• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Bar81

With Sega systems being pretty easy to play imports on, that's kinda surprising. Unless they just like the different color scheme.

You mean other than black? The western SS systems look like shit compared to the many JP flavors. Plus I understand at least some fighters/other games don't work with the AR.

What's the story behind the Victor Saturn? Is it worth paying an extra 40 bucks for? The box isn't as nice as the original...

Same system, different color and branding - JVC was a hardware partner so Sega let them push Saturn's under their own brand.

Bar81

I wonder which ones? I know the tag team crossovers work fine.

KOF '95 and Ultraman are the big ones. Original Souky also but the rerelease is fine. In the Hunt but that got released stateside. Also matters the version as some older ones have problems with Vampire Savior for example.

From Reddit:

Rg2hf8v.jpg

KOF '95 and Ultraman are the big ones. Original Souky also but the rerelease is fine. In the Hunt but that got released stateside. Also matters the version as some older ones have problems with Vampire Savior for example.

Older ones have issues with Vampire Savior and Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, IIRC.

Don't a bunch of 1MB-cart games have graphical glitches on the AR 4-in-1, as well?

Nudull

Banned
After the Sega Steam thread, I've been getting a renewed interest in the Saturn. I'm surprised how relatively cheap it is to get one. So much temptation to start a collection... o.o

After the Sega Steam thread, I've been getting a renewed interest in the Saturn. I'm surprised how relatively cheap it is to get one. So much temptation to start a collection... o.o

The hardware might have a relatively low barrier of entry, but the software has gotten astronomical :(

Easily the 2nd most expensive console to collect for. There's still some great games that can be found pretty cheap. But most of the home run hitters go for over $100, some well above that.

Mzo

Hmm, it's getting close between Saturn and PCE these days.

Glad I stocked up in the early aughts. Wish I'd scooped up more.

MikeMyers

Trying to think how much I spent on my Saturn collection
-Console ($50)
-Die Hard Arcade ($35)
-Fighters Megamix ($10)
-Nights into Dreams (came with console)
-Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 ($30)
-Sega Rally Championship ($10)
-Sonic 3D Blast (came with console)
-Virtua Cop ($5)
-Virtua Fighter 2 (came with console)
-X-Men Vs. Street Fighter ($30)
-RAM Cart (friend bought me since I got him something in the past)
-2D Controller (came with console)
-3D Controller (came with console)

So about $120. Not too bad.

Easily the 2nd most expensive console to collect for. There's still some great games that can be found pretty cheap. But most of the home run hitters go for over $100, some well above that.

Indeed! I'm trying to get a decent Saturn collection established, and I'm finding that so many of the titles are prohibitively expensive. I never would have thought that the prices would get this way; I feel like an idiot for not starting sooner.

I bought the Parodius Deluxe Pack, but I also kinda want one of the rarer/more expensive SHMUPs. What would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend more than $100, which I know narrows the list down quite a bit (I saw Metal Black for ~80).

I might get D&D Collection almost entirely because of the packaging! And X-Men vs. SF is tempting for the same reason, but I'm not sure that I need it when MVC2 exists.

Coda

Indeed! I'm trying to get a decent Saturn collection established, and I'm finding that so many of the titles are prohibitively expensive. I never would have thought that the prices would get this way; I feel like an idiot for not starting sooner.

I bought the Parodius Deluxe Pack, but I also kinda want one of the rarer/more expensive SHMUPs. What would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend more than $100, which I know narrows the list down quite a bit (I saw Metal Black for ~80).

I might get D&D Collection almost entirely because of the packaging! And X-Men vs. SF is tempting for the same reason, but I'm not sure that I need it when MVC2 exists.

Batsugun goes for usually $150 or so but it's absolutely worth it.

Coda

Ha! I've been seeing that pretty frequently, but the price is frightening. You'd say it's the one to get if I only buy one? I'm still not super well acquainted with the genre.

Well in my opinion it's one of the best shmups on the system and is like half the price than most of the super expensive shmups on the system, so to some degree it's a good deal.

Different system but I bought Alien Soldier for the Mega Drive for $300. It sucked but now I own an extremely rare game that kicks major ass, has a dope box/manual/artwork, and I play it regularly on my Sega Nomad. At the end of the day, it was worth it.

TBH I think I like XvSF more than MvC2.

In the high roller STG club, I'd recommend Garegga because I love it, but that shit ain't for everyone. If you're aware of Yagawa's game design you should know what to expect.

D&D collection is hard for me to recommend with the (2 different) Gen7/WiiU and Steam releases. On Saturn you only get 2 players and there is a non-trivial amount of loading even with the 4M cart.

Well in my opinion it's one of the best shmups on the system and is like half the price than most of the super expensive shmups on the system, so to some degree it's a good deal.

Different system but I bought Alien Soldier for the Mega Drive for $300. It sucked but now I own an extremely rare game that kicks major ass, has a dope box/manual/artwork, and I play it regularly on my Sega Nomad. At the end of the day, it was worth it.

I'm mostly sold, but I need to check another shop or two before making my final decision.

TBH I think I like XvSF more than MvC2.

In the high roller STG club, I'd recommend Garegga because I love it, but that shit ain't for everyone. If you're aware of Yagawa's game design you should know what to expect.

D&D collection is hard for me to recommend with the (2 different) Gen7/WiiU and Steam releases. On Saturn you only get 2 players and there is a non-trivial amount of loading even with the 4M cart.

That packaging, though...And I figure it'd just be cool to play on a Saturn, but maybe not $90 cool.

Yeah, I think X-Men Vs, SF is the best Marvel crossover.

