• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

2 people on Amazon are selling Panzer Dragoon Saga for 360 bucks and it includes all 4 discs, the case and manual...

That's the cheapest I've seen for that game recently.
Bah, I sold mine CIB for 249.99 on Amazon last November. Still turned a slight profit after purchasing it for 170 a couple of years ago, though.

IrishNinja

...a gaffer just sold me a disc only version of Burning Rangers for $30 last night, i'm still pretty hyped about it! i know i'll likely die before finding the manual but fuck it, i'm gonna get a sports game or whatever & print out front & back covers and call it a day, feels great taking that white whale off my list while it's still rising, especially paying about what the game is actually worth

prolly gonna make peace with the JP bomberman game one day, leaving Shining Force III. i still have to finish 2 & CD first anyway.

alf717

I grabbed my s-video cable in the early 2000s for no more than $7. For some it might be better to just mod in S-video since you should be able to tap into the s-video signal right off the motherboard.

...a gaffer just sold me a disc only version of Burning Rangers for $30 last night, i'm still pretty hyped about it! i know i'll likely die before finding the manual but fuck it, i'm gonna get a sports game or whatever & print out front & back covers and call it a day, feels great taking that white whale off my list while it's still rising, especially paying about what the game is actually worth

prolly gonna make peace with the JP bomberman game one day, leaving Shining Force III. i still have to finish 2 & CD first anyway.

Nice grab man. I love Burning Rangers. And nice graphics too. Saturn, we hardly knew ye... I would have loved Saturn being able to suceed and float on until 2000... maybe get a slightly beefier Dreamcast specs wise.

Someone on the Saturn board on Gamefaqs of all places alerted me to some S-Video cables being sold on eBay back in 2012 for $18 shipped. Good quality, too.

That was actually my first foray into anything beyond composite for any pre 6th gen systems, too. Glad I jumped on when I did.

noquarter

Oh, God yes. In my mind that still remains the biggest leap in 3D graphics. It was insane. Sonic Adventure blew my mind. Maybe my age as a youngster, barely a teen, impacted my feelings on the Dreamcast.

DC got me as well. Seeing Soul Calibur and NFL 2K just made it so difficult to look at 32-bit CD games and not laugh.

DC looked good as hell at the time. SC was mindblowing. Way nicer looking than the System 12 original.

edit: congrats on Burning Rangers, Irish

nice!

DC looked good as hell at the time. SC was mindblowing. Way nicer looking than the System 12 original.
Now you got me wanting to boot up SC through VGA to see if it still holds up. It took massive shts on everything that was available at the time.

OK I will stop derailing the Saturn thread with my DC love

JLynn

Last year I asked if black Action Replay 4MPlus units existed. I was given a link to a UK store selling them but I was reluctant on buying one because my original grey one still functioned but my Saturn didn't. After the Labor Day holiday I plan on getting my Saturn unit repaired and restored and I found a guy on ebay who was selling just the plastic shells for guys like me. Score.

Poland based ebayer posting

ouDT6Gyl.jpg

I believe the guy is gutting out the AR units and selling the shells as is because the plastic feels exact to the original light grey. The differences are the label isn't as glossy as the original, and it takes up less real estate. However the colors are deeper and more detailed compared to my faded label. Good compromise for the many of us who wanted it without parting our copies. Problem is the seller is based in Poland, so the delivery time will be long if you live in the US. It took almost three weeks for this to be delivered to my home in Wilmington, DE.

IrishNinja

^having played countless forgettable RPG's from that era that padded way too much between necessary grinding & sidequests that developed neither plot nor character/lore/etc...can't agree more with that statement

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
10h still seems low, too. Maybe you missed out on some stuff? Pretty sure if you take your time and explore properly you can reach 15-20 hours, unless I'm really remembering wrong.

gelf

I think my first playthrough was about 15-20 hours. It was a perfect length to me. Added grind wouldn't have improved the game.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
10h still seems low, too. Maybe you missed out on some stuff? Pretty sure if you take your time and explore properly you can reach 15-20 hours, unless I'm really remembering wrong.
haven't finished, just got to disk 4

as of right now Shining Force III is the only expensive NA Saturn game worth its price tag lol. but I haven't played Dragon Force

as of right now Shining Force III is the only expensive NA Saturn game worth its price tag lol. but I haven't played Dragon Force

I'd argue that Working Design's Sega Ages compilation is another pricey NA game actually worth its price, even though the individual JP releases are nicer.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'd argue that Working Design's Sega Ages compilation is another pricey NA game actually worth its price, even though the individual JP releases are nicer.
I've got OutRun and Space Harrier and they look so good on the WEGA. Still gotta pick up After Burner II but the looming 3D release makes it a hard sale.

mltplkxr

I'd put SF III over DF. DF is a great JRPG but it's pretty much standard JRPG fair. SF III, while the pseudo-3D might be dated, the game is deep. It's one of my favorite games of all time though so I'm biased.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah, that's probably going to be my first purchase, plus some more games.

Speaking of which, what games are considered both really cheap yet still pretty fun? I do have a list of games I want to buy but a lot of them tend to fall into the 25-50$ range or even worse.
FYI, I just realized that I have a spare beat-up composite video cable for Saturn. You can have it for just the price of shipping if you want.

Teknoman

Dragon Force is pretty awesome, and i've only played a few battles in it.

EDIT: So it would be best to just get the japanese individual Ages releases?

Teknoman

They call it the king for a reason. Please don't say you picked Highland.

I just messed around in Wein's scenario, but i'm not ready to sit down with the game proper. Gotta decide what RPG and what system to tackle after playing Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer (which apparently isnt that long, but I havent really had time to play).

cj_iwakura

I just messed around in Wein's scenario, but i'm not ready to sit down with the game proper. Gotta decide what RPG and what system to tackle after playing Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer (which apparently isnt that long, but I havent really had time to play).

It is the worst campaign in the game. Avoid.

Mikhal

Not denying that, but I typically recommend a campaign where the captured monarchs join you for a first playthrough. Summon Reaper is too good!

Khaz

Found this for $6 complete and bought it on your recommendation. What the heck, I liked Landtalker and Alundra, dunno why I never got it before.

You will be wondering that all your
multiple
playthrough. It's a personal favourite of mine too.

Khaz

And I just finished my region mod. This one took my the better part of my evening. I don't like working on the Saturn motherboard, traces and solder spots are tiny, and because there are so many revisions you really have to check everything in order not to make a serious mistake. I'm glad it's done though, together with the 50/60Hz switch I won't have to open the console anymore. Well I still need to install a mod chip but that's as easy as plugging two ribbon cables and soldering one cable, I don't need to remove the PSU or the shield plate anymore. Tomorrow I'll drill holes in the back door to have everything clean but right now, it's good enough :).

Both the Dragon Forces I have been watching for a while were won by the same guy today. Or one with the suspiciously the same feedback and random letters at beginning and end of name. Shitsux. Can't wait to see them relisted for $100 more.

Teknoman

Both the Dragon Forces I have been watching for a while were won by the same guy today. Or one with the suspiciously the same feedback and random letters at beginning and end of name. Shitsux. Can't wait to see them relisted for $100 more.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did he win them for?

Also I suppose printing out the first page of a Saturn / Sega CD manual should work fine for cover art...

...a gaffer just sold me a disc only version of Burning Rangers for $30 last night

Man I wish I could get that deal.

Top Bottom