• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Hopeford

I will forever hope and wait for Skies of Arcadia on pc. Man I just want a version of that game with the reduced encounter rate AND the hq soundtrack.

Gitaroo

Hopefully Bayonetta is just another in a long line of SEGA PC ports.

The Panzer Dragoon series really needs modern re-releases, no matter the platform. IIRC, the first game even got a PC port, so I would've thought that would be a no brainer.

Its the perfect series to bring back on the 3ds IMO. A full remake is too expensive, if they dont want to altered and of the original assets and keep it faithful to the original, get M2 to port it over to 3ds with 3D effect.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I guess this is relevant here:

Bayonetta is out now on PC, we spoke to Platinum about making it happen

"The PC market is huge and can definitely not be ignored. We are absolutely aware of that, and we've always felt this way," a spokesperson for Platinum told PC Gamer. "We've always had a positive stance towards porting our titles to PC, but the decisions as to which platforms we release our games on, and which platforms are the main focus for the games we make are largely made by the publishers, so this is not something we can decide on our own.

"However, most third party publishers nowadays realize the PC should not be ignored, so I believe we should be able to become more actively involved in the PC market from here on out."

Platinum continues, suggesting if it were the developer's decision alone it'd see all of its games ported to PC—"if it were up to us, we'd port all of our games to PC, but it all depends on the publishers"—such as Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns. If Bayonetta on PC is a success though, might that encourage Platinum to make another?

"We still feel strongly about putting more consideration into the PC market. If our current efforts prove successful, this will only make PC development more attractive."

http://www.pcgamer.com/bayonetta-is-out-now-on-pc-we-spoke-to-platinum-about-making-it-happen/

I think it's all happening, these ports have been very successful for Sega and Platinum is completely on board

Linkark07

Banned
Come on Sega, Valkryia Chronicles and Bayonetta should be more than enough for you to understand there IS a market for Japanese PC games. Bring Vanquish and Resonance of Fate to PC.

Spaghetti

If the PC version of Shenmue 3 sells well maybe Sega will think about porting the Yakuza series
Not really sure what, if any, impact Shenmue III will have on SEGA's PC port plans. The market for Yakuza on PC has been there for years, they've just not moved on testing the waters... yet.

If the PC version of Shenmue 3 sells well maybe Sega will think about porting the Yakuza series

I feel like because the console versions of Yakuza don't sell amazingly well in the west, they'll think that there just isn't demand AT ALL in the west which just isn't the case.

The series can be ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE if they just take the chance to give it some marketing, give it some push.

And perhaps most importantly, give it a PC version. Yakuza 6 would be a great point for newcomers to get into the series.

I feel like because the console versions of Yakuza don't sell amazingly well in the west, they'll think that there just isn't demand AT ALL in the west which just isn't the case.

The series can be ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE if they just take the chance to give it some marketing, give it some push.

And perhaps most importantly, give it a PC version. Yakuza 6 would be a great point for newcomers to get into the series.

Plus the upped frame rate and load times for 6 on the PC would be a dream come true (60 FPS Yakuza 6 sounds so darn nice!).

But I'd really like the PS3 gen Yakuza titles get PC ports. The idea of having higher res, better textured ports running at at least 60FPS would finally get me to fix/update my PC!

Spaghetti

Yakuza 6 would be a great point for newcomers to get into the series.
A backport of 0 and Kiwami might be better, no?

I know 6 is the latest but... it's not necessarily the greatest going by how middling a reception it got from fans in Japan.

You'll probably never get a sure consensus on which entries are the best, but by most accounts both in the East and West, 0 is probably the best received the series has been to date. Might as well start with that, considering it's technically the chronological beginning of the saga anyway.

A backport of 0 and Kiwami might be better, no?

I know 6 is the latest but... it's not necessarily the greatest going by how middling a reception it got from fans in Japan.

You'll probably never get a sure consensus on which entries are the best, but by most accounts both in the East and West, 0 is probably the best received the series has been to date. Might as well start with that, considering it's technically the chronological beginning of the saga anyway.
It certainly is the best point for newcomers, but I can't say for sure how difficult it might be to port that to the PC.

Ideally yes, they'd port 0 and Kiwami before moving onto 6 but I feel like the technological leap that 6 made is large enough for them to start with it for the PC.

Alternatively, they could just also port the new games to the PC. Y6 is Kiryu's last game anyway so they're most likely going to go in a whole new direction with the game. It would be a great way to bring in a new crowd.

Best case scenario would be that they bring all PS3 games and then Y6 to the PC. But that's pretty much less than a pipedream.

