• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Spaghetti

balance must be restored

bOvFfbh.jpg
We're ten years too early. :'(

As much as i am happy with Bayonetta seeing it's port released, it absolutely disgusts me that Shenmue has not at least been ported or more than justified, remastered.

We are coming up on the 2 year anniversary of the biggest Kickstarter ever, which clearly screamed that there is a market for a re-release of the franchise and all we have gotten is a registration of a website (which is most certainly NOT a confirmation), and some wishy washy comments about licensing issues being a difficulty, BUT it does have Segas full attention. That's despicable treatment to be honest, and with E3 fast approaching, i don't believe Sega has the interests to revisit Shenmue despite the successful Kickstarter of Shenmue 3. They didn't promote it once, nor have they helped out with it in any way, shape or form.

Well done and I'm happy for Bayonetta fans, but Sega can fuck off for the multitude of failings over the past decade, not just in regards to it's ignorance to Shenmue.
The frustration we all know well, but I think our time is coming.

I'm surprised that noone really seems to care about the fact that Bayonetta's PC version happens to also be the first major Sega PC port to get a Japanese release and some degree of Japanese marketing. Binary Domain, ToTDOverkill, and Valkyria on PC were exclusively their western versions with areas under SoJ region-locked out.

I mean, it's not "major" really, but it does suggest a possible beginning of a shift in Sega of Japan's attitude towards PC to be following the examples of Capcom and Konami (and Tecmo...) by releasing a PC port in Japan.

Tain

I'm surprised that noone really seems to care about the fact that Bayonetta's PC version happens to also be the first major Sega PC port to get a Japanese release and some degree of Japanese marketing. Binary Domain, ToTDOverkill, and Valkyria on PC were exclusively their western versions with areas under SoJ region-locked out.

I mean, it's not "major" really, but it does suggest a possible beginning of a shift in Sega of Japan's attitude towards PC to be following the examples of Capcom and Konami (and Tecmo...) by releasing a PC port in Japan.

I wasn't aware of that. Good! Hope they keep going with that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anarchy Reigns would never develop an online community.

People suggesting AR are actively trying to sabotage the PC port's from SEGA, it would *BOMB* super hard and they'd go back to being wary about doing more.

Just say no to Anarchy Reigns.

Pachael

Actually, I do find that a pleasant surprise, since that was a common complaint previously for Sega Europe titles (like how Sonic Transformed wasn't available there on Steam - you'd think there'd be appetite for a Mario Kart competitor like everywhere else)

Should start thinking (again) of whether to get Winning Post on Steam...

ArjanN

People suggesting AR are actively trying to sabotage the PC port's from SEGA, it would *BOMB* super hard and they'd go back to being wary about doing more.

To be fair, I think even they know that not everything can be a huge hit. Otherwise they wouldn't have to bother porting anything other than, say, Persona 5 or just new releases.

I think if Bayo does well the other Platinum stuff that isn't Nintendo is very likely.

Anarchy Reigns would probably still sell OK, given how few copies they probably have to sell to make their money back on ports of old stuff, most likely only a handful of coders work on a port like this for a relatively short time.

Shizzlee

It still has one. It is very small, but it exists. There were matches last weekend. The multiplayer is very fun and I think the PC crowd might give it the respect it deserves. I'll do my best to educate if a PC port materializes.

No we aren't. Console ports have performance issues with a framerate that's all over the place and both communities are on life-support. A PC port would help with those immensely and might end up more popular than either console port. Console versions bombed due to the delay and next to no advertising.

I'm going to continue saying yes.

Diabolical

Neo Member

I've got nothing at all against Anarchy Reigns, but I strongly agree with you.

Not only should a re-worked port of MadWorld take precedence over it for "semi-continuity" purposes, but for the sake of the initiative, SEGA should really just focus on the games in their portfolio that had at least some degree of commercial success. We all have our personal favorites and most of us should really be welcoming any title/s they commission a port for, but we do have to understand that they are a business too.

My point:

Anarchy Reigns was initially released as a region-free title in Japan (titled 'Max Anarchy') during the Summer of 2012 and it was in a 'fully translated' state when it debuted then for the HD Twins. Despite having an almost unheard of degree of import friendliness working in its favor, the game's sales were very, very low in Japan.

Then, SEGA announced that the game would be released in the West, but it would be sold at half its initial MSRP... and they even dodged the late 2012 holiday rush by releasing during early January of the following year, like the first Bayonetta did when it came West in January 2010. Despite those factors, Anarchy Reigns still sold very, very poorly... even with added preorder bonuses. It had a $29.99 USD (instead of $59.99) launch day price point. It's a total myth that SEGA didn't "try" with both MadWorld and Anarchy Reigns -- the latter was even on sale for $4.99 during an active Summer month on Xbox Live's digital Marketplace and for that same price point on the PSN Store during a Winter holiday sale.

