• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Guardian Force is like $80. It's rather expensive.

I fully support Layer Section as a first shmup attempt. Not too hard and really captivating.

I would also consider Cotton 2. Very beautiful and beginner friendly with its life bar.

Some might think of this as a crazy idea, but I've enlighten many peoples to the shmup sub-genre by showing them Dodonpachi. I can't recommend it enough. Might seem overwhelming at first, but it's really not as the game is more than fair with the bombs provision.

I had no idea Guardian Force went up in value so much! I must have bought it for like $15 five years ago.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Cotton 2 is only actually difficult if you ignore command shots and never use the seal mechanic. Cotton Boomerang is the one that's legitimately hard as nails.

Cotton 2 is only actually difficult if you ignore command shots and never use the seal mechanic. Cotton Boomerang is the one that's legitimately hard as nails.

Well said. Seriously, as long as you do this, you should beat Cotton 2 with little difficulty.

meppi

Can't have a Sega Saturn shooter recommendation party without this beauty right here:

ivCc6UcLJXDbT.jpg

ihvm6I0T2GQEC.png
ibsBi8uPXGTmnn.png
ibjVROmDcp1iIL.png

cj_iwakura

I don't think I own a single Saturn shmup. Always been an RPG beast for me. Maybe because they're so expensive. All the imports I own are RPGs: Sakura Wars 1 & 2, Dragon Force II, Soul Hackers, Devil Summoner 1, etc.

Also, we're voting on the second Saturn 2013 game in the Albert Odyssey thread.

Nominees include: Sakura Wars, NiGHTS, Shining Force 3, Shining The Holy Ark, and I think someone recommended Panzer Dragoon Saga, but I don't own it.

I'd also be down for Burning Rangers, Bug Too!, and Shining Wisdom.

GulAtiCa

What if we took a different route for March and did a shmup high score month. Trying to compete with each other to get a higher score.

Might be a dumb idea. :p

I don't think I own a single Saturn shmup. Always been an RPG beast for me. Maybe because they're so expensive. All the imports I own are RPGs: Sakura Wars 1 & 2, Dragon Force II, Soul Hackers, Devil Summoner 1, etc.

Also, we're voting on the second Saturn 2013 game in the Albert Odyssey thread.

Nominees include: Sakura Wars, NiGHTS, Shining Force 3, Shining The Holy Ark, and I think someone recommended Panzer Dragoon Saga, but I don't own it.

I'd also be down for Burning Rangers, Bug Too!, and Shining Wisdom.

Oooh, I'd be down for NiGHTS or Burning Rangers. (Considering they're the only one of those I own!)

Panzer Dragoon Saga... someday.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Man I love batsugun so much. Despite it's simplicity, it tops almost every other vert on the system for me. It just makes me happy to play it in a way few shumps can.

SKIM THE SURFACE OF THE SEA

GulAtiCa

Except for Soukyugurentai, Mega Man X4, Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean, and Shin Megam Tensei: Devil Summoner. Here is my current Sega Saturn collection:

(I also need to get the manual for Astal and Duke Nukem 3D, might be cheaper to buy a complete copy of the games)
Guess with the 4 new games coming, I now have 15 Sega Saturn games.

Cotton 2, although certainly not cheap, isn't all that tough, well not as much as Souky anyway. Also, calling Guardian Force generic but then going on recommending Gunbird feels weird to me, to say the least. I would put Gunbird in the same field as Strikers 1945 in term of "generic-ness".

Guardian Force is visually generic, not gameplay generic. For an intro to shmups I don't think that a 360-degree tank shooter is really the best option.

Guardian Force is visually generic, not gameplay generic. For an intro to shmups I don't think that a 360-degree tank shooter is really the best option.

Never said it was. I'm not the one who recommended it :) It just struck me as weird to call Guardian Force "generic". Makes more sense with your clarification though.

I'm not about to pull out all of the games I own and take a picture just yet, but I own ...

