• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

KC-Slater

Really? I always thought it was a one-way thing (NA -> JP), It works on JP systems too?

Before I installed my RHEA, I used it on my modded (to boot JP region games) NA Saturn to play NA titles...again.

It works out nicely because NA games don't lean on the cart slot as much, so in the event you want to use a first-party RAM cart to play a fighter or something, the console boots JP by default.

Looking it up, he didn't have any involvement with Burning Rangers. Still, he's also done:

• The European soundtrack for Shinobi Legions (Shinobi X there)
  • Music for Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
  • Metropolis Street Racer
  • Headhunter
  • Time Eater's theme in Sonic Generations (as well as a few remixes of his older work)
  • A good chunk of the soundtrack for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • The soundtracks for all three Sonic Boom games
I don't feel most of it hits quite the same highs as his Sonic work for the Saturn, but there's some genuinely great stuff in there (like, I really dig Time Eater's theme, even though the boss fight itself sucked).

You going to mod it and install pseudo saturn?
i started looking at it as soon as you mentioned it.
This thing is awesome. Nice get.
thanks!
or that's nice news.
Really? I always thought it was a one-way thing (NA -> JP), It works on JP systems too?
yeah i looked it up before purchasing bc i'm in the same boat. and yes! it makes any console (with a cart slot) region free.

eXistor

Some new additions to the library:

gXPe1DU.jpg

piggychan

I didn't get much positive feels for Kingdom Grandprix maybe you will, Jikkyo Osharberi Parodius I like quite a lot and just seeing your pic made me want to load up the game again.

LVjcliN.jpg

e5NxUny.jpg

eXistor

I didn't get much positive feels for Kingdom Grandprix maybe you will, Jikkyo Osharberi Parodius I like quite a lot and just seeing your pic made me want to load up the game again.

It's one of those game I just wanted to have because it's so unique. I played a bit yesterday and it seems alright. I have no idea how you can actually win a race, for now it seems impossible, but it seems fun enough. I like the graphics.

zmet

I didn't like Kingdom Grandprix much either until I did the code to change it to pure shooter without any of the racing mechanics.

Black Fire is actually pretty fun with a Mission Stick. Overhated game.

It's a very simmish helicopter flight game from military sim-game maker NovaLogic, on a console. And yeah, you really need the Mission Stick to enjoy the game properly. It's not surprising that most people dislike it.

Myself, I'd say that it's alright. I have the game but haven't played much of it, but that's just because vehicular sims in general have never been my thing. It seems decent to good, but it's hard for me to judge it...

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have completed Sonic 3D Blast?

Feels like I'm the only whose actually bothered to do it, lol.

I have all three versions, but have only finished it for Genesis. I didn't get the good ending, but oh well. It's a good game though, definitely under-rated.

Several times. Only version I haven't cleared at least once is the Genesis version, funnily enough (though I do own it as of around a year ago).

Helps that the PC version saved your progress, so that being my first version helped ease me into the game. Really weird that the Saturn version doesn't have that; not so weird that the Genesis version doesn't, if disappointing given both its length and the existence of Sonic 3 already setting a precedent.

Yeah, considering how slow-paced the game is, it really is borderline unforgivable that neither console version has saving... it is beatable, sure, but it's a bit tedious to have to play it all at once.

I kinda enjoy R...got 100% a few times years ago. I still listen to the soundtrack every now and then, since it's super awesome. :)

And I love both Sonic Adventure games. I've replayed them tons of time on my Dreamcast, and I replayed the first on Xbox 360 when I got that Dreamcast Collection disc (which I got for Space Channel 5: Part 2, but played the other games quite a bit, too).

piggychan

jesus, hell of a resume!

i wish i could get into Sonic R, it clearly lends itself to learning the tracks to adjust for wonky controls, but yeah that OST is fantastic

minus the Burning Rangers!

I like Sonic R as a tech demo but I just can't seem to play it as well as I'd like

IrishNinja

yeah, see - ive seen some good videos on it and it really does look like if i spent a few days with it consistently, it'd be a lot more fun. its just, picking up & playing, it does feel like a work in progress!

I want to like Somic R but I have so many options now that I will never take the time to learn to play it properly. If I had gotten it as a kid I’d probably be talking shit right now but I didn’t so I’ll never truly appreciate it. At least it looks great and has Redbook Audio.

meppi

Just found out that Segagagadomein is no more. :(
Is there any backup of the site that one can download somewhere or something?
It was a great resource to look up some of the stranger stuff that I used from time to time, so having an offline backup would be brilliant.

Gonna have to see to create backups from some of my favourite classic sites as these things happen too often it seems.

