• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

BTails

Yeah, I've only touched my copy of Die Hard Arcade a couple times, never played Deep Scan to get the extra continues, and got game over at or just past the robots every time.

Anyone else have resolution issues with this game and the Framemeister? It seems to switch resolutions or lose signal between every screen, makes playing the game really annoying, to be honest.

StevieWhite

Yeah, I've only touched my copy of Die Hard Arcade a couple times, never played Deep Scan to get the extra continues, and got game over at or just past the robots every time.

Anyone else have resolution issues with this game and the Framemeister? It seems to switch resolutions or lose signal between every screen, makes playing the game really annoying, to be honest.

No way around that, unfortunately. Happens every time there is a resolution change. Makes SOTN a nightmare.

TeaJay

No way around that, unfortunately. Happens every time there is a resolution change. Makes SOTN a nightmare.

I wonder if there's any hope for a update that fixes it? On the other hand, the developers have known about it for a while. Maybe it's more of a feature.

I mean, it won't stop me from wanting a Framemeister, but seeing that I really dig my SoTN on the Saturn, it'll sure be annoying.

MikeMyers

Actually, now that I think about it. I'm only running into Action Replay problems with X-Men Vs. Street Fighter. Never have a problem with my other Japanese games. Maybe the game itself is the problem?

What's the best way to go about saving my game with a Japanese saturn? If I don't feel like buying an Action Replay, how can I save while using the RAM add-on? Don't the memory card and RAM use the same slot?

BTails

What's the best way to go about saving my game with a Japanese saturn? If I don't feel like buying an Action Replay, how can I save while using the RAM add-on? Don't the memory card and RAM use the same slot?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but very few games require you to save directly to a memory card. The Saturn has built in memory which will store your save games (as long as the battery lasts) and can be backed up to the Action Replay.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but very few games require you to save directly to a memory card. The Saturn has built in memory which will store your save games (as long as the battery lasts) and can be backed up to the Action Replay.

Ah, that must be it; I don't think I've had a Saturn with a charged battery since it came out, so I nearly forgot you could save. Is it relatively easy to replace?

edit: looks super easy. Never mind!

StevieWhite

If you've got an AR with storage on it, you can just hit the reset button instead of turning the system off. Then go to the memory manager and go nuts. Haven't had a battery in my Saturn for years.

Khaz

Most games that can save offer a choice between the cart and the console in their menu. Games that use a RAM addon don't, for obvious reasons. The Action replay doesn't function like a standard save cart, it won't show up in games or in the BIOS save management screen. For RAM-enhanced games, you need to save/load on the console no matter what, and optionally copy your save to/from your preferred backup solution.

Wereroku

Ah, that must be it; I don't think I've had a Saturn with a charged battery since it came out, so I nearly forgot you could save. Is it relatively easy to replace?

edit: looks super easy. Never mind!

The battery can actually last for a while depending on how much you use the saturn and if it's left plugged into live power the whole time. If you unplug it from the wall it will drain the battery in a few days.

Khaz

The battery can actually last for a while depending on how much you use the saturn and if it's left plugged into live power the whole time. If you unplug it from the wall it will drain the battery in a few days.

That's not true. The power button of the Saturn switch off the mains, it acts exactly as if you unplugged the cable. It drains exactly zero watts if left plugged in when off.

Wereroku

That's not true. The power button of the Saturn switch off the mains, it acts exactly as if you unplugged the cable. It drains exactly zero watts if left plugged in when off.
Really because mine will last a lot longer if it's left plugged in. Hmm need to do some testing.

Most games that can save offer a choice between the cart and the console in their menu. Games that use a RAM addon don't, for obvious reasons. The Action replay doesn't function like a standard save cart, it won't show up in games or in the BIOS save management screen. For RAM-enhanced games, you need to save/load on the console no matter what, and optionally copy your save to/from your preferred backup solution.

Ha, thanks for clearing that up! I was under the impression that it acted like any memory card would, but I guess it makes sense that it doesn't (as I've never seen anything like that referred to in any game).

So many competing opinions on battery drainage! I bought a replacement yesterday, and I leave mine unplugged, so let's hope that works in my favor.

I changed my battery, I think, over a year ago and leave it plugged in all the time, still works. Just transfer your saves over to the card when you finish playing. I don't understand how leaving the system plugged in has anything to do with draining the battery. The system isn't reading or writing when off, so it should be left alone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

D.Lo

Yeah even a pretty flat battery will hold saves for a day or two.

Back in the day the Mega CD and Saturn (and Dreamcast, sort of) battery save systems seemed okay since you didn't need a memory card, but after a couple of years it just started being a pain in the ass. For convenient usage you need a new battery every year or so, which means my Saturn has cost me 10 batteries at this point, plus the frustration of finding it flat each time.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
At least the Saturn's battery is easily replaceable. I get real sick of the Dreamcast's clock setting screen.

Teknoman

I think it was low print, and then people discovered it and started talking about how great it was. Its been on a steady price increase since I saw someone mention it here long ago. Was *this* close to getting it with some gift cards / bonus stuff...but that money went to Panzer Dragoon Saga.

quick vid on Elevator Action Returns b/c it's been a minute since it was last mentioned in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ETy9zFyqo

This is so depressing. I desperately want to play this and PDS, but I probably never will because of their ludicrous prices.