Baroque
Burning Rangers
Deep Fear
Dragon Force
Eiyuu Densetsu I & II
Enemy Zero
Grandia
Gun Griffon
Langrisser I & II
Lunar
Lunar 2
NiGHTS into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Azel (Saga)
Princess Crown
Samurai Spirits Bushido something or another (RPG)
Shining Force III Scenario 1
Shining Force III Scenario 2
SMT Devil Summoner
SMT Soul Hackers
Tactics Ogre
Terra Phantastica
Virtual On
WachenRoder

I'm looking to get rid of:

Langrisser III
Langrisser IV

Langrisser III and IV are considered bad, aren't they?

I don't know if they're bad, but they're flat out embarrassing. III has nipples on the character designs. IV has better designs, but the opening has "Ni~~~cha~~~~~n" moaning from a character that's just too much for me to handle. I'm disappointed because I like the idea of the squad based strategy game, but at least Saturn still has Terra Phantastica.

I own TFIV on Genesis. Any advantage to the Saturn version?/
No slowdown and the music is streamed from the disc (or so I've read) which means no dropped audio. It's pretty fantastic to see in action. Now you can really appreciate the crazy boss animations. I would put it above even a TFIV played on an overclocked Genesis.

Really nice shmup collection, by the way!

No slowdown and the music is streamed from the disc (or so I've read) which means no dropped audio. It's pretty fantastic to see in action. Now you can really appreciate the crazy boss animations. I would put it above even a TFIV played on an overclocked Genesis.

Really nice shmup collection, by the way!

But I also hear the sound emulation is a little on the rough side.

And thanks! Same to you, you've got a good start with Garegga and Souky. I would drag out the Dreamcast shmups but it's too late, yawn.

But I also hear the sound emulation is a little on the rough side.
Actually, the sound is a bit clearer. Maybe not as bass heavy as on a model 1 Genesis with a good board though.

I only have maybe 4 Dreamcast shmups. I'm hoping my Saturn collection will grow a little next week. I'm working on acquiring a Batsugun.

I don't have enough clear flat space to take a photo of my collection, so have a list instead. NTSC-U and complete-in-box, unless otherwise stated.

• Astal
  • Baku Baku Animal (disc and manual only)
  • Bootleg Sampler (Clockwork Knight 2, Sega Rally Championship and World Series Baseball playable, and a ton of videos otherwise)
  • BUG! (disc and maybe manual only)
  • Burning Rangers
  • Clockwork Knight
  • Clockwork Knight 2
  • Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
  • Darius Gaiden
  • Daytona USA (disc only, in original sleeve from 3-in-1)
  • Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
  • Some Japanese Digimon game
  • Doom (JPN) (disc only)
  • FIFA '97
  • Gex
  • Guardian Heroes (disc and box only; no manual)
  • Magic Knight Rayearth
  • MechWarrior 2
  • Mega Man 8: Anniversary Edition
  • Mega Man X4 (disc and manual only)
  • NiGHTS Into Dreams... (version that came with the 3D controller, so the box is the size of a normal jewel case)
  • NiGHTS Into Dreams... Sampler
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Panzer Dragoon Zwei
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Pebble Beach Golf Links
  • Powerslave
  • Rayman
  • Sega Rally Championship
  • Shining the Holy Ark (disc and manual only)
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic R
  • Sonic Jam
  • Street Fighter Collection
  • Tomb Raider
  • Virtua Cop (disc only, in original sleeve from 3-in-1)
  • Virtua Fighter 2 (disc only, in original sleeve from 3-in-1)
  • wipEout
  • Worms
  • X-Men vs. Street Fighter (JPN)

Yes Boss!

Here is my collection I've built over the last few years. Mostly shooters but a few platformers. I'm probably only halfway to completing my collection. Still about twenty more shooters to get, all the fighters, and a dozen platformers...and maybe a few of the NA localised RGPs. I do also have Enemy Zero US release. And I want to add some of the racers like Outrun.

