• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

PS2 versions would have sold more but I still don't know if some of the games like Jet Set Radio Future would have been a success on there either.

VF4 was PS2 exclusive but I think that one was better as a multiplat or on another system lol.

Yeah, I feel like Xbox would've had the horsepower to do an arcade-perfect conversion of VF4

Khaz

i wanna co-sign this but with the cart slot we saw on the saturn, ehhhhhh

When I first saw pictures of the Saturn prototype back then, when we knew the games would be on CD, I totally believed it meant a Megadrive compatibility. Would have been dope.

When I first saw pictures of the Saturn prototype back then, when we knew the games would be on CD, I totally believed it meant a Megadrive compatibility. Would have been dope.

Would have been way past cool.

Saturn was already expensive af tho, I don't think adding Genesis BC would make for a consumer-friendly price point.

eXistor

My games finally came in, stupid custom was holding for weeks so I got to pay a little extra...oh well, I'm happy they're in anyway. Gradius Gaiden is PS1 obviously, but it fits in nicely with the rest. Batsugun and Metal Black came with spine-cards as well, fun little bonus that I didnlt expect. Also Cotton 2 came with a calendar, which I also didn't know existed.

tQKxmU4.jpg

piggychan

My games finally came in, stupid custom was holding for weeks so I got to pay a little extra...oh well, I'm happy they're in anyway. Gradius Gaiden is PS1 obviously, but it fits in nicely with the rest. Batsugun and Metal Black came with spine-cards as well, fun little bonus that I didnlt expect. Also Cotton 2 came with a calendar, which I also didn't know existed.

tQKxmU4.jpg

That metal black cover looks soooo sexy.

Cotton 2 also supports Capcom's 4meg RAM cart too but the extra details are small.. I think you definitely get a few voice sample in there. It's got a decent learning curve too I might add with street fighter-esque special attacks and chaining combos.

eXistor

Jeez, that must've been a pricey package... unless you got really lucky.
Nah, it was pretty pricey :) I just got my holiday bonus and decided to treat myself, I'm not going on vacation or anything, so I figured what the hell. I didn't pay eBay prices though, so there's that.

TeaJay

Does anyone know what differences there are between the two models of Saturn Action Replay 4M carts, since the other one has a comm port and the other one doesn't?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

tQKxmU4.jpg

I passed on a Sub $150 Batsugun... kick my self every day since then. Think that and Cotton Boomerang are the 2 games I want the most now, maybe Xmas.

eXistor

I passed on a Sub $150 Batsugun... kick my self every day since then. Think that and Cotton Boomerang are the 2 games I want the most now, maybe Xmas.

Yeah the prices are crazy. I try to limit myself to a few premium-priced games a year, but I almost always break my own rules...

Warnen

Yeah the prices are crazy. I try to limit myself to a few premium-priced games a year, but I almost always break my own rules...

yeah had to clear a room (new babies room) my budget was what I sold that stuff for (mostly masterpiece transformers). Only have a few 100 left now lol

piggychan

Well I don't remember if I have posted some of these or not thanks to photobucket kicking the bucket recently but, these are my humble recent gets

Apart from Falcom Classics 2 which has been resent back to an eBay seller.
ozCJWj9.jpg

I think I might need a bigger storage box for my Saturn games now...

syhnsPE.jpg

EDIT

Also.... Had to grab that money box.
ojPXDfe.jpg

AmyS

Thanks! I've got XMvsSF w/ original 4MB RAM cart on the way.

My next Saturn game will definitely be Darius II. I remember playing the heck out of Sagaia on Genesis but now I want the arcade-quality Saturn port.

Galdelico

Not sure you're gonna love it, though.
It simulates the arcade original's wide screen mode, but not at the same screen resolution, iirc. On the other hand, the zoom-in setting crops out alot of play area, making it more difficult to manage than Darius R, in my opinion.

Sounds odd, but I still prefer playing Darius II on my Mega Drive. And Gaiden on the Saturn, of course.

AmyS

Not sure you're gonna love it, though.
It simulates the arcade original's wide screen mode, but not at the same screen resolution, iirc. On the other hand, the zoom-in setting crops out alot of play area, making it more difficult to manage than Darius R, in my opinion.

Sounds odd, but I still prefer playing Darius II on my Mega Drive. And Gaiden on the Saturn, of course.

Yeah I know about the zoom in & out feature with L&R buttons. I remember reading about it around 1999 or so, and also I've seen some videos.