That I'm so bad at SHMUPs and I have no one to play local fighting games is kind of a drag! I love the Saturn but so many of its best games aren't consistent with the way my life is now.

TeaJay

This is so depressing. I desperately want to play this and PDS, but I probably never will because of their ludicrous prices.

That I'm so bad at SHMUPs and I have no one to play local fighting games is kind of a drag! I love the Saturn but so many of its best games aren't consistent with the way my life is now.

I'm bad at shmups too so I don't even plan on getting the super expensive ones. But I still have a few good ones for systems I own, like Thunder Force IV for the MD, Super Aleste for the SNES and Gradius II for the Famicom (I want to get Crisis Force but the prices...)

But for the Saturn I have Layer Section and Darius Gaiden and that's plenty for me. They are both excellent games with good quality for the money you have to pay.

TeaJay

The Parodius and Twinbee collections are pretty good, and can help you get better at shooters too.

Oh, I somehow forgot I have the Twinbee collection for Saturn too. And only recently ordered Parodius Da! on the Famicom, although it's yet to arrive.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

dude you live in SF Bay, you could play vf offline if you wanted to.

that's because Saturn >>> Dreamcast

;)

no contest really...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I need to up my MD/Genny collection since i pretty much only played Sonic and Aladdin when I was little.
I stopped by Game Over Games a while ago with JonathanNemo and didn't see much of anything of note to pick up besides Ms. Pacman.

List of games I had not played before acquired:
Shining Force

IrishNinja

quick vid on Elevator Action Returns b/c it's been a minute since it was last mentioned in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ETy9zFyqo

...you can unlock the original just like that? shit that's awesome!

and all this stuff is funny since my battery just died before trying out that crow battle game with a friend last weekend

At least the Saturn's battery is easily replaceable. I get real sick of the Dreamcast's clock setting screen.

Heh, I've gotten used to that. Kind of charming.

heh
i had mine changed out when my system was chipped, but i still get that screen at times. someone on here told me the battery needs to stay cycled or whatever and its "the system's way of telling you to play it more"

I think it was low print, and then people discovered it and started talking about how great it was. Its been on a steady price increase since I saw someone mention it here long ago. Was *this* close to getting it with some gift cards / bonus stuff...but that money went to Panzer Dragoon Saga.

yeah that sombeody was a dick bruh
sorry guys...really love that game though

that's because Saturn >>> Dreamcast

;)

oh man i can't do this, i love them both immensely for vastly different reasons

Genesis >>> Snes

geez thought we were saying controversial stuff here

PS2 > PS1

MGS1 makes this a hard claim though

i hear that a lot, but PSX's library just felt so exciting & creative...great shit went down on the PS2 no doubt but there was absolute magic on its predecessor, and still tons of import gems for me to discover

The Genesis is Sega's best console by a mile (and, of course, I think the SNES and Genesis are equally great and don't want to choose which one I like more). I'd put the Saturn in third, behind the pretty great DC but well ahead of the SMS. Then the GG is in last.

Beat them with their own legs.

I definitely had to use the Deep Scan continues to finish the game.

The biggest flaw with Saturn Die Hard Arcade is this, really. I mean, the game doesn't support saving, so you can't unlock more credits as you play as you would in many games of this kind. And there is no built-in infinite credits mode, as other games owuld have. Instead, you have to waste lots of time playing the very slow and dull game Deep Scan for FAR too long so that you have a reasonable amount of credits for the game. And you need to do this every single time you play the game! It really kills the pacing of the game, I think... Die Hard Arcade and Dynamite Cops are both quite fun games, but Dynamite Cop is better not only because of having better graphics and multiple routes, but also because the old game in Dynamite Cop (Safari Hunt or something, yes?) isn't as annoying to play as Deep Scan, and you don't need to play it before every single game either, thankfully.

Just stick with the arcade port in Taito Legends 2 for the PS2, it's mostly the same game. Based on that version I think the game is okay, but not great; I strongly prefer Namco's Rolling Thunder over any of the Elevator Action games.

Same. My poor DC battery is pretty much dead, even if the system has only been off for a quit short time I need to set the clock again. It's annoying.

Meanwhile, with the Saturn, I've had the system for like six years now and I think I've had to replace the battery once, maybe twice at the most, so 'every year' isn't accurate if you keep the system plugged in; I think it draws more power when unplugged, or something?

MikeMyers

I'd put Saturn or Mega Drive as their best, then Master System, and Dreamcast at last place. DC still has good titles, just not as good as their previous consoles IMO.

On VF2 option mode - what does turning learning on and off do?

bjork

I'd put Saturn or Mega Drive as their best, then Master System, and Dreamcast at last place. DC still has good titles, just not as good as their previous consoles IMO.

On VF2 option mode - what does turning learning on and off do?

It's supposed to employ a learning AI, so it'll make opponents harder as you go on. So if you're like me and you punchpunchpunch trying to ring out people early, that won't work for long.

Top Bottom