From reading this thread I guess I've got the bad version of Souky? Should I be getting the other version with the bigger subtitle on the package? I did not even know there were two different japanese releases.

9acf2a39-9e0a-4e1c-b333-3fc533a34e70_zpsd62f69e6.jpg

4d2c7b7b-132f-43e8-b4ca-67608abebf3b_zps415e94bf.jpg

9e540304-8f3b-4aad-b81b-fb2edd469b65_zps2f14398b.jpg

woodypop

From reading this thread I guess I've got the bad version of Souky? Should I be getting the other version with the bigger subtitle on the package? I did not even know there were two different japanese releases.
What's this about a "bad" version of Soukyugurentai?

Man, it seems everyone and their brother has Hyper Duel. I want, but so expensive. =(

How is Sengoku Blade? I'm kind of drawn to it, but is it worth the cost/tracking down?

It's probably considered standard fare, but I really like Strikers 1945. It's not too hard, and scratches my shmup itch when I need a quick fix.

Yes Boss!

What's this about a "bad" version of Soukyugurentai?

Man, it seems everyone and their brother has Hyper Duel. I want, but so expensive. =(

How is Sengoku Blade? I'm kind of drawn to it, but is it worth the cost/tracking down?

It's probably considered standard fare, but I really like Strikers 1945. It's not too hard, and scratches my shmup itch when I need a quick fix.

Not really sure aout the two different versions of Souky. Seems like everybody has the different version of mine, thinking mine is older.

You just gotta bite the bullet on Hyper Duel. I put it off for a few years and then just decided to buy. Have not played it yet, though.

Sengoku seems easy. It is kinda average...like Metal Black. Good games, but there are a lot better.

Wish I picked up Panzer Dragoon Saga when I had the chance :( Picked up a couple english Rayearths though. and that Segata Sanshiro masterpiece ;)

cj_iwakura

My quirky collection:
(Consider I've owned most of these for 10+ years)
hzfh76m.jpg

MN4UeYY.jpg

Z71JJs2.jpg

Yes, Mystaria and Blazing Heroes. The game so nice, they localized it twice!

(Has that EVER happened to any other game?)

Forgot Albert Odyssey since I'm playing it right now.

It wasn't localized twice so much as they had to rename it.

I kinda of prefer "Mystaria", tbh, but I've never played the game to know which name's more applicable. Both make me think of other games, though (Myst for "Mystaria", and Guardian Heroes mixed with either Blazing Dragons or Burning Rangers for "Blazing Heroes").

That was one of the videos on the Bootleg Sampler, actually. Wasn't much of a looker, was it? Even at the time, was really ugly. Still, it might be kind of fun.

ss_lemonade

Yes, Mystaria and Blazing Heroes. The game so nice, they localized it twice!

(Has that EVER happened to any other game?)

Lol didn't know that. What was the difference between the 2?

Also, wasn't there a sequel for this? Read about it before on an old magazine

cj_iwakura

It wasn't localized twice so much as they had to rename it.

I kinda of prefer "Mystaria", tbh, but I've never played the game to know which name's more applicable. Both make me think of other games, though (Myst for "Mystaria", and Guardian Heroes mixed with either Blazing Dragons or Burning Rangers for "Blazing Heroes").

That was one of the videos on the Bootleg Sampler, actually. Wasn't much of a looker, was it? Even at the time, was really ugly. Still, it might be kind of fun.

It's a very fun game, but yeah, it's ugly.

The world is called Mystaria, so it's better. The name got changed for obvious reasons.

There's no difference but the title change and some in-game country names.

meppi

Not really sure aout the two different versions of Souky. Seems like everybody has the different version of mine, thinking mine is older.