To this day, people associate the team behind Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy with Platinum's poorest efforts (of which there are few), namely TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan, The Legend of Korra, etc. It would be a gamble to pursue an Anarchy Reigns PC port for all kinds of reasons. With Bayonetta, there was a degree of IP recognition, very strong critical acclaim, and a much more robust fanbase in tow even almost a decade later. Therefore, porting Bayonetta to PC made sense. However, Anarchy Reigns has none of those things going for it.

With Anarchy Reigns, a PC port would also open up a situational quagmire. Due to the primary focus being its online component and the general nature of the game, a lot more work would "probably" need to be done, since a degree of continued commitment and investment might be required. As an earlier GAF member posted, it would need some serious TLC... and it would need it for a sustained period of time due to it being online multiplayer-centric. As we've seen in the past, the presence of an online multiplayer component is by no means a guarantee of success when it comes to PC. That used to be a common misconception -and probably still is- with some people.

SEGA would have to seriously consider the best route to take, but I'd welcome even their non-PlatinumGames Inc. based catalog as well. They have decades worth of IP they can pursue that people still want. Like the rest of you here, as a devoted fan of SEGA's software (especially Shenmue, Shenmue II, and Vanquish), whatever they decide to do from here is fine by me. I'll support it, but I just want them to go for what's more likely to succeed.

Just want to say "Thank You" to SEGA for being responsible for the games we all adore and also to show some appreciation to the creators of the petition that got this ball rolling (TaroYamada, Grief.exe).

Battlechili

Banned
Petition said:
it is with great regret that under our adopted metric we cannot include other, very popular, requests such as Yakuza,Catherine and Persona as well as less popular requests like Chromehounds, 7th Dragon, SEGA Racing Classic or Hatsune Miku, or even requests that your currently existing PC back-catalog (Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon, Last Bronx, Puyo Pop Fever) be released on modern digital services.
I just noticed this petition for the first time. Seeing this in there made me sad; As great as it is that Bayonetta got ported, and as popular as Vanquish is, Persona and 7th Dragon are the most interesting titles brought up out of anything in SEGA's backlog in my opinion. ;_;

Seriously, the 7th Dragon series needs more love. Its like Etrian Odyssey but more scifi and more traditional in its JRPG-ness. I realize that stuff like Vanquish is more likely to be a success, but if NISA's published PC ports are any indication, even smaller titles getting less sales can still be successful on the platform (or at least I assume that; I can't imagine why NISA would keep porting their lower tier games if they weren't satisfied with the sales of them)

Mechazawa

The notion that Sega shouldn't port Anarchy Reigns because it might hinder continual PC efforts is completely god damn absurd.

Sega knows how much Anarchy Reigns sold, they're not going to magically start pulling insane numbers out of thin air for their expectations.

Oreiller

The notion that Sega shouldn't port Anarchy Reigns because it might hinder continual PC efforts is completely god damn absurd.

Sega knows how much Anarchy Reigns sold, they're not going to magically start pulling insane numbers out of thin air for their expectations.

Yep, I agree with this. That's why I don't expect to see AR on PC anytime soon, there are many Sega titles that would sell much better.

Then again, they decided to port Sonic Lost World so who knows...

Ascheroth

I didn't know this, that's cool. And yeah, could definitely (hopefully?) suggest changes in Sega Japans attitude.

I never understood the reasoning behind locking a pc port of a japanese game out of japan. Sure, PC isn't that big there - but how would it realistically be, if they don't even get their own games on PC, just the rest of the world?

gelf

The reason people worry about this is based on past Sega decisions though. There was a time after they went on a porting spree with the likes of Nights and Jet Set Radio etc that things got very quiet and the impression was that Sega cut back on the porting effort due to disappointing sales.

I want everything possible to be ported but I worry about the highly cautious nature of Sega Japan.

wazoo

Vanquish and ROF, please. I own them on my soon-to-be-dead-in-the-future ps3. I will rebuy them in full 1080p glory anytime.

pa22word

The reason people worry about this is based on past Sega decisions though. There was a time after they went on a porting spree with the likes of Nights and Jet Set Radio etc that things got very quiet and the impression was that Sega cut back on the porting effort due to disappointing sales.

I want everything possible to be ported but I worry about the highly cautious nature of Sega Japan.

Yeah, this.

People are understandably timid and want Sega to put the great shit out first before they decide to put another awful sonic game out, get hurt that it bombed, and get fickle again >.>

Vanquish is my number one priority from them at this point...I get that and anything else is just gravy.

One thing though is that PG absolutely has to put in the work to properly do mouse controls for that game. There's no excuse for the acceleration issues that plague their games existing over and over again when the EDF guys (who presumably have attempted to play a shooter with a mouse before) got it right instantly out of the gate. I might cry if the game launches and it has the nearly unplayably bad levels of negative acceleration that Nier has given Vanquish's infinitely more shooter focused gameplay :'(

Ascheroth

The Steamspy numbers for Bayo should stabilize tomorrow and represent more or less how well the game is doing, right?
No.
Tomorrow we'll have the data for 3 days ago (release day). The only thing that tells us is that it will have already sold more than that.
Give it a week and a half for week 1 numbers, which should be more useful.

