• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

piggychan

I don't get no lines going across my screen before it powers out though, even though I've had that model since 2005-ish it's only just started acting up. Hmmm going to open it up tomorrow when the sun is up.

EDIT:

There better not be any spiders or cockroaches in there when I open up the chassis....

IrishNinja

sigh. My Saturn has developed a fault today. It keeps powering off every around 5 minutes of turning on. I can't turn it back on straight away but certainly it can power on and load up a game after waiting a few minutes which kinda suggests to me it might not be serious... *touch wood*

Was just getting back into playing STHA

yeah, my first guess too would be overheating

also, <3 for STHA!

IrishNinja

im a few issues shy of a full run on Sega Visions

Dreamcast magazine was much shorter but harder for me to find, only have a few of the Team Sega newsletter thing from SMS era but yeah, i fuck with all of that!

im a few issues shy of a full run on Sega Visions

Dreamcast magazine was much shorter but harder for me to find, only have a few of the Team Sega newsletter thing from SMS era but yeah, i fuck with all of that!

I had a huge library of Gamepro and EGM magazines but I only read one issue of Sega Visions.

Glowsquid

Being a 3D game, is it better on PS1?

I've seen some nut on a panzer dragoon forum claims the Saturn version has a better framerate due to heavily using VDP2 for the ground textures (which is a thing a few games like Mass Destruction and Independence Day did to be better than their PS1 counterpart) butn ot having the PS1 version and all of the videos of that version online being emulators, I have no way to verify the claim.

What I can observe, however, is that the PS1 and Saturn versions of Robo Pit have some major and rather arbitrary differences despite being released not far from each-other. The menus are different. The opponent list is entirely different between the two versions and so are the bosses. The PS1 has an exclusive type of legs while Saturn has an exclusive weapon. The PS1 version starts you with two pre-built robots while Saturn has you starting with creating your own bot. The Saturn has an exclusive "Training Mode" where you fight against three randomly-selected guys at the same time (so on PS1 there's no way to fight more than one robot), and more. So yeah, it's odd!

Either way the Saturn version looks good, runs good and the game's control scheme translate well to its controller so I'm not too fussed.

piggychan

I think my PSU board is different from that.

My SS innards, UK Model 2
m5Ifm5L.jpg

Does anyone know what model/power this is? It's the first thing I want to try first and if it fails I better get a professional.
aG0WYg7.jpg

EDIT

I managed to replace the fuse and got the Saturn running for a few hours with no problem then... power cut again.

Saoshyant

I managed to replace the fuse and got the Saturn running for a few hours with no problem then... power cut again.

That doesn't sound good. Hope you manage to fix it and, if you do, please share what you did -- it's always important to document repair experiences on vintage, collectable hardware like this.

MikeMyers

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have completed Sonic 3D Blast?

Feels like I'm the only whose actually bothered to do it, lol.

I beat it as a kid once. Don't think I "fully" beat it by getting all the emeralds though, unlike with like all the other Sonic games I've played though.

Several times. Only version I haven't cleared at least once is the Genesis version, funnily enough (though I do own it as of around a year ago).

Helps that the PC version saved your progress, so that being my first version helped ease me into the game. Really weird that the Saturn version doesn't have that; not so weird that the Genesis version doesn't, if disappointing given both its length and the existence of Sonic 3 already setting a precedent.

Several times. Only version I haven't cleared at least once is the Genesis version, funnily enough (though I do own it as of around a year ago).

Helps that the PC version saved your progress, so that being my first version helped ease me into the game. Really weird that the Saturn version doesn't have that; not so weird that the Genesis version doesn't, if disappointing given both its length and the existence of Sonic 3 already setting a precedent.

gotta save money on cart production, especially since it was such a late release, I guess

AdamisFox

I grew up with the Genesis version, which I finished lots of times, but IIRC I've finished the Saturn version at least once !

Peltz

I beat it on Genesis back in the day. It was a challenge for me as a kid. But I actually thought it was a legit good game back then.

Haven't played it in decades though. I still have my original cart and may try it again sometime. I think it has an unfairly bad rep from what I remember.

Khaz

You going to mod it and install pseudo saturn?

Were they able to reinstate some of the original functions of the AR? (RAM cartridge, memory cartridge, AR codes) I remember reading they wanted to at least get the RAM function back, but I didn't keep up with it.

Laws00

Were they able to reinstate some of the original functions of the AR? (RAM cartridge, memory cartridge, AR codes) I remember reading they wanted to at least get the RAM function back, but I didn't keep up with it.

I have no idea.

I have no need for it play imports or back ups anymore since I got A modded sega Saturn early this year

It just serves for being a ram cart, memory cart, and ar code thing now.

Only thing I heard was the ram being useable so far but that was like maybe at the beginning of the year as well too

I should look into Psuedo Saturn. I only have my JP Saturn hooked up at the moment, and it limits my access to my western library except for the very few multiregion games like Dark Savior

I want the Saturn one. I mean, the Saturn version is technically better, right?
Pretty much a straight upgrade, frankly. Only real downer are the added load times, as sixteen-bit noted, though I don't think they're too unbearable.

Unlike sixteen-bit, though, I much prefer the Jacques soundtrack to the Senoue/Maeda one (though Maeda's half of the OST is still really good! ...as well as the two of Senoue's tracks that wound up in Adventure for some reason).

Top Bottom