• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Why is that cable over a thousand dollars ?

Yeah sorry they are custom cables, there is a new stock every week, only cost $30 or so when they have them. I bought mine last week, think they restock on Monday. Used to to replace a cheap $13 one on amazon, was giving me a crazy loud buzz.

Galdelico

If you can only get one RAM cart for starters, go with an official 4MB cart (the ones that come with Capcom games.) They support almost everything.

There are a few games that are supported by the 4MB cart, but prefer the 1MB cart (Marvel Super Heroes & Metal Slug come to mind) but there are some games (most of which are SNK) that will only work with the 1MB cart. (The same goes with the 4MB, but it has the benefit of supporting many of the 1MB titles.)

Further complicating things is that people have reported problems with the Action Replay Plus, but I personally haven't run into any issues with it. There is a solid argument for using it just to keep it nestled in your cartridge slot, as replacing a cart in the Saturn feels like playing Russian roulette with your cartridge slot every single time.
This is true, yet I still find the Action Replay Plus pretty useful.
Sure, for some games, it's just better to slap their respective RAM cart in (Real Bout, for example, seems especially sensitive to the ARP), but I couldn't do without the Memory Card/universal adapter features, at this point. It's just too convenient to leave one cart in my Japanese Saturn's slot that can save my games, and also allows me to swap NTSC-J > U whenever I like, no problem.

I wish there was a combo ram cart that also saved like the official memory cart. The way action replay does it is not ideal.
For real. In this day and age, with all kinds of fancy third party retro accessories popping out from everywhere, I though someone would've come up with a better all-in-one cart solution for the system.

You must be a wonderful teacher, if you get such awesome donations. :)

Seriously, I'm totally partial to Real Bout (Fatal Fury in general is the fighting game series I'm the most attached to, and for various reasons Real Bout FF is probably my favorite entry), but the Saturn port is the best you can get, in my opinion, aside from the Wii Virtual Console emulation.

That game has a very special place in my Saturn collection.

thanks! now i need a saturn...

IrishNinja

someone should run on that - "i wanna fix our public education system, and also make it so teachers can eat & still play hyper duel"

oh dave
you're gonna need a 2nd job m'man
oh man sounds expensive. is there a everdrive for saturn? or something like the s2 booting from a hdd?
Yeah, as a teacher, unless you are an engineering professor with tons of grants, this is probably true.

It's a shame that Americans are so averse to proper taxation that teachers can't even affors a decent Saturn collection.
haha, yeah i think i've been holding off
Yes you do. Long overdue.
is your collection mostly USA or imports?
You don't have a Saturn yet???=O
i really want a saturn to play Layer section

eEK!

Neo Member
oh man sounds expensive. is there a everdrive for saturn? or something like the s2 booting from a hdd?

GDEMU person also makes sd card based CD drive replacement for the Saturn. Unfortunately like the GDEMU it's a pain order. He has said he is working on a better manufacturing process though, so stock could improve this year.

Laws00

haha, yeah i think i've been holding off
is your collection mostly USA or imports?

i really want a saturn to play Layer section

Modded Sega Saturn.

And Pseudo Saturn through by use of an Action Replay

Glowsquid

I'm about to buy a Saturn for my birthday and I'm curious about under-the-radar and cheap-ish ("cheap" being defined as up to 60 in CAD) import games, because it's not an area I'm entirely knowledgeable about. I like pretty much everythign except JRPGs and rhythm games. It seems like nearly all of the cool arcade games have gone bananas in price ($200 for Wolf Fang, wtf) :/.

For reference I'm aready looking at the following games:

-Gungriffon 2
-Zero Divide: The Final Conflict
-Gundam Side Story trilogy
-Layer Section

TeaJay

Modded Sega Saturn.

And Pseudo Saturn through by use of an Action Replay

I like to use a modchip'ed Saturn so I can keep the AR cart as a backup for my save games. The Saturn internal memory is woefully tiny.

Kudos to you if you want to start collecting Saturn in this day and age, though. May your wallet be bottomless. (I'm happy to burn the expensive games for myself.)

Laws00

I like to use a modchip'ed Saturn so I can keep the AR cart as a backup for my save games. The Saturn internal memory is woefully tiny.

Kudos to you if you want to start collecting Saturn in this day and age, though. May your wallet be bottomless. (I'm happy to burn the expensive games for myself.)

I hear you. I have 4 in 1 cart. I thought about modding the cart.

I was on ebay and saw a damn good deal on a modded white boxes Japanese Saturn that played all regions and back ups and bought it.

Burning games, playing games, loving the saturn life!

I have a Rhea by the guy who does GDEmu. It works the same and this way I don't have to worry about my games falling apart every time I played them. That means I can play PDS more than once.

cj_iwakura

I'm about to buy a Saturn for my birthday and I'm curious about under-the-radar and cheap-ish ("cheap" being defined as up to 60 in CAD) import games, because it's not an area I'm entirely knowledgeable about. I like pretty much everythign except JRPGs and rhythm games. It seems like nearly all of the cool arcade games have gone bananas in price ($200 for Wolf Fang, wtf) :/.

For reference I'm aready looking at the following games:

-Gungriffon 2
-Zero Divide: The Final Conflict
-Gundam Side Story trilogy
-Layer Section

Macross: Do You Remember Love is dirt cheap, and I enjoy it. Also has clips from the film.