Spaghetti

It certainly is the best point for newcomers, but I can't say for sure how difficult it might be to port that to the PC.

Ideally yes, they'd port 0 and Kiwami before moving onto 6 but I feel like the technological leap that 6 made is large enough for them to start with it for the PC.

Alternatively, they could just also port the new games to the PC. Y6 is Kiryu's last game anyway so they're most likely going to go in a whole new direction with the game. It would be a great way to bring in a new crowd.

Best case scenario would be that they bring all PS3 games and then Y6 to the PC. But that's pretty much less than a pipedream.
There's a PS4 version, so it's probably not the most arduous thing in the world to port 0 because of architecture similarities.

I think it really depends when SEGA decides to finally pull the trigger on Yakuza on PC.

If it's any time within the next year I could see them opting for 0 and Kiwami just to let the PS4 version of 6 have its day in the sun. Expand the fanbase, and keep Sony happy with an "exclusive" at the same time. Two birds with one stone.

There's a PS4 version, so it's probably not the most arduous thing in the world to port 0 because of architecture similarities.

I think it really depends when SEGA decides to finally pull the trigger on Yakuza on PC.

If it's any time within the next year I could see them opting for 0 and Kiwami just to let the PS4 version of 6 have its day in the sun. Expand the fanbase, and keep Sony happy with an "exclusive" at the same time. Two birds with one stone.
True enough, it's certainly doable.

I feel like there are 2 things that might attribute to their lack of willingness to give the series it's due on the PC.

One is it's design philosophy of a game made by and for the Japanese/Asian market. Nagoshi-san and Kikuchi-san have publicly said that the core audience for this franchise has always been the Japanese adult market. The releases that the west gets has ALWAYS been at least 1 year behind the japanese release. They expect the japanese release to cover the money for the development and turn a profit, and the western release to cover the expense of the localization and turn a profit, even if it's pretty mild in comparison to the JPN/Asian release.

Second is that the PC is simply not that popular among the Japanese crowd. It's certainly been growing recently, but until it becomes big enough for big publishers to start throwing their weight on the platform, it's not really getting a PC version.

Never forget that SEGA was perfectly fine with the series not getting anymore localizations when Dead Souls bombed hard in the west. Yakuza 5 was still a profitable venture for them with only a Japanese/Asian release and it wasn't until Sony stepped in and offered backing to develop a localized version of Yakuza 5 did SEGA become interested in maintaining the western releases.

It's a rather old and antiquated way of looking at things tbh, but it's a theme that's sadly been pretty damn prevalent in a lot of the big Japanese publishers.

I guess this is relevant here:

Bayonetta is out now on PC, we spoke to Platinum about making it happen
"The PC market is huge and can definitely not be ignored. We are absolutely aware of that, and we’ve always felt this way," a spokesperson for Platinum told PC Gamer. "We’ve always had a positive stance towards porting our titles to PC, but the decisions as to which platforms we release our games on, and which platforms are the main focus for the games we make are largely made by the publishers, so this is not something we can decide on our own.

"However, most third party publishers nowadays realize the PC should not be ignored, so I believe we should be able to become more actively involved in the PC market from here on out."
Platinum continues, suggesting if it were the developer's decision alone it'd see all of its games ported to PC—"if it were up to us, we’d port all of our games to PC, but it all depends on the publishers"—such as Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns. If Bayonetta on PC is a success though, might that encourage Platinum to make another?

"We still feel strongly about putting more consideration into the PC market. If our current efforts prove successful, this will only make PC development more attractive."

carlton_dancing_zps9a44e84a.gif~c200

Spaghetti

True enough, it's certainly doable.

I feel like there are 2 things that might attribute to their lack of willingness to give the series it's due on the PC.

One is it's design philosophy of a game made by and for the Japanese/Asian market. Nagoshi-san and Kikuchi-san have publicly said that the core audience for this franchise has always been the Japanese adult market. The releases that the west gets has ALWAYS been at least 1 year behind the japanese release. They expect the japanese release to cover the money for the development and turn a profit, and the western release to cover the expense of the localization and turn a profit, even if it's pretty mild in comparison to the JPN/Asian release.

Second is that the PC is simply not that popular among the Japanese crowd. It's certainly been growing recently, but until it becomes big enough for big publishers to start throwing their weight on the platform, it's not really getting a PC version.

Never forget that SEGA was perfectly fine with the series not getting anymore localizations when Dead Souls bombed hard in the west. Yakuza 5 was still a profitable venture for them with only a Japanese/Asian release and it wasn't until Sony stepped in and offered backing to develop a localized version of Yakuza 5 did SEGA become interested in maintaining the western releases.

