• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

SkylineRKR

The early PAL cases are about the most retarded ones ever. But those later PAL ones... they are excellent. Much harder to fuck up than the oldies and PAL PSX cases. Just very solid.

Roko

Between this thread and the one about the girl on YouTube who received those Saturn games, it made me want to take some crappy pictures of part of my collection for posterity. These were all purchased during the Saturn's life in the US market, except for those Sega CD games which were purchased while it was still in stores. Everything has been opened except for one which is still sealed...Saturn Bomberman(!). I sold off a sealed Snatcher a few years back that had the $14.99 price tag from Kay-Bee Toys.

I had completely forgotten that some of these games even existed, like Virtua Fighter Kids.

IWmAs.jpg

My collection is super lame compared to most, but I do at least have Shining Force III which I got for next to nothing. It was definitely under 20 bucks. Also, even though a couple of these games are without cases, they're all legitimate copies of the games. I think they must have been pack ins for systems. But I bought these all at Funcoland back in the day. I think I paid 50 bucks for everything you see pictured here. This was obviously after the Saturn was done.

Another note - I know Sega Rally looks like the PC version, but it's actually just the boxart for the PC, the disc is Saturn.

televator

Man, even your guy's "modest" collections are better than mine. The only highlight I have are Nights, Clockwork knight, Fighting Vipers, and Virtual on.

I'm about to acquire a copy PD Zwei. It's disk only, but that's the best I can probably do.

woodypop

Man, even your guy's "modest" collections are better than mine. The only highlight I have are Nights, Clockwork knight, Fighting Vipers, and Virtual on.

I'm about to acquire a copy PD Zwei. It's disk only, but that's the best I can probably do.
That's fine, 'cause the disk's the best part. PD Zwei's an awesome game! I love the soundtrack!

Teknoman

Just get the japanese version for really cheap.

...then again I gotta say I do miss being able to understand the captions. Still trying to find someone selling a Dragon Force manual on ebay since the big case looks bare without it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Just finished Zwei on hard for the first time the other night. Such an absolutely incredible final boss.

Episode 4 is a total bitch though. :p

woodypop

How do you guys get the music off the game discs? I'd love to convert some tracks to mp3 to listen to while working out.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I'm a sucker for posting collection photos.

Although I'm really posting because I'm interested in that Saturn emulation on PC. I didn't realize a competent Saturn emulator had ever been created; last I recalled reading it was notoriously difficult to emulate.

I'm excited by the prospect of playing them in higher resolutions on my PC monitor though! Saturn was awesome, the true Sega swansong.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I didn't realize a competent Saturn emulator had ever been created; last I recalled reading it was notoriously difficult to emulate.
You're roughly 8 years behind the times. :)

However, SSF doesn't have much in the way of enhancements (high resolution, filters, etc.), last I checked.

BoatAck

Great, now I spent the past few free nights catching up on old episodes of Game Sack, haha.

Haha sorry :) I did the same thing when my friend turned me on to that channel. They deserve more subscribers and views, they really do a quality job putting their show together. Their episode endings are usually good for a laugh too. The Sega CD FMV ending was the best, the Saturn one was a close second.

M3d10n

You're roughly 8 years behind the times. :)

However, SSF doesn't have much in the way of enhancements (high resolution, filters, etc.), last I checked.

There's a setting that turns the mesh/checkerboard transparencies into real transparencies, which can clean some games nicely.

Also, goraud shading is a bit cleaner in SSF due to it being calculated a bit differently.

samwizered

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you know how to set the analogue deadzone in SSF? There doesn't seem to be an option for it, and I'm trying to play Panzer Dragoon with my Xbox 360 controller, but the thumbstick is too damn sensitive. Having the option to adjust this in SSF would be excellent, seeing as pretty much all analogue sticks start to wobble after some use.

Ramune

...then again I gotta say I do miss being able to understand the captions. Still trying to find someone selling a Dragon Force manual on ebay since the big case looks bare without it.