(crossposting from pickups thread and other threads, sorry for annoying lol) After a lifetime of dreaming/planning I finally had the chance to visit Japan for two weeks last month. Aside from exploring and enjoying all Tokyo had to offer, I spent a considerable amount of time hunting down some games that've been on my hitlist for years. (Apologies in advance for the horrible Iphone pic quality). BTW the claim that Tokyo is a dearth for deals is categorically false. On Saturn I really wanted to focus on getting those Taito shooters and other shooters i've been dying to have like Metal Black and Night Striker that were unreasonably priced online. There I paid easily less than half our rates.

19758234_1574897915856512_402877339_n_zpsfmsmvtyy.jpg

(crossposting from pickups thread and other threads, sorry for annoying lol) After a lifetime of dreaming/planning I finally had the chance to visit Japan for two weeks last month. Aside from exploring and enjoying all Tokyo had to offer, I spent a considerable amount of time hunting down some games that've been on my hitlist for years. (Apologies in advance for the horrible Iphone pic quality). BTW the claim that Tokyo is a dearth for deals is categorically false. On Saturn I really wanted to focus on getting those Taito shooters and other shooters i've been dying to have like Metal Black and Night Striker that were unreasonably priced online. There I paid easily less than half our rates.

i LOOOOOOVE shooters!!!! congrats

Yo, save some for me.

Galdelico

Awesome.
It's alsways fantastic to see major hauls, even more when they put together so many different genres. ^_-

Out of curiosity, does your copy of Game Tengoku for the PS1 come with the 3 cards in their packet? I'm still trying to understand if they are supposed to be included by default, or if it's some kind of early bonus, since it seems very random, according to eBay auctions for example.

Awesome.
It's alsways fantastic to see major hauls, even more when they put together so many different genres. ^_-

Out of curiosity, does your copy of Game Tengoku for the PS1 come with the 3 cards in their packet? I'm still trying to understand if they are supposed to be included by default, or if it's some kind of early bonus, since it seems very random, according to eBay auctions for example.

No cards but for the first game on saturn I did actually find a reasonably priced copy of the VHS/shirt collectors edition. Didn't want to haul it back in my luggage though so decided to not pick it up.

Galdelico

Mine didn't have them either, but seemed pretty complete, otherwise (spine and regcard included), and it still had its orginal wrap, only opened at the bottom. Probably, they just weren't part of the standard set.

And I have the Gokuraku Pack for the Saturn. Aside from the VHS - which I never had the chance to watch, here in Italy :D - it isn't really any different from the regular print. I wouldn't call it a must have.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Nice haul, wish I was buying Saturn stuff back in my traveling day. So many trips to Japan and all I ever bought was a wii...

piggychan

after all these years I'm surprised no one has done a vid to showcase the debug mode in Silhouette Mirage, SS version of course.

on the treasure logo press buttons: X + B + Z and START then just turn on debug mode. It's a little tricky to use and sometimes it can crash your machine but it's worth plaything around with..

https://youtu.be/3TySBhlm-cM

eXistor

Had a few cool Saturn games on the way, but it seems they were lost in the mail. A few rares in there, so I'm a bit bummed out, but here's hoping they'll arrive anyway. I'll post them if they arrive.

Dave, is it just you havent picked on up, or had a deal on a good one?
i think the software prices scare me. this and the pc engine i've been looking at weekly but been gunshy about taking the plunge.
i see saturn consoles for about 50-70 bucks when i'm at the retro-store weekly but skip over them and run to the ps1 snes rack. i'm still thinking about the right time or if i should. lol (i probably will get it!)

Galdelico

Are the Sonic games in Sonic Jam ports? Or Mega Drive emulation?

I've been playing with it a bit, in the last few days, and I noticed differences and tiny little glitches that just don't belong to the MD originals. Visually, it looks great (even if I would swear the colors are different, with both console running in RGB through the OSSC to my LG monitor), but it happens - sometimes - that the stage music stops after a super-speed/invincibility jingle, or that fade-to-black transitions between levels show text flashing for a fraction of a second... It seems Jam doesn't fully reach the level of polish of the MD Sonic titles, which made me wonder about the nature of the game itself.

Are the Sonic games in Sonic Jam ports? Or Mega Drive emulation?

I've been playing with it a bit, in the last few days, and I noticed differences and tiny little glitches that just don't belong to the MD originals. Visually, it looks great (even if I would swear the colors are different, with both console running in RGB through the OSSC to my LG monitor), but it happens - sometimes - that the stage music stops after a super-speed/invincibility jingle, or that fade-to-black transitions between levels show text flashing for a fraction of a second... It seems Jam doesn't fully reach the level of polish of the MD Sonic titles, which made me wonder about the nature of the game itself.

I'm pretty sure they are ports. You're right that there are a few differences here and there - like using CD Audio instead of FM synthesis which can be a bit jarring at times. There are a few enhancements to the graphics as well if I remember correctly.

They're ports alright, but I don't believe anything in the game uses redbook audio; think it's all audio streams.

They kinda botched some of the sound effects in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, alas; breaking badniks sounds weird. Doesn't make much sense, either, since it's the same sound effect across all the games on the Genesis, but in Jam, only S3&K gets a weird variant. IDGI.

Conezays

Hope everyone's having a good summer and getting lots of Sega in ;)

It's been a busy year for me so a little less Sega than I'd like. Thinking of finally diving into this beauty.

Thinking about playing MKR after I finish Shining Force 3 so I started watching the anime.

Hope everyone's having a good summer and getting lots of Sega in ;)

It's been a busy year for me so a little less Sega than I'd like. Thinking of finally diving into this beauty.

Is this the fan translation?

Saoshyant

Here's an uncommon question: there's a bunch of Tenchi Muyo titles on the Saturn. What are they and are any of them worth checking out?

Top Bottom