(Retro Core, Battle of the Ports)

https://youtu.be/GJb9-bQ0K-M?t=14m40s

Usenet:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/alt.games.video.import.japanese/qAyaptaBpgo/aEYWmg5Mb_sJ

Subject: Darius II for Sega Saturn
Date: 1996/07/26

Just got it today and it is great. The Megadrive/Genesis version does
NOT compare. This is based on the complete arcade version, not that
cut-down 16-bit one. Since the arcade version used 2 monitors ala
Ninja Warriors(Taito's other multimonitor game) or X-Men(Konami's),
you can use the L&R buttons to adjust the playfield size. You can
zoom up REAL close, or letterbox the heck out of it. I recommend
shrinking the screen as small as it goes, then tapping the R button
once. If you don't have it fully letterboxed, the screen will pan
with you when you go near the edges. (WARNING: If you have it zoomed
in all the way, enemies can blast you from off screen. At least
letterbox it a little to get a wider view.) If you've played the
Genesis version, you'll see differences (i.e. Red Crab appears in
zones G/H/I/J, just like the arcade. Also there are other background
scenes which were cut from the Genesis game. You also go INSIDE(!)
Alloy Lantern after defeating it.) This is more challenging than the
Genesis version. Your ship's computer says "I always wanted a thing
called tuna sashimi" near the start of the game. LOL! The music is
some great stuff by Taito's sound team Zuntata (Galactic Attack, Bust
A Move 2, Darius Gaiden). This is pretty much as good as Darius
Gaiden (3).

IrishNinja

hey Laevateinn & co, i don't need it quite yet but what's a good deal on shining force premium disc? i saw it finally got translated & wanna reward myself when i finally finish the trilogy

hey Laevateinn & co, i don't need it quite yet but what's a good deal on shining force premium disc? i saw it finally got translated & wanna reward myself when i finally finish the trilogy

I got mine ages ago so I don't keep up on it but it looks like there were some that went for around 70 recently. It's definitely gone down a lot in price over the years.

If you see it for around that I would 100 % recommend it. It's nothing but fan service but if you're into the Shining series, it's a must have.

I didn't find out about the Premium disc until just after the promotion ended even though I imported the other scenarios (first things I ever imported). I had to buy it for a few hundred like a chump.

IrishNinja

sold! still gonna hold out for $50, offered a dude $55 a week or so ago for his $65 copy but he said take a hike. it's cool, again i know i can't even touch it till i finally tie everything up, just can't wait to complete the set.

piggychan

Got a Japanese Saturn, and also the Salamander Deluxe Pack !!

also, Grats AmyS I was thinking about getting a grey model again, no more worrying about white models yellowing..

yeah? never bought of them, do you have to use a proxy or what? wonder if the difference between them & ebay is worth the trouble

yup I had to use a proxy and you have to search with some knowledge of japanese. Shipping is also very high. Although I might have gotten lucky with that purchase...

I think I paid in total 1300 yen....
dQjDsUu.jpg

Plus the shipping..I always try and choose the cheapest even if the shipping can take a few weeks.
ZT4l58b.jpg

I find it kinda similar to ebay except I've never had to deal with any disputes on there so I don't know what the procedures are like, Plus some auctions don't except proxy buyers so you might not be able to bid on an item. I don't think you can ask a seller any questions either.

EDIT
Sometimes you can get a great deal on there but also the prices seem to have gotten higher over time. Almost matching ebay's. Plus you might have to deal with customs in your own country.

another auction I won recently on there.

The seller didn't mention that some were duplicates or those duplicate ones were slightly damaged.
gsUUWvz.jpg

However I did pay... minus proxy fees which was another 250-ish yen
B26ctDx.jpg

Shipping charge was 2000 yen tho..

AmyS

also, Grats AmyS I was thinking about getting a grey model again, no more worrying about white models yellowing..

Thanks piggychan. I had a U.S. Saturn in early 1996 and then another one in 2002 with an ST-Key for playing imports (but no RAM in those). I really love the gray Japanese Saturn.
The only thing that could top it is the original pre-production silver that never reached the market in '94.

Edit: Post office delivery!

5FiBw1b.jpg

36if7ck.jpg

piggychan

After you've beaten that game you should try out a few codes for it. It takes up another level especially the speed select and boost the game up to 8 stars. Although it will make the game unplayable at that speed it's a marvel to see it running on the Saturn.

oUwiae6.jpg

AmyS

After you've beaten that game you should try out a few codes for it. It takes up another level especially the speed select and boost the game up to 8 stars. Although it will make the game unplayable at that speed it's a marvel to see it running on the Saturn.

Thank you very much for those codes, I can't wait to try them out.

Whata' blast this game is, and a visual feast. I really understand now why this port was such a shock when it was released 20 years ago this November.