Yeah,my roommate had Dragon Force of ALL Saturn games in his collection. He doesnt own a Saturn (yet). Its missing a manuel along with my Shining Force III and Albert Odyssey cases. Those two I sort of inhertited since the dear friend I borrowed from passed. :(

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you know how to set the analogue deadzone in SSF? There doesn't seem to be an option for it, and I'm trying to play Panzer Dragoon with my Xbox 360 controller, but the thumbstick is too damn sensitive. Having the option to adjust this in SSF would be excellent, seeing as pretty much all analogue sticks start to wobble after some use.
Panzer Dragoon is too sensitive with a real Saturn 3D controller too; you really need an actual joystick (on the Saturn, that's the Mission Stick) to get the most out of its controls... but PD with a joystick is amazing, you'll never want to go back to playing it on gamepad!

samwizered

Panzer Dragoon is too sensitive with a real Saturn 3D controller too; you really need an actual joystick (on the Saturn, that's the Mission Stick) to get the most out of its controls... but PD with a joystick is amazing, you'll never want to go back to playing it on gamepad!

I do have a decent joystick lying around that hardly sees any use, so I'll give that a go. Thanks for the advice!

Here's my admittedly terrible collection, I had the console for one year when I was six and then I got a Nintendo 64.

Clockwork Knight
Mr. Bones
Bug Too!
Blazing Dragons
Sonic 3D Blast

My favorite was Clockwork Knight, followed by Mr. Bones. I pretty much hated all the other games. What a waste of (my parents') money. If only I knew better at the time! The Saturn really does seem to have its fair share of classics.

Dave Long

Banned
Wait... the original Panzer Dragoon (and the sequel too IIRC) was released before the Saturn analog controller existed. So the reason they'd be more sensitive is they weren't programmed for that in the first place. They used digital controls. ???

Wait... the original Panzer Dragoon (and the sequel too IIRC) was released before the Saturn analog controller existed. So the reason they'd be more sensitive is they weren't programmed for that in the first place. They used digital controls. ???

The Mission Stick, racing wheel, and 3D controller share a similar protocol. Panzer Dragoon and other some earlier titles will recognize the 3D controller as the wheel or Mission Stick. And it is full analog support. Things can get kind of weird though, because of the difference in gate/restrictor and the button placement. Check out this VIDEO I made awhile ago. I show some examples and talk about the controller in general. Pardon the low-tech presentation. Still good info.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I bought Shining Force 3 late last year off a guy who posts on another message board I'm a regular at - think I'm gonna start it up once P4 is done. How long is it and will it make me as depressed as the Trails in the Sky ending that we didn't get the followups in America?

The original Panzer Dragoon was designed for the Mission Stick, which was available from day one in the US, along with the Arcade Racer wheel. A pretty good number of games that supported the Mission Stick don't have that fact mentioned anywhere on their Western packaging, annoyingly, so sometimes I've had to just test games to figure out whether they actually have analog support or not... Panzer Dragoon is one of those games which doesn't mention its analog support, but it exists, and it's by far the best way to play the game. Zwei is the same; though there's an ad for the Mission Stick on the inside cover of the manual, they don't actually mention that the game supports it. Yeah, crazy stuff.

Note: Italicized stuff was added in in an edit.

Anyway:
-The Arcade Racer is a F1-style wheel. It has paddle shifters (that are the Up and Down buttons, actually). It does not have L or R buttons, so games that support it cannot use those buttons. If you play a pre-3D Controller racing game on the 3D Controller in analog mode and the shoulder buttons do anything, then it's actually a game with Mission Stick support, running in that mode, such as Cyber Speedway or Sega Rally, not an Arcade Racer-only game like the first version of Daytona USA is.
-The wheel is analog, while all buttons, and the paddle shifters, are digital-only (ie, they are not proportional like the wheel is).
-Most games that were designed for the Arcade Racer also work in analog on the Mission Stick and 3D Controller. However, there are a few games, such as VR: Virtua Racing and Hang-On GP, which require the Arcade Racer for analog.
-The Arcade Racer will not work at all in games not designed for it, so it's only for racing games. The Arcade Racer also is missing the L and R buttons (those paddle shifters are actually Up and Down, not L and R), so games that support it can't use those buttons.
-The Arcade Racer will give you the best control for racing games. Expect almost all racing games to support it, whether they mention it or not; the only one I know of which it doesn't work with at all is Impact Racing, and that's probably because that game requires all the buttons on the controller.

