• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Krejlooc

Banned
wow, that sounds amazing. if it works in canada then I am so down to run some games

ENt7jOT.jpg

This will get you back online with saturn (and some dreamcast) games. Best of all? It's the best 56k speed you'll ever get. As in, constant, never dipping actual 56k down.

The phone line simulator is a TLS 3 and the router is a netopia R2121. Like I said, I have like 10 R2121 routers - they can be hard to find - but only 1 TSL3.
EDIT: Just looked it up - there are 2 TSL3s on ebay right now... one going for $299 and one going for $4000. lol I probably should have mentioned that these things are hard to find.

Teknoman

Why did games stop using Redbook audio after the Sega Saturn? I dont think anything PS1 used it? Or maybe im misinformed. It just seems like Sega CD, Turbo CD, and Saturn games that used redbook had a special bit of aural...punch.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Redbook audio takes up an awful lot of space. As games got bigger and FMV became more prominent (and audio compression methods got better), it just wasn't practical in a lot of cases.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hmm...

So, there's this memory I have of a Sega Saturn game that I've never been able to figure out what it was. I remember it was a racing game I believe, and it was really cartoony...like Wacky Races. One of the character was like a 50s gangster penguin I believe? Ring any bells?

Nice thread, by the way. My grandpa got me a Sega Saturn one Christmas, and though I don't know where it is now, I had a lot of fun with it. Sonic Jam, Sonic R, Bug Too!, and Gex were the main games I remember playing. Also had some stupid game called "Three Dirty Dwarves", but damn if that wasn't an awesome title.

Ms. Tea

Why did games stop using Redbook audio after the Sega Saturn? I dont think anything PS1 used it? Or maybe im misinformed. It just seems like Sega CD, Turbo CD, and Saturn games that used redbook had a special bit of aural...punch.

IIRC the PS1 provided an official codec and dev tools, and hardware decoding for it. Sega didn't provide the same, and third-party compressed audio middleware didn't end up becoming very popular. (A few games, like X-Men vs Street Fighter and SotN, use something.)

Mikhal

Hmm...

So, there's this memory I have of a Sega Saturn game that I've never been able to figure out what it was. I remember it was a racing game I believe, and it was really cartoony...like Wacky Races. One of the character was like a 50s gangster penguin I believe? Ring any bells?

Hmmm... Pen Pen TriIcelon for the Dreamcast perhaps?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hmmm... Pen Pen TriIcelon for the Dreamcast perhaps?

OMG, I definitely remember that game pretty fondly as well, but that's not it.

At this point I'm starting to think I dreamed up this game, or saw a movie and in my memory I recall it as a game. I remember that one Wallace and Gromit movie with the penguin played all the time on CN back in the day.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Decided to get off my lazy ass and finish something I started 15+ years ago: a reference chart of the actual item sets used in every multiplayer stage of Saturn Bomberman.

sbom_chart.png

Unlike some later entries in the series, this game doesn't let you pick and choose what specific items are thrown into the stage. Since there are so many stage variations, each with their own item set, sometimes it was tough to remember the stages that had specific items (as well as specific environmental hazards). So far I've just transcribed what I had from an ancient .txt into a proper spreadsheet. Now to finish filling in the boxes. And maybe make a reference webpage for this game while I'm at it, since nobody else on the internet ever seemed to break it down to this degree.

BearPawB

Banned
Does anyone remember:
?

I loved this game back in the day.

It did something I cant remember another game ever doing. Your performance in the first level dramatically branches the story. Now, I haven't played this since i was a lad, and I am sure it doesn't hold up.

But man...i loved this stupid game

I don't know if this was already asked (well, the thread is "only" 124 pages long), but... do you guys know any trick to make an old Saturn look brand new? Some people use car wax, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Khaz

I don't know if this was already asked (well, the thread is "only" 124 pages long), but... do you guys know any trick to make an old Saturn look brand new? Some people use car wax, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Wax is cool, it's inert and makes stuff shiny. I think you're safe with it.

What I'm still looking of is a method to rejuvenate rubbers, like the ones in controllers. Most people think rubber is like plastic and tell you to use petrol-based products or organic oil, stuff that is well known to mess with rubber (thanks to the condom industry for that knowledge). Water-based lubricant at least doesn't kill it but the only thing we know it does it making things slippery, no word on how to bring back to life a dried and stiff old condom rubber.

originalself

Neo Member
I loved Dark Savior. I remember beating all five parallels as a kid.

I am just now starting to rebuild my Saturn collection. The game with no name on the side is Astal. Fun little platformer.
IMG_20140729_121550_858.jpg

Khaz

If I had had that Astal box, the kid I was would totally have used crayons on the side to make up for that mistake. I would hate myself today.

ShowDog

Is there any decent Saturn homebrew that is worth looking into? Someone just figured out how to boot unlicensed software sans mod chip using a flashed Action Replay, which is generally considered a must-have Saturn peripheral anyway. Problem is right now it replaces all AR functionality aside from memory expansion and I haven't seen a use case outside of playing backups. The guy boots a backup as his proof-of-concept, you can check the video on Youtube if you want. It's called Pseudo-Saturn.

Fake-edit: I'm unable to find any interesting homebrew. Chime in if you know of any.

Mercutio

Is there any decent Saturn homebrew that is worth looking into? Someone just figured out how to boot unlicensed software sans mod chip using a flashed Action Replay, which is generally considered a must-have Saturn peripheral anyway. Problem is right now it replaces all AR functionality aside from memory expansion and I haven't seen a use case outside of playing backups. The guy boots a backup as his proof-of-concept, you can check the video on Youtube if you want. It's called Pseudo-Saturn.

Fake-edit: I'm unable to find any interesting homebrew. Chime in if you know of any.

I feel like the Saturn as an unlocked thing is still fairly new, and it's notoriously difficult to make stuff for. I bet it'll be a while.

Top Bottom