I'm guessing sales are around 40-50k first week. This game might have legs though simply due to the sheer quality on display. People will keep recommending it for decades to come.

ezodagrom

No.
Tomorrow we'll have the data for 3 days ago (release day). The only thing that tells us is that it will have already sold more than that.
Give it a week and a half for week 1 numbers, which should be more useful.
If I'm thinking this right, we'll probably have day 1 numbers when steamspy updates 2 more times (in about 8 hours and 15 mins, and then 24 more hours, if I'm not mistaken).

I want Vanquish and I want a Vanquish PVP mode. I don't care if the PVP mode is official or if it's a mod I just want it.

images%2Farticle%2F2016%2F12%2F22%2Fveins.gif

Having said that, I'm so happy that Bayonetta is on PC now. I plan to play it tonight when I get home.

Diabolical

Neo Member
...but they should really do Vanquish and MadWorld first.

Definitely agree with you. Those two should precede it for sure (if it were to happen).

If the thought process you just presented held any merit, then the game (which ended on a semi-cliffhanger) would have had an actual sequel by now.

The game's sales and reception just were not there, despite SEGA's underscored efforts. Anarchy Reigns sold a lot worse than MadWorld did, despite being released on TWO "hardcore gamer" platforms that had a combined userbase that eclipsed the Wii's (by that point). That was at a time when the overall software attach rate was pretty good on the Xbox 360 and the PS3. And yes, SEGA is privy to this information moreso than either of us.

Exactly. The same thing appeared to have happened following the PC release of Sonic Lost World, where the game 'underperformed' there.

As a result, prior to this "sudden" Bayonetta April Fool's campaign/release, people were concerned that the PC's party bus had crashed.

Yeah, this.

People are understandably timid and want Sega to put the great shit out first before they decide to put another awful sonic game out, get hurt that it bombed, and get fickle again >.>

Particularly in the case of Anarchy Reigns, the game is currently dead online on PSN (not sure about Xbox Live). It would literally be pure luck to even fill a random four-player match... or even see someone online at all outside of the few lingering stragglers that check the game weekly or monthly. The multiplayer is that dead. It takes excessive planning and 'invite spamming' just to get a room together, and even then it might not start. There used to be a sole 'misfit' (or two) camping the game all day and night, but not anymore.

I imported this game years ago. Contrary to what was stated earlier, the framerate isn't really bad or unplayable by any means. The performance of the game online just differs from how it behaves offline. The online netcode is what is 'all over the place'. Regardless of any of this, it is the nature of the game itself that will always be a tough pill to digest for the masses.

Anarchy Reigns would always have a 'high' turnover rate. The people who don't like it will then spread the word and then it will be dead all over again just like it is now. The only difference is, SEGA will have 'potentially' lost money on it again... and could then hit the brakes on efforts that would have been better served elsewhere.

And that is part of the reason why many of us are worried.

VF5s should be next, it would probably be quite simple and cheap since it runs on a PC arcade board.

Shenmue I can see the hesitation, it would given it's size and scope be an expensive game to port, they are probably going to wait and see how Shenmue 3 does, which seems like a very reasonable thing to do in my opinion.

VF5s should be next, it would probably be quite simple and cheap since it runs on a PC arcade board.

Shenmue I can see the hesitation, it would given it's size and scope be an expensive game to port, they are probably going to wait and see how Shenmue 3 does, which seems like a very reasonable thing to do in my opinion.

Re: Shenmue, I wonder if this is still a thing:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1331226

Spaghetti

Really? Because it sounds pretty ignorant and tone-deaf of the market from my perspective.

If a double Guinness World Record breaking Kickstarter, monthly fan campaigns (the same ones that built the data metrics for Sony to do a publishing/marketing deal for III), and strong merchandise sales aren't enough to get SEGA to jump on the train sooner rather than later, they're leaving money on the table.

Luckily, the indication from SEGA is that they are doing something. The domain registrations aren't really the smoking gun people think they are, however.

SEGA Europe's COO brought the series up unprovoked during interviews and expressed desire to do a "fantastic conversion to the current platforms" last year. They also acknowledged there is desire within the company to do Remasters, so it's not just driven by fan pressure either. As far as I'm aware, this is really the first time anybody from SEGA (let alone someone of this seniority) has done this in regards to Shenmue. As someone who very much remembers the long period where SEGA would only talk about the series when cornered with questions, this is a big thing.

SEGA's attitude to Shenmue in general has changed significantly in recent years. They're going to take advantage of the fact curiosity and interest in the series is as high as it's possibly ever been.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Anarchy Reigns, please.

That game would benefit from 60fps + a robust-ish online player base so much.

Top Bottom