I wouldn't worry about Soukyu as long as you have a Japanese Saturn and not just a 4-1 cart to play imports on a US/PAL system.
You have the original release, same as mine, which works perfectly fine on Japanese systems, but has glitched text when using a 4-1 cart.
The other version you're seeing is a SataKore like re-release which was a bit cheaper at the time. It only includes a demo of Battle Garagga which is a bit messed for some reason or so I heard. And an option to use analogue controls of the NiGHTS pad.
So you're certainly not missing out on anything useful. ;)

meppi

Now that's some very interesting info! I had no idea that the Terra Diver assets were causing these problems.
When I first started importing Japanese Saturn games back in 97 I only had a pal Saturn and thus ran into these issues when picking up the game to play with my 4in1.

morch

just thought i'd join in the listing:
my pal load is in the loft packed away and has
Street fighter alpha 2
Shining Force 3
Panzer Dragoon saga
theme park
Resident Evil
Duke Nukem

all of which i aqquired as a kid... chuffed on the PDS still in good condition too :D, currently in tupperware

started getting some jap games since people have started selling them loads on ebay in the past year and i've been on holiday there twice, love trader :O and i seem to like collecting street fighter games lol got the saturn collection zero 2 dash for £22 on ebay :D

C.T.

Need some help. I can't get SSF to work. I mount the ISO (I still have my japanese saturn and games collection but was forced to gift my european saturn with all games to a friend, when I was younger, something I regret for life). Actually the only problem seems to be SSF to regocnize the ISO. I use 012_beta_R3 and as mounting tool magic ISO. I can only access the cd playback. It says "disc unsuitable for this system". Which seems to point to a wrongly set area, but the bios as well as the iso is set to US. I tested Shining Force III and Shining the Holy Arc. I read somewhere, that there might be a SSF bug, where it doesn't regocnize a changed area setting or something. Is there a easy way to reset my config?

Credo

I was thinking about going on a buying spree, but with this talk about 4-in-1 carts and glitches, I feel the need to ask a question.

I have a NA Saturn with the Action Replay 4-in-1 cart. If I could pick 2 shmups that have no issues on an NA Saturn with the cart, which 2 would you all recommend?

Yes Boss!

I wouldn't worry about Soukyu as long as you have a Japanese Saturn and not just a 4-1 cart to play imports on a US/PAL system.
You have the original release, same as mine, which works perfectly fine on Japanese systems, but has glitched text when using a 4-1 cart.
The other version you're seeing is a SataKore like re-release which was a bit cheaper at the time. It only includes a demo of Battle Garagga which is a bit messed for some reason or so I heard. And an option to use analogue controls of the NiGHTS pad.
So you're certainly not missing out on anything useful. ;)

Ah, cool. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I'm using a japanese saturn.

Also, spent the last two hours converting my Sega Saturn stick from a two-player to a one-player six button shooter stick. Stock, this thing is two-player with 8 buttons on each side. I had a brand new extra Astro panel so I've plugged that one in, redid the soldering. Old panel is shelved.

A1EC2E8D-D506-42CF-B577-1D235DDDEAB2-1538-000001D72A7B526F_zpsf47d7822.jpg

Didn't see it mentioned there (but then, I'm borderline illiterate and just skimmed), but the Otokuyo version also supports the Saturn 3D controller. Earth shattering.

Eh, I think the post ended up at the bottom of one of the pages. The original release supports the 3D controller too. Both also support the mission stick.

Add: Some great collections here.

Ah Sega Saturn. I still have three of them up in the attic somewhere - two Euro blacks (one with an import mod and 60hz switch) and one Japanese white.

I never had a crazy big collection. Rather I enjoyed just keeping a few childhood favourites whilst adding a few necessities as I got older and more curious.

I remember buying PAL Panzer Dragoon Saga about ten years ago on ebay for £80, and then a little while later I heard Camelot were sending Shining Force III Premium Disc's out if you sent them the barcodes for Scenarios I-III so I gave it a shot and sure enough I got one in the mail straight from their offices a couple of weeks later.

I actually play most of my Saturn stuff on SSF now. I remember when it used to be ridiculously slow, playing Shining Force III at something like 5fps. Things sure have changed.

Top Bottom