-The Mission Stick is an analog joystick. It has one exclusive button, a throttle wheel, and also has turbo switches for each button. It has all buttons from the Saturn controller, and a stick. The stick and throttle wheel are analog, while all buttons are digital.
-Most games designed for the Mission Stick will work in analog on the Mission Stick and 3D Controller. Controls for Mission Stick games will be better on the Mission Stick than the 3D Controller. A few games only work in analog on the Mission Stick, such as Midway Presents Atari's Greatest Arcade Hits: The Atari Collection 1. Panzer Dragoon's controls are also semi-broken on the 3D Controller. Games which use the Mission Stick's throttle wheel, but were not programmed for the 3D Controller too, are analog on the Mission Stick only -- this includes games such as ThunderStrike II and Black Fire. (MechWarrior II does use the throttle, but does also have native 3D Controller support.)
-The Mission Stick will play almost all Saturn games, as it can pretend to be a d-pad for games that do not have analog. A few games have control issues with the controller (Daytona: Circuit Edition, Virtua Cop, some others), but not many.
-The Mission Stick will give you the best control for games that support it, and pretty good control for racing games that support it, too. (Note that some later racing games like Daytona Circuit Edition will not work with the Mission Stick, and are 3D Controller and Arcade Racer only. This matters to me because I actually really love playing the first version of Saturn Daytona with the Mission Stick.)
-The Mission Stick works with more games than most people know, as very frequently the US/EU packaging and manuals make no mention of the support that is programmed into games. Examples of games which support the Mission Stick fully, but which make no mention of that fact anywhere in the boxes, manuals, or game menus, include Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei (except for that manual back cover ad), MechWarrior II, Cyber Speedway, Sega Rally, ThunderStrike II, and more.
-You can attach a second Mission Stick's stick portion to the Mission Stick base unit (the part with the buttons on it). To do this, detach it from its Mission Stick, attach it to the other side of the base unit of the first stick so that one stick is on each side of the central buttons, and connect the second stick to the Sub Control port on the bottom of the stick. Leave the first stick's joystick connected to the Main Control port. This will give you a twin joystick Mission Stick. Only one game is known to support this setup: Panzer Dragoon Zwei, which supports it so that you can control the dragon with one stick, and the cursor with another, for true twin-stick flight. Note that this is NOT compatible with the Twin Stick, so this won't give you twinstick control in Virtual-On. I believe that that stick is actually digital, not analog like this one.

-Games designed to be analog on the 3D Controller will only work in analog mode on the 3D Controller. The controller will, however, work with most games that have analog programmed in for the Arcade Racer and/or Mission Stick, except for those few exceptions I mentioned above, and maybe some others of course that I don't know about.
-The controller has an exclusive analog stick, and also exclusive analog (proportional) shoulder buttons. The shoulder buttons work as normal digital shoulder buttons with any games that do not support the analog functionality, which is most, though some games like Daytona CCE and CE do support the analog functionality of the shoulder buttons, for acceleration and braking. In analog mode, the analog stick and d-pad both work, so games can use the stick for control, and d-pad directions for other functions. In digital mode, the analog stick is disabled and only the d-pad works.
-The 3D Controller has an analog/digital switch which should allow it to work with nearly all Saturn games. In digital mode,
-The 3D Controller is of course best for games that are designed only for it, but it's also decent for Mission Stick games that work with it too, though this varies (Panzer Dragoon is quite bad and really is borderline unplayable on the 3D Controller, but Cyber Speedway or Sega Rally play great on it). It also isn't very good at all for Arcade Racer-only games like the first version of Daytona -- either play the CCE or CE versions, which do support it, or use a Mission Stick or Arcade Racer with the original version.
-Oddly enough, some games let you use the stick for gameplay, but require you to use the d-pad in menus. This includes some games that predate the 3D Controller, like Sega Rally. It must be some quirk of how that game's Mission Stick analog mode is programmed.

The Mission Stick, racing wheel, and 3D controller share a similar protocol. Panzer Dragoon and other some earlier titles will recognize the 3D controller as the wheel or Mission Stick. And it is full analog support. Things can get kind of weird though, because of the difference in gate/restrictor and the button placement. Check out this VIDEO I made awhile ago. I show some examples and talk about the controller in general. Pardon the low-tech presentation. Still good info.
Yeah, plus the games that only work on one controller or another are also worth mentioning, as I mention above. But otherwise you're right (haven't watched the video yet, not sure if you mention that there).]

