 1, 2 and CD on the store because those are light years beyond this garbage.

Sonic 1 was just updated with the same Unity wrapper

StereoVsn

Altered Beast runs like a stuttery mess on my IPHONE 7 PLUS, for fuck's sake.

My copy of Phantasy Star II used to run good on my older iPhone, but thanks to this update it runs like complete ass too.
Yeah, I am not sure what's going on as it used to work just fine years ago and now stutters on my iPhone 6s Plus. The emulator coupled with Unity is clearly not doing a great job. I could grab my old android Note 3 and run this on an emulator (not Sega one) just fine.

Top Bottom