I always had more fun with X-Men vs. SF when it was new, but I figured that was nostalgia talking. I remember it being a lot more restrained than MvC2, which I really like. Maybe I'll buy it after all.

I've always been a MvC1 guy when it comes to the Marvel games. XvSF is pretty close behind, though.

Every individual Vs. game is definitely worth owning, though.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

I paid $30 for MB. it's usually expensive, but the demand isn't as high as other shmups on the system. i love it to bits, but might be worth playing it on taito legends 2 first before you invest. if you don't have layer section and darius gaiden, those are cheapish and
N E C E S S A R Y
I'll echo batsugun. i like it more than dodonpachi although ddp is prettier.

Celine

Trying to think how much I spent on my Saturn collection

So about $120. Not too bad.
My spending (in euro, include shipping) was:

Saturn:
SW: 136,6
Bubble Symphony: 24,5
Hattrick Hero S: 8
Puzzle Bobble 3: 10,5
Darius Gaiden: 16,6
Elevator Action Returns: 37,1
Solo Crisis: 7
Exhumed: 7,5
Magical Drop 3: 8,1
Gungriffon: 7,1
Touge 2: 9,2

Saturn:
HW: 46
SW: 37 (VF2, SFZ2, Nights, Magical Hoppers, Sega Rally, Daytona CE, PD Zwei)

I made some purchases today! Parodius was an impulse buy, and SFA2 made SF Collection a no-brainier (that game definined my childhood Saturn experience). ~55 USD for a boxed Saturn isn't too shabby considering the current market!

I could also use some help identifying some titles I saw. The cover of this first game is ridiculous, but it looked like a semi-interesting platformer on the back.

And pardon the shittiness of the picture (I wasn't sure about the store's cell phone policy), but can anyone identify the game with the scowling dude on the front?

The one with the guy on the cover is Crows the Battle Action.. it's junk but for some reason goes for a lot. I've seen one at my local game store going for $120 *lol*

Mzo

I gotta go with Strikers 1945. WWII planes piloted mostly by girls with impossible busts that end up strapped to a rocket and going to the fucking moon.

Yes.

Don't a bunch of 1MB-cart games have graphical glitches on the AR 4-in-1, as well?

Yeah.

Also, not so much a graphical glitch as much as a weird performance issue, but using the 4-in-1 for Marvel Super Heroes' optional 1MB boost causes the framerate to tank so badly that that unless you have an actual 1MB cart, you're better off without using the expansion.

KC-Slater

Yeah.

Also, not so much a graphical glitch as much as a weird performance issue, but using the 4-in-1 for Marvel Super Heroes' optional 1MB boost causes the framerate to tank so badly that that unless you have an actual 1MB cart, you're better off without using the expansion.

Same goes for using the official 4MB cart. With MSH, stick with an official 1MB cart, or nothing.

IrishNinja

I won't even try to list my spendings. I would faint.

this
i mean it's way less than it would be now but fuck, PDS and MKR alone were hundreds. stuck to my guns on most others but man did it take effort to find the prices i did, and still dug a hole

I gotta go with Strikers 1945. WWII planes piloted mostly by girls with impossible busts that end up strapped to a rocket and going to the fucking moon.

Yes.

...i want to go there

The one with the guy on the cover is Crows the Battle Action.. it's junk but for some reason goes for a lot. I've seen one at my local game store going for $120 *lol*

Probably because the cover illustration is rad!

It looked like a platformer? It's by Psikyo.

That's a shmup: Sengoku Blade.

Whoops! I only looked at it for a second, but there's one particular screenshot that gave me that impression: http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/saturn/Jeux/Sengoku Blade (J)/Sengoku Blade (J).png

Mzo

Ha, yeah that definitely looks like it could've gone either way. Being familiar with the company helped me out but I can definitely see it.

I made some purchases today! Parodius was an impulse buy, and SFA2 made SF Collection a no-brainier (that game definined my childhood Saturn experience). ~55 USD for a boxed Saturn isn't too shabby considering the current market!

I could also use some help identifying some titles I saw. The cover of this first game is ridiculous, but it looked like a semi-interesting platformer on the back.

And pardon the shittiness of the picture (I wasn't sure about the store's cell phone policy), but can anyone identify the game with the scowling dude on the front?

That Saturn box looks like it's in great condition! Nice find!

D.Lo

Looks like you were in Mandarake?

How much is Sengoku Blade these days? Hey if it's under 6000 buy it for me ;) (can go for a lot more on eBay now and I meant to buy a copy last time I was in Japan).

TeaJay

I want Sengoku Blade too but so far been unable to convince myself to pay up to 80-100+ € they're asking now on eBay. If it's around 50 € or so I could be persuaded.

That Saturn box looks like it's in great condition! Nice find!

Thanks! I wish the system itself looked a little better, but I can't complain. It runs like a dream.

Looks like you were in Mandarake?

How much is Sengoku Blade these days? Hey if it's under 6000 buy it for me ;) (can go for a lot more on eBay now and I meant to buy a copy last time I was in Japan).

I was! And the fact that I still have two months left in Japan does not bode well for my wallet. Buying Saturn games is incredibly addicting (I grabbed Layer Section today--still prolonging the inevitable $100+ shmup purchase). Sengoku Blade was definitely under 6000, but it was without a spine card.

Maybe I'll grab it myself! :)

Layer Section is better than most $100+ shooters. You did well.

Glad to hear it! I It's hard to pass up something so highly regarded for ~$20.

And I found Metal Black for $60 yesterday, which has me very tempted. There's something incredibly fascinating about that game.

I want to buy everything!

Top Bottom