Here's my admittedly terrible collection, I had the console for one year when I was six and then I got a Nintendo 64.

Clockwork Knight
Mr. Bones
Bug Too!
Blazing Dragons
Sonic 3D Blast

My favorite was Clockwork Knight, followed by Mr. Bones. I pretty much hated all the other games. What a waste of (my parents') money. If only I knew better at the time! The Saturn really does seem to have its fair share of classics.
Bah, none of those games are bad. Bug! and Bug Too! are very good games in my opinion, I like that series quite a bit... interesting and unique take on a pre-Mario 64 "3d" platformer. Insanely hard games, but quite good. Blazing Dragons is a good game too -- it's a decent graphic adventure game. Kind of short, but fun for its genre.

Dave Long

Banned
That's a great roundup, A Black Falcon. I know I've experimented with the racing games and the analog controller, but I didn't realize the mission stick worked with so much too. I have seen the Arcade Racer for a decent price a few times. I suppose I really ought to get one sometime as I own most of the best racing games. I ought to take a collection photo and post it... maybe tonight...

Thanks for all that great info, though. I didn't realize the first Panzer had that support in it. Interesting...

On a side but somewhat related note, I snagged a mint Genesis Strider with box, manual and even the original pamphlet of upcoming Genesis games for $10 on Saturday. Also got Dynamite Cop! for Dreamcast in near mint condition for $13. (Fatal Fury 2 JPN for the Neo Geo AES too... $40... but that's not SEGA related.)

There aren't too many Saturn games I really want or need these days except the expensive import shooters (although Dynamite Cop! prequel Die Hard Arcade is one of them...). But I'm quickly becoming very satisfied with the entirety of my collections and gaining all the low hanging fruit that the next step is some bigger dollar purchases.

televator

That's fine, 'cause the disk's the best part. PD Zwei's an awesome game! I love the soundtrack!

I'm looking forward to it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to check my mail box. ;)

Yeah, that's the thing for me. I like to maximize potential enjoyment out of games, which includes understanding what the heck is going on and being said. I guess it barely wins out over my OCD for the look of my bookshelf.

Bah, none of those games are bad. Bug! and Bug Too! are very good games in my opinion, I like that series quite a bit... interesting and unique take on a pre-Mario 64 "3d" platformer. Insanely hard games, but quite good. Blazing Dragons is a good game too -- it's a decent graphic adventure game. Kind of short, but fun for its genre.
Bug Too! was pretty fun, I'll give you that. It was a very hard game for me at the time so I stuck with Clockwork Knight for more straightforward/easy gameplay. Mr. Bones was a blast for the setting and FMVs alone.

Teknoman

I'm looking forward to it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to check my mail box. ;)

Yeah, that's the thing for me. I like to maximize potential enjoyment out of games, which includes understanding what the heck is going on and being said. I guess it barely wins out over my OCD for the look of my bookshelf.

Yeah the forest/jungle stage and its boss theme are amazing. And yeah I feel the same way for most games. Action/platformer/shooters I can make a compromise with though. I think i'll try to get the english version of Panzer 1 if its around the same price.

That's a great roundup, A Black Falcon. I know I've experimented with the racing games and the analog controller, but I didn't realize the mission stick worked with so much too. I have seen the Arcade Racer for a decent price a few times. I suppose I really ought to get one sometime as I own most of the best racing games. I ought to take a collection photo and post it... maybe tonight...
If you have Virtua Racing or Hang-On GP, they're MASSIVELY improved by the Arcade Racer, Hang-On GP particularly -- that game really was designed for the wheel, and doesn't work well at all with the d-pad. Of course both titles are also incompatible with the other analog controllers, you need a wheel to play them in analog. Yeah, it's a real pain... but if you've played those games and been annoyed at the controls, the wheel will fix that problem.