It's a rather old and antiquated way of looking at things tbh, but it's a theme that's sadly been pretty damn prevalent in a lot of the big Japanese publishers.
Unfortunately it's the same old push and pull between East and West at SEGA. You'd think they would have woken up once PC became a core part of SEGA's business strategy and tried working towards a unified vision of bringing stuff over, but I guess deep change like that needs more time.

But y'know, I don't think Nagoshi & co are particularly precious about only catering to the Japanese market; if they see an opportunity to give the series some more worldwide mainstream success then I don't see them standing in the way of it. At some point, Yakuza's rise in popularity and SEGA's PC focus have to join up, even if the PC market doesn't grow significantly in Japan. It's only really a matter of time until they put the puzzle pieces together and see there's money to be made.

It'll happen eventually. There's just a small laundry list of other titles that will see priority for porting first. If SEGA can speed up the process and maintain quality, then hopefully something is said about Yakuza in the next two years.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Having good Bayonetta PC sales will definitely increase the chance for other ports, as it shows the publishers that there are money to be make on the PC even if its old games.

What I want from Sega to port is Yakuza series, then Vanquish and Shenmue series

Its the perfect series to bring back on the 3ds IMO. A full remake is too expensive, if they dont want to altered and of the original assets and keep it faithful to the original, get M2 to port it over to 3ds with 3D effect.

I wish Sega (and devs in general were better during those times) at keeping source code. If we see the much needed Saga port in my lifetime I'll be surprised.

Either way, I hope the flood gates are open now

As much as i am happy with Bayonetta seeing it's port released, it absolutely disgusts me that Shenmue has not at least been ported or more than justified, remastered.

We are coming up on the 2 year anniversary of the biggest Kickstarter ever, which clearly screamed that there is a market for a re-release of the franchise and all we have gotten is a registration of a website (which is most certainly NOT a confirmation), and some wishy washy comments about licensing issues being a difficulty, BUT it does have Segas full attention. That's despicable treatment to be honest, and with E3 fast approaching, i don't believe Sega has the interests to revisit Shenmue despite the successful Kickstarter of Shenmue 3. They didn't promote it once, nor have they helped out with it in any way, shape or form.

Well done and I'm happy for Bayonetta fans, but Sega can fuck off for the multitude of failings over the past decade, not just in regards to it's ignorance to Shenmue.

Nzyme32

As much as i am happy with Bayonetta seeing it's port released, it absolutely disgusts me that Shenmue has not at least been ported or more than justified, remastered.

We are coming up on the 2 year anniversary of the biggest Kickstarter ever, which clearly screamed that there is a market for a re-release of the franchise and all we have gotten is a registration of a website (which is most certainly NOT a confirmation), and some wishy washy comments about licensing issues being a difficulty, BUT it does have Segas full attention. That's despicable treatment to be honest, and with E3 fast approaching, i don't believe Sega has the interests to revisit Shenmue despite the successful Kickstarter of Shenmue 3. They didn't promote it once, nor have they helped out with it in any way, shape or form.

Well done and I'm happy for Bayonetta fans, but Sega can fuck off for the multitude of failings over the past decade, not just in regards to it's ignorance to Shenmue.

I'm not sure why you would expect it to be so immediate. The kickstarter is a clear signal that the audience is there and that will certainly have got sega moving. Chances are they'll do a PC and PS4 port, and as far as PC goes rumours indicate this could be the case as well as the trademark thing being taken. With all the product rights and usage issues the games would have, and likely wanting to have such a release coincide with bigger events for the sake of marketing to a new audience, i don't see any reason to be so surprised nothing has happened or been publicly yelled about a remaster

So 2 years is regarded as "immediate"? Ok then. Will wait to see what E3 throws up, but my faith in them is more or less zero, and i sincerely hope, HOPE, that someone can quote this post in the near future if i am proved wrong, because i will humbly apologise to Sega for my negativity towards them for a long time.

Echoplx

Btw has MGR ever been fixed? Maybe get on that first.

There are minor issues that can be fixed easily, the Hz problem can be solved by running in borderless window mode and the resolution can be unlocked with a mod.

Don't expect Konami to ever greenlight more work on that game though.

Xiao Hu

I'm so happy about this recent development. I hope SEGA discovers PC to be a reliable platform. Next step: Bring Atlus games over to Steam.

gelf

Please Sega your whole OGXbox library, does games doesnt deserve to be trapped in that console forever.
My biggest wish. Emulation seems to be going nowhere fast with that system and it sad to think those Sega classics will be lost with it.

Top Bottom