I wonder if Saturn could've handled Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes with the same 4MB RAM cart that allowed XMvsSF and MSHvsSF to be basically flawless. I owned it on Dreamcast in early 2000, but that wasn't a test for the hardware and all the RAM Dreamcast had over a Saturn + 4MB cart.

Galdelico

I need Salamander
I need Layer Section
You'll find yourself needing so much more than that.
Do it. :)

Speaking of Buyee, a friend of mine is using it since a few months, now. Sure he found some fantastic deals, but all his packages so far got stopped and taxed by customs (Italy). All in all, he still saved a bit, but those fees really hit the bargain prices quite badly.

piggychan

Speaking of Buyee, a friend of mine is using it since a few months, now. Sure he found some fantastic deals, but all his packages so far got stopped and taxed by customs (Italy). All in all, he still saved a bit, but those fees really hit the bargain prices quite badly.

I get that problem with ebay too here in the UK. Anything bought outside the EU and declared more than 15.00 GBP will be taxed and then they add handling and administrative fees. So I usually try and buy stuff under that price and sadly if the auction goes over then I stop my bids. Not all sellers are willing to lower customs invoice and I doubt buyee will either sadly.

EDIT

This guy had a weird auction. Shining force III translated discs for scenarios 2 and 3.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-SATU...382635012?clk_rvr_id=1257679558892&rmvSB=true

Don't think those games under there were repros too ??

nX1ODZn.jpg

frZ2mjW.jpg

Galdelico

Yeah, exactly. Apparently that's not something you can ask for/get from Buyee. My friend is a Neo Geo collector, and always get his packages marked as per their actual value.

On eBay, I usually ask the seller (I buy from Japan 99% of the times, very rarely from the the US) if it's possible to combine a registered postage with a gift + 10USD declaration on the parcel. I never get huge packages, and so far - I'm talking about years and years of eBay shopping - I haven't been hit by customs fees once.

TeaJay

Yeah, exactly. Apparently that's not something you can ask for/get from Buyee. My friend is a Neo Geo collector, and always get his packages marked as per their actual value.

On eBay, I usually ask the seller (I buy from Japan 99% of the times, very rarely from the the US) if it's possible to combine a registered postage with a gift + 10USD declaration on the parcel. I never get huge packages, and so far - I'm talking about years and years of eBay shopping - I haven't been hit by customs fees once.

I suppose the seller might get in trouble with the service provider or their local government for presenting false information to Customs. I wouldn't do it if I'm selling something abroad either. Some sellers do it anyway without asking, though.

I've ordered a lot of stuff from eBay in my day and maybe had 5-10 parcels that I had to pay customs (over here it's 22% of the total - postage fees included). It's random, since there's no way they have the resources to investigate every package. I'm prepared for it when buying, but it still sucks if you get custom'd.

NOW YOU GUYS TELL ME

We don't want that shit getting out.

I get that problem with ebay too here in the UK. Anything bought outside the EU and declared more than 15.00 GBP will be taxed and then they add handling and administrative fees. So I usually try and buy stuff under that price and sadly if the auction goes over then I stop my bids. Not all sellers are willing to lower customs invoice and I doubt buyee will either sadly.

Maybe it's because I'm a filthy yank but I don't remember this ever being an issue for me. Buyee is fulfilled through tenso. Since they're linked do they get the price from your yahoo auction bid or do you manually fill it out like other tenso orders? I haven't used buyee since before I went to Japan last so I can't remember. Most things I've bought from buyee have been a few hundred or higher.

When I use tenso on it's own I usually undercut the true price.

piggychan

We don't want that shit getting out.

Maybe it's because I'm a filthy yank but I don't remember this ever being an issue for me. Buyee is fulfilled through tenso. Since they're linked do they get the price from your yahoo auction bid or do you manually fill it out like other tenso orders? I haven't used buyee since before I went to Japan last so I can't remember. Most things I've bought from buyee have been a few hundred or higher.

When I use tenso on it's own I usually undercut the true price.

They fill it in at their Japan Post centers. From the looks of an older customs invoice sheet I have from them it looks like it's just the final auction price, they do not include their proxy fees or the postage you pay to your destination.

Warnen

Yeah really not safe for seller,what if buyer says they didn't get item and your "proof" shows you only sent something worth $10. I do all my shipping via eBay (list weights and measurements as I'm listing item) so doesn't even give me the option to do that yet doesn't stop people asking me to.

IrishNinja

man, selling shining force central's translation project feels scummy, but then im sure the translated repros i bought years back were much the same i guess

AmyS

Hey Amy, how do you scan these magazines? They look perfect.

I didn't, this is what I've been able to find using resources like Retromags.com outofprintarchive.com, and Google's Internet Archive --credit goes to the people who tireless scan game magazines :)

Top Bottom