It was a great resource to look up some of the stranger stuff that I used from time to time, so having an offline backup would be brilliant.

you used to be able to access it from the wayback machine, just get a 404 when you try to access it now though...

Is satakore a good replacement? That seems like a good resource for Saturn stuff.

satakore is good for having the full library catalogued but segagagadomain had reviews for everything listed which stopped me buying a lot of rubbish like planet joker!

Khaz

I recall you can find it on the waybackmachine / archive.org

Yeah it was a really good resource to know what that obscure Japanese game was about.

meppi

Damn... Might have to try and contact Yakumo and ask if it's possible for me to host a mirror on my own site just to preserve it...
If he still has the whole site directory on HDD.

Work it out (work it out)
Think it out
Talk about it
Make it happen
We’ve got to make it real

Hey SaturnGAF!
i finally got my dream games today in the mail =)

Darius Gaiden is sealed for 36 and Salamander for 60 plus 7 bucks combined shipping minus a 15 off 75 ebay coupon =)
ig6ZOdmh.jpg

RI1QhGVh.jpg

Saturn is exciting.

meppi

That's just gorgeous! :D

Been playing my Saturn and dreamcast this weekend a bunch with a friend as well so the bug has gotten to me once more.
Already ordered a Real Bout Fatal Fury Special and I'm looking for a SFZ3 copy as we speak. ;)

Little update on Segagaga Domain. Yakumo got back to me and he still has a backup on his computer, so the site is not lost.
But he's looking in a way to bring it back in some form or other. So that's great news in my book. :)
From the looks of it, if he decides to not do it himself, he seems to be open for me to host the site for preservation instead.
There wouldn't be any updates or anything in that case, but at least everything that was up would be accessible.

eXistor

Hey SaturnGAF!
i finally got my dream games today in the mail =)

Darius Gaiden is sealed for 36 and Salamander for 60 plus 7 bucks combined shipping minus a 15 off 75 ebay coupon =) .

I think I had that very same combo a while back :). Darius Gaiden is cool as shit, the soundtrack alone makes it worth it. Best Darius game I've played by a country mile.

That's just gorgeous! :D

Been playing my Saturn and dreamcast this weekend a bunch with a friend as well so the bug has gotten to me once more.
Already ordered a Real Bout Fatal Fury Special and I'm looking for a SFZ3 copy as we speak. ;)
real bout fatal fury was my first saturn game that was gifted to me by one of my student's father. his wife made hi throw out his saturn so he gave me the last game he had.
I think I had that very same combo a while back :). Darius Gaiden is cool as shit, the soundtrack alone makes it worth it. Best Darius game I've played by a country mile.
oh nice! we think alike =D
Wonderful!! Congrats :)
finally! i kept staring at your pics of salamander and needed to get it =)
Damn good games there! I have the US Darius but I am super jealous of your Salamander!
oh man! those 15 off 75 ebay coupons really come in handy to bring the price down. (didn't know there was a us version of darius gaiden)

IrishNinja

Gonna have to see to create backups from some of my favourite classic sites as these things happen too often it seems.

wait, i don't think i even saw that site - what was it known for?

meppi

AmyS

finally! i kept staring at your pics of salamander and needed to get it =)

Good call to pick up that compilation. I'm shocked how good the original Salamander & Life Force are. I remember being in awe of the NES version the first times I played it with a friend back in elementary school. I never saw the arcade game until many years later. So good having this at home to play on a CRT instead of mame. And then, Salamander 2, wow :)

Now I need to get Darius Gaiden!

sarcoa

Does anyone own Keriotosse?

I was trying to find some more obscure Saturn games and found a bunch of videos of Keriotosse on YouTube. It's not, however, available from anyone on eBay and hasn't been listed for sale in 90 days. It doesn't appear at Amazon either.

It's only been mentioned once at neogaf, ever. This game exists, right?

I was trying to find some more obscure Saturn games and found a bunch of videos of Keriotosse on YouTube. It's not, however, available from anyone on eBay and hasn't been listed for sale in 90 days. It doesn't appear at Amazon either.

'tuber with 100K subs mentioned it so now they're all in collections

Saoshyant

Hi, I own this. It's basically a proto-version of Power Stone by people who were neither Capcom nor working on a 3D powerhouse like the Dreamcast. It's still reasonably fun. It is quite uncommon on ebay, though, I bought mine last year because it popped up in one of my saved searches. Costed about 45€.

I imagine it had a limited run what with both the publisher and developer being non-entities. The publisher Masudaya didn't stick around for long nor had many titles under their belt. The developers are a completely unknown, apparently. I was trying to find more info about them to spice up this post a bit, but nada.

'tuber with 100K subs mentioned it so now they're all in collections

Oh, and yeah, this probably didn't help matters at all.

Top Bottom