Thanks for all that great info, though. I didn't realize the first Panzer had that support in it. Interesting...
Yeah, for some reason Sega decided that they didn't want to bother actually listing which controllers games supported on their Western game boxes. In Japan the games all list all the controllers they support, but in the US and Europe, that rarely happened. This gave people the false impression that almost nothing actually supported the Mission Stick and 3D Controller, when that was not the case.

I realized that I forgot some details, so I added stuff to that post. It's all in italics to make it clear what's new. The most important thing I didn't mention there was about the Mission Stick's twinstick mode; see that post for details. It's a pretty interesting feature... I mean to get a second Mission Stick someday so that I can play the game that way.

On a side but somewhat related note, I snagged a mint Genesis Strider with box, manual and even the original pamphlet of upcoming Genesis games for $10 on Saturday. Also got Dynamite Cop! for Dreamcast in near mint condition for $13. (Fatal Fury 2 JPN for the Neo Geo AES too... $40... but that's not SEGA related.)

There aren't too many Saturn games I really want or need these days except the expensive import shooters (although Dynamite Cop! prequel Die Hard Arcade is one of them...). But I'm quickly becoming very satisfied with the entirety of my collections and gaining all the low hanging fruit that the next step is some bigger dollar purchases.
Die Hard Arcade is cool, but I like Dynamite Cop more... still, it is a decently fun game.

Bug Too! was pretty fun, I'll give you that. It was a very hard game for me at the time so I stuck with Clockwork Knight for more straightforward/easy gameplay. Mr. Bones was a blast for the setting and FMVs alone.
Yeah, Bug Too is a brutally hard game. I've struggled to even beat the first world. The graphics are pretty good though, and the gameplay great... it definitely makes me want to keep coming back, even if it's unfairly hard. The first Bug! is just about as hard overall as the second one, I think; Bug!'s first world's easier than Bug Too's, for sure, but the game makes up for it overall with an even less fair save system (you can get around it if you have a save cart, but still, it's a pain), and even fewer checkpoints in the levels.

As for Clockwork Knight, it's fun, but it's also short and easy.

Went to a Goodwill to drop some old clothes off a day or two ago, and saw that they had a Trinitron TV for sale. Didn't check the price because I'm content with my current setup (Although I'm shit out of luck as far as lightgun games go), but man... I'm considering going back and picking it up so that I can play those copies of HoTD and Virtua Cop that I've been sitting on.

Are they hard to track down?

Dave Long

Banned
If you have Virtua Racing or Hang-On GP, they're MASSIVELY improved by the Arcade Racer, Hang-On GP particularly -- that game really was designed for the wheel, and doesn't work well at all with the d-pad. Of course both titles are also incompatible with the other analog controllers, you need a wheel to play them in analog. Yeah, it's a real pain... but if you've played those games and been annoyed at the controls, the wheel will fix that problem.
I have finished Hang-On GP with the digital controls. I love that game. There is just something about how it plays that really works for me. I'd play through it again with the Arcade Racer. I'll keep an eye open. I have a lot of retro shops around the area.

Yeah, for some reason Sega decided that they didn't want to bother actually listing which controllers games supported on their Western game boxes. In Japan the games all list all the controllers they support, but in the US and Europe, that rarely happened. This gave people the false impression that almost nothing actually supported the Mission Stick and 3D Controller, when that was not the case.
I've experimented with the 3D controller with a bunch of games. As soon as I got Nights (when it was released) in fact, I was seeing what else worked with it. I don't own the original Panzer right now. I'm not even sure why I don't! I bought it on launch day. I wonder if I loaned it to someone and never got it back?

I realized that I forgot some details, so I added stuff to that post. It's all in italics to make it clear what's new. The most important thing I didn't mention there was about the Mission Stick's twinstick mode; see that post for details. It's a pretty interesting feature... I mean to get a second Mission Stick someday so that I can play the game that way.

Die Hard Arcade is cool, but I like Dynamite Cop more... still, it is a decently fun game.
I knew some of what you posted. I didn't know about that twinstick mode, though I remember people wondering if it worked in Virtual On. I wish I had bought a Twinstick controller back then. They were actually affordable!

I like both Die Hard Arcade and Dynamite Cop. I must have traded in DHA at some point long ago. Dynamite Cop was something a friend had so I didn't own it myself. As I've slowly been filling in my SEGA collections, I've been buying these games to fill holes of stuff I either enjoyed before or had never played and wanted to. Again, there's a great bunch of local stores with retro stuff. Just Press Play in Lancaster, PA.

Went to a Goodwill to drop some old clothes off a day or two ago, and saw that they had a Trinitron TV for sale. Didn't check the price because I'm content with my current setup (Although I'm shit out of luck as far as lightgun games go), but man... I'm considering going back and picking it up so that I can play those copies of HoTD and Virtua Cop that I've been sitting on.

Are they hard to track down?
I've kept an eye out for Trinitrons whenever I'm at a used furniture place, Goodwill, etc. They really don't show up too often. If I were you, I'd go back and get it if it's reasonably priced. I still have mine that was purchased like 15-20 years ago. Well worth it for retro gaming.

Yes Boss!

^^Wow

Mad respect.

Gonna seek each of those titles out on the J-Saturn. Outrun being my priority. Gotta get the PCE version first, though.

woodypop

I keep forgetting one of those got localized. By Working Designs no less.

What's it include?
After Burner II
Outrun
Space Harrier

Gonna seek each of those titles out on the J-Saturn. Outrun being my priority. Gotta get the PCE version first, though.
From what I understand, the JPN Saturn versions have both the original and rearranged soundtracks, but the US version only has the original music.

I got a mad itch to play these games since I've been reading Hardcore Gaming 101's book:

C606D9C5-AA2F-4D28-96A8-17B5942C1036-1773-000001567DD227B5.jpg

Highly recommended!

Yes Boss!

Nope,

That US release is awesome. I'd much rather have that than the three games on J-Saturn. So cool. Thanks for sharing! Love the metallic and cheezy rebrand of "Sega Ages" LOVE.

3d controller fans should be aware that Japan got a Sega Rally Championship "Plus" which fully supports the controller (original release doesn't let you use analog accel/ breaking on the triggers.

Slermy

After Burner II
Outrun
Space Harrier

From what I understand, the JPN Saturn versions have both the original and rearranged soundtracks, but the US version only has the original music.

I got a mad itch to play these games since I've been reading Hardcore Gaming 101's book:

C606D9C5-AA2F-4D28-96A8-17B5942C1036-1773-000001567DD227B5.jpg

Highly recommended!

Nice! I had no idea they had a book!

That is the case for Outrun (there's a remixed CD audio option only in the Japanese version), but I don't know if Space Harrier or After Burner II have any differences between the US and individual Japanese releases...

IrishNinja

as a Sega fan, the saturn (and 32x as well, but whatever) is like the only system i missed out on, it's like a lost gen for me, and i'm looking to finally get into it, just a few questions if you guys can help out here:

1) is there any real difference between models 1 & 2? i hear 2's easier to mod, but that's it so far.

2) does it support s-video right outta the box? ive seen cables on ebay but ive also seen adapters that needed soldering, which is kind've a no-go for me. i'm not looking to invest in upscalers or SCART at the moment, so s-vid is about as good as i think i can get.

3) what all do i need for accessories? i was told this would cover most of my bases (RAM, storage for saves, import use, cheats etc), was debating the DC looking NiGHTS controller as well, and i also so the official arcade stick for cheap. any other suggestions?

as a Sega fan, the saturn (and 32x as well, but whatever) is like the only system i missed out on, it's like a lost gen for me, and i'm looking to finally get into it, just a few questions if you guys can help out here:

1) is there any real difference between models 1 & 2? i hear 2's easier to mod, but that's it so far.

2) does it support s-video right outta the box? ive seen cables on ebay but ive also seen adapters that needed soldering, which is kind've a no-go for me. i'm not looking to invest in upscalers or SCART at the moment, so s-vid is about as good as i think i can get.

3) what all do i need for accessories? i was told this would cover most of my bases (RAM, storage for saves, import use, cheats etc), was debating the DC looking NiGHTS controller as well, and i also so the official arcade stick for cheap. any other suggestions?

Not any real difference between Model 1s and 2s beyond modding. That said, you never know what you'll be doing in the future. Get a Model 2.

Not sure, but I thought it did s-vid out of the box. Yours will probably just come with a composite cable.

For starting out, that's a solid